Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

+1

+2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Indeed accents, colloquialisms & dialects do make speech interesting, I'm not so sure not pronouncing one's th's in the standard way falls into any of these categories.

It doesn't matter much as , I'm sure someone will shortly point out, hundreds of thousands of listeners are happy enough to leave the radio on while it happens.

Many of them are even Licence Fee payers!

Gits_bone wrote: »
    So you pretty much don't want any dubs on the radio as they predominantly pronounce things differently.

Maybe you'd like Stephen Hawking to take over the show. Can use his computer to speak and can also program the buttons to press automatically.

Em, Pat Kenny is a True Blue Dub. He's fine, as are many many Dublin born and bred broadcasters.

I believe Ray D'Arcy is from Kildare, but to my ears is not a very accomplished communicator. Not half a million Euro worth.
    He'd be good for reading out the Death Notices on KFM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I respectfully disagree with your assertion that both of those presenters "can't speak properly". Accents, colloquialisms & dialects make speech interesting. I'm glad that the National Broadcaster recognises this and ensures it's output is reflective of its audience.

You need to listen to more Liveline, one show should do it, so to speak.

Expunge wrote: »
    Em, Pat Kenny is a True Blue Dub. He's fine, as are many many Dublin born and bred broadcasters.

I believe Ray D'Arcy is from Kildare, but to my ears is not a very accomplished communicator. Not half a million Euro worth.

Do you think Wayne Rooney is worth 250k a week?

• Advertisement

No soccer player is. But how that's relevant to anything I've no idea.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    No soccer player is. But how that's relevant to anything I've no idea.

And do you know why Rooney gets 250k? Because the market is there for Utd to pay him 250k. If no one showed up to games..do you think Utd would pay him 250k a week?

Same reason D'arcy gets 500k. ;)

JNLR figures disprove your theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Expunge wrote: »

The majoity of AA roadwatch announcers are from Dublin as well "Red Coooooooooow Rooooooound Aboooooooout".

Remember the majority of the people in Ireland AREN'T from Dublin and the world doesn't revolve around Dublin either.

JNLR figures disprove your theory.

And what do the figures prove sir?

• Advertisement

the world doesn't revolve around Dublin either.

Just Ireland.

Just Ireland.

Maybe for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

yes Ray senior is due in later

Hope hes not like Junior, or he'll arrive at Today FM..:pac:

Maybe for you.

Lighten up.

Lighten up.

I just had a $hit and got rid of a pound...........that enough ?;)

Does he frequently fall over his untied laces while bearing in on goal?
    Does he frequently miskick the ball when he's about to take a shot?
    Does Louis Van Gaal pick Colleen in the Manchester United first 11 to play alongside him frequently?

If the answer is yes to any of the above, then yes, they probably pay him too much.

If the punters are still willing to pay in to Old Trafford to see him despite his obvious faults, then no.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Stop talking about Wayne Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

And do you know why Rooney gets 250k? Because the market is there for Utd to pay him 250k. If no one showed up to games..do you think Utd would pay him 250k a week?

Same reason D'arcy gets 500k. ;)

Wayne Rooney can get €5million a week if his employers see fit. It's a private business.

Ray D'Arcy's wages are funded by the licence fee which makes it open to scrutiny.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Wayne Rooney can get €5million a week if his employers see fit. It's a private business.

Ray D'Arcy's wages are funded by the licence fee which makes it open to scrutiny.

Oh no you diiiiiiiidn't !!!!!!

RTE made a big point of stating that the cost of his salary is covered by the VW sponsorship of the show. Well for 18 months anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

And sponsorship and advertising.

RTE made a big point of stating that the cost of his salary is covered by the VW sponsorship of the show. Well for 18 months anyway.

I look forward to seeing proof of that. Which will be never.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Can't believe ye're still at it......:rolleyes:

Isn't Mooney still on the payroll, and most of his staff too by the looks of it. Plus Ray's team from Today FM. That's gotta be some deal from VW.

And sponsorship and advertising.

That bit in bold is quite important, it indicates that there was something else that was used for the wage bill. Now what was it again.....oh yeah, licence fee.

Isn't Mooney still on the payroll, and most of his staff too by the looks of it. Plus Ray's team from Today FM. That's gotta be some deal from VW.

That bit in bold is quite important, it indicates that there was something else that was used for the wage bill. Now what was it again.....oh yeah, licence fee.

I agree re Mooney and yes Darcy has a bloated staff on decent contracts no doubt that aren't covered by VW.

But if he does tv work as well that is covered by the contract it will be better value for money............not great, better.

D'arcy is worth every cent of the advertising money and sponsorship money. Certainly wouldn't complaning about my licence fee going towards his show - which it isn't.

How did Today FM afford D'arcy...considering he took a pay cut to come back to RTE?

How did Today FM afford D'arcy...considering he took a pay cut to come back to RTE?

You would have to ask their financial director.

You would have to ask their financial director.

Do you believe, as a private company, Today FM were making a loss on Ray D'arcy?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

RTE never mentioned Rays wifes' salary or Wills or any other additional costs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement