Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

"Hello. Is that John?"
    "Yeh"
    "Do you know who this is?"
    "No."
    "You'll know who the next voice is."
    "Hello. This is your wife."
    "Howeya"

Riveting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

D'Arcy taking over the whole interview again. He makes a statement and asks the guest what they think about his opinion.

D'Arcy taking over the whole interview again. He makes a statement and asks the guest what they think about his opinion.

If you were a first time listener, you'd be struggling to work out who is the host in this particular exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭goochy

regarding Rays obsession with talking about his kids, in my experience self absorbed people then to be very kid obsessed - assume the fact the kids are ' theirs' feeds their egos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

goochy wrote: »
    regarding Rays obsession with talking about his kids, in my experience self absorbed people then to be very kid obsessed - assume the fact the kids are ' theirs' feeds their egos.

Most parents talk incessantly about their kids tbh. Doesn't really have anything to do with ego I reckon, moreso that it's just the main thing in their life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Most parents talk incessantly about their kids tbh. Doesn't really have anything to do with ego I reckon, moreso that it's just the main thing in their life.

When was the last time you came across a man you didn't really know who went on to tell you his childrens names, nicknames, heights, extra circular activities, what they eat for breakfast etc etc?

Oh no, D'Arcy was disappointed in humanity... :(

Don't think Ray has any right to tell this girl to go ahead with this hugely risky move.
    Be gas if it was Jenny who had written in, and she was talking about Will.

Don't think Ray has any right to tell this girl to go ahead with this hugely risky move.
    Be gas if it was Jenny who had written in, and she was talking about Will.

He has the right to tell her given she wrote in presumably looking for advice, but not the authority. "I'm not a counselor but..." was an inevitable intro into a 5 minute spiel from Uncle Ray putting her world to rights.

"And she's gonna come in, with her daughter who is on the autistic syndrome"

:D

• Advertisement

When was the last time you came across a man you didn't really know who went on to tell you his childrens names, nicknames, heights, extra circular activities, what they eat for breakfast etc etc?

In no way is that a fair comparison. Presenters build rapports with their listeners, it's natural for the line between the presenter being a stranger you've never met and a friend who you listen to every day get blurred.

To be clear, I'm not saying I like his children talk (quite the opposite), my point was that I don't think it was fair to characterise his talking about his kids as any different to that wan in the office who talks about nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭goochy

Not everybody feels the need to talk about their kids all the time. in my experience its the self absorbed ones who do

In one sense, I'm inclined to agree with wnolan here. A competent, skilfull broadcaster can build up a good rapport with his or her audience and share personal anecdotes and experiences in a way that doesn't seem vain or narcissistic. But you need bundles of charisma to pull it off and D'Arcy, unfortunately, has all the charisma of a soggy toilet roll.

The problem with D'Arcy is that he pretty much forms his world view around his own narrow circle of family and friends, understanding nothing that can't be referred to his own personal experience, even making a virtue out of the fact that he does next to zero research for topics on both his radio and tv shows. That's why he gets exposed on nearly every serious topic he dares to address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Jim, so it's a squat you're organising? You'd think he'd have found a bit more about it before he got involved.

Says he, there's no debate about homelessness here! What fecking planet do you live on, Jim??

He feels like a fraud, he knows little about it and yet he stands up to offer to publicise the occupation?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

nobody knows who he is

In no way is that a fair comparison. Presenters build rapports with their listeners, it's natural for the line between the presenter being a stranger you've never met and a friend who you listen to every day get blurred.

To be clear, I'm not saying I like his children talk (quite the opposite), my point was that I don't think it was fair to characterise his talking about his kids as any different to that wan in the office who talks about nothing else.

But nobody cares about his children. Ray desperately trying to prove that he is human doesn't add anything positive at all to the insipid cringe fest that is his radio show. There is nothing interesting about the mundane activities and mutterings of other peoples children. Nobody cares.

Ray is incredibly unprofessional and about as smart as a box of rocks. It's a crying shame that someone as profoundly talantless, tactless and vacuous as Darcy gets half a million quid thrown at him every year and a prime time radio slot when real talent like John Creedon for example is shoved off to the graveyard shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

Do 6 foot 4 truck drivers still e-mail his show ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Do 6 foot 4 truck drivers still e-mail his show ?
    Yes. Usually from a lay by with tears streaming down their faces after a sad interview

Pathetic...

But nobody cares about his children. Ray desperately trying to prove that he is human doesn't add anything positive at all to the insipid cringe fest that is his radio show. There is nothing interesting about the mundane activities and mutterings of other peoples children. Nobody cares.

Ray is incredibly unprofessional and about as smart as a box of rocks. It's a crying shame that someone as profoundly talantless, tactless and vacuous as Darcy gets half a million quid thrown at him every year and a prime time radio slot when real talent like John Creedon for example is shoved off to the graveyard shift.

You say "nobody cares", yet since taking the slot, his listenership has increased book-on-book, whereas his replacement on Today FM who is infinitely more professional, insightful and talented as a broadcaster yet reveals nothing of his personal life has had his listenership tank and has ended up losing his show.

I submit to you that it's highly like that a lot of Ray D'Arcy listeners actually DO care about his personal life, and tune in to hear what their "friend" has been up to.

The term "echo chamber" comes to mind when reading this thread at times. People on the thread say stuff like "no one cares Ray" as if it's an objective fact, when it's not.

• Advertisement

You say "nobody cares", yet since taking the slot, his listenership has increased book-on-book, whereas his replacement on Today FM who is infinitely more professional, insightful and talented as a broadcaster yet reveals nothing of his personal life has had his listenership tank and has ended up losing his show.

I submit to you that it's highly like that a lot of Ray D'Arcy listeners actually DO care about his personal life, and tune in to hear what their "friend" has been up to.

The term "echo chamber" comes to mind when reading this thread at times. People on the thread say stuff like "no one cares Ray" as if it's an objective fact, when it's not.

People tune in to his show because it is car crash radio. Ray is an Alan Partridge tribute act. People want to hear his daily gaffes, bloopers and clangers... like when he asked Parky, a man in his twilight years, if he would sign up to be euthanised. That stuff is funny, that's why people listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Horse84

I don't think it's why people listen at all unfortunately. I think as a country we have bloody awful taste and poor judgement, you need only look at our politicians
    A large part of it is older people not changing the dial from radio 1 one all day but there are a lot of people out there who just like him for whatever god forsaken reason I don't know and I've given up trying to figure it out.

Pathetic...

The reason that I'm smiling about the Jack Nicholson thing is that anybody would think that a chat show in Ireland, four or fives weeks in to it's first run, would get Jack Nicholson. I think that's hilariously funny.

The smug b*stard. I would it hilariously funny that a chat show in Ireland, four or five weeks in to it's first run, would have a useless presenter getting paid 500K. How about that Ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AnthonyCny

Pathetic...

He looks incredibly unwell. He's very red in the face

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Pathetic...

But that wasn't Rays idea

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It was his idea. He had heard about the JN lookalike earlier in the week and was asking listeners to track him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

sligojoek wrote: »
    It was his idea. He had heard about the JN lookalike earlier in the week and was asking listeners to track him down.

I had my tongue in my cheek with that comment. I know it was but Ray has a great ability to deflect the bad ideas away from himself.

And here is the original clip when he begins to distance himself from it, mid interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5RRI8fnIhE

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Pathetic...

He's an absolute moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

He's an absolute moron.

I watched Mario Rosenstock as Ray D'Arcy on The Ray D'Arcy show on YouTube earlier. I've never seen him look as awkward or uncomfortable, give it a watch and let the hate flow through you ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I watched Mario Rosenstock as Ray D'Arcy on The Ray D'Arcy show on YouTube earlier. I've never seen him look as awkward or uncomfortable, give it a watch and let the hate flow through you ha ha

Now don't be taunting like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement