Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

liam7831 wrote: »
    Any opportunity to slag off the Catholic Church

100% deserved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Yeah he's certainly capitalized on the tragedy for sure. And says Ray "It's just we all get frustrated when they say one thing then do another".

Ray said he would not be going back to RTE when questioned by Brendan O'Connor. Ray said that he would leave the country if Kenny was elected. Ray said that the missus was leaving TodayFM to mind the kids before showing up in RTE with him the next January. Ray said that Jack Nicholson was going to be on the show before bringing out an imposter. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"If you're a catholic by culture or conviction them you need to have a serious look at yourself."

Try saying that the same thing to a muslim next time you have one on.

How did I manage to raise four children without all these experts to tell me how to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,537 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

If he is referring to it purely as an institution or an organisation and how it is run (or was run in decades past) but I get the impression he's mixing everything up ie. "religion caused sexual and physical abuse and unmarried mothers to be treated horrendously".

It's much more complicated than that. The whole of society was messed up and dysfunctional by our standards today, and not just in Catholic countries, but all over the place. Single mothers with "illegitmate" children were discriminated against everywhere and often treated very badly. Children were second class citizens in every country and often women were as well. It's a bit ignorant of D'Arcy to assume that religion was the cause of all the problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The church did terrible things, but so did a lot of families who threw their kids into institutions rather than suffer a little bit of idle chat from the neighbours.

NIMAN wrote: »
    The church did terrible things, but so did a lot of families who threw their kids into institutions rather than suffer a little bit of idle chat from the neighbours.

The whole of society was messed up if truth be told and it wasn't confined to Ireland either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Strazdas wrote: »
    The whole of society was messed up if truth be told and it wasn't confined to Ireland either.

It wasn't perfect then and certainly is not perfect now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭goochy

What is rays problem with church ? Resentful cause he shared a bed with 8 other kids cause his parents couldn't use contraceptives? Or that the priest didn't bother him cause of how he looked ?

Did ray really say Catholics have to have a good at themselves ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

He seems to have some personal vendetta against the Catholic Church, I don't go myself but what they do doesn't bother me one way or another. Maybe he was made go until 18 or sumthin and holds a grudge because of that

Don't think it should be allowed , must be the sharing the bed with 8 other kids thing. Lol

goochy wrote: »
    What is rays problem with church ? Resentful cause he shared a bed with 8 other kids cause his parents couldn't use contraceptives? Or that the priest didn't bother him cause of how he looked ?

He's a self confessed atheist (which is fair enough) but he seems to lump everything in together : religion, abusive priests and nuns, Church scandals etc as if it is all exactly the same thing and as if Catholics are in favour of all those horrible things that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Darcy is a total lightweight

Why anyone give credence to his outlook is puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Something I wouldn't hold against Ray.. That malevolent death cult has done this country no favours whatsoever, the sooner it dies off the better.

That's your opinion , we shouldnt have to listen to someone constantly make remarks about church, I am not that religious but the church isn't all bad .

I am in my late thirties , I was in hospital a while back . A heroin addict had taken overdose and was in same ward as me , he had fallen out with his family so had no visitors.
    A priest came to hospital to see if any vulnerable people might need a visitor , he met the addict brought him to café in hospital for apple tart and tea and a chat.
    it didn't matter if guy was religious or not , it was something that made me think differently about church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

The problem I have is that Ray has a set agenda, it's not simply a matter of him commenting on a topic that is in the news. D'Arcy has a set anti-Catholic view, and he is disingenuous with the way he puts the questions across saying "Should we re-evaluate our relationship with the Catholic Church", when what he means is "WE SHOULD re-evaluate our relationship with the Catholic Church". He's just playing word games to avoid another letter from the BAI. It's underhanded, and dishonest.

I've no problem with ray's feelings on the church. The thing is he should leave those feelings at the gates of RTÉ when he comes to work. Although an atheist he seems to just be an anti catholic atheist. I've yet to hear him going off on a rant about Islam or protestantism. If I went to work or the pub and started spouting off about the same thing all the time I'd soon find myself sitting alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The simple truth is Ray's an intellectual pygmy, I've seen amoebas at the end of a microscope that you could engage in better philosophical discussions with. He's a classic solipsist, only capable of seeing the reality of his own life, family and friends, forming his entire world view around that narrow base. A good broadcaster is able to hide his own restricting biases, plays all sides, acts as devils advocate when necessary, creates a challenging environment while instinctively knowing when sensitivity is required.

But of course Ray is not a good broadcaster. He had the intelligence for the Den or Blackboard jungle (just about), not his own sometimes serious daytime radio show.

he gained a family late in life , cant see him being someone with many friends ? any celebrities hes friends with ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

he gained a family late in life , cant see him being someone with many friends ? any celebrities hes friends with ?

Sure didn't he sneak in the back door of RTE on his first day back so he didn't have to talk to old colleagues. So no, I doubt he has any celeb friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Who gives a shyte about celebs? If you measure a person's quality of life by that yardstick, you're sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

its absolutley GUTS darcy that women have had the vote from day one in this country.

one less thing for him to rant about.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

to his wife thinks there are mediocre men in radio
    she's right there ray

so basically its a holiday in a bunch of shyteholes you'd NEVER live in in your life ray.

jaysus.

I don't , just saying don't think he would be popular person.
    Jenny tells Ray theres lots of mediocre men on radio !! her husband being even worst then that.

Ray tries to win over the women saying if more women in power world would be a better place - maybe in the Middle east or somewhere but in Western world female politicians no better than male - a politician is a politician

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

do hallmark do cards yet for international women's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

is he wearing a dress today?

ah here im off.

patronising stuff like this is how trump became president.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Ray tries to win over the women saying if more women in power world would be a better place - maybe in the Middle east or somewhere but in Western world female politicians no better than male - a politician is a politician

Agreed there, you only have to look North to see the women up there in leading roles, as hostile as any man and on both sides of the divide. Barring the Peace Women of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement