Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

More RTE dross.

Over 20 scriptwriters, huge research and productions teams, writers paid even more obscene sums than rte presenters and still Fair City has more plot holes than a mole infested garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Jaysus, that's a racket - sounds like the local pub session after too many pints!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

"I think next year all the radio shows on RTE should be presented by women on this day."

He's such a pandering lick ar$e. Loves to be seen to be supporting popular "causes".

In fairness one of the guests came up with a good response. "You just want to have another day off Ray!" Ray laughed along though he knew it was only a half joke.

In fairness one of the guests came up with a good response. "You just want to have another day off Ray!" Ray laughed along though he knew it was only a half joke.

No doubt D'Arcy also wants equality of pay in RTE. So that all the men in RTE can get the same hourly rate as Marion Finucane, it has to be said.

• Advertisement

No doubt D'Arcy also wants equality of pay in RTE. So that all the men in RTE can get the same hourly rate as Marion Finucane, it has to be said...

By which token Ray would be entitled to somewhere in the region of €5m per annum before heroically volunteering a 50% pay cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

goochy wrote: »
    That's your opinion , we shouldnt have to listen to someone constantly make remarks about church, I am not that religious but the church isn't all bad .

I am in my late thirties , I was in hospital a while back . A heroin addict had taken overdose and was in same ward as me , he had fallen out with his family so had no visitors.
    A priest came to hospital to see if any vulnerable people might need a visitor , he met the addict brought him to café in hospital for apple tart and tea and a chat.
    it didn't matter if guy was religious or not , it was something that made me think differently about church.

Similarly, one of the most committed and comprehensive drug/alcohol rehab charities in Ireland is Cuan Mhuire, a Catholic charity, and they will take in anyone, even the most desperate and awful addict

• Registered Users Posts: 18,537 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The simple truth is Ray's an intellectual pygmy, I've seen amoebas at the end of a microscope that you could engage in better philosophical discussions with. He's a classic solipsist, only capable of seeing the reality of his own life, family and friends, forming his entire world view around that narrow base. A good broadcaster is able to hide his own restricting biases, plays all sides, acts as devils advocate when necessary, creates a challenging environment while instinctively knowing when sensitivity is required.

But of course Ray is not a good broadcaster. He had the intelligence for the Den or Blackboard jungle (just about), not his own sometimes serious daytime radio show.

I completely agree. His comments on the Catholic Church are surprisingly ignorant and he seems incapable of separating the institution from religion. In his world view, "the Church scandals were caused by religion" and therefore his solution is to reject religion and become an atheist. There is no context with him, no sense that he understands that the whole of Irish society may have been dysfunctional back then, that religion was only one factor among many for people treating other people badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

What Ray misses is he says " Isn't that batty" "Wasn't it mad back then?". He is comparing these times to MODERN Ireland. Horrible things happened but todays Ireland is a great country.

Strazdas wrote: »
    I completely agree. His comments on the Catholic Church are surprisingly ignorant and he seems incapable of separating the institution from religion. In his world view, "the Church scandals were caused by religion" and therefore his solution is to reject religion and become an atheist. There is no context with him, no sense that he understands that the whole of Irish society may have been dysfunctional back then, that religion was only one factor among many for people treating other people badly.

Precisely. There is no heft or depth to his understanding of complex issues, everything seems obvious to him and he's chronically incapable of ever challenging his own assumptions. When he tries to engage with people of superior intellect he gets his arse handed to him, as with Hook after the US election, and god know Georgie boy is more hot air than intellectual powerhouse!

I actually dont entirely blame him, the fault lies as much with those who indulge him, mostly those in RTE who lack the backbone to bring him into line. Even those frequent BAI judgements against him achieve little, he just sulks (as witnessed on the Tommy Tiernan show) and refuses to see the blinding obvious ie that he lacks the nous and high professional standards to be a half-way competent broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

"I think next year all the radio shows on RTE should be presented by women on this day."

He's such a pandering lick ar$e. Loves to be seen to be supporting popular "causes".

Probably just looking for another day off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Precisely. There is no heft or depth to his understanding of complex issues, everything seems obvious to him and he's chronically incapable of ever challenging his own assumptions. When he tries to engage with people of superior intellect he gets his arse handed to him, as with Hook after the US election, and god know Georgie boy is more hot air than intellectual powerhouse!

I actually dont entirely blame him, the fault lies as much with those who indulge him, mostly those in RTE who lack the backbone to bring him into line. Even those frequent BAI judgements against him achieve little, he just sulks (as witnessed on the Tommy Tiernan show) and refuses to see the blinding obvious ie that he lacks the nous and high professional standards to be a half-way competent broadcaster.

Really agree with this. Himself and Hook are on polar opposites but go about their work in the exact same way. Should stick the 2 of them in one room and let them tear each other apart. it doesnt neccesarily have to be broadcast:D

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

I don't normally think of the Ray D'Arcy show as being the most intellectually incisive, but at least I learned that the expression is "on tenterhooks", not "on tenderhooks"; as regards the distinction between "ransacked" and "ramsacked", I'm a bit confused...

Curious thing about this time slot is that it seems regardless of the host, there is a regular LGBT slot. Yesterday book story, today Brian Kennedy, tomorrow ?. I used to think it was a Mooney thing, but the edict must come down from higher up. Not that I object hugely, it's just odd that sexual identities don't figure much regularly in other slots. 1500-1630 seems to be RTE Radio1 default.

That must be the cover of the Only Fools and Horses version of the song as opposed to the Roy Orbison one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭goochy

hook is a legend , do not compare him to farcy !
    tell me about Darcy sulking on Tommy Tiernan show ? was surprised he agreed to it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,537 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He seems well read and well up on current affairs and yet he also appears quite closed minded and one dimensional on many subjects and incapable of seeing it from the opposing point of view (or even seeing that there is an opposing point of view). His opinions could be labelled as cranky, perhaps even ignorant in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

He would never suggest that Radio 1 have 50% female hosts regularly tho, don't be crazy!

tell me about Darcy sulking on Tommy Tiernan show ? was surprised he agreed to it

"There's fellas out there Tommy who's job is just to sit there and listen all day and complain. Sure you can't get away with anything these days. It's all balance, balance, balance.......etc etc etc"

A veritable martyr he is.

He seems well read and well up on current affairs and yet he also appears quite closed minded and one dimensional on many subjects and incapable of seeing it from the opposing point of view (or even seeing that there is an opposing point of view). His opinions could be labelled as cranky, perhaps even ignorant in some cases.

He may well read lots of books and inform himself on issues that are going to crop up, but it does not show up well in the delivery. In fact, being under-researched is famously part of his schtick which is designed, I think, to lend a more informal, intimate touch to interviews but more often ends up just making it all look shabby and amateurish.

One that stands out for me is when he had the golfing Maguire twins on some time before the Olympics. Because he had done absolutely zilch research, he spent the majority of the interview asking the most basic and inane questions about their background and the set-up of golf at the Olympics and the whole thing was aimless and unsatisfying. Actually it was almost exactly like a Tommy Tiernan show interview if you removed the charisma, the humour and the talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,423 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Please tell me that was meant as a joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Are you one of the people who says "Hook tells it as it is"?

yes fellow trump supporter too !

George just strikes me as a guy who spent half his life depressed and now that he has finally got it together, he's having a blast and is determined to enjoy whatever time he has left. I like that attitude personally, gives hope to any man (or woman) suffering the dregs of a midlife crisis, wondering what's left to go on for. Hook offers a decent argument that your post-50s or even 60s or 70s can still be the best years of your life.

Didn't have him down exactly as a Trump supporter, though, but dont pay enough heed to be sure. Thought it was just a position to take, a place where he can gobble up half-witted pinky liberal wannabes like D'arcy and his ilk, wolfing them down like a few tasty hors d'oeuvres before his main meal of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Are you one of the people who says "Hook tells it as it is"?

Hook tells it like it is alright - from the perspective of a middle class, middle aged man with a win-the-lottery pension to look forward to. He's insufferable.

D'arcy is actually turning into Alan Partridge. I'm genuinely wondering if he is trolling his listeners. I tuned in the other day on International Women's Day, and listener called Frances texted to basically say her boss insulted her when she had mentioned about the day and it's meaning. But Ray barely registered the content of the text but rambled on for about a minute about the listener's name.

"So that's Frances with an e so that's a female and with an i it's a man. Right, right so that was a female. Yeah.. Yeah.. right!" :rolleyes:

Hook has plenty of people like myself who adore him - don't think theres many people who adore Ray - just suffer him.
    He is well off but doesn't rub it in and he didn't grow up middle class.

What's with these 'celebs' that do slots on programmes like this. They seem to mostly have their heads stuck up their arses. Some other 'poet', gossip writer one on earlier with Dave Fanning as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

he didn't grow up middle class.
    They are often the worst, some of the worst snobs I have ever come across came from very modest backgrounds. I do agree Hook isn't like that though

God this is a tired old repetitive nonsense. Three people come in to studio for it. Much like Ray himself, this item has seen it's day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Looks like we'll be in for a porridge fest today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement