Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

With all due respects to everyone, anyone who would be hugely influenced by D'arcy's point of view, needs seeing to. In my opinion.

I was thinking about this the other day, Brendan. And you will have a lot of people who do not have any choice but to listen to D'Arcy, whether that be children of parents who have him on the radio in the car or people who are in work where the radio is put on D'Arcy's show. And I'm not sure it is the best thing for people to be listening to Ray D'Arcy's views and being influenced by him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Radio is a deceptively powerful means of communication, a fact which D'Arcy is acutely aware of.

The abortion question is one he returns to on a very regular basis (mostly in an amateurish, lop-sided manner) in comparison to other issues-its clearly a hobby-horse of his.

He knows if he allows the same unchallenged arguments to be aired, they will eventually find their way into the subconscious no matter who intelligent his listenership claims to be.

Eh, on the one hand you say Ray is 'amateurish, lop-sided' and on the other imply that he's intelligent, cunning and deceptive. Which is it?
    I was thinking about this the other day, Brendan. And you will have a lot of people who do not have any choice but to listen to D'Arcy, whether that be children of parents who have him on the radio in the car or people who are in work where the radio is put on D'Arcy's show. And I'm not sure it is the best thing for people to be listening to Ray D'Arcy's views and being influenced by him.

And precisely why not? What is wrong with Ray's views? What is so dangerous as to subvert the very children of Ireland!?

I think ye people are too sensitive. D'Arcy covers social issues in much the same proportion as other newsy radio programming.

At present, it's some rubbish about celebrities slimming... btw, what's with all the lbs and ozs - we've used Kg for as long as I've been around.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

BarryD wrote: »
    Eh, on the one hand you say Ray is 'amateurish, lop-sided' and on the other imply that he's intelligent, cunning and deceptive. Which is it?

D'Arcy would have a certain amount of academic intelligence, he has a degree after all as he has mentioned a couple of times......

One thing he definitely has in abundance is a nose for populism and what way the wind is likely to blow on certain topics.

He gets amateurish and lop-sided when it comes to the actual job of moderating a discussion, he is simply unable to keep his own point of view out of it.
    It's not something you see the likes of Sean O'Rourke, Pat Kenny or any quality broadcaster doing....Probably the reason why they rarely trouble the BAI.

And precisely why not? What is wrong with Ray's views? What is so dangerous as to subvert the very children of Ireland!?

My problem is that D'Arcy questions people whose views that he agrees with differently than people whose views he does agree with. There is always a more positive spin given to those he agrees with, and loads of sighing and loaded questions when it's someone he doesn't agree with.

He doesn't come out and put his cards on the table so that people can at least know that he is either pro or against a topic. When it was put to him that he was a pro choice advocate he starting backing off saying "no I'm not, no I'm not" when he very obviously is. It's the underhanded way that he tries to influence that I find inappropriate, especially as a public broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

E. D'Arcy covers social issues in much the same proportion as other newsy radio programming.

The question has to be asked though, why? You have have Morning Ireland, Tubridy, Sean O'Rourke, Drive Time , and now D'Arcy covering the same issues. Jesus, how about a light magazine show during the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

My problem is that D'Arcy questions people whose views that he agrees with differently than people whose views he does agree with. There is always a more positive spin given to those he agrees with, and loads of sighing and loaded questions when it's someone he doesn't agree with.

He doesn't come out and put his cards on the table so that people can at least know that he is either pro or against a topic. When it was put to him that he was a pro choice advocate he starting backing off saying "no I'm not, no I'm not" when he very obviously is. It's the underhanded way that he tries to influence that I find inappropriate, especially as a public broadcaster.

100% agree and he tried back tracking when Mullen called him out. We all know he is strongly pro choice and can't help himself when mediating a debate between people.

All well and good and you could look on these traits as merely being human. But regardless, Ray is hardly a threat to the morality of the children of Ireland? If he is, he had far greater influence on The Den years ago.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    The question has to be asked though, why? You have have Morning Ireland, Tubridy, Sean O'Rourke, Drive Time , and now D'Arcy covering the same issues. Jesus, how about a light magazine show during the day?

Many people get fed up of that froth - look who D'Arcy replaced. Mooney - a show whose staple diet in that slot were the antics of PantiBliss type characters, Eurovision camp and the colour of the Irish women's knickers a la Brenda O'Donoghue! :)

D'Arcy's show as I read it anyway is not intended to be Pat Kenny, Sean O'Rourke or Morning Ireland. It's somewhere in between all that, a bridge of sorts.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    D'Arcy would have a certain amount of academic intelligence, he has a degree after all as he has mentioned a couple of times......

I must listen more carefully. I don't think I've heard Ray go on about whatever qualifications he has. What's a degree nowadays anyway??

What I do often hear him refer to is that he came from a good fertile Irish family of nine children.........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,362 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

ThisRegard wrote: »

Well, we do get treated to Funny Fryday once a month so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭bobbyss

What exactly is his salary anyway? 500,000? Mullen put him in his box well and good. He overreached himself then. He should really stick to Rose of Tralee and chats about whatever:a lot of misery stories, beekeeping, doing the odd quiz and suchlike.

But really I am sure there are many broadcasters who could engage on those subjects? Does anyone know any broadcaster on your local station that is able to do those?

I thought so.

So why is he earning so much? He is not even a good speaker for God's sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is D'Arcy and the unicyclist on the same page here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh here we go.

ANOTHER pair of rich guys who think the answer to excessive drinking it to put the price up.

(but NOT enough to effect them !)

Is D'Arcy and the unicyclist on the same page here ?

Nope. D'Arcy is using a Kindle so he's stuck on page #1.

jesus actual hard questions on the hicky issue to his guest (sonia o sullivan) and if she's happy to be on the board of the IOC.

gotta give him cred for that as last time she was on a radio prog the host didnt bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Poor Lorna got shafted in that quiz, the audio clip was inaudible.

bill bailey on now.

:D

only reason i havent changed to newstalk already.

When Sonia was asked how hickey was ss an administrator (was it?) what was her response? I didn't quite catch it. She said something like he's not her boss or she was self employed? Can anyone clarify?

She said she was self employed. Must be a consultant basis or something. Unless she's got her own version of Claddaghgreen.

She said she was self employed. Must be a consultant basis or something. Unless she's got her own version of Claddaghgreen.

That's what I thought she said. So she doesn't want to offer an opinion on how Hickey is as an administrator. Seems an innocent enough question I have to say. A pity she couldn't give an opinion. Wonder why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Has Ray given up on that million pound drop challenge, he was on about during operation transformation

• Advertisement

D'Arcy's pay packet has been released. Wonder will he have anything to say about this story.

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/entertainment/tv/rte-broadcaster-ray-d%E2%80%99arcy-took-home-a-massive-pay-packet-in-2015/ar-BBw9gzA?li=BBr5KbJ
    He dismissed rumours that he signed a deal with RTE worth almost €500,000, but Ray D’Arcy is still enjoying substantial financial success since returning to the national broadcaster.
    The Kildare man’s media production company Whatnext Productions recorded profits of nearly €215,000 last year even after shelling out an annual salary of almost €250,000, according to accounts just filed to the Companies Office.

Ray, 52, owns the majority of the company, with his wife Jenny Kelly listed as a director and best friend Darren Smith also a shareholder.

Whatnext Productions manages the radio and TV presenter’s income from RTE.The accounts show that the company paid wages of €245,294 to its only employee – in addition to pension contributions of €30,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

so profits of €215,00 + salary of €245294 + pension of €30,000 = €490,294 so not quite half a mil paid to him by rte but it aint far off

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

neris wrote: »
    so profits of €215,00 + salary of €245294 + pension of €30,000 = €490,294 so not quite half a mil paid to him by rte but it aint far off

Is Janny Kally a direct RTE employee or would she be a contractor too?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

How does that arrangement work? RTE are basically doing a deal with his production company? Hence the reason why Ray was able to move his team over to RTE?

The article also doesn't specifically say who the salary is for, it just says that it forks out an annual salary of €250K. Is that for all it's staff?

Don't RTE have to release what they pay their stars after 2 years? Or thereabouts. How will that work if they're paying a production company?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    How does that arrangement work? RTE are basically doing a deal with his production company? Hence the reason why Ray was able to move his team over to RTE?

The article also doesn't specifically say who the salary is for, it just says that it forks out an annual salary of €250K. Is that for all it's staff?

Don't RTE have to release what they pay their stars after 2 years? Or thereabouts. How will that work if they're paying a production company?

rte dont directly employ any of the "Stars" they are all paid through companies they own for tax reasons.

if ray was an employ on 500k he,d probably only come away with 250k or a bit more after tax and levies so its more tax efficent to be paid through a company where he can right off "professional" expenses, contribute towards his pension and use the money in other tax avoidance efficient ways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

cough, cough, cough

"beginning to sound like Hillary Clinton now". Cheeky git.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

neris wrote: »
    rte dont directly employ any of the "Stars" they are all paid through companies they own for tax reasons.

if ray was an employ on 500k he,d probably only come away with 250k or a bit more after tax and levies so its more tax efficent to be paid through a company where he can right off "professional" expenses, contribute towards his pension and use the money in other tax avoidance efficient ways

And these are the guys who are criticising Apple for 'using the system'

:eek:

I wonder what arrangement Dunphy has ?

Anyone?

And these are the guys who are criticising Apple for 'using the system'

:eek:

I wonder what arrangement Dunphy has ?

Anyone?

never mind dunphy what about wurkin class hero man o d people Joe Duffy and the 416k he squirrels away from rte plus the tax exempt money he earned from the book he plugged the bejaysus out of for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

BaZmO* wrote: »

Would be interesting to know how it works alright. But no way 250k is going to pay the salaries of the production team as well as the "talent", and possibly not 500k either (which is reported to be D'arcy's salary anyway). I imagine the likes of Kelly and others are on their own separate deals with RTE, whether staff or contract or however they do it in Montrose these days.

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »
    Is Janny Kally a direct RTE employee or would she be a contractor too?

Very good:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement