Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

sligojoek wrote: »
    Did he ever learn to play the piano in 6 weeks like he was supposed to do?

Given poor Rays grasp of general knowledge I seriously doubt it.

"Heimlich Remover" is his latest gaffe.

Electric Picnic is the acme of his knowledge it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Given poor Rays grasp of general knowledge I seriously doubt it.

"Heimlich Remover" is his latest gaffe.

Electric Picnic is the acme of his knowledge it would seem.

Ray D'Arcy stated Heimlich Remover at first, but in the course of his story, he subsequently said Heimlich Manoeuvre three times, as he was reading out comments sent into the show, after he mistakenly had said Heimlich Remover.

It was just a mistake he made, in stating Heimlich Remover.

How do you know, as you claimed in the Liveline thread, that he was corrected through his earphones?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104554851&postcount=6328

On Sunday 3rd September, on The live Sunday Game, on RTE 1, in the pre-match discussion for the All Ireland Hurling Final, Henry Shefflin mistakenly stated that Kilkenny were playing in the final. It was just a simple mistake he made, in the course of a discussion about the semi final matches, where they were comparing how the different teams performed, in the games that were held, prior to today's All Ireland Final, and he straight away corrected himself.

I imagine, similarly, Ray D'Arcy just made a simple mistake, on the show on Friday, in saying Heimlich Remover at the start of his story, rather than Heimlich Manoeuvre.

He had made reference to the Heimlich Manoeuvre at the 7 minutes and 45 second mark, the day before, on Thursday's show - and he stated Heimlich Manoeuvre - with reference to an article in the Meath Chronicle.

I think it was just a simple mistake, that he stated on Friday the word Remover, instead of Manoeuvre, considering the procedure is about removing food to stop choking.

In that sense, I don't think that there is that much wrong with referring to the procedure as a remover.

I don't think Ray D'Arcy mixing up words, describing this emergency procedure, is an indication that he had not heard of the procedure before, which is what you are suggesting.

He mistakenly referred to it as Heimlich Remover in the programme on Friday, but the day before he referred to the procedure as Heimlich Manoeuvre.

Considering one of the purposes of the procedure is to remove trapped food which can cause choking, I don't think the mixing up of the words manoeuvre and remover, is as big a mistake as you are suggesting.

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21227015_19148_31-08-2017_

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21227606_19148_01-09-2017_

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/08/31/4145198-hero-waiter-saves-choking-diner-in-trim-restaurant/

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/the-sunday-game-live-1374/10771230/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Ray D'Arcy stated Heimlich Remover at first, but in the course of his story, he subsequently said Heimlich Manoeuvre three times, as he was reading out comments sent into the show, after he mistakenly had said Heimlich Remover.

It was just a mistake he made, in stating Heimlich Remover.

How do you know, as you claimed in the Liveline thread, that he was corrected through his earphones?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104554851&postcount=6328

On Sunday 3rd September, on The live Sunday Game, on RTE 1, in the pre-match discussion for the All Ireland Hurling Final, Henry Shefflin mistakenly stated that Kilkenny were playing in the final. It was just a simple mistake he made, in the course of a discussion about the semi final matches, where they were comparing how the different teams performed, in the games that were held, prior to today's All Ireland Final, and he straight away corrected himself.

I imagine, similarly, Ray D'Arcy just made a simple mistake, on the show on Friday, in saying Heimlich Remover at the start of his story, rather than Heimlich Manoeuvre.

He had made reference to the Heimlich Manoeuvre at the 7 minutes and 45 second mark, the day before, on Thursday's show - and he stated Heimlich Manoeuvre - with reference to an article in the Meath Chronicle.

I think it was just a simple mistake, that he stated on Friday the word Remover, instead of Manoeuvre, considering the procedure is about removing food to stop choking.

In that sense, I don't think that there is that much wrong with referring to the procedure as a remover.

I don't think Ray D'Arcy mixing up words, describing this emergency procedure, is an indication that he had not heard of the procedure before, which is what you are suggesting.

He mistakenly referred to it as Heimlich Remover in the programme on Friday, but the day before he referred to the procedure as Heimlich Manoeuvre.

Considering one of the purposes of the procedure is to remove trapped food which can cause choking, I don't think the mixing up of the words manoeuvre and remover, is as big a mistake as you are suggesting.

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21227015_19148_31-08-2017_

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21227606_19148_01-09-2017_

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/08/31/4145198-hero-waiter-saves-choking-diner-in-trim-restaurant/

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/the-sunday-game-live-1374/10771230/

It was a bad gaffe. It's certain his producer corrected him on the head phones otherwise it would have been "Remover" all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Ray D'Arcy stated Heimlich Remover at first, but in the course of his story, he subsequently said Heimlich Manoeuvre three times, as he was reading out comments sent into the show, after he mistakenly had said Heimlich Remover. It was just a mistake he made, in stating Heimlich Remover.

I don't have a problem with anybody making a mistake, but if one of the guests had made a similar grammatical mistake, you know that Ray would jump right in abruptly and corrected them.

I don't have a problem with anybody making a mistake, but if one of the guests had made a similar grammatical mistake, you know that Ray would jump right in abruptly and corrected them.

And indeed neither do I, it's just that Ray displays his very poor grasp of stuff outside the 'hairdresser radio' subjects as I refer to it,and drops himself into it in a big way.

You could almost 'hear' him relaxing when those people from Operation Transformation came on, much more in his comfort zone asking people how much weight they expected to lose and tough stuff like that.

Rest assured Brendan won't be tuning into the series although carrying a bit of 'lumber' for sure:o

• Advertisement

He's off.

I don't usually listen to Ray but he hit the nail on the head, just now, about Finian McGrath apparently not engaging with the professional expertise/ evidence on the HPV vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"Commiserations to Galway."

After giving out about someone else not doing research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Basal

I don't usually listen to Ray but he hit the nail on the head, just now, about Finian McGrath apparently not engaging with the professional expertise/ evidence on the HPV vaccine.

The Japanese have withdrawn it tho and as an nation they are big into health screening

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Basal wrote: »
    The Japanese have withdrawn it tho and as an nation they are big into health screening

Untrue, and commonly cited by the scaremongers despite being untrue. It is still available in Japan.

• Advertisement

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    It was a bad gaffe. It's certain his producer corrected him on the head phones otherwise it would have been "Remover" all the way

He just mixed up the words remover and manoeuvre.

Considering one of the aims of the measure is to remove trapped food, I don't think it is that bad a mistake to make.

He was speaking about an article in The Meath Chronicle, about a case where a lady got immediate help to remove trapped food. The point of the article was about getting immediate help when someone is at risk of choking. It was a positive good news story.

I don't think it was that bad a mistake to make, to say remover instead of manoeuvre.

How certain can you be that he was corrected by his producer through the headphones, unless you were in the studio?

To be fair to Finian and others, PARENTS have brought this issue to his attention and he was just representing them. I find the HSE's complete denial of any possibility of any link with the vaccine as less than reassuring.

To be fair to Finian and others, PARENTS have brought this issue to his attention and he was just representing them. I find the HSE's complete denial of any possibility of any link with the vaccine as less than reassuring.
    But what about the medical evidence?

I'm ashamed to admit that after I first heard about this apparent 'link' on Hook's show, I was very skeptical. Then I did what anyone else would do and looked up the *actual* research, much of which is freely available online, that there is tonnes of it. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest a link.

Chronic fatigue syndrome has been around in medical literature for centuries. It's been happening long before the HPV. Just like autism existed before the MMR vaccine.

Parents of children who contract CFS are understandably upset, but they're linking it to a vaccine without any evidence.

He just mixed up the words remover and manoeuvre.

Considering one of the aims of the measure is to remove trapped food, I don't think it is that bad a mistake to make.

He was speaking about an article in The Meath Chronicle, about a case where a lady got immediate help to remove trapped food. The point of the article was about getting immediate help when someone is at risk of choking. It was a positive good news story.

I don't think it was that bad a mistake to make, to say remover instead of manoeuvre.

How certain can you be that he was corrected by his producer through the headphones, unless you were in the studio?

It was a very poor mistake and typical of his performance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Heimlich Remover reminds me of a form of contraception from the 1970's.

A TD is not obliged to work on any and every representation they receive. In this case it was irresponsible for him to do so.

Its no better than the writing letters on behalf of prisoners basically. Actually I'd say its worse.

The HSE are working on medical evidence, not prattle from scaremongerers.

It was a very poor mistake and typical of his performance

It was just a mistake he made live on radio, in referencing the name of the procedure. That's all. It doesn't mean that he had not heard of the procedure before.

He referred to it as Heimlich Manoeuvre on Thursday's show.

It was just a mistake he made live on radio, in referencing the name of the procedure. That's all. It doesn't mean that he had not heard of the procedure before.

He referred to it as Heimlich Manoeuvre on Thursday's show.

One mistake of hundreds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭goochy

So called professional.

One mistake of hundreds

If he hadn't made any mistakes, many who post here, would find fault with him somehow, no matter what he says on the show.

• Advertisement

If he hadn't made any mistakes, many who post here, would find fault with him somehow, no matter what he says on the show.

Nope that's not true.

Nope that's not true.

I think it is true. Most of the people who post here, in this discussion, do so just to be negative about the show.

And indeed neither do I, it's just that Ray displays his very poor grasp of stuff outside the 'hairdresser radio' subjects as I refer to it,and drops himself into it in a big way.

You could almost 'hear' him relaxing when those people from Operation Transformation came on, much more in his comfort zone asking people how much weight they expected to lose and tough stuff like that.

Rest assured Brendan won't be tuning into the series although carrying a bit of 'lumber' for sure:o

It's nice of you, to now refer to the guests on the show, who are taking part in Operation Transformation, as "people", as opposed to "non entities".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104554993&postcount=6330

Most of the built up antipathy to D'Arcy here comes from him not being a competent radio presenter. He tried to make his inability to drive the kit a joke but its well past it not

Can't keep himself on-air, turns in Partridge-lite at times, can't stop himself sighing when he doesn't agree with a guest, reliant on a few regular prop-topics to keep the show going. All extremely valid complaints.

L1011 wrote: »
    Most of the built up antipathy to D'Arcy here comes from him not being a competent radio presenter. He tried to make his inability to drive the kit a joke but its well past it not

Can't keep himself on-air, turns in Partridge-lite at times, can't stop himself sighing when he doesn't agree with a guest, reliant on a few regular prop-topics to keep the show going. All extremely valid complaints.

Do you include as valid points, the numerous comments that are made, which are insulting to the guests interviewed on the show?

Many of the negative comments made about Ray D'Arcy concerning what attitude he might have towards guests on his show, are made by people who have attitudes and prejudiced opinions themselves, towards others. Very often in this forum, posters make insulting comments about guests on the show, who have been interviewed regularly.

It's nice of you, to now refer to the guests on the show, who are taking part in Operation Transformation, as "people", as opposed to "non entities".

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104554993&postcount=6330

I have this bad habit of calling a spade a spade, soz.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2017/0731/894193-operation-transformation/
    I've just had a look at the list of entrants. With the exception of Mary Byrne I've never heard of any of them. Even at that if she came up beside me in a shop I wouldn't have a clue who she was. What the actual f*ck is a "Social influencer"? That's a new one on me.

I've just had a look at the list of entrants. With the exception of Mary Byrne I've never heard of any of them. Even at that if she came up beside me in a shop I wouldn't have a clue who she was. What the actual f*ck is a "Social influencer"? That's a new one on me.

Its up there with 'community activist' 'personal trainer' 'blogger'and stuff Joe.

Y'know, some bore with nothing better to do that pump out their rubbish on the various outlets 7/24.

'Waster' is the word I'd use but that might be a bit non PC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Heimlich Remover

Now that I've heard it I'm sort of surprised more people don't say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭plodder

That reminds me, if you were familiar with Richard Scarry's books as a child, there is a very good (21 century) spoof of one of the illustrations from "Busy Town", with a load of "jobs" like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement