Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

sligojoek wrote: »
    I didn't catch that bit. I was gone by then.

Ray asked her what she thought of the difference in salaries between the men and women.
    She replied that one of the top ten earners in RTE was sitting opposite her.
    Ray mumbled/giggled/spluttered his way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It clearly is an issue when only two out of ten of RTE's top earner's have been women (2014 figures).

Neverthless, the fact that RTE News only makes an issue of it now after the comparable BBC controversy may be reflective of weak journalistic initiative, and RTE presenters probably feel more comfortable with the 'gender' angle than the thorny issues of their own salaries. To that extent, there is a distinct whiff of 'spin' around the topic.

I don't think it's an issue that "X of the Top 10 are men!". Typically, the more high profile presenters tend to be male (Ray D'Arcy, Ryan Tubridy, Joe Duffy, Dobbo, etc).

The inarguable problem is when there are people doing the same gig on less money, as I believe is the case with Brian Dobson and Sharon Ni Bheolain.

I mean, one of the top paid will likely be Marion Finucane, but it's not exactly a marker of equality that a female host who does two shows a week beats out most of her male counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

As I said already RTE are just using the gender thing as a smokescreen to deflect conversation away from the ridiculous levels of pay they are all getting. The latest Phoenix sums it up.

phoenix-e1501162037278.jpg

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I don't think it's an issue that "X of the Top 10 are men!". Typically, the more high profile presenters tend to be male (Ray D'Arcy, Ryan Tubridy, Joe Duffy, Dobbo, etc).

The inarguable problem is when there are people doing the same gig on less money, as I believe is the case with Brian Dobson and Sharon Ni Bheolain.

I mean, one of the top paid will likely be Marion Finucane, but it's not exactly a marker of equality that a female host who does two shows a week beats out most of her male counterparts.
    Well my question would be, why were 8 in 10 of the best-paid presenters male?

RTE has a 50/50 gender split as an organisation, and despite having plenty of high-profile female presenters across a variety of programmes (Audrey Carville, Rachel English, Keelin Shanley, Claire Byrne, Mary Wilson), they have never been promoted to the top-10. Some of those women actually have international experience with the BBC and Radio France Internationale, which is very unusual among their male counterparts.

You do also raise a valid separate issue about equal pay for equal work, but it isn't simply about radio airtime. For obvious reasons, Marian Finucane's show has a different demographic reach (age and ABC1) to, say, Ronan Collins or shay Byrne, and she has a bigger preparation brief, even if she has less airtime So it can't be judged simply by airtime.

Maybe the Mulvey review will shed some clearer light on all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

sligojoek wrote:
    As I said already RTE are just using the gender thing as a smokescreen to deflect conversation away from the ridiculous levels of pay they are all getting. The latest Phoenix sums it up.

This is what struck me also. I have been flabbergasted by the huge salaries for very mediocre fare.(I wonder what Eileen Dunne is on?) That was what I had been thinking about. Then there was nothing on the news except a gender imbalance, which is an issue, but not the primary issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭goochy

Audrey Carville , cant stand her voice - like Rachel English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Alison Spittle is on. For the uninitiated, all 't's are now 'f's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭goochy

She's not naturally funny but seems nice girl and good sense of humour

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Celeb Operation Trans time again
    Among those taking part is former X Factor contestant, Mary Byrne; Sunday Independent beauty columnist, Triona McCarthy; celebrity chef Gerry O'Hanlon; social media influencer James Patrice and singer Kayleigh Curran.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

social media influencer

Is there a bigger bullshít phrase this year?

• Advertisement

lambayire wrote: »
    social media influencer

Is there a bigger bullshphrase this year?

Yesterday's vloggers are today's SMIs

A shower of almost nobodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Well I've only heard of Mary Byrne.

Well I've only heard of Mary Byrne.

Her and Gary off The Restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

social media influencer

Is there a bigger bullshít phrase this year?

gender pay gap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The BBC are doing the same. Managers on vast sums, easily replaceable "stars" on vast sums, but somehow only "gender equality" matters. So long as the daughters of stockbrokers earn as much as the sons of stockbrokers, all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Celeb Operation Trans time again

Time for D'arcy to saddle up the sanctimony pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

neris wrote: »
    gender pay gap

Good call there N.

Now 'social media influencer'

I am thinking of applying for a post in that field.

Could anyone outline the competencies required to become an 'SMI'

Is it similar to a 'Community Activist' or maybe an 'Adventurer'

Lot of new opportunities springing up, would like to be up to date here.

Ta ta

There won't be a peep out of him about his fees which have been just published.

€400,000 is the figure. So not quite €500k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

It's for 2015 also, was he there for the full year in 2015? I can't remember when he made the move.

nc6000 wrote: »
    It's for 2015 also, was he there for the full year in 2015? I can't remember when he made the move.
    I think he started in February.

nc6000 wrote: »

Started February 2nd of that year, but I think it's safe to assume he was paid for January as he would have been doing prep work.

Diana, wedding dresses. Hairdresser radio again.

Started February 2nd of that year, but I think it's safe to assume he was paid for January as he would have been doing prep work.

Learning to use the buttons and that? That was money well spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

He didn't start the Television show until late September 2015.

I'd expect him to be on more in 2016, whenever they release those figures.

Diana, wedding dresses. Hairdresser radio again.

That sums it up Sligo.

In a nutshell.

But Willie thinks it's good value.

Wonder what Willie is costing us?:mad:

That sums it up Sligo.

In a nutshell.

But Willie thinks it's good value.

Wonder what Willie is costing us?:mad:

Is that the guy that was on with J Murray earlier. I didn't catch his second name.

Willie o Reilly ex Today fm boss man. Not sure his role at RTE but seems to be doing the rounds giving the usual speil for the high wages -advertising revenue, might be head hunted by competitors etc

• Advertisement

Is that the guy that was on with J Murray earlier. I didn't catch his second name.

Yes, Willie O'Reilly smug as a well fed purring cat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement