Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,489 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I did not say anything about what I believe taxes are spent on.

Get over yourself. And the "he" to whom you refer, is a she, Moya Doherty.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ray-darcy-rte-salary-1907437-Jan2015/

I looked up the issue, about from what funding the radio presenters are paid, and I saw some items that suggest that the salaries paid to the presenters, come from advertising and sponsorship, rather than through the licence fee.

If you can reply with items that suggest the opposite, please do, perhaps by using your method of pulling one out of your hole.

I merely asked why there wasn't any media or charity campaign encouraging those who didn't pay their water charges to contribute towards homelessness.

A perfectly legitimate observation in view of the media references to suggest that people getting refunds might donate them to charities.

Secondly. When any Rte presenter getting huge money sets up their own studios, pays for the running/heAting/ set up/ advertising/ back up / transmission an building costs, I will then accept that they can get whatever salary the can command, until then the stupid theory that sponsorship and ad revenue justify the fees doesn't stand up.

The Taxpayer is entitled to criticise these fees as they,the taxpayers, provide the platform for their output.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

I did not say anything about what I believe taxes are spent on.

Get over yourself. And the "he" to whom you refer, is a she, Moya Doherty.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ray-darcy-rte-salary-1907437-Jan2015/

I looked up the issue, about from what funding the radio presenters are paid, and I saw some items that suggest that the salaries paid to the presenters, come from advertising and sponsorship, rather than through the licence fee.

If you can reply with items that suggest the opposite, please do, perhaps by using your method of pulling one out of your hole.

Okey dokey, so simple question, do you accept that just maybe a fractional proportional amount of an annual licence fee payer is attributed to d’arcys ridiculous pay? Which was my point all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I merely asked why there wasn't any media or charity campaign encouraging those who didn't pay their water charges to contribute towards homelessness.

A perfectly legitimate observation in view of the media references to suggest that people getting refunds might donate them to charities.

Secondly. When any Rte presenter getting huge money sets up their own studios, pays for the running/heAting/ set up/ advertising/ back up / transmission an building costs, I will then accept that they can get whatever salary the can command, until then the stupid theory that sponsorship and ad revenue justify the fees doesn't stand up.

The Taxpayer is entitled to criticise these fees as they,the taxpayers, provide the platform for their output.

You did not merely ask that question. You made a snide remark suggesting that people who opposed water charges, were not really that concerned about ending homelessness. You negatively characterized the people who opposed water charges.

I did not state that the licence fee doesn't go towards radio presenters salaries. I looked it up, to find an item which would confirm, from where the money comes, that is used to pay their salaries.

I saw a number of items, that suggest that the radio presenters salaries are paid through money generated through sponsorship and advertising.

If you or anyone else is certain that it comes from the licence fee, provide an item, or a report, or an article, to confirm that.

sightband wrote: »
    Okey dokey, so simple question, do you accept that just maybe a fractional proportional amount of an annual licence fee payer is attributed to d’arcys ridiculous pay? Which was my point all along.

I don't know. I already stated that I looked up some items about salaries paid to radio presenters and didn't see anything that confirmed for definite that the licence fee goes towards their salaries.

I said that I saw a number of items that state that their salaries are funded through money generated from advertising and sponsorship, and I included links to those items.

The point I was making, is that people saying things like 'I pay Joe Duffy's salary' because of the licence fee, might not be exactly accurate, if the money to cover his salary, comes from advertising and sponsorship, as suggested, in the items I referenced, regarding Ray D'Arcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,489 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

You did not merely ask that question, you made a snide remark suggesting that people who opposed water charges, were not really that concerned about ending homelessness. You negatively characterized the people who opposed water charges.

I did not state that the licence fee doesn't go towards radio presenters salaries. I looked it up, to find an item which would confirm, from where the money comes, that is used to pay their salaries.

I saw a number of items, that suggest that the radio presenters salaries are paid through money generated through sponsorship and advertising.

If you or anyone else is certain that it comes from the licence fee, provide an item, or a report, or an article, to confirm that.

Your inference that I negatively characterised those opposed to water charges is erroneous.

I merely stated facts.

Now apologies but I'm not going off topic any further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Could we get someone to sponsor D'Arcy to stay at home instead of coming to work? If he's on around €400,000 a year, then that's €7,692 a week. So we need 7,692 people to give a euro a week to keep him off the airwaves, with his feet up at home. I'll happily do that and I'll take that over listening to him. Actually I never really listen to him, or Tubridy or Joe Duffy, but whenever I catch snippets of them, I am just amazed that they are allowed on the airwaves given that they are so ****e... But hey, the media in general is dumbed down, Donald Trump is president...it's a great world if you are on the gravy train :)

Your inference that I negatively characterised those opposed to water charges is erroneous.

I merely stated facts.

Now apologies but I'm not going off topic any further.

You certainly did negatively characterize the people who opposed water charges.

You made this comment:

"The water protestors seemed to keep insisting that it wasn’t a “money issue” so I am a bit puzzled that none of the bullhorn brigade,or the media chaps suggested that those who didn’t pay their charges donate what they should have paid to the homeless charities they all seem to be so concerned about".

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105612830&postcount=7561

If you were genuinely stating that the people you referenced, are concerned about homelessness, you wouldn't have phrased it, in such a way, to suggest the opposite, where you said, sarcastically, that:

"homeless charities they all seem to be so concerned about".

If you were genuine in suggesting that they were concerned about homelessness, and if you weren't trying to negatively characterize people who opposed water charges, you would have said something like this:

"It's a very good idea, that might go some way towards alleviating the serious problem of homelessness, and perhaps those that objected to water charges, and the establishment of Irish Water - on a point of principle, because people are already charged for water - could donate an equivalent amount of money, to the fund - an amount of money equal to the amount of money that they were charged by Irish Water, but did not pay, on a point of principle."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Leaving Darcy'd weaknesses aside for a minute, he's just following the RTE agenda. Every programme from Ryan Tubridy till Drivetime has one if not two misery sections. Ronan Collins and John Creedon are like oasiseseses.

That's actually an excellent point. I wonder has Paul Murphy been calling for people to donate this money to charity. It would be hugely hypocritical for the left to call for the water refunds to be given to charity, given that it was the "burden" of having to pay the charge in the first place that got them out on the street.

Not that the country is short of hypocrites by any means.

Have a look at the video of Stephen Donnelly from 25th March 2015, detailing that the money generated through charges would not have gone towards the upgrading of water systems, or the cost of water supply and treatment, as had been claimed by the public representatives of the 2011 - 2016 government.

He speaks very well, about the lies told by that government's representatives, about water charges.

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2015032500062#N6

https://beta.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2015-03-25/37/

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/(indexlookupdail)/20150325~KKK?opendocument#KKK00500

Get a room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

sligojoek wrote: »
    Get a room.

Or a Reddit. Scrolling through the last few pages of requotes on this thread is almost a boring as the first ten minutes of a D'Arcy programme.

Or a Reddit. Scrolling through the last few pages of requotes on this thread is almost a boring as the first ten minutes of a D'Arcy programme.

Is this forum only open to people who wish to make smart assed comments about Ray D'arcy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

^
    It might be more readable if SOME people stopped quoting everything.
    I don't have a clue what was said in the last few pages tbh because the wall of text was hurting my eyes.
    I just scroll past the repeat offenders until I spot a concise post.

^
    It might be more readable if SOME people stopped quoting everything.
    I don't have a clue what was said in the last few pages tbh because the wall of text was hurting my eyes.
    I just scroll past the repeat offenders until I spot a concise post.

In other words, you aren't bothered to read the posts, because if you did, you would realise that I posted replies to a smart assed comment that was made about people who opposed water charges, and that my replies included videos and articles outlining why those people opposed water charges, as well as items which back up the concern those people have, about the intention behind the bringing in of water charges, and the setting up Irish Water, being, to privatize water.

I also included these links, in response to someone, who didn't seem to think that privatization of water, was the intention behind the implementation of water charges, and the establishment of Irish Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Sad to hear the news that Ray D'arcy Snr has passed away

Ray had him the odd time on his Today FM show. Sounded like a really nice man!

May he RIP.

I'm no fan of Ray's but I wouldn't wish a Christmas death on any family. I've been there twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

In the middle of the biggest housing crisis in the city, where young families cant rent in the city never mind buy a house.
    And if you criticise him, you're a "begrudger". The man lives in a different world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

So you're bitter then Rory are you?
    He could have just said that he watched it and thought that it was good. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

So you're bitter then Rory are you?
    He could have just said that he watched it and thought that it was good. ?

Donohue asking all the right questions so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

May he RIP.

I'm no fan of Ray's but I wouldn't wish a Christmas death on any family. I've been there twice.

Yep been there once. It's bad enough at any time but at Christmas is worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭goochy

not a fan of Donohue - but having seen her on Operation transformation I can see why they say RTE is top heavy with staff . !!

Rory really is a nasty piece of work - not the least bit grateful to Brendan and no encouragement to his replacement and the show - and believe me I am no fan of Brendan or Mrs. Browns boys- but Rorys done well from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

goochy wrote: »
    Rory really is a nasty piece of work - not the least bit grateful to Brendan and no encouragement to his replacement and the show - and believe me I am no fan of Brendan or Mrs. Browns boys- but Rorys done well from it.

Thought the exact same. I hate Mrs Brown's Boys but there is no doubt it is popular and Rory Cowan should be on his hands and knees been thankful for the opportunity Brendan gave him

What was wrong with him today? Did he mention he used to work for EMI?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

What was wrong with him today? Did he mention he used to work for EMI?

Vile creature ...to quote himself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

There's no honour among Thespians these days.

thespian ? hes not thespian - he didn't even have to act. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I love the self service kiosks in the banks, generally I am in and out in minutes.

Pumping gas.

Last time I looked it was called petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The modern world and they have to make it more complicated than it already is to go for as piss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement