Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

am not really sure what the point of all that was. I think this was just a preview of the LLS that will be selecting them, it was all a bit rushed, squeezed into 15 minutes and quite disrespectful of the effort put in by all the artists I'm sure

Ah, I thought that was it... :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

"its more of a bum and tits show" ha, is he allowed say that on RTE?

That was brilliant :D:D

LOL'd in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

am not really sure what the point of all that was. I think this was just a preview of the LLS that will be selecting them, it was all a bit rushed, squeezed into 15 minutes and quite disrespectful of the effort put in by all the artists I'm sure

I dunno...in fairness, everyone just got about half the track played and then commented on.

The last few years, Mooney spent so much time discussing the first few songs with Paul Gee and Brenda that the last few had to be rushed through - including editing the last one after playing the other 4 in their totality - which was grossly unfair.

Getting Derry Lindsay on worked very well, I thought, as he was the first one of us to actually go out and win the thing, but yet has been gloriously overlooked by RTE ever since.

Plus he was completely uninhibited in his appraisals and delightfully un-PC in his further comments.

Overall, less po-faced than the usual EuroSong RTE Radio fare and probably better for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Has rays 50 shades obsession been reignited yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

3. why are a load of foreigners trying to get in on the Irish ticket? have things gotten that bad
    "It's my field yank, go home" jaysus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

I was listening to the opening of the Ray D'Arcy Show yesterday and I thought I heard the presenter in the course of talking about being in Marlay Park, Dublin with his 2 and half year old son yesterday, make reference to another child's weight.
    I just checked it again this morning on the player, it's only a small reference to one of a group of scouts which D'arcy and the son ran into at the same place on Sunday. It did stike me as unnecessary to describe an eight year old as:

"One little guy, a round enough guy"

Not having being a D'Arcy listener on his last station, is it usual for him to make an unnecessary reference to a child's weight on national radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Expunge wrote: »
    I was listening to the opening of the Ray D'Arcy Show yesterday and I thought I heard the presenter in the course of talking about being in Marlay Park, Dublin with his 2 and half year old son yesterday, make reference to another child's weight.
    I just checked it again this morning on the player, it's only a small reference to one of a group of scouts which D'arcy and the son ran into at the same place on Sunday. It did stike me as unnecessary to describe an eight year old as:

Not having being a D'Arcy listener on his last station, is it usual for him to make an unnecessary reference to a child's weight on national radio?
    Ray is obsessed with the health of the nation of the nation so he will prescribe plenty of running for the child, ending up with a half marathon for fun for the child when he reaches Rays target weight.

Tbh, Ray has a number of recurring themes which will be aired at length.

Expunge wrote: »

Nice of you to leave out the rest of the story. Obviously a reason why he described him as round enough. i.e "I met this fella yesterday, round enough fella I must say...but he jumped over a wall 2 metres high".

But you'd rather make it out that D'arcy plainly judged a kid.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Nice of you to leave out the rest of the story. Obviously a reason why he described him as round enough. i.e "I met this fella yesterday, round enough fella I must say...but he jumped over a wall 2 metres high".

But you'd rather make it out that D'arcy plainly judged a kid.

Good morning to you too, Gits. Up early defending the Dear Leader, I see.

You see, that's the thing that struck me about D'Arcy describing the child as "roundy" - it didn't have any relevance to the rest of the story, which had to do with what the child said to D'Arcy in relation to D'Arcy's son wearing a Spiderman suit. I'm not takin it out of context.
    What concern's me is that it was unnecessary to call a relatively easily identifiable child "roundy" on RTE and indicates a lack of cop on the part of the presenter. I'm beginning to think he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There's no way a child would jump over a two metre wall.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

sligojoek wrote: »
    There's no way a child would jump over a two metre wall.

Perhaps heights are an issue for Ray?

my friend wrote: »
    Perhaps heights are an issue for Ray?

So it's ok for you to give out about Rays comments but you are happy to insult someone about their height? Says a lot..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

So it's ok for you to give out about Rays comments but you are happy to insult someone about their height? Says a lot..

What are you talking about?

T'was I making an observation about a Ray Darcy comment during yesterday's solid gold opening monologue. I never mentioned the presenter's height, or lack thereof.

Not the poster 'myfriend'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

It's safe to assume that Ray's kids will never be of the "round" variety. His idea of a treat for them is probably giving them an extra spoon of porridge for breakfast or an extra lettuce leaf for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Didn't hear the piece, but judging by the quoted sentence, ye seem to be reading a lot into a throwaway comment.

It's safe to assume that Ray's kids will never be of the "round" variety. His idea of a treat for them is probably giving them an extra spoon of porridge for breakfast or an extra lettuce leaf for lunch.

Giving out about someone being healthy, well that's just low.

No wonder there's fat kids everywhere with that attitude.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Didn't hear the piece, but judging by the quoted sentence, ye seem to be reading a lot into a throwaway comment.

Could be. Just not a thing I'd associate with an RTE Radio 1 presenter.

Giving out about someone being healthy, well that's just low.

He's puritanical and judgemental. I don't listen to the radio to be lectured to, thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

going against the grain here but i actually like the Ray Darcy show. I liked it on Today FM and I'm liking it so far on Radio 1.

was listening last Friday when they were reading out texts from listeners about calories on the menu. He read one which was signed by Dr. Saltib Alls.
    Was it just me that presumed that was a pi**-take and found it funny? Ray didn't seem to cop it...

if you listen to the podcast for that show, it's at about 30:55
    maybe it's just me! :)

• Advertisement

He's puritanical and judgemental. I don't listen to the radio to be lectured to, thank you very much.

So you'll have no problem turning him off then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

And that ladies and gentleman is Ray Darcy's core demographic.
    Judgemental, pontificating idealists.

And that ladies and gentleman is Ray Darcy's core demographic.
    Judgemental, pontificating idealists.

You don't think childhood obesity should be dealt with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You don't think childhood obesity should be dealt with?
    It should be but there are other solutions than porridge, running and banning soft drinks.

It should be but there are other solutions than porridge, running and banning soft drinks.

Never heard D'arcy say any of these things are the only solution. And banning soft drinks mightn't be the worst idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

was listening last Friday when they were reading out texts from listeners about calories on the menu. He read one which was signed by Dr. Saltib Alls.
    Was it just me that presumed that was a pi**-take and found it funny? Ray didn't seem to cop it...

if you listen to the podcast for that show, it's at about 30:55
    maybe it's just me! :)

Lol. Just heard it there. :)

How did he not cop that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

neris wrote: »
    Has rays 50 shades obsession been reignited yet?

Just mentioned that those who had seen it were not too happy
    that they had to wait quite a while into the film before they saw
    what they went to see! ;)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator: If you haven't already read the warnings in the OP and the forum Charter, I strongly recommend you do so now because this thread is getting to a point where bans are inevitable.

If his kids see something as a treat then all and good for them. Don't be jealous.

• Advertisement

If his kids see something as a treat then all and good for them. Don't be jealous.

Don't worry. I'm in no way envious of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement