Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

The mother of an 11 year old child text in today saying even her child was sick of his anti-church crusade

Did D'Arcy read out that text on air?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

jelutong wrote: »

A kid said it, so he probably thought it was hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Wakey wakey Raymond. Time to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Raining cats and dogs Ray.

That wind would cut the balls off a brass monkey Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There's a brass monkey outside lookin for a welding rod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

My god, I just had to turn this off. The most inane load of absolutely horsesh1t I've ever heard. Words for the weather, Ray's definition of Spring. If he was sitting beside me in the dentist's I'd leave, how in God's name do the Irish people listen to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

My god, I just had to turn this off. The most inane load of absolutely horsesh1t I've ever heard. Words for the weather, Ray's definition of Spring. If he was sitting beside me in the dentist's I'd leave, how in God's name do the Irish people listen to this?

At least it's Irish crap. Better than British or American crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

BarryD2 wrote: »
    At least it's Irish crap. Better than British or American crap.

Ya think. At least we're not paying for those !:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

sligojoek wrote: »
    There's a brass monkey outside lookin for a welding rod

He's on the ball sotospeak.

• Advertisement

Is there anything that you can take to get over the depression of listening to Ray D'Arcy?

You can take yourself over to the radio,and switch stations...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

You can take yourself over to the radio,and switch stations...

Ah, but if they didn't listen to it, they couldn't - for example - say really useful things like, that Ray D'Arcy makes them "feel a bit more intelligent".

A poster named goochy remarked "at least he makes us all feel a bit more intelligent".

By using the phrase "us all" goochy seems to imply that he or she, knows, for certain, the level of intelligence, of the other posters, who post in the thread.

Otherwise, how could goochy claim that Ray D'Arcy makes "us all" - other people - "feel a bit more intelligent".

How can goochy speak on behalf of other posters, with regard to their level of intelligence?

here is the link to goochy's insightful remark:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106010782&postcount=7799

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

He hasn't gone away you know..

He hasn't gone away you know..

Did you give the Monster Munch crisp/corn snack burger recipe a go?

Might I just add, that in case anyone suggests the topic of crisps is off topic, that Ray D'Arcy discussed crisp sandwiches on the show recently, in the interview with Lisa McInerney.

Only one link. I'm disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ah, but if they didn't listen to it, they couldn't - for example - say really useful things like, that Ray D'Arcy makes them feel "more intelligent".

A poster named goochy remarked "at least he makes us all feel a bit more intelligent".

By using the phrase "us all" goochy seems to imply that he or she, knows, for certain, the level of intelligence, of the other posters, who post in the thread.

Otherwise, how could goochy claim that Ray D'Arcy makes "us all" - other people - "feel a bit more intelligent".

How can goochy speak on behalf of other posters, with regard to their level of intelligence?

here is the link to goochy's insightful remark:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106010782&postcount=7799

He seems to be using “us all” colloquially in so far as he refers to those ( and they are many) on this thread who form the opinion that the content, subject matter and presentation style of Mr Darcy’s show is set at what might be called in broadcasting terms , a low threshold.

In that respect I would tend to concur with his views,notwithstanding the attraction that that particular output might have for some.

He is using “us all” colloquially in so far as he refers to those ( and they are many) on this thread who form the opinion that the content, subject matter and presentation style of Mr Darcy’s show is set at what might be called in broadcasting terms , a low threshold.

In that respect I would tend to concur with his views,notwithstanding the attraction that that particular output might have for some.

No Brendan,

goochy said "At least he makes us all feel a bit more intelligent".

goochy is assuming, that other people referenced, in the phrase "us all", do not have a certain level of intelligence.

If goochy thought "us all" were already more intelligent, the words, "feel more intelligent", would not have been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

No Brendan,

goochy said "At least he makes us all feel a bit more intelligent".

goochy is assuming, that other people referenced, in the phrase "us all", do not have a certain level of intelligence.

If goochy thought "us all" were already more intelligent, the words, "feel more intelligent", would not have been used.

We may have to wait for the man himself to give a considered decision as to how his post should be interpreted.

I keenly anticipate positive affirmation for my interpretation of his very incisive post.

We may have to wait for the man himself to give a considered decision as to how his post should be interpreted.

I keenly anticipate positive affirmation for my interpretation of his very incisive post.

if you wanted to insult someone, you might say to them: "at least it made you feel a bit more intelligent", in other words, 'it made you feel more intelligent than you are'.

If you said that to someone, what you would really be saying to them, is, that you don't think they are very intelligent. The use of the words, "feel more intelligent", is central to the comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

• Advertisement

sightband wrote: »
    Fairly damning assessment of D’Arcy in this article. Rightly so.

This is basically what I said on the last page. Rattling on about absolute nonsense for fifteen minutes. This guy is on a lot of money to miss buttons and talk about crisp sandwiches.

RTE, please bring back Derek Mooney. He'll be so appreciative of the job after his three years in the wilderness (pun intended) that he'll be a joy to listen to. Like he was when he first started presenting.

This is basically what I said on the last page. Rattling on about absolute nonsense for fifteen minutes. This guy is on a lot of money to miss buttons and talk about crisp sandwiches.

RTE, please bring back Derek Mooney. He'll be so appreciative of the job after his three years in the wilderness (pun intended) that he'll be a joy to listen to. Like he was when he first started presenting.

There were people who complained about Derek Mooney as well.

The following boards.ie discussion, about Derek Mooney, indicates that there are people who will find fault with him, every bit as much, as people, find fault with Ray D'Arcy:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057774285

In the above discussion, a boards.ie poster, named dxhound2005, stated the following, in response to another poster, PeterTheNinth who suggested bringing Derek Mooney back to present an afternoon show:

"They brought D'Arcy back at great expense to stop the rot Mooney was causing to listenership figures and to reverse it in the afternoon slot. Which he has succeeded in doing. It would be a commercial disaster for RTE to do an about turn on that decision".

PeterTheNinth had stated:

"It's refreshing to hear Derek back on the radio. He's a great broadcaster, nice to listen to. He turned in to such a curmudgeon by the end of the other show though. Then he was two months out of the job and he suddenly realised what he missed. Seems he is back to the old happy, carefree Derek this morning. Maybe he appreciates the radio show a lot more now that he's been without it for so long. RTE should get rid of D'Arcy at the next possible opportunity and get Mooney back in on half the wages".

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104352050&postcount=12

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104351834&postcount=2

I find the suggestion, of paying Derek Mooney, half of what Ray D'Arcy gets, amusing.

How would such a suggestion play out?

Perhaps as follows?:

RTE's Head of Radio: "hi Derek, we want you back for the 3pm - 4.30pm slot, but we don't want to pay you, what we paid D'Arcy. How about half what he got?"

Derek: "So you think I'd do a better job at presenting that type of show, than Ray D'Arcy, and you want me to do the exact same job as him, but you don't want to pay me, the same as what you paid him?"

The following post, by a poster named bobbyss, is equally critical, of Ray D'Arcy and Derek Mooney. bobbyss opines that other presenters would be preferential.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104358625&postcount=39

bobbyss states:

"So Mooney has a new Sat morning programme? What is his new programme about anyway? Anything at all? Interview anybody they find hanging around the RTE canteen? TV? Celebrity? Isn't that what D'Arcy does? He is on a big salary also I believe. But would it make a particular difference if it was presented by Shay Byrne, Anne Doyle, or anyone else really for half or a third of the money? It wouldn't make any difference to me at all".

I like the way bobbyss states, that, if a presenter took over, who might be on a salary of half, or a third of what Ray D'Arcy gets, that it "wouldn't make any difference to me at all".

Might bobbyss be conceding, that there is no evidence to suggest, that the salaries of the various radio presenters, come from the licence fee?

The only way the salaries, of each presenter, "wouldn't make any difference" "at all" to bobbyss, would be, if the salaries came, from advertising and sponsorship.

Here is another boards.ie discussion, which includes numerous posts, which are critical of Derek Mooney.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056362203

In the second post, someone named later10, who is critical of Derek Mooney's presenting style, is quoted:

later10 stated "Personally I don't particularly enjoy Derek Mooney's style of hosting".

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73907754&postcount=2

And here is another discussion, started by someone, named syklops, who asks "Is Derek Mooney a bit thick?", and then says:

"I am listening to the guy talking about the Birthday Paradox, which is quite interesting. Now apart from the fact he keeps interrupting the guy, he is talking utter rubbish".

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056237401

It also includes a post by someone, named ChunkyLover 53, who suggests - without any evidence - that Derek Mooney was insulting someone, who was suffering from cancer.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665814&postcount=3

This item in the Mirror, written at the time Ray D'Arcy started presenting with RTE Radio I, in the afternoon, states:

"Radio saviour Ray D’Arcy faces an uphill battle to reverse a 32,000 listener slump in RTE One’s afternoon slot, industry figures revealed today. The former Today FM broadcaster is still finding his feet at Montrose after taking over from nature-obsessed Derek Mooney in February".

https://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/arts-culture-news/radio-saviour-ray-darcy-faces-5612977

I don't like the way this sentence in the Irish Mirror article, suggests that Derek Mooney's enthusiasm in covering wildlife, is an "obsession". Whenever I hear him covering wildlife, I sense his enthusiasm for the subject, for example, in this item he did on starling mumurations.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/mooney/programmes/2015/0102/669979-mooney-friday-january-2nd-2015/

No matter what RTE, or any other radio station does, someone will find fault with it.

In contrast to all the negativity, posted about Derek Mooney, here is a piece, in praise of him.

http://politico.ie/archive/natural-born-presenter

are-you-coming-to-bed-i-cant-this-is-important-13996626.png

sligojoek wrote: »
    are-you-coming-to-bed-i-cant-this-is-important-13996626.png

Well, the negative comments, about Derek Mooney, show, that not everyone agrees with you. You endorsed this post below:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104351834&postcount=2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Lord no! Derek is fine in the wildlife slot as he is now, just fine.

His afternoon slot was awash with Eurovision tat, innuendo, knickers and Brenda. Not to mention the regular pieces on alternative genders etc etc.

The same journalist, wasn't too enthused about Derek Mooney's style of presentation, either.

Perhaps RTE will have to get someone to present a show between 3pm and 4.30pm, who'll agree to be paid even less than Derek Mooney, which perhaps might be a quarter of what Ray D'Arcy gets paid - considering some people, on this forum, think that Derek Mooney, or other possible presenters, should get half, or a third, of what Ray D'Arcy gets paid?

That might be acceptable to the people that don't like either Ray D'Arcy or Derek Mooney?

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/radio-wide-eyed-wonder-as-derek-mooney-breaks-his-very-short-silence-1.2366171

I think there are a few separate things here.

1. Rudy Guede most likely did the murder.
    2. Amanda Knox is not a particularly likeable person.

If you look at Guede, like was said above, he had a history of break ins. So it's a hell of a coincidence that he happened to be in the jacks when somebody else broke in, as he tried to maintain. After the event, he fled to Germany, so this is also a sign of guilt. And when they got his skype conversation, he admitted he was on the scene and that Amanda was not there.

After the murder, Amanda did not act like a compassionate person would act. She seemed to be extremely self involved, in spite of the traumatic event that happened. And this selfish behaviour, which was unusual, was treated by the police as a sign of her being guilty. There certainly are a few issues with inconsistencies of the evidence, but like I said before I'm not sure there is a whole lot of the evidence that we can trust.

Her doing a speaking tour is just another indication of what a heartless, selfish b1atch that she is. She is enriching herself from the death of Meredith Kercher and this is shameful.

I think there are a few separate things here.

1. Rudy Guede most likely did the murder.
    2. Amanda Knox is not a particularly likeable person.

If you look at Guede, like was said above, he had a history of break ins. So it's a hell of a coincidence that he happened to be in the jacks when somebody else broke in, as he tried to maintain. After the event, he fled to Germany, so this is also a sign of guilt. And when they got his skype conversation, he admitted he was on the scene and that Amanda was not there.

After the murder, Amanda did not act like a compassionate person would act. She seemed to be extremely self involved, in spite of the traumatic event that happened. And this selfish behaviour, which was unusual, was treated by the police as a sign of her being guilty. There certainly are a few issues with inconsistencies of the evidence, but like I said before I'm not sure there is a whole lot of the evidence that we can trust.

Her doing a speaking tour is just another indication of what a heartless, selfish b1atch that she is. She is enriching herself from the death of Meredith Kercher and this is shameful.

Did you intend to post that in the thread about the show last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭applehunter

"Ray D’Arcy sounds cheesed off. On Tuesday, the day after the Government announces a referendum on the Eighth Amendment banning abortion"

This opening paragraph is typical of the Irish Times agenda. The Eighth Amendment states;

"The State acknowledges the right to life of the unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right."

We have abortion in Ireland.

• Advertisement

"Ray D’Arcy sounds cheesed off. On Tuesday, the day after the Government announces a referendum on the Eighth Amendment banning abortion"

This opening paragraph is typical of the Irish Times agenda. The Eighth Amendment states;

"The State acknowledges the right to life of the unborn and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right."

We have abortion in Ireland.

Breda O'Brien writes about the referendum in yesterday's paper.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/breda-o-brien-making-abortion-safe-legal-and-rare-is-impossible-1.3377862

I thought she made an interesting point in last week's paper, were she responded to a column by Fintan O'Toole, which discussed the diagnosis of Down Syndrome, and cases of abortion, in cases where there is a diagnosis of Down Syndrome.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/breda-o-brien-down-syndrome-abortion-debate-must-be-based-on-facts-1.3369905?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fopinion%2Fbreda-o-brien-down-syndrome-abortion-debate-must-be-based-on-facts

Here is the column by Fintan O'Toole:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-child-with-down-syndrome-will-be-face-of-anti-abortion-campaign-1.3364352?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fopinion%2Ffintan-o-toole-child-with-down-syndrome-will-be-face-of-anti-abortion-campaign-1.3364352

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement