Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭plodder

Apparently Heuston station used to be called 'Knightsbridge' when Ray was a nipper ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭goochy

Was Jenny referring to Ray or was it a case of people in glass houses ?
    wasn't she in The Snapper as Ray constantly reminds us ? maybe she had dreams of being in the limelight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

plodder wrote: »
    Apparently Heuston station used to be called 'Knightsbridge' when Ray was a nipper ...

Ray is a Kingsbridge talent on Knightsbridge money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Indeed, often on phone in shows like Liveline, the caller will mention during the show - without having gone into detail about the issue, about which they are speaking live on radio - that they already spoke to the researcher, and gave details, to the show's researcher, about the issue, before the show began.

The presenter will then say to the caller that they know the background to the issue, but will ask the caller to detail the background, for the benefit of the listeners.

I also think it's possible that Ray D'Arcy knew the pronunciation, but may have just asked it, for the benefit of the listeners.

He asked - before he mentioned the name of the paper - how Anglo Celt is pronounced. That strongly suggests that he knew it was pronounced 'Selt', but asked how it is pronounced, for the benefit of listeners. If he didn't know it was pronounced 'Selt', he'd have just gone ahead and pronounced it Celt, as in Celtic Mythology, without asking the interviewee how it is pronounced.

On that issue, I think the poster Brendan Bendar is being harsh in his/her criticism.

I don't think there was anything wrong in the way Ray D'Arcy asked the question. It's an interesting point, to ask why it is pronounced 'Selt' and not Celt.

Here is the interview. The mention of the Anglo Celt newspaper is at the 4 minutes and 10 seconds mark:

http://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21202563_19148_13-07-2017_

here is an item on Wikipedia, which indicates that both pronunciations have been used, and it states that the K pronunciation became more common in the latter part of the 20th Century:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Celts#Pronunciation
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts

In the Wikipedia entry - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Celts#Pronunciation - it is stated:

"The initial consonant of the English words Celt and Celtic is realised primarily as /k/ and occasionally /s/ in both modern UK standard English and American English, although /s/ was formerly the norm. The English word originates in the 17th century, taken from the Celtæ of classical Latin. Until the mid 19th century, the sole pronunciation in English was /selt/ in keeping of the treatment of the letter ⟨c⟩ inherited by Middle English from Old French and Late Latin".

"Beginning in the mid-19th century, academic publications advocated the use of the harder /k/ pronunciation as used in classical Latin where Celtæ was pronounced /keltai/".

"The pronunciation with /s/ remained standard throughout the 19th to early 20th century, but the variant with /k/ seems to have gained ground in academia during the later 20th century. On the other hand, the /s/ pronunciation remains the most recognised form when it occurs in the names of sports teams, most notably Celtic Football Club, in Scotland, and the Boston Celtics basketball team, in the United States. Cavan newspaper The Anglo-Celt also uses the soft c pronunciation in its name".

No Horse, thanks for the excerpt but it proves to me that the boy D'arcy hadn't the confidence to go ahead and pronounce it correctly.

Hedging his bets,classic 'I'm not sure what is right, but I will sideslip and hope I won't be seen as an uninformed person'

Covering his ass would be a cruder expression.

Nah horse, hairdresser radio will always churn out these lads who will be found out on the small but meaningful stuff...just like Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

No Horse, thanks for the excerpt but it proves to me that the boy D'arcy hadn't the confidence to go ahead and pronounce it correctly.

Hedging his bets,classic 'I'm not sure what is right, but I will sideslip and hope I won't be seen as an uninformed person'

Covering his ass would be a cruder expression.

Nah horse, hairdresser radio will always churn out these lads who will be found out on the small but meaningful stuff...just like Ray.

I think you are being harsh, in your criticism of Ray D'Arcy, on this issue. He asked the interviewee, before he said Anglo Celt, how it was pronounced, which suggests that he knew it is pronounced 'Selt', but was just asking it for the benefit of listeners. It's an interesting question, to ask why it is pronounced as 'Selt'.

The details about the pronunciation of Celt, on the various items on Wikipedia, indicate that both pronunciations have been used, and that the 'K' pronunciation became more widely used, later in the 20th Century.

Why do feel the need to term the show "hairdresser radio"? It's on five days a week, and covers a wide range of different topics, as do all other radio talk shows, even the current affairs shows like The Last Word with Matt Cooper, where they will discuss music news, or items like reviews of television shows.

You obviously listen to Ray D'Arcy. If you are not a hairdresser, then you are contradicting your assertion that it is "hairdresser radio".:)

You could have termed it "Anyone who listens to Ray D'Arcy Radio".:)

Every talk show on radio, throughout the day, covers a wide range of issues, current affairs, political party debates, and then more light hearted topics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Ray name dropping family members ... again. Aargh!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"I've a Tom too."

I think you are being harsh, in your criticism of Ray D'Arcy, on this issue. He asked the interviewee, before he said Anglo Celt, how it was pronounced, which suggests that he knew it is pronounced 'Selt', but was just asking it for the benefit of listeners. It's an interesting question, to ask why it is pronounced as 'Selt'.

The details about the pronunciation of Celt, on the various items on Wikipedia, indicate that both pronunciations have been used, and that the 'K' pronunciation became more widely used, later in the 20th Century.

Why do feel the need to term the show "hairdresser radio"? It's on five days a week, and covers a wide range of different topics, as do all other radio talk shows, even the current affairs shows like The Last Word with Matt Cooper, where they will discuss music news, or items like reviews of television shows.

You obviously listen to Ray D'Arcy. If you are not a hairdresser, then you are contradicting your assertion that it is "hairdresser radio".:)

You could have termed it "Anyone who listens to Ray D'Arcy Radio".:)

Every talk show on radio, throughout the day, covers a wide range of issues, current affairs, political party debates, and then more light hearted topics.

Incorrect Horse, the excerpt blatantly proves the boy D' Arcy was unsure of the pronunciation, and tried to cover his ass.

Forget Wikipedia, the paper is the 'Anglo Celt' everybody knows that, soft 'c' stop trying to convolute the issue. It's perfectly clear.

Mr D' Arcy has not got the background to cover a proper 'talk show' agenda, based on my listening experience,thats why I refer to it as 'hairdresser radio' to be listened to with half an ear and most of it discarded as chaff with the odd grain of wheat in there.

That laughing persona he tries to portray is to cover up his lack of knowledge, fine for stuff that is played by most hairdressers but not the main radio current affairs channel.

Nothing against the lad personally, but he is out of his depth in his current role.

It's the little things that catch you out Horse,the things which identify the user and can evaluate your assessment of his/ her background sand competencies.

That's how is rolls,Horse, nothing personal

Incorrect Horse, the excerpt blatantly proves the boy D' Arcy was unsure of the pronunciation, and tried to cover his ass.

Forget Wikipedia, the paper is the 'Anglo Celt' everybody knows that, soft 'c' stop trying to convolute the issue. It's perfectly clear.

Mr D' Arcy has not got the background to cover a proper 'talk show' agenda, based on my listening experience,thats why I refer to it as 'hairdresser radio' to be listened to with half an ear and most of it discarded as chaff with the odd grain of wheat in there.

That laughing persona he tries to portray is to cover up his lack of knowledge, fine for stuff that is played by most hairdressers but not the main radio current affairs channel.

Nothing against the lad personally, but he is out of his depth in his current role.

It's the little things that catch you out Horse,the things which identify the user and can evaluate your assessment of his/ her background sand competencies.

That's how is rolls,Horse, nothing personal

It is not incorrect. You have no way of knowing if he genuinely didn't know how it is pronounced. He would have just pronounced it with a K pronunciation if he did not know.

It is not necessarily obvious how the Anglo Celt is pronounced, for anyone who is not familiar with the paper. Can anyone in Cavan - without looking it up - be expected to be familiar with all the local papers that operate in places outside their area - in places like Derry, Tyrone or Armagh, or Clare, or in Mayo, or Cork or Kerry, any more than anyone in those counties, be expected to be familiar with the Anglo Celt and how it is pronounced.

I like how you tell me to forget the items on Wikipedia, that detail, how at various times, both pronunciations were very widely used.

I think we have to put this one to bed Horse.

I will keep an ear out for other examples and we can go head to head again.

Ok?

By the way some dude took him to task for his pronunciation of 'Scealta' as in

'Anois,priobh Scealta na Nuachta, le Peadar O'.......

Raymond ,surprise surprise called it 'Skealta' as in skin,when it should be ' Shkealta as in shop.

But that's just by the by

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Raymond ,surprise surprise called it 'Skealta' as in skin,when it should be ' Shkealta as in shop.

That's funny because I always thought that he pronounced the first part of that word wrong as well.

He pronounces it PHriomhscealta Na Nuachta as in Fri-uv skealta
    When I think is should be Priomhscealta Na Nuachta ... as in Pre-uv skealta

I think we have to put this one to bed Horse.

I will keep an ear out for other examples and we can go head to head again.

Ok?

By the way some dude took him to task for his pronunciation of 'Scealta' as in

'Anois,priobh Scealta na Nuachta, le Peadar O'.......

But that's just by the by

here's another example: Muskerry News

How do you pronounce Muskerry?

http://www.daltai.com/discus/messages/13510/52590.html?1284663858

http://muskerrynews.biz/wp/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

You say tomato I say tom-may-toe, let's call the whole thing off! A line D'arcy often quotes himself

You say tomato I say tom-may-toe, let's call the whole thing off! A line D'arcy often quotes himself

Sure he does, make it up as you go along, that's Raymies m.o.

Heard him today on some promo "Savannah, is that what you call it"

Why the fuhhrk does he have to qualify every unusual description with a query?

Only reason I can think of is, he doesn't have the confidence to take it on himself ...

Hairdresser radio doesn't ask those questions and expose the 'presenters' for what they are- chancers for the most part ,with a poor understanding of the grammatical rules we all try to abide by.

Now I have heard enough of 'done ' and 'seen ' merchants who infest the punditry gigs to know that at the end of the day they know fuhhrke all about the outside world and elevating spenks like that to semi- deity class just shows the paucity of understanding from their followers.

Poor show all round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

What a pro...interviewing man who stumbles over first sentence. Laughs at him and asks does he want to start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

What a pro...interviewing man who stumbles over first sentence. Laughs at him and asks does he want to start again.

A bit rich coming from Mr "yeah, yeah, like you know, yeah, yeah, you know, like, yeah etc" himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ray caught the Nuacht reader off guard there. He went to him thirty seconds early for a change.

Why does every interview with Ray have to involve the subject's medical history?

"That's an awful lot of honey."

Shut up Ray and let the chef do his job. He, at least, knows what he's doing.,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

sligojoek wrote: »
    "That's an awful lot of honey."

Shut up Ray and let the chef do his job. He, at least, knows what he's doing.,

"An awful lot of money..." may be words that'll come back to haunt him in a few weeks...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

You really would have to worry about anybody would who cheer Ray D'Arcy in to a room. Cheer when he leaves certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Loved his nervous laugh when he started about pay row lol

RTE getting great mileage out of the Gender issue when they should be discussing the actual levels of pay.

Where did she get the Maggie Thatcher accent?

How many more times is he going to have Theresa Mannion on to talk about "that" video?
    She must have Been on about 5 times now. Ray giggling like an eejit like its the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

She got him back with the salaries.

She got him back with the salaries.

I didn't catch that bit. I was gone by then.

sligojoek wrote: »
    How many more times is he going to have Theresa Mannion on to talk about "that" video?
    She must have Been on about 5 times now. Ray giggling like an eejit like its the first time.

This lot are still trying to spin the 'gender' non issue in all this when the large great animal in the room is being ignored.

RTE are great at digging in to other folks activities and pay structures, and rightly so, but become very defensive and aggressive when someone delves into theirs.

I heard a small excerpt in the motor in which I don't really know who, apologies for that, intimated that if 'someone' is popular takes over a show and increases audience then they deserve what they get.

My Royal Irish pecker they do!!!

What determines a persons worth is what the opposition is willing to pay and I can assure you there is no opposition in Ireland willing to pay the inflated wages of RTE.

Time this outfit was cleaned out and dragged into 2017.

We the taxpayers of Ireland should demand nothing less.

This lot are still trying to spin the 'gender' non issue in all this when the large great animal in the room is being ignored.
    It clearly is an issue when only two out of ten of RTE's top earner's have been women (2014 figures).

Neverthless, the fact that RTE News only makes an issue of it now after the comparable BBC controversy may be reflective of weak journalistic initiative, and RTE presenters probably feel more comfortable with the 'gender' angle than the thorny issues of their own salaries. To that extent, there is a distinct whiff of 'spin' around the topic.

• Advertisement

It clearly is an issue when only two out of ten of RTE's top earner's have been women (2014 figures).

Neverthless, the fact that RTE News only makes an issue of it now after the comparable BBC controversy may be reflective of weak journalistic initiative, and RTE presenters probably feel more comfortable with the 'gender' angle than the thorny issues of their own salaries. To that extent, there is a distinct whiff of 'spin' around the topic.

Correct Tyrant , that was the point I was trying to make.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement