Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Don't cross the Brenner.

Just joshing, Brian, no insult or anything like that intended.

Just fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Tell you this Harry, intellectual heavyweight he is not.

I get a haircut around once every six weeks and if there are special occasions perhaps sooner .

The level of encounter in such establishments is, let's say, lower than a snakes belly in a wheel rut, the aural offering usually involves gimps with mid Atlantic accents pumping out quizzes and prizes the most difficult question usually being "What is the capital city of Ireland"

Ouagadougou

Bamako

Conakry

Dublin

Terrible stuff Harry, I'm sure you will agree

I'd be more Donald Trump than Kevin Keegan for your info.

Terrible mullet that, surprised you would paint me into that stuff.

Much more sophisticated .

Have you down as a Dessie O'Malley (back in the day)tired pulled over to the side wavy geezer just for info.

Plastered down.

More oil than a worn out tractor
    Just joshing, Brian, no insult or anything like that intended.

Just fun.

That was how I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

sligojoek wrote: »
    Oh my God Baz is sooooo amaaaayyyyyzing. But he's more siuited to 2fm or i104.

He's more suited to a conversation with a bunch of 15 year old girls..... loike...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Is that pri5k off again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'd be more Donald Trump than Kevin Keegan for your info.

Terrible mullet that, surprised you would paint me into that stuff.

Much more sophisticated .

Have you down as a Dessie O'Malley (back in the day)tired pulled over to the side wavy geezer just for info.

Plastered down.

More oil than a worn out tractor

It's probably the first and only time I've ever heard Donald Trump's hairstyle refrerred to as "sophisticated", Bren, but each to their own.
    I used to frequent a barber shop that was always tuned in to Lyric. It was a pleasure to get ones barnet chopped whilst listening to the likes of Satie and Shostakovich. Not as much need for a barber these days as the wonders of hair clippers have rendered them surplus to requirements but I'll always have Shostakovich's Waltz No.2, so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Ray's biggest problem is his lack of education and 'knowledge'

Now,fine for hairdresser radio where the top topic is who won the 'Lohho' and the Yoooouro Millions'

However......

Lad was on today talking to the barber dude from Coothill,and he refers to the 'Anglo Celt' a well known widely read newspaper in that area.

It's high in media terminology. The biggest dope in the country has heard about it.

And this clown has to ask is it pronounced'Anglo Celt' or 'Anglo Selt' soft c, which of course it is.

In a nutshell, that's what's wrong with this guy.

I won't go into his ignorance of the word 'kafir' with the Muslim person.

He is way out of his depth in these interviews, comes across as a total clown.

In fairness to Ray D'Arcy, it isn't necessarily obvious why the Celt, in Anglo Celt, is pronounced as an s sound.

Seemingly Anton Savage, or someone else speaking on the Anton Savage show, also made the mistake of pronouncing it the wrong way, judging by this twitter post, by The Anglo Celt, on 18th December 2015:

https://twitter.com/theanglocelt/status/677805884056190976

In fairness to Ray D'Arcy, it isn't necessarily obvious why the Celt, in Anglo Celt, is pronounced as an s sound.

Seemingly Anton Savage, or someone else speaking on the Anton Savage show, also made the mistake of pronouncing it the wrong way, judging by this twitter post, by The Anglo Celt, on 18th December 2015:

https://twitter.com/theanglocelt/status/677805884056190976

That's my whole point Horse.

It isnt obvious,but to a person working in the media, being the age he is, doing the programme he is doing,it shows a serious lack of broad awareness not to have heard of the Anglo Celt before, serious lack of as I say general knowledge.

Tyrone and Down are playing for the Anglo Celt Cup tomorrow

I doubt if heard of that either.

Like I said 'hairdresser radio' "Would you get annoyed if your partner got a tattoo" kinda stuff.or "Why do some women wear such tight fitness shorts"

That kind of general dross..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Lad was on today talking to the barber dude from Coothill,and he refers to the 'Anglo Celt' a well known widely read newspaper in that area.

It's high in media terminology. The biggest dope in the country has heard about it.

And this clown has to ask is it pronounced'Anglo Celt' or 'Anglo Selt' soft c, which of course it is.

In a nutshell, that's what's wrong with this guy.

I never heard of the Anglo Celt newspaper. Why would you call him a clown for asking its pronunciation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm certainly no fan of his, but I've also assumed it was pronounced Kelt as well.

I'm certainly no fan of his, but I've also assumed it was pronounced Kelt as well.

Indeed. Does anyone know how the name of the newspaper came about, and why it uses the 's' pronunciation?

Anglo Celt might refer to the Celts? Or Celtic Britons?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Britons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts

http://www.knowth.com/celts.html

http://www.ancient.eu/celt/

Perhaps one does not need to be termed a "clown", to make the mistake of assuming the Anglo Celt newspaper would pronounce Celt, the way Celt seems to be pronounced in most other cases, apart from the newspaper and the soccer team?

Another Wikipedia entry mentions the pronunciation of the newspaper, which by stressing the way the newspaper is pronounced, suggests that the more common pronunciation is 'c' as in car or carrot, or Celtic warrior or Celtic mythology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_mythology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Celtic

It states:

"Anglo-Celtic people are those of British or English and Celtic descent.[1] The concept is mainly relevant outside of Great Britain and Ireland, particularly in Australia but also in Canada, the United States, New Zealand and South Africa, where a significant diaspora is located.
    The term is a combination of the combining form Anglo- and the adjective Celtic. Anglo-, meaning English[2] is derived from the Angles, a Germanic people who settled in Britain (mainly in what is now England) in the middle of the first millennium. The name England (Old English: Engla land or Ængla land) originates from these people.[3] Celtic,[4] in this context, refers to the people of Ireland, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man and Cornwall.
    Recorded usage dates as far back to at least the mid-19th century.

A newspaper of the name, The Anglo-Celt (pronounced in this case as 'Anglo-Selt'), was founded in County Cavan in Ireland in 1846. In an 1869 publication, the term was contrasted with Anglo-Saxon as a more appropriate term for people of British and Irish descent worldwide:
    "Anglo-Saxon," as applied to the modern British people, and Britannic race, I believe every impartial scholar will agree with me in thinking a gross misnomer. For if it can be shown that there is a large Celtic element even in the population of England itself, still more unquestionable is this, not only with regard to the populations the British Isles generally, but also with reference to the English-speaking peoples of America and Australasia. Even the English are rather Anglo-Celts than Anglo Saxons; and still more certainly is Anglo-Celtic a more accurate term than Anglo-Saxon, not only for that British nationality which includes the Scots, the Irish and the Welsh; but also for that Britannic race, chief elements in the formation of which have been Welsh, Scottish and Irish immigrants.[5]
    The term lends itself to the term Anglo-Celtic Isles, an alternative term for the British Isles.[6] Use in this term can be seen in a 1914 Irish unionist ballad:
    The United Anglo-Celtic Isles
    Will e'er be blessed by Freedoms smiles
    No tyrant can our homes subdue
    While Britons to the Celts are true.
    The false may clamour to betray
    The brave will still uphold our sway
    The triple-sacred flag as yet
    Supreme, its sun shall never set
    — Southern Unionist Ballad (Ennis Unionist, 1914)".

This documentary suggests that the name Celt derives from the Greek word Keltoi (with a K:))

A talk by Professor Barry Cunliffe in 2008:

• Advertisement

bobbyss wrote: »
    I never heard of the Anglo Celt newspaper. Why would you call him a clown for asking its pronunciation?

Because someone in his fifties,working in the media all his life, anchoring an 90 min programme on the no. 1 national radio station, getting paid .5 mill a year, should know stuff like that.

That's why.

Because someone in his fifties,working in the media all his life, anchoring an 90 min programme on the no. 1 national radio station, getting paid .5 mill a year, should know stuff like that.

That's why.

I don't agree. Everyone with a similar background should be aware of the names of local newspapers throughout the country? He should be aware of newspapers from Leitrim, through Wexford to Carlow and beyond? I am not so sure I have to say. Remember part of his background was in kids programmes: Zig and Zag and so on. I think he is primarily a broadcaster as opposed to a journalist. If he were the latter he would come from a newspaper background maybe working his way around various local newspapers until he makes a breakthrough to a national paper. He didn't do that. But he's a broadcaster and that implies different skills, different interests. His concerns and emphasis would be more far reaching than knowing the names of local newspapers.

bobbyss wrote: »
    I don't agree. Everyone with a similar background should be aware of the names of local newspapers throughout the country? He should be aware of newspapers from Leitrim, through Wexford to Carlow and beyond? I am not so sure I have to say. Remember part of his background was in kids programmes: Zig and Zag and so on. I think he is primarily a broadcaster as opposed to a journalist. If he were the latter he would come from a newspaper background maybe working his way around various local newspapers until he makes a breakthrough to a national paper. He didn't do that. But he's a broadcaster and that implies different skills, different interests. His concerns and emphasis would be more far reaching than knowing the names of local newspapers.

He's primarily a spoofer and fuck knows why he commands a fee of €500,000 per annum. He should be down on his hands and knees every night thanking the God he doesn't believe in for having undeservedly struck so lucky in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He knows exactly how Anglo Celt is pronounced. It was filler.

He's primarily a spoofer and **** knows why he commands a fee of €500,000 per annum. He should be down on his hands and knees every night thanking the God he doesn't believe in for having undeservedly struck so lucky in life.

Absolutely. Why can't employers follow the Vincent Browne philosophy: Offer these... eh 'stars' let's say €100.000 or less and if they don't accept let them .... off for themselves. Many are vastly overpaid but D'arcy in particular. I always feel they get away with murder. I'm always wondering why do some get so highly paid and I simply can't fathom it. Dave Fanning is another on my hit list. Can't abide him. How he made it on the radio is one of the wonders of the world.

Let's be quite clear here, I have nothing personal against Mr D'arcy.

I just feel that a person conducting what I would describe as fairly serious interviews on the main national radio platform should be more 'aware' of the bigger picture, the general stuff that anyone, or most people, would pick up from day to say living.

In his broadcasting persona he comes across as a person who has a very narrow sphere of interest and that may be attributed to his long stint on 'hairdresser radio' where the most pressing topic might be Liam Gallaghers feud with Noel or the latest headline from 'Heat' or inviting scrotes to ring in with stories like" What I would do if I won the Lottho(sic)"

So maybe I'm being a bit harsh that he seemed uncomfortable with the 'Anglo Celt.

It's probably the first and only time I've ever heard Donald Trump's hairstyle refrerred to as "sophisticated", Bren, but each to their own.
    I used to frequent a barber shop that was always tuned in to Lyric. It was a pleasure to get ones barnet chopped whilst listening to the likes of Satie and Shostakovich. Not as much need for a barber these days as the wonders of hair clippers have rendered them surplus to requirements but I'll always have Shostakovich's Waltz No.2, so to speak.

Had you down as more of a Foster & Allen lad Harry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Radio people use the technique of feigned ignorance to get information across. I didn't hear the exchange about the Anglo Celt but D'Arcy could easily have pretended not to know the Selt pronunciation to promulgate the correct form to the masses.

I will jump to the opinion that a majority of listeners in Cavan would not know the names of local papers in Cork and Kerry, nor the name of the cup which is presented to the Munster football champions. And there should be no assumption of knowledge in the opposite direction. He would also get a negative reaction if he paraded his knowledge of this esoteric pronunciation in a superior way. ("And before people start phoning and e mailing it is not pronounced Kelt")

I am an Impartial Reporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In fairness to Ray in this case I doubt anybody outside of shercock gives a f**k how Anglo celt is pronounced... Nor should they

In fairness to Ray in this case I doubt anybody outside of shercock gives a f**k how Anglo celt is pronounced... Nor should they

Have politely disagree with that assertion Ash.

I seem to repeating myself here but this lad is on national radio on a huge salary so surely some standards are expected?

Now as dxhound intimated it could be as he described it, and if I didn't hear several other examples from Mr D'Arcy which ,quite frankly, nonplussed me that he would not be aware of,I might believe him,but I'm afraid the lad has form in general knowledge spheres it would seem to me.

It's one thing knowing Coldplays biggest selling output, or who is on the cover of Heat with Peter Andre, but there's more to knowledge than that,surely?

We have higher standards I hope than making it up as you go along.

• Advertisement

Radio people use the technique of feigned ignorance to get information across. I didn't hear the exchange about the Anglo Celt but D'Arcy could easily have pretended not to know the Selt pronunciation to promulgate the correct form to the masses.

I will jump to the opinion that a majority of listeners in Cavan would not know the names of local papers in Cork and Kerry, nor the name of the cup which is presented to the Munster football champions. And there should be no assumption of knowledge in the opposite direction. He would also get a negative reaction if he paraded his knowledge of this esoteric pronunciation in a superior way. ("And before people start phoning and e mailing it is not pronounced Kelt")

I am an Impartial Reporter.

Indeed, often on phone in shows like Liveline, the caller will mention during the show - without having gone into detail about the issue, about which they are speaking live on radio - that they already spoke to the researcher, and gave details, to the show's researcher, about the issue, before the show began.

The presenter will then say to the caller that they know the background to the issue, but will ask the caller to detail the background, for the benefit of the listeners.

I also think it's possible that Ray D'Arcy knew the pronunciation, but may have just asked it, for the benefit of the listeners.

He asked - before he mentioned the name of the paper - how Anglo Celt is pronounced. That strongly suggests that he knew it was pronounced 'Selt', but asked how it is pronounced, for the benefit of listeners. If he didn't know it was pronounced 'Selt', he'd have just gone ahead and pronounced it Celt, as in Celtic Mythology, without asking the interviewee how it is pronounced.

On that issue, I think the poster Brendan Bendar is being harsh in his/her criticism.

I don't think there was anything wrong in the way Ray D'Arcy asked the question. It's an interesting point, to ask why it is pronounced 'Selt' and not Celt.

Here is the interview. The mention of the Anglo Celt newspaper is at the 4 minutes and 10 seconds mark:

http://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21202563_19148_13-07-2017_

here is an item on Wikipedia, which indicates that both pronunciations have been used, and it states that the K pronunciation became more common in the latter part of the 20th Century:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Celts#Pronunciation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts

In the Wikipedia entry - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Celts#Pronunciation - it is stated:

"The initial consonant of the English words Celt and Celtic is realised primarily as /k/ and occasionally /s/ in both modern UK standard English and American English, although /s/ was formerly the norm. The English word originates in the 17th century, taken from the Celtæ of classical Latin. Until the mid 19th century, the sole pronunciation in English was /selt/ in keeping of the treatment of the letter ⟨c⟩ inherited by Middle English from Old French and Late Latin".

"Beginning in the mid-19th century, academic publications advocated the use of the harder /k/ pronunciation as used in classical Latin where Celtæ was pronounced /keltai/".

"The pronunciation with /s/ remained standard throughout the 19th to early 20th century, but the variant with /k/ seems to have gained ground in academia during the later 20th century. On the other hand, the /s/ pronunciation remains the most recognised form when it occurs in the names of sports teams, most notably Celtic Football Club, in Scotland, and the Boston Celtics basketball team, in the United States. Cavan newspaper The Anglo-Celt also uses the soft c pronunciation in its name".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

it's like when people are talking on the phone in tv/film and we are only hearing one person speak
    "so you want me to rob the bank at number 15 Halsey Road", the one we can hear converses in an unnatural way by repeating a lot of what they are hearing so the viewer knows what is going on.

"We don't have the resources", says an idiot who's paid half a million a year by the taxpayer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The Station House Hotel will be delighted with Rays knowledge...

This fella has done some great subliminal advertising for Lidl. I hope he's getting a cut of their advertising budget.

Buy Lidl.. Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

sligojoek wrote: »
    Buy Lidl.. Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..Buy Lidl..

I thought it was a song talking about little boys.

I'd say he was up all night writing that chorus

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Station House Hotel will be delighted with Rays knowledge...

What was that bit about?
    I presume it's the one in Clifden?

• Advertisement

Ray: They're probably giving out about the gender gap in RTE as well.

No Ray, they're more concerned with the ridiculous money being paid to the "Talent".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement