Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Why does he sound so dejected when presenting the show.. Every day he does his usual "just hit that button there, that's it" at the start of the show, like an RAF pilot who had commandeered a Messerschmidt BF109E and just manage to get the engine running, only to follow up with some tired, passionless, reluctant monologue about an apple he ate for lunch (or some such).. He brings no energy or enthusiasm for the things he is talking about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Why does he sound so dejected when presenting the show.. Every day he does his usual "just hit that button there, that's it" at the start of the show, like an RAF pilot who had commandeered a Messerschmidt BF109E and just manage to get the engine running, only to follow up with some tired, passionless, reluctant monologue about an apple he ate for lunch (or some such).. He brings no energy or enthusiasm for the things he is talking about...

Presumeably, Thats what people want to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

neris wrote: »
    i think rays afraid that he might find out that people are critical of his show and his style if he had twitter and not everyone loves him as much as he thinks. take a look at his wifes twitter not far off some of the show drivel

People can live without Twitter you know, probably would just invite the sort of abuse he gets here.

Write to him with your name & address if you feel that strongly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

ask her about John Altman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Think Ray is afraid to come out of the past. Every other show has twitter and facebook keeping up to speed. More at home here on RTE 1.

What use is twitter and facebook?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Hope Vinny B's line didn't have "due dilligence" in it- he'd have needed 5,000 takes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Arther murphys on now and the intro jingle same as the one on today fm. Thought they might freshin it up

• Site Banned Posts: 11 Mr Barbie

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Arther murphys on now and the intro jingle same as the one on today fm. Thought they might freshin it up

Why change a losing formula ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Think Ray is afraid to come out of the past. Every other show has twitter and facebook keeping up to speed. More at home here on RTE 1.

Could never understand his dislike of twitter, it somes up his disdain for technology and inclusiveness, god forbid the listeners might have a new avenue to communicate with the show.

I also agree about his general air of moroseness, he just sounds depressed. Maybe the move to rte hasn't provided him with the impetus and rejuvenation he thought leaving Today FM would bring. Maybe after 15 years on the air 5 days a week he's professionally and mentally jaded?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

heybaby wrote: »
    Could never understand his dislike of twitter, it somes up his disdain for technology and inclusiveness, god forbid the listeners might have a new avenue to communicate with the show.

I also agree about his general air of moroseness, he just sounds depressed. Maybe the move to rte hasn't provided him with the impetus and rejuvenation he thought leaving Today FM would bring. Maybe after 15 years on the air 5 days a week he's professionally and mentally jaded?

Savage is a breath of fresh air by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Gits_bone wrote: »

Can quite significantly build audience, helpful when you're losing 15,000 listeners like he was on Today FM...

L1011 wrote: »
    Can quite significantly build audience, helpful when you're losing 15,000 listeners like he was on Today FM...

I'm sure if RTE were worried they'd set one up. It's not like D'arcy would be using it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

MrMac84 wrote: »

Wasn't that the opening music to the 'real' Mailbag on RTÉ 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Who was the Agony Aunt he had on recently? Is it Niamh Fitzpatrick that was with him on TodayFM?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Brendão wrote: »
    Who was the Agony Aunt he had on recently? Is it Niamh Fitzpatrick that was with him on TodayFM?

Niamh is with anton, not sure who their new agony aunt is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Gits_bone wrote: »

Imagine having to firefight on 2 extra fronts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

not a fan of ray but ive found myself listening more than i ever did to marty morrisey !

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

not a fan of ray but ive found myself listening more than i ever did to marty morrisey !

:)

If Marty is your bench mark....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

L1011 wrote: »

He also has to find the 26,000 that Mooney lost last year.

Twitter is an awful tool, the lack of any restrictions on it makes it a place where keyboard warriors, bullies and trolls thrive. As Twiitter can't seem to find a way to make any money out it, hopefully it will be put out of its misery sooner rather than later.

He also has to find the 26,000 that Mooney lost last year.

Twitter is an awful tool, the lack of any restrictions on it makes it a place where keyboard warriors, bullies and trolls thrive. As Twiitter can't seem to find a way to make any money out it, hopefully it will be put out of its misery sooner rather than later.

Yeah you'd just get people who are forced to listen to him at work but yet still are able to compare to his show on Today FM posting to the page. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Ah God. The woman looking for a man she met 3 years ago! FFS!!!

what colour was the cardigan- might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

"Searching for a needle in a haystack"

Yeah, because there must be millions of teachers from Charleville called Fran :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

what colour was the cardigan- might help?

Thats like something Joe would ask.

"40% of the people on the flight ended up in the abortion clinic", seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 worried parent Marie

This email is such a troll

Ray on his soapbox. Come back Derek, all is forgiven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

OMG that poor child - what a shameful, cowardly country we are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

"40% of the people on the flight ended up in the abortion clinic", seriously?

Aren't the stats something like 12 people a day?

Now lets suppose each person brings someone with them so that's 24 people a day. Now let's be really generous and double that because we know the original stats are understated as not everyone gives their real address. So that's 50 people a day and they all just happened to be on the same flight the emailer is on even though their must be close to 100 other flights they could have taken.

• Advertisement

I'm waiting for somebody to text in saying "I was listening to that email and the tears were streaming down my face".

Probably written by the same D'Arcy Show researcher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement