Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Red Fred

In fairness, I think he was just observing, that he felt that what the electrician did, that he might have been able to do himself, but just to be safe, he felt it better to get someone qualified to do it

Maybe he should apply the same train of thought to his show and employ a qualified button presser!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Have to admire the work horse burger puts into his posts, supporting links videos etc great job.whenever I have a spare 4 hours I'll go back and read one

• Registered Users Posts: 19,488 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Have to admire the work horse burger puts into his posts, supporting links videos etc great job.whenever I have a spare 4 hours I'll go back and read one

I doubt if four hours would adequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

You onow what they say about if you wait long enough, you will recieve your just deserts
    Today was one of those days, Fr Ray showed his true colours, his total lack of self awareness was revealed. I know he has cocked up so many times before, but has he ever managed to do it, so spectacularly, at the top of the show, and like his friend the elctrician, in about 2 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Horseburger. I'd love to have the amount of spare time, that you seem to have, to read all that. Are you trying to say Ray earns less than the electrician?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Ah come on now. Who or where does it say that?

https://safeelectric.ie/

"You should ALWAYS use a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) to carry out electrical work in your home and ask for a Completion Certificate after the work is complete."

And whatever about having somebody who knows their sh1t, but just is not a qualified electrician, letting Ray D'Arcy (a man who can push the right button to start the sig tune) at the electrics is a whole other world of f**king crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Mary Wilson asked: "So, a figure of €630,000, of €495,00 or €300,000, that’s the figure to fix on today? And is that a good deal for RTÉ?”

The irony of this from Mary Wilson. She gets paid a six figure sum as well but made sure to have the level of her question just a little high so as not to include the money wasted on her as well. Because it is wasted. She is dreadful. Almost as bad as D'Arcy.

RTE should be rewarding some of their second tier presenters, because they do have talent. Or get that guy Shane Beatty from KFM. He would do ten times the job Mary Wilson does, on a third of the wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

https://safeelectric.ie/

"You should ALWAYS use a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) to carry out electrical work in your home and ask for a Completion Certificate after the work is complete."

And whatever about having somebody who knows their sh1t, but just is not a qualified electrician, letting Ray D'Arcy (a man who can push the right button to start the sig tune) at the electrics is a whole other world of f**king crazy.

I regularly go into a bathroom with the view to tiling it. One of the first things I'll say to the customer is, "That shaving light, shower unit, etc. has to go and be refitted when I'm done.". Most of the time they'll say that it's only a couple of wires and it's very simple and expect me to do it. I refuse all the time. I wouldn't go near the electrics in my own house let alone someone else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Maybe I'm going soft, but in fairness to D'Arcy it was pretty obvious to me that he was taking the piss out of himself by saying he could have done the work himself.
    He's made a lot worse unintentional boo boos in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

In other words:

'I have nothing worthwhile to contribute to the discussion, so I'll try and be absolutely hilarious instead'.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Horseburger. I'd love to have the amount of spare time, that you seem to have, to read all that. Are you trying to say Ray earns less than the electrician?

No I did not say that he earns less than the electrician. I just stated that I think his comment was more about the very short length of time the repair work took.

I have not noticed one item being referenced to back up assertions made in this thread about Ray D'Arcy's salary, to confirm if, as asserted, Ray D'Arcy is paid through the licence fee.

A quick search on google for "Ray D'Arcy salary" and "RTE radio presenter salary" includes the item in the Irish Times, that I included in my earlier post, and the items in the Journal, items which discuss his salary, and the item on Broadsheet, about the 2013 discussion on the RTE Drivetime programme discussing the salaries of RTE radio presenters.

If people posting in this forum have any details to back up their repeated assertions that the licence fee goes towards Ray D'Arcy's salary, why don't they include items in their posts, to back up their claims?

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/ray-d-arcy-s-salary-covered-by-sponsorship-rt%C3%A9-chair-says-1.2082698

http://www.thejournal.ie/ray-darcy-rte-salary-1907437-Jan2015/

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/03/28/rte-on-rtes-top-ten-earners/

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm going soft, but in fairness to D'Arcy it was pretty obvious to me that he was taking the piss out of himself by saying he could have done the work himself.
    He's made a lot worse unintentional boo boos in the past.

Indeed, that's all it was.

He wasn't criticizing the electrician, as has been suggested by others in this thread.

He didn't say it wasn't worth getting the electrician to do the repair work. He just observed, that he could see what the electrician did to fix the problem, and he noted how quickly the repair work was done.

DO NOT for one second believe the quoted sponsorship figures - these are not the real figures. The real figures are much lower than that. It is for reasons of "commercial sensitivity" (a phrase much-loved in RTE) that the actual figures are not published. The advertised figures (suggested cost/value) v. the realised figures (amount paid) are very different.

I've posted on this frequently in the Liveline Thread. For reference I have in a former life been in a position where I negotiated/bought sponsorships on RTE TV & Radio (amongst others).[/QUOTE]

What I have asked is, are there any items that confirm whether or not Ray D'Arcy's salary comes from the licence fee, as claimed by numerous posters in this forum?

The articles I included as links in my earlier posts, include quotes that suggest that the salaries received by presenters like Joe Duffy and Ray D'Arcy, come from money generated through advertising and sponsorship, as opposed to the licence fee.

Do you know if that is the case, or does the licence fee go towards the salaries of the various TV and Radio presenters?

Posters who claim that the licence fee goes towards the salaries of TV and Radio presenters, have not included items to back up their statements.

DO NOT for one second believe the quoted sponsorship figures - these are not the real figures. The real figures are much lower than that. It is for reasons of "commercial sensitivity" (a phrase much-loved in RTE) that the actual figures are not published. The advertised figures (suggested cost/value) v. the realised figures (amount paid) are very different.
    C
    I've posted on this frequently in the Liveline Thread. For reference I have in a former life been in a position where I negotiated/bought sponsorships on RTE TV & Radio (amongst others).

What I have asked is, are there any items that confirm whether or not Ray D'Arcy's salary comes from the licence fee, as claimed by numerous posters in this forum?

The articles I included as links in my earlier posts, include quotes that suggest that the salaries received by presenters like Joe Duffy and Ray D'Arcy, come from money generated through advertising and sponsorship, as opposed to the licence fee.

Do you know if that is the case, or does the licence fee go towards the salaries of the various TV and Radio presenters?

Posters who claim that the licence fee goes towards the salaries of TV and Radio presenters, have not included items to back up their statements.[/QUOTE]

All this is irrelevant- totally irrelevant.

The point is that these presenters are grossly overpaid, irrespective of where the money comes from.
    Listenership figures will not deviate on R1 with any kind of competent presenter.
    That’s not the issue, let’s put that rubbish to bed right now.

The huge salaries these people got in the past have been whittled down, the amounts were mad, pure mad for the audience footprint and commercial reality.

Advertising comes into RTE, the less that goes on staff costs the more the company gains, ergo less chance of them bleating for more licence fee increases.

End. Of. Story.

All this is irrelevant- totally irrelevant.

The point is that these presenters are grossly overpaid, irrespective of where the money comes from.
    Listenership figures will not deviate on R1 with any kind of competent presenter.
    That’s not the issue, let’s put that rubbish to bed right now.

The huge salaries these people got in the past have been whittled down, the amounts were mad, pure mad for the audience footprint and commercial reality.

Advertising comes into RTE, the less that goes on staff costs the more the company gains, ergo less chance of them bleating for more licence fee increases.

End. Of. Story.

It is not irrelevant to ask if the salaries are paid through the licence fee, as claimed by posters in this forum, and then to ask, if people making that claim can back up their assertions.

If the salaries are not paid through the licence fee, then the comments made in this forum, by posters saying things like 'we pay Joe Duffy's salary', are not accurate.

It is not irrelevant to ask if the salaries are paid through the licence fee, as claimed by posters in this forum, and then to ask, if people making that claim can back up their assertions.

If the salaries are not paid through the licence fee, then the comments made in this forum by posters saying things like 'we pay Joe Duffy's salary', are not accurate.

Advertising and sponsorship and licence fees are all the revenue streams for RTE.

Let’s stop splitting hairs as to actually where those income streams are disbursed.

It’s not relevant.

Advertising and sponsorship and licence fees are all the revenue streams for RTE.

Let’s stop splitting hairs as to actually where those income streams are disbursed.

It’s not relevant.

It very much is relevant, because if people say things like 'we pay Ray D'Arcy's salary', they could be incorrect, if his salary comes from advertising and sponsorship, rather than from the licence fee.

It very much is relevant, because if people say things like 'we pay Ray D'Arcy's salary', they could be incorrect, if his salary comes from advertising and sponsorship, rather than from the licence fee.

Tell me who provides the vehicle,the bricks and mortar, the network, the technology, the staff, the premises which facilitates Mr D’Arcy getting remunerated to the extent he does?

Who funds/ funded the day to day running of the company he works for.

Does that all come from advertising and sponsorship?

Tell me who provides the vehicle,the bricks and mortar, the network, the technology, the staff, the premises which facilitates Mr D’Arcy getting remunerated to the extent he does?

Who funds/ funded the day to day running of the company he works for.

Does that all come from advertising and sponsorship?

Would you be happy for the licence fee to go towards "day to day running of the company" and "the vehicle, the bricks and mortar, the network, the technology, the staff, the premises", if his salary comes from advertising and sponsorship?

Would you be happy for the licence fee to go towards "day to day running of the company" and "the vehicle, the bricks and mortar, the network, the technology, the staff, the premises", if his salary comes from advertising and sponsorship?

Let’s drill down this a bit more shall we?

Educate me, if you would, who negotiates Mr Darcy’s salary, who decides the level of remuneration.?.

Is it the advertisers and sponsorship people?.

You see, I see RTE and a semi state commercial and all revenues accrued surely go into the management and running of that entity.

Am I wrong in that, I’m wondering.

Do the advertisers for on Dublin Bus for instance pay the drivers or does the fare revenue and all that provide the running of the company along with taxpayer subsidy?

Let’s drill down this a bit more shall we?

Educate me, if you would, who negotiates Mr Darcy’s salary, who decides the level of remuneration.?.

Is it the advertisers and sponsorship people?.

You see, I see RTE and a semi state commercial and all revenues accrued surely go into the management and running of that entity.

Am I wrong in that, I’m wondering.

Do the advertisers for on Dublin Bus for instance pay the drivers or does the fare revenue and all that provide the running of the company along with taxpayer subsidy?

Just answer the question I asked you, which was:

Would you be happy for the licence fee to go towards "the day to day running of the company" and "the vehicle, the bricks and mortar, the network, the technology, the staff, the premises", if his salary comes from advertising and sponsorship?

If ever Ray D'Arcy stops presenting the show, and someone else presents a show between 3pm and 4.30pm, someone who doesn't get the salary Ray D'Arcy gets, would you still be unhappy about the idea of the licence fee going towards the salary of any radio or TV presenter?

• Advertisement

Just answer the question I asked you, which was:

Would you be happy for the licence fee to go towards "the day to day running of the company" and "the vehicle, the bricks and mortar, the network, the technology, the staff, the premises", if his salary comes from advertising and sponsorship?

If ever Ray D'Arcy stops presenting the show, and someone else presents a show between 3pm and 4.30pm, someone who doesn't get the salary Ray D'Arcy gets, would you still be unhappy about the idea of the licence fee going towards the salary of any radio or TV presenter?

I think I answered the question.

I asked for information on how all this is put together.

What I would be ‘happy’ about is realistic salaries based on affordability of the whole corporate entity and based on total revenues generated by the company.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I always find these ring-fencing and cash tracing arguments odd and a little bit nonsensical.

Throw a cup of water into a lake and then try and say, "that cup of water is not to be used for swimming in. The rest of the water in the lake can be used for swimming in, but not that cup of water I threw in."

It's all the same once the money goes in to an organisation like RTE. It'll be flitted away on exorbitant salaries that have no basis in commercial reality or it'll be used to make sure a bowl of the soup in the canteen is a nice round €1 so as not to upset these millionaire superstars too much.

If it isn't used for those things, it'll be used to keep a whole office block full of staff who literally sit about doing nothing all day in the gravy. Oh sorry, they're invaluable administrators. Thousands of them.

I always find these ring-fencing and cash tracing arguments odd and a little bit nonsensical.

Throw a cup of water into a lake and then try and say, "that cup of water is not to be used for swimming in. The rest of the water in the lake can be used for swimming in, but not that cup of water I threw in."

It's all the same once the money goes in to an organisation like RTE. It'll be flitted away on exorbitant salaries that have no basis in commercial reality or it'll be used to make sure a bowl of the soup in the canteen is a nice round €1 so as not to upset these millionaire superstars too much.

If it isn't used for those things, it'll be used to keep a whole office block full of staff who literally sit about doing nothing all day in the gravy. Oh sorry, they're invaluable administrators. Thousands of them.

Correct, well apart from the supposition that thousands are sitting around doing nothing.Bit of hyperbole there I think.

This business of saying it's not the license fee money it's the ad and sponsorship money which pays these people such unrealistic salaries is quite frankly foolish.

The station did not 'fall down' when Pat Kenny left, when Dobbo moved to radio, when Michael o Mhuirceartaig retired,when Cathal macCoille retired.

There are adequate replacements there as has been proved.

This red herring of 'there will be an exodus of RTE 'stars' if wages are dropped has been debunked by the experience of the last 7 or 8 years.

The unravelling of the past excess is slowly being washed out of the system .

I would predict huge opposition to any increase in any 'licence fee' no matter what was it might be dressed up as

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Mod note

Enough of the comments towards each other please, if people are making comments and backing them up that is fine.

Also watch the abuse level towards the presenter

thanks.

If that is the case, it suggests that the people who argue that their licence fee goes towards Ray D'Arcy's salary, cannot be certain, how their fee is being used.

They might feel happier if the fee goes towards the cost of providing a healthy nutritious bowl of soup, and might feel happy that the licence fee goes towards the National Symphony and National Concert Orchestras.

http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-orchestras-3689456-Nov2017/

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/about/rte-annual-report-2016.pdf
    I think I answered the question.

I asked for information on how all this is put together.

What I would be ‘happy’ about is realistic salaries based on affordability of the whole corporate entity and based on total revenues generated by the company.

No, you did not answer my question. You answered what you wanted to answer, not what I asked you.

I asked you if you would prefer if the licence fee did not go towards the salaries of radio and TV presenters, but went towards other areas that are related to - in your words - "the day to day running of the company".

If that is the case, it suggests that the people who argue that their licence fee goes towards Ray D'Arcy's salary, cannot be certain, how their fee is being used.

They might feel happier if the fee goes towards the cost of providing a healthy nutritious bowl of soup, and might feel happy that the licence fee goes towards the National Symphony and National Concert Orchestras.

http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-orchestras-3689456-Nov2017/

https://static.rasset.ie/documents/about/rte-annual-report-2016.pdf

No, you did not answer my question. You answered what you wanted to answer, not what I asked you.

I asked you if you would prefer if the licence fee did not go towards the salaries of radio and TV presenters, but went towards other areas that are related to - in your words - "the day to day running of the company".

Just re read the last two lines of the post you quoted above.

Just re read the last two lines of the post you quoted above.

You have not answered the specific question that I asked you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Did Darcy just say 'three billboards outside some place in America'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Ray: you're the oldest in your family.
    Guest: no I'm the youngest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

after yesterdays clanger, about how much electricians have the cheek to charge a clever clogs, who could have done it himself, like Fr Ray , today, he further seperates himself from the ordinary people. He doesnt like crisp sandwichs , and he prefers Gormet crisps, not your common or garden cheese or onion . he is truely , a legend in his own lifetime

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement