Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'll never forgive him for his stupid spoiler stunt on Today FM. Such an ársehole thing to do.

I literally broke our office radio over that. It was one of those portable yokes with a detachable cable, he was midway through it and I just got up and ripped it out, breaking the connection... :o
    gimmick wrote: »
    What was that?

Basically, IIRC, there'd be a bit of backlash to him spoiling a TV show the day before. So he just started reading out a whole list of spoilers for TV shows and films. Some obvious ones like Star Wars and The Sixth Sense that everyone knows, and also ones for TV shows which hadn't even aired in Ireland yet (How I Met Your Mother).

The following day I believe he tried to blame Will for it.

It was a petulant, childish, dick-head move, and being honest, I lost a whole heap of respect for D'Arcy then that hasn't been regained.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

^^^^Wot he said!

I was so annoyed at the time. He was complaining about people asking him not to give spoilers. So they dreamt up this hilarious idea between himself and Will. :rolleyes:

When he start listing them off I thought he was joking, but when he read out a Breaking Bad spoiler I realised he was actually giving out real spoilers. I turned the radio off as soon as I copped what he was doing.

Ironically enough, when you consider how little research he does for interviews, he would've actually had to have gone off and research some of the spoilers as some of the show finales hadn't air in Ireland yet.

He got a serious backlash because of it. You could really hear it in his voice that he was shocked with the backlash, and as wnolan1992 has said he tried to blame it on Will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

What should have been a nice story about a very rare vinyl turned a bit creepy there. Michael Jackson inviting two kids up to his hotel room for a pillow fight? Not sure I'd go on national radio to share that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He asks Kenny Rodgers has he a record player.

Go on, Ray. Ask him what age he is.

• Advertisement

Good man Ray. Shoehorn a death into the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭queueeye

Could D'arcy sound more disinterested? The lads over at today fm are probably still high fiving since he was replaced by Savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Will he ask him about the ridiculous plastic surgery he's undergone?

queueeye wrote: »
    Could D'arcy sound more disinterested? The lads over at today fm are probably still high fiving since he was replaced by Savage.
    MMMMMMMM. MMMMMMMMMMM. Yeah. Yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

^^^^Wot he said!

I was so annoyed at the time. He was complaining about people asking him not to give spoilers. So they dreamt up this hilarious idea between himself and Will. :rolleyes:

When he start listing them off I thought he was joking, but when he read out a Breaking Bad spoiler I realised he was actually giving out real spoilers. I turned the radio off as soon as I copped what he was doing.

Ironically enough, when you consider how little research he does for interviews, he would've actually had to have gone off and research some of the spoilers as some of the show finales hadn't air in Ireland yet.

He got a serious backlash because of it. You could really hear it in his voice that he was shocked with the backlash, and as wnolan1992 has said he tried to blame it on Will.

In fairness, this crack of people having mental breakdowns about spoilers is the epitome of first world problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

padd b1975 wrote: »
    In fairness, this crack of people having mental breakdowns about spoilers is the epitome of first world problems.

In general I agree, but the way he did it was pretty sh1tty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Did you hear him today with Kenny Rogers

Kenny: "I was there with my twin boys and ..."
    D'Arcy: "JUSTIN AND JORDAN!!!".

Does he think a) Kenny doesnt know the names of his kids are or b) The audience actually give a sh1t what the names of Rogers kids are. He's like a six year old trying to impress the teacher. I suppose the fact that he can even use wikipedia at least is some progress for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

He is a wan5er of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,362 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

sligojoek wrote: »
    Go on, Ray. Ask him what HEIGHT he is.

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

In general I agree, but the way he did it was pretty sh1tty

Exactly. He had a fair point about the type of people who freak out if the presenter talks about stuff like X-Factor results or huge TV events during the weekend on a Monday morning. And the people who lose their sh*t if you spoil a movie from like 5 years ago in casual conversation are idiots.

But there are ways to get that point across without being a spiteful, petulant child. And when you spoil something that hasn't even aired somewhere where majority of your audience could have legally viewed it, you're just being a knob.

It really summed up what D'arcy had become though. He was just looking for the shock factor. Bit like when he told the Bandits to "F*ck off" on air. Real edgy stuff.

That said, he's up another 5,000 listeners in the JNLRs, so he's building an audience slowly and steadily on R1 to give him his dues. He's at 216k now, a full 50k more than his predecessor now has on Today FM, and something like a 30k-40k improvement in the slot since taking over.

On the other hand, he loses 179,000 of Joe Duffy's listeners and only 20,000 more turn on for Drivetime, so that's something you'd imagine they'll be looking to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Imagine the sh1te handed out from the Darcy household last night

kids looking at each other shaking their heads:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Ray giving out that people never answered the door for trick and treat even though he was peeping in and seen them, and no healthy options for Tom and Kate!!!!!!!

Imagine the sh1te handed out from the Darcy household last night

kids looking at each other shaking their heads:D

Porridge pouches and quinoa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭REM76

Dig at Catholic Church within 1 minute of opening.

References to sugar and running at 2 minutes.

Reference to cancer at 3 minutes.

Talks about a film he watched at the weekend on Apple TV, including heaps of spoilers.....no doubt a song from the film to follow.

That's the first 8 minutes done.

Tired, tired radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Ray giving out that people never answered the door for trick and treat even though he was peeping in and seen them, and no healthy options for Tom and Kate!!!!!!!

Should have asked did they had any gluten free treats.

• Advertisement

REM76 wrote: »
    Dig at Catholic Church within 1 minute of opening.

References to sugar and running at 2 minutes.

Reference to cancer at 3 minutes.

Talks about a film he watched at the weekend on Apple TV, including heaps of spoilers.....no doubt a song from the film to follow.

That's the first 8 minutes done.

Tired, tired radio.

And a derivative Oasis song to end his boring stream of consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

And now we hand you over to Ray D'arcy... Thank you ver.clunk

I reckon I could fill in for D'Arcy no bother.

Monday:

3pm to 3:20pm: Apple tv, describe film, play song from film. Read out texts.

3:20pm to 3:45pm: Main guest, some RTE colleague/phone call to latest internet fad protagonist

3:45pm to 4pm: Misery slot. Poor unfortunate in studio, extract full memory of dead child/spouse/pet until guest breaks down. No let up until tears (good radio)

4pm to 4:15pm: Nuacht, spillover of misery slot - texts saying how great guest was.

4:15pm to close: Conor Pope/EMail Bag/Therapist/RTE Canteen staff on Fridays

Tues - Fri:

Same as Monday, substitute Apple TV film for anecdote on weather yesterday and weather this morning.

TV show this Saturday, guests are 80s has-been, misery slot from radio (see above), rugby player, some bull**** ending.

I'm off most Mondays after the tv show btw.

EUR500,000.00 in me back phóca, thank you licence payers.

At least Gerry Ryan didn't pretend to do research, when he was taxi'd in to 2FM at ten past nine to read the papers out loud while eating a fry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Monday:

3pm to 3:20pm: Apple tv, describe film, play song from film. Read out texts.

3:20pm to 3:45pm: Main guest, some RTE colleague/phone call to latest internet fad protagonist

3:45pm to 4pm: Misery slot. Poor unfortunate in studio, extract full memory of dead child/spouse/pet until guest breaks down. No let up until tears (good radio)

4pm to 4:15pm: Nuacht, spillover of misery slot - texts saying how great guest was.

Tues - Fri:

Same as Monday, substitute Apple TV film for anecdote on weather yesterday and weather this morning.

TV show this Saturday, guests are 80s has-been, misery slot from radio (see above), rugby player, some bull**** ending.

At least Gerry Ryan didn't pretend to do research, when he was taxi'd in to 2FM at ten past nine to read the papers out loud while eating a fry up.

That's pretty much it. Is Apple TV/Netflix a new sponsor for Ray (Ray must get getting freebies)? :P

Also, I don't get Netflix. It's 5% things you want to watch, 95% cack.

There is a thread here for "things to watch on Netflix", ?!?!?!?

My old video shop in 1987 was 5% new videos, 95% cack. We didn't call up and hand over cash every month, asking "just give me what's not awful".

Firefox11 wrote: »
    That's pretty much it. Is Apple TV/Netflix a new sponsor for Ray (Ray must get getting freebies)? :P

"It's about 79 euro" he just said about Apple TV.

I bet he gets it for free like Alan Partridge and his chocolate oranges.

Also, I don't get Netflix. It's 5% things you want to watch, 95% cack.

There is a thread here for "things to watch on Netflix", ?!?!?!?

My old video shop in 1987 was 5% new videos, 95% cack. We didn't call up and hand over cash every month, asking "just give me what's not awful".

Did you not get the memo? Netflix is a life necessity these days for hipsters and those who take their TV very seriously. I mean, what are people going to talk about around the water cooler if they haven't seen the latest super duper bells and whistles Netflix serial?

Get with the programme!

Monday:

3pm to 3:20pm: Apple tv, describe film, play song from film. I was reading in the Irish Times that ............ Read out texts.

Tues - Fri:

You forgot this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Ray showing off his button pressing skills with the 3 song choice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement