Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

YES RAY !!!

YOU HAVE A WIFE .... YOU HAVE SOME KIDS ..... WE GET IT ....

In fairness it is pretty unusual for a man to have a wife and kids.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I don't think it's within the BAI's remit to suspend. AFAIK, they can force the broadcaster to broadcast an apology. I think they can fine the broadcaster, but I'm not sure.

Basically you more or less need the broadcaster to get embarrassed by the number of upheld complaints before real action is taken. IIRC, the Boardsies involved in the PRL days got something like 15-20 upheld before the show was pulled, and that was after a concerted campaign.

Trust me, making complaints to the BAI and getting them upheld is an extremely tedious process because both the broadcaster and BAI will drag it on as long as possible in the hopes that you'll just piss off.

What Campaign was that? PRL?

Ray is providing balance today by talking to people who had their baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

"RTÉ will provide the BAI with a plan to ensure there is no re-occurrence of the issues identified."

"Look Ray, here's a 50k pay rise, but you must promise not to do it again, okay?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

What kind of people take Ray seriously? i'm genuinely curious, does anyone take Ray seriously? I couldn't take him seriously when I was 12. Back then he was a badly stitched turkey puppets sidekick, and that's where it should have ended, that was the pinnacle of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Christmas Eve in D'Arcy's house.

Santa putting another upheld BAI complaint under his tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Just on the BAI decisions, having skim read the report and based on my limited understanding of how the process works, it seems like an apology is not necessary. Instead the BAI have issued RTE with a Warning Notice because it's the third time Ray has been sanctioned because of the topic of abortion. If the situation occurs again, the BAI can launch an official investigation.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    What Campaign was that? PRL?

Ray is providing balance today by talking to people who had their baby!

Basically, TV3 were broadcasting a show called "Psychic Readings Live" after midnight where people would ring in (at a cost of €2.44 per minute) and get "psychic" readings.

There was a group of people in the TV forum on Boards at the time who felt it was exploitative scam-artistry. So, we'd watch it together every night and look for anything we could find that was in breach of the rules. Stuff like (and this actually happened) one of the "psychics" telling a caller who was going through IVF that she would definitely conceive a child, one of the "psychics" giving advice to a person suffering with cancer and a whole heap of other seedy, disgusting claptrap. We basically did this for 9 months, got a tonne of complaints upheld by the committee and eventually the show was pulled (although TV3 gave some PR reason as to why it was).

And to preempt the inevitable criticism of the above, yeah, I get you. I probably wouldn't do it now, but at the place I was in my life at the time the outlet was nice to have. And there was a really tight group of posters involved so we got to know each other which was cool.

Probably my favourite experience on Boards tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I think it will be interesting to see RTE's accounts. Part of me thinks that they are paying Ray 500k a year, but it's to his production company and that Jenny and Will would maybe be employees of Ray. So effectively the 500k is 3 salaries. Speculation obvs.

This has come up before and I'm fairly sure the 500K is all for Ray. D'arcy, like most of RTE's highest earners is class as a contractor, they set companies mainly for tax purposes. In the small print of the top earners that RTE publishes every two years it says the money is for "for presenter services"
    Contractors: the amounts shown represent the payments made by RTÉ to the contractor during the relevant period,
    excluding VAT, for presenter services, irrespective of the period to which the payments relate.

http://www.rte.ie/about/top10payments_2004.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Just on the BAI decisions, having skim read the report and based on my limited understanding of how the process works, it seems like an apology is not necessary. Instead the BAI have issued RTE with a Warning Notice because it's the third time Ray has been sanctioned because of the topic of abortion. If the situation occurs again, the BAI can launch an official investigation.

Basically, TV3 were broadcasting a show called "Psychic Readings Live" after midnight where people would ring in (at a cost of €2.44 per minute) and get "psychic" readings.

There was a group of people in the TV forum on Boards at the time who felt it was exploitative scam-artistry. So, we'd watch it together every night and look for anything we could find that was in breach of the rules. Stuff like (and this actually happened) one of the "psychics" telling a caller who was going through IVF that she would definitely conceive a child, one of the "psychics" giving advice to a person suffering with cancer and a whole heap of other seedy, disgusting claptrap. We basically did this for 9 months, got a tonne of complaints upheld by the committee and eventually the show was pulled (although TV3 gave some PR reason as to why it was).

And to preempt the inevitable criticism of the above, yeah, I get you. I probably wouldn't do it now, but at the place I was in my life at the time the outlet was nice to have. And there was a really tight group of posters involved so we got to know each other which was cool.

Probably my favourite experience on Boards tbh.
    Well done Boardsies!!

I remember that case and was delighted that the show was pulled, there is no place for scam shows like that or any type of gambling shows or advertising on TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Still no mention of the complaint being upheld by the BAI. Presumably it will be read out when D'Arcy is off.

Still no mention of the complaint being upheld by the BAI. Presumably it will be read out when D'Arcy is off.

From what I've read I dont think he has to apologise over this one. Hopefully they will have Ronan Mullen back in studio to give him another dressing down.

• Advertisement

Oh ffs, the D'Arcy family album on the radio..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It really is an echo chamber in here. The same points ad nauseum. A bit like the show I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

We can't all be wrong.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It really is an echo chamber in here. The same points ad nauseum. A bit like the show I suppose.

And still nothing is ever done ..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

And still nothing is ever done ..

Well if ya keep listening well then probably not.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well if ya keep listening well then probably not.

What else is there ... nothing unless you like Moncreiff.. And I find him more annoying than D'Arcy.. I was hoping that Newstalk would move Hook to afternoon slot but alas, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

I think it will be interesting to see RTE's accounts. Part of me thinks that they are paying Ray 500k a year, but it's to his production company and that Jenny and Will would maybe be employees of Ray. So effectively the 500k is 3 salaries. Speculation obvs.

I seriously doubt this. More likely at least 500k a year just for Ray with the other two getting their own salaries\fees on top of his.

nc6000 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt this. More likely at least 500k a year just for Ray with the other two getting their own salaries\fees on top of his.

Wasn't it worked out in some newspaper a while back that Ray was getting about 250K a year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Wasn't it worked out in some newspaper a while back that Ray was getting about 250K a year?
    Ray D’Arcy’s media production company recorded profits of nearly €215,000 last year – even after paying the RTÉ star an annual salary of almost €250,000.

http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/ray-darcys-media-company-recorded-11880581

The 250,000 euro seems to be the amount his company paid him as a salary. His actual salary from RTE won't be know until march 2018, when RTE next publishes it's top ten earners. The 500,000 euro was the speculated amount when he joined, he says it's less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Rick Parfitt and George Michael dead. Gonna be some serious tears running down Ray's face in the next programme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Operation Transformation starting on RTE tomorrow night. Seems like a decent bunch on it, but wait until they get the tut tutting from presenter Ray D'Arcy and his daily sermons to them.

Not sure if ye heard Gavin Hannigan on Morning Ireland, he's rowing across the Atlantic. He has a bowl of porridge every morning, which I'm sure will have given Ray a bit of morning wood.

Here's Ray in the promo for Operation Transformation, all dressed in black, as if he's preparing for the contestants funerals already. Wonder will his "Million pound Drop" fail get a mention?

000d5b96-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2 RTE stalwarts.

We may get used to them , we'll be looking at them for the next 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Heard the ad for D'arcy on Risin Time earlier:

Ray: This can only happen in Ireland. Mary [or someone] texts in to say 'Michael, you're a bit of a ride'.

Michael Flatley: Thank you Mary. It's very nice of you to say that.

That's the kind of shyte they boast about ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,981 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Guarantee you that Darcy will start the show (if he is working today) saying how last night will have been the first night in a couple of weeks that a lot of people didnt have a few drinks.

It tooks him twenty minutes to work out a way of shoehorning in his "turning in the grave" pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,364 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does her fella peddle to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I didn't think it was possible, but Kathryn Thomas's intros are even more boring than D'Arcy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I didn't think it was possible, but Kathryn Thomas's intros are even more boring than D'Arcy's.
    Another porridge lover, Harry.

*Goes to fridge to see if there are any goodies left.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Does her fella peddle to them?

I'd say Jean might spark off a bit of a 'sudden cloudburst ' if she thumbs the 'control knob ' a bit too heavily.

:eek:

She should ditch that guy unless he has a few bob and a frontage.

Waiting to see who is on the weather forecast!!

New low for this poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

A full year eating nothing but potatoes :eek:

Where do they find these people? It has be so unhealthy to restrict yourself to such a limited diet. I couldn't do this, even with half a tub of Kerrygold on the spuds. Life is way too short.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement