Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I missed when mullen picked him up on a 'glib" comment. What did Ray say. I couldn't hear over the kettle boiling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Think it was that Mullin never had an abortion.:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

bobbyss wrote: »
    I missed when mullen picked him up on a 'glib" comment. What did Ray say. I couldn't hear over the kettle boiling!!

You need a new one... you never know what important info you'll miss with that kettle!

3 ad`s and all for RTE shows :eek::eek:

As good as told the Nuacht to piss off there..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Well, one things for sure - that was Rónán Mullen's first broadcast with Ray D'Arcy and his last!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

BarryD wrote: »
    Well, one things for sure - that was Rónán Mullen's first broadcast with Ray D'Arcy and his last!!

Yeah, Raymond well out of his depth there.

I don't like Ronan Mullen, but he really put the little guy in his box.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

' "Game of Throw-ins" by Paul Howard. The 16th book of the Ross O Carroll Kelly trilogy'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

sligojoek wrote: »
    ' "Game of Throw-ins" by Paul Howard. The 16th book of the Ross O Carroll Kelly trilogy'

He really should pack in all that Ross O'Carroll Kelly shyte. It might have been mildly amusing once, but now he's flogging a long dead horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

And unfortunately Ray has the least amount of time left for the interview that he was most capable of conducting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,362 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ronán must have been the first guest ever that he hasn't said "you must come back in again" to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

He really should pack in all that Ross O'Carroll Kelly shyte. It might have been mildly amusing once, but now he's flogging a long dead horse.

When people stop buying the horses, he'll stop flogging them. :P

Yeah. The earlier stuff was good. I got one of the newer ones in a charity shop lately and it was sh1te. He's gone all into spelling words how they sound in other accents. If you know what I mean. It slows down the flow of reading the book trying to work out what the character is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I think Crowley is trying to mooch a job in RTE by doing this gig.

She has an inside man there, as she got on famously with Tubs the last time she was on the LLS ;)
    Poor bear would die of starvation if all he had to eat wad D'Arcy
    The bear could use Tubs for a toothpick afterwards :D
    bobbyss wrote: »

That's nothing compared to the steam coming outta Ray's ears after being told, "that you've being caught out twice before"
    & almost daily "I'm paying for your wages"

Expect the BAI to get complaints, as there was only one side being heard of, as Ray crashed & burned there.

It certainly was a bizarre hour with Barry Cowan on Loiveline & Ronan here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

He has a duty to represent all the public's views, not just his own private agendas.

You talking about Ray or the Senator there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

That's nothing compared to the steam coming outta Ray's ears after being told, "that you've being caught out twice before"
    & almost daily "I'm paying for your wages"

Expect the BAI to get complaints, as there was only one side being heard of, as Ray crashed & burned there.

It certainly was a bizarre hour with Barry Cowan on Loiveline & Ronan here! :)

If you listen to D'arcy often enough, you'll begin to see through his little tricks. Ray has this nasty habit of making a snide little comment after a guest speaks and then immediately changing the subject by asking a completely different question, thus almost guaranteeing himself the last word on any particular topic. Unlike Darcy, Mullen actually does his research and was waiting to ambush whenever the chance came.

So when D'arcy was reading out the text that said, paraphrasing, "that man has obviously never been through an abortion himself", and Ray came in with his snidey "you haven't have ya" comment, and was getting ready to move on to the next text, Mullen instantly pounced and gave him a second ticking off about his standards and paying his wages etc. Knowing he was bang to rights, all D'arcy could do was take it, no doubt raging inside. It was a bit like savaging a dead sheep, in fairness, but it was good listening all the same.

80s pop and Ross O Carroll Kelly: thats the level he should stick to. Truly an appalling broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

If you listen to D'arcy often enough, you'll begin to see through his little tricks. Ray has this nasty habit of making a snide little comment after a guest speaks and then immediately changing the subject by asking a completely different question, thus almost guaranteeing himself the last word on any particular topic. Unlike Darcy, Mullen actually does his research and was waiting to ambush whenever the chance came.

So when D'arcy was reading out the text that said, paraphrasing, "that man has obviously never been through an abortion himself", and Ray came in with his snidey "you haven't have ya" comment, and was getting ready to move on to the next text, Mullen instantly pounced and gave him a second ticking off about his standards and paying his wages etc. Knowing he was bang to rights, all D'arcy could do was take it, no doubt raging inside. It was a bit like savaging a dead sheep, in fairness, but it was good listening all the same.

80s pop and Ross O Carroll Kelly: thats the level he should stick to. Truly an appalling broadcaster.
    Couldnt agree more. I was mad that I had to keep getting out of the truck to do deliverie s, ill have to listen to the podcast to make sure I missed nothing. It was a delight to hear Ray getting stuffed. Hes a right bully, a big man talking about how wrong other people are until one pops up in the studio and puts him back in his place. Personally, im pro choice, its not my business what people do with themselves, but in times of war, my enemys enemy is my friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Mullen was right to call D'Arcy on him being a pro life advocate. He didnt like hearing it but it's better that he has Ronan Mullen tell him the straight truth, rather than continually having the BAI making judgments against him. He's not mature enough to carry out such debates, so he should not be allowed to do so.

A professional broadcaster like Pat Kenny or Gay Byrne can conduct and interview and you will never know how they feel about the topic. But with D'Arcy his opinions are transparent.... He's subtle.. not directly airing his opinions, but he asks nothing but loaded questions, sighs when somebody says something that he doesnt agree with. And constantly interrupts people that he doesnt agree with. RTE should just make the decision to take anything serious away from him, leave him with the X Factor and those pretty blonde triplets who have just taken their clothes off for some lad's mag.

That should be enough of an intellectual challenge for him.

Mullen was right to call D'Arcy on him being a pro life advocate. He didnt like hearing it but it's better that he has Ronan Mullen tell him the straight truth, rather than continually having the BAI making judgments against him. He's not mature enough to carry out such debates, so he should not be allowed to do so.

A professional broadcaster like Pat Kenny or Gay Byrne can conduct and interview and you will never know how they feel about the topic. But with D'Arcy his opinions are transparent.... He's subtle.. not directly airing his opinions, but he asks nothing but loaded questions, sighs when somebody says something that he doesnt agree with. And constantly interrupts people that he doesnt agree with. RTE should just make the decision to take anything serious away from him, leave him with the X Factor and those pretty blonde triplets who have just taken their clothes off for some lad's mag.

That should be enough of an intellectual challenge for him.

I agree. I much preferred Derek to Ray. Mooney is no intellectual giant, to be fair, but he didn't try to mix it. He knew his level and pretty much stuck to it. And I like his wildlife shows!

Just to be balanced, though, Pat and Gaybo are great broadcasters but occasionally the mask did slip. Gay let himself down badly with Adams and Annie Murphy while Kenny had a serious blind spot when it came to climate change. I recall him having the activist John Gibbons on a few years ago when he was still with RTE and Kenny wasn't even professional enough to hide his disdain. It wasn't his finest hour to put it mildly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

"You've been caught out on that in the past......I help pay for your wages"

Brilliant :D

Even if I fundamentally disagree with everything else Mullen is saying.

• Advertisement

Just to be balanced, though, Pat and Gaybo are great broadcasters but occasionally the mask did slip.

I disagree. I have a dislike of broadcasters who 'run with the hare and hunt with the hounds'. Two faced is another term for it. Gaybo was expert at this and Joe Duffy learnt well there.

Pat Kenny to give him his due, is a lot more reliable in his viewpoints. You'd have a fair idea of how he will deal with a story and he doesn't compromise for the sake of popularity.

D'Arcy is the same, though perhaps a touch more opinionated. That's fine with me, as long as he's consistent in his opinions, whatever they may be. The problem with people here is that posters don't like his opinions.. which is a completely different matter.

There was only one bully on that show yesterday and it was Mr.Mullen - never mind his comments to Ray, it was his patronising and hectoring tone towards the English woman that got up my nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I disagree. I have a dislike of broadcasters who 'run with the hare and hunt with the hounds'. Two faced is another term for it. Gaybo was expert at this and Joe Duffy learnt well there.

Pat Kenny to give him his due, is a lot more reliable in his viewpoints. You'd have a fair idea of how he will deal with a story and he doesn't compromise for the sake of popularity.

D'Arcy is the same, though perhaps a touch more opinionated. That's fine with me, as long as he's consistent in his opinions, whatever they may be. The problem with people here is that posters don't like his opinions.. which is a completely different matter.

There was only one bully on that show yesterday and it was Mr.Mullen - never mind his comments to Ray, it was his patronising and hectoring tone towards the English woman that got up my nose.

I disagree with you here BarryD.

IMO, any serious current affairs broadcaster needs to be able to leave their own opinion at the door when necessary. D'Arcy is, IMO, incapable of that. He, like Chris Donoghue at times, is immediately on the attack when it's an issue he personally cares deeply about. If you're not willing to hear the person out who has an opposite opinion to you, play devil's advocate when the person on has the same opinion as your or just sit back and moderate when you've two guests on without taking sides, you shouldn't be discussing serious CA issues.

This isn't me having a pop at Ray either. The above aren't necessarily "bad" characteristics, it's just I don't feel he should be tackling and trying to debate serious topics.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    IMO, any serious current affairs broadcaster needs to be able to leave their own opinion at the door when necessary..

Never heard Gaybo, Duffy or Ryan exactly leaving their opinions at the door!!

But is there not a problem with your point? D'Arcy is not fronting a show that covers 'serious current affairs'.

It's a mid afternoon slot, open to a variety of approaches including the more personable style. You could argue that he shouldn't cover 'serious current affairs' but then what are you left with? The sort of pop froth that Mooney used to serve up? IMHO, there is room for a show that touches on all these things but where the presenter's personality shows through a bit more??

I can see where you're coming from here. When I talk about Gay Byrne's greatness, it is in terms of light entertainment and the role the flagship LLS played in a developing consciousness here. I don't think that can be denied. Of course, he's open to criticism about how he often hijacked items with his own narrow agenda. I mentioned Annie Murphy and Gerry Adams earlier. That's just two examples. There are many more.

But I think you make a mistake when you assume the anti-D'arcy agenda is do with his opinions. In fact, if you did a survey I think you'd probably find most people here would be pro-choice like D'arcy yet still would find his interview yesterday unsatisfactory. Yes, Mullen was a hectoring, rather annoying presence but still a lot of what he said was the truth.

I don't rate him as a broadcaster, it's as simple as that. His "informal, conversational" style, as advertised by RTE is just a mask for a lack of depth. It is almost made a virtue of that he doesn't do much prior research on his guests which just leads to too many bungled, confused items in my opinion. Fintan Warfield and Leona Maguire are two recent examples I can think of, both interviews were a mess as far as I'm concerned.

Oh well, listeners differ. I understand some of the criticisms that are leveled at Ray but it often seems here that there's a whole other agenda. He's not perfect, but not half as bad as people make out, IMHO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

"Slow TV"- we already had that Ray. RTE1 Sat nights a few months back- you were hosting

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

"Slow TV"- we already had that Ray. RTE1 Sat nights a few months back- you were hosting

The only good thing about that TV show is the thread on it in the Television forum.

RobertKK wrote: »
    The only good thing about that TV show is the thread on it in the Television forum.
    We haven't long to wait. I never miss the thread if I'm not out Sat nights

Why doesn't Ray ask Peter about the wealth of his church and what they might contribute towards solving the problems he's concerned with? Or is it a case of 'blessed are the poor, for they shall inherit the kingdom of heaven'??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I don't rate him as a broadcaster, it's as simple as that. His "informal, conversational" style, as advertised by RTE is just a mask for a lack of depth. It is almost made a virtue of that he doesn't do much prior research on his guests which just leads to too many bungled, confused items in my opinion.

Can't help thinking sometimes that D'Arcy must be the luckiest man in broadcasting - given his very limited ability. For a man of his "talent" he should probably be working part-time at a local radio station spinning discs for an hour or two a day to supplement a normal job, yet he's reputedly paid half a million a year by the State broadcaster. The mind absolutely boggles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement