Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

D'Arcy lecturing us all on the injustice of homelessness, and then cut to the ad break and the first group of people who's adverts pay for his 500K wages.... AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Can't help thinking sometimes that D'Arcy must be the luckiest man in broadcasting - given his very limited ability. For a man of his "talent" he should probably be working part-time at a local radio station spinning discs for an hour or two a day to supplement a normal job, yet he's reputedly paid half a million a year by the State broadcaster. The mind absolutely boggles.

Jealous??? :)
    D'Arcy lecturing us all on the injustice of homelessness, and then cut to the ad break and the first group of people who's adverts pay for his 500K wages.... AIB.

Who was lecturing us? Peter McVerry maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Can't help thinking sometimes that D'Arcy must be the luckiest man in broadcasting - given his very limited ability. For a man of his "talent" he should probably be working part-time at a local radio station spinning discs for an hour or two a day to supplement a normal job, yet he's reputedly paid half a million a year by the State broadcaster. The mind absolutely boggles.

Hard to disagree with that observation, Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

BarryD wrote: »
    Jealous??? :)

No. Just astonished really.

Hard to disagree with that observation, Henry.

Cheers Bren.

ffs, if he says Hugga one more time. Hugga is the feeling I get when his show is over.

• Advertisement

We don't care, Ray. We really don't care.

Lost and Found, and Matchmaker.com.

Half a million a year, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Lost and Found, and Matchmaker.com.

Half a million a year, folks.

I miss
    Who is your "no strings" question to interviewees
    Ray telling us he has a double shower before going somewhere special.
    Fridge or press game

Does he still do them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Cliff Walker

Does he still do Fix it Friday or did all his listeners finally discover the internet ?

What exactly does D'Arcy want here. Does he want him wearing sackcloth and ashes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Ridiculous yer man Bubbles O'Dwyer being made to feel by the GAA and RTE and whoever else that he needs to apologise. If you ask a chap silly questions in that state of mind, then you deserve what you get.

God, she has two kids and she gave a kidney to her brother. I'd say that was a difficult decision to make at the time. Glad it all worked out for them. I wonder what the Scottish husband thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,362 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Christ, the two most boring people on earth having a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,872 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ray is doing a misery spot that joe duffy would love to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Fairly Crap at geography was our Ray..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ray is doing a misery spot that joe duffy would love to do.

I wonder did joe lend him the nipple clamps?

The very last place this poor woman needs to be is on the radio with this GOUL!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'm not listening but I'm sure you're right.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I'm not listening but I'm sure you're right.
    Horrific interview. Poor woman been through he'll..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Is there no one in RTE in a position to have a frank discussion with Ray about his odd addiction to other peoples misery? There's not a week goes by that he isn't salivating over someone else's suffering- it's creepy.

• Advertisement

Light entertainment.....me hole

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How is this meant to help people who are very low and depressed?

it makes you feel bad enough when you are emotionally ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

The whole programme today is about suicide. Heartbreaking stories. Interesting that only mothers are
    on speaking about the suicides of their children. Disgraceful how the system had let down some of the
    young men who had sought help to deal with their mental illness. One of them actually hanged himself
    with a sheet in a disused ward in St. James's Hospital while he and his aunt were waiting for him to be
    seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Not a fan of Darcy but the last hour was harrowing, distressing but great public broadcasting.
    We need to lift the veil over suicide and the causes and putting it into a nice 15-20 minute slot of another programme doesn't work.

The awkward interviewing style doesn't hide the pain of those left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

kazamo wrote: »
    Not a fan of Darcy but the last hour was harrowing, distressing but great public broadcasting.
    We need to lift the veil over suicide and the causes and putting it into a nice 15-20 minute slot of another programme doesn't work.

The awkward interviewing style doesn't hide the pain of those left behind.

One girl wrote in to say that her brother who died by suicide a few years ago was not recorded as such, as the coroner wanted 'to spare the parents' feelings. There is still a stigma attached to suicide, in spite of all the exposure it gets in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

brooke 2 wrote: »
    One girl wrote in to say that her brother who died by suicide a few years ago was not recorded as such, as the coroner wanted 'to spare the parents' feelings. There is still a stigma attached to suicide, in spite of all the exposure it gets in the media.

Heard that and its hardly a surprise.
    We live in a very judgemental world and any perceived difference or something out of the "normal" is used as a way to look down on others.

If the parents were elderly, losing a son or daughter is hard enough without adding a stigma.

Re the exposure in the media, imo it is more at a superficial level and its the real stories of those left behind like today's programme that is far more beneficial, than some expert or counsellor speaking in abstract terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

brooke 2 wrote: »

That used to be about insurance companies paying out on policies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

humberklog wrote: »
    Is there no one in RTE in a position to have a frank discussion with Ray about his odd addiction to other peoples misery? There's not a week goes by that he isn't salivating over someone else's suffering- it's creepy.

It's not just D'Arcy I'm afraid.

That whole organisation is dedicated to depressing the nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Listened to this just a while ago. Yes it is misery and harrowing but it needs to be discussed. If it annoys you, you can turn off your radio. If it helps one family, one person, if it makes one person come forward to look for help it is worth your annoyance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,362 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I couldn't listen (been there), but the idea is a good one. Hopefully Ray put his psychology training to good use for the discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement