Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Porridge, Ray's recipe...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Straight in with a rare disease. He's definitely after Joe Duffy's job.

And then on to porridge.

Good luck.

A tip for you, Ray, if you're reading.

When you attempt a pun, if it's any good, you don't have to explain it 3 or 4 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭amlinopta

National Porridge Week looming, time to stock up with cinnamon. Painful listening, he's like a broken record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Joe Duffy.

Can that one not Google big smarties ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭amlinopta

National Porridge Week looming, time to stock up with cinnamon. Painful listening, he's like a broken record.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Both D'Arcy and FM104's Breakfast Show are running Jamie Heaslip rapping to Nelly's "Hot in Herre" promos at the moment. All parties involved should be sent to Guantanamo Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

sligojoek wrote: »
    A tip for you, Ray, if you're reading.

When you attempt a pun, if it's any good, you don't have to explain it 3 or 4 times.

Maybe he's angling for a Funny Fryday slot too?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Did anyone feel yer man McCabe has a bit of an attitude,bit aggressive in his
    demeanour ?

Could be just me.

Pat McCabe on the D'arcy show today.

Did anyone feel yer man McCabe has a bit of an attitude,bit aggressive in his
    demeanour ?

Could be just me.

Pat McCabe on the D'arcy show today.

He used to drink in my local when he lived in Sligo. . Let's just say no-one was queueing up to have pints with him. Dermot Healy, on the other hand, was a pleasure to have a pint with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭mountain

I thought that Pat was good, under the circumstances,

Ray got the timing of when he wrote The butcher boy wrong, he suggested that the last time he interviewed Pat, that Pat may of been in "bad form",
    He had to ask Pat where he grew up, and when Pat said that He liked buying Vinyl, Ray asked "do you have something to play them on, or do you just collect them?"...

This after Ray had proudly announced that He had spent the past few days researching about Pat...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I had not listened to Ray in ages because he just usually puts me in bad form and the tone of the show just seems to get me down.

I was out and about in meetings today and I was in a part of the country where the reception for Newstalk and Today FM was brutal so I left Ray on for maybe 10 minutes. In this time he spoke of porridge, sugar and then had overweight people on talking about how they changed their diets and started exercising.

So basically, the same things that were boring me when he was on Today FM about 5 years ago.

BPKS wrote: »
    I had not listened to Ray in ages because he just usually puts me in bad form and the tone of the show just seems to get me down.

I was out and about in meetings today and I was in a part of the country where the reception for Newstalk and Today FM was brutal so I left Ray on for maybe 10 minutes. In this time he spoke of porridge, sugar and then had overweight people on talking about how they changed their diets and started exercising.

So basically, the same things that were boring me when he was on Today FM about 5 years ago.

Were you up this way? I work a lot in mountainy areas near Benbulben. A lot of the time I'm just 5 or 6 miles from the Truskmore transmitter but 3 of those miles are solid rock. I'm lucky to get Radio 1 some days

mountain wrote: »
    I thought that Pat was good, under the circumstances,

Ray got the timing of when he wrote The butcher boy wrong, he suggested that the last time he interviewed Pat, that Pat may of been in "bad form",
    He had to ask Pat where he grew up, and when Pat said that He liked buying Vinyl, Ray asked "do you have something to play them on, or do you just collect them?"...

This after Ray had proudly announced that He had spent the past few days researching about Pat...

Pat likes his music. I was at his 50th birthday. He put on a great show. The band was the late Bap Kennedy (Brian's brother). They were joined for the last hour by Barry Devlin , Jim Lockhart, Paddy Goodwin and Shane McGowan. They blew the roof off the place.

BPKS wrote: »
    That's exactly how I feel about it.

I usually listen to radio at my work computer, with my earphones in. I make it a priority to switch to another station before we get to the 'Tanks Eileen, Tank you vury much', which is invariably followed by some dismally depressing item. Ray literally gives voice to the '3 o'clock slump'.

That's exactly how I feel about it.

I usually listen to radio at my work computer, with my earphones in. I make it a priority to switch to another station before we get to the 'Tanks Eileen, Tank you vury much', which is invariably followed by some dismally depressing item. Ray literally gives voice to the '3 o'clock slump'.

It's "Tanks Ooileen,Tank u very mooch"

And now over to the news with "Paaadder O' Coulean". And worse Priomh Skealta na Nooocta"

Learn how to pronounce it, man.

For 500k make a forking effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

For 500k make a forking effort.

Ray has made an effort with the Gaeilge since coming back to RTE - it's noticeable. And if he's supposed to be representative of the common man, well his standard of Irish is as good as mine and I dare say most of the population at large.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    well his standard of Irish is as good as mine and I dare say most of the population at large.

Well that's fair enough, but most of us aren't broadcasting on the national broadcaster for 90 minutes a day. It takes no more than one minute to grasp the pronunciation of a person's name.

If the Queen of England could manage a passable pronunciation, I don't understand why Ray D'arcy cannot.

Ray has made an effort with the Gaeilge since coming back to RTE - it's noticeable. And if he's supposed to be representative of the common man, well his standard of Irish is as good as mine and I dare say most of the population at large.

Ok

Short lesson... it's Peadhar O Coulean not Padder

It's Priomh Shcèaltha na Nuachta. Not Skaelta

Now if the guy hasn't learned that, it ain't much of an effort, my friend.

Please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I'm kind of impressed he can make a radio show so boring. I only hear it if I'm in a customers car but christ could he be anymore dull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭goochy

Along with Shane Coleman and Chris donaghue the most dull men on radio

goochy wrote: »
    Along with Shane Coleman and Chris donaghue the most dull men on radio
    Don't get to hear much of Coleman these days, as I avoid NT Breakfast; but Donoghue is not at all a bad choice as a political editor.

He seems to be able to get the inside track on internal political machinations (a fairly basic requirement for pol corrs, although bizarrely unusual) as well as being able to broadcast that information cogently and coherently.

I was never a fan of his during his NT Drive stint, but I think he makes an excellent political editor.

after his treatment of George I have no respect for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Another day, another porridge discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Ok

Short lesson... it's Peadhar O Coulean not Padder

It's Priomh Shcèaltha na Nuachta. Not Skaelta

Now if the guy hasn't learned that, it ain't much of an effort, my friend.

Please!!

Bit pointless discussing pronunciation in text - doesn't really work. Anyway what about regional variations and accents. Criticising people for how they say certain words is usually needless.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭kazamo

What a wonderful topic for 4.15pm in the afternoon.
    "My girlfriend doesn't climax when I penetrate"

Bit pointless discussing pronunciation in text - doesn't really work. Anyway what about regional variations and accents. Criticising people for how they say certain words is usually needless.
    I'm usually allergic to grammar and linguistic policing, but no, it isn't too much for *a well-paid professional broadcaster* to correctly pronounce something he has to say every working day.

Compare Ray's pronunciation to Imelda May, who, according to herself, has barely a word of Irish. She did a (not perfect but, under the circumstances) really good rendition of our national anthem at the McGregor/Mayweather fight. Why? Because she put in a major effort to get it right. She did the whole country proud, I think.

Again, I don't think anyone is looking down their noses at people who are attempting to speak the language and making natural errors. It's about professional broadcasting and knowing how to pronounce the same string of words you say almost every day.

Darcy gets all embarrassed when sex therapist suggests getting sex toys from dealz - and he claims hes no longer a catholic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

goochy wrote: »
    Darcy gets all embarrassed when sex therapist suggests getting sex toys from dealz - and he claims hes no longer a catholic

He was the one who brought the topic up! Then he started backtracking when she suggested they get some samples.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't agree there Mr B.

There is a right way and a wrong way to say things.

My examples are so simple and erudite, even a fool could understand.

Throwing in regional variations is.....well... taking the piss.

It's not rocket science Mr B, it's totally simple and clear.

Soz lad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement