Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

i have to say i strongly disagree concerning welfare fraud . abuse of the system is rampant and has become a way of life in most areas. The course of my work has me regularly in so called deprived areas, and i would believe that there is no story concerning fraud that is not potentially true. If you know how to play the system then there seems to be no end of money. No one asks too many questions , or wants to rock the boat . Its far easier to milk the poor fools who play by the rules and dont dare confront the crazy situation where people make a lifestyle choice to scam the system for every penny they can

One of the points, made by Bernadette Gorman, in the Sean O'Rourke interview, was that Leo Varadkar, in targeting people on social welfare, was completely ignoring fraud that occurs in other areas.

She spoke of "very visible wrong doing in other sectors of society going unchecked".

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21173446_15036_15-05-2017_

gamecube wrote: »
    If you enjoy Ray D'Arcy just enjoy him Horseburger

Don't take the jabs against him personally!

I don't, and I've been listening to him since he started on Today fm October 2000

Is he the perfect presenter? I would have to say no but I think that's why I like him

I don't take the insults made about Ray D'Arcy personally.

The issue is, that much of the insulting comments, are just insulting comments, and can be disproved. For example, recently, when he was interviewing Lisa McInerney, someone posted a comment here, suggesting that Ray D'Arcy was incorrect, in a question he had asked her.

A poster, named citykat, who posted while the interview was broadcast live, tried to suggest that Ray D'Arcy was wrong in suggesting, in the interview with Lisa McInerney, that she was the eldest child, of her mother.

During the interview, citykat posted on the forum, inaccurately suggesting, that Ray D'Arcy was incorrect in the question that he had asked.

citykat posted the following:

"Ray: you're the oldest in your family.
    Guest: no I'm the youngest... "

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105818072&postcount=7680
    citykat wrote: »
    Ray: you're the oldest in your family.
    Guest: no I'm the youngest...

Ray D'Arcy was technically correct, in saying that Lisa McInerney was the eldest child, of her mother. When Lisa McInerney said that she was the youngest child, she was referring to the household, where she was brought up by her grandparents, where her siblings were her aunts and uncles. She confirmed this, during the interview.

Posters, very often, don't let accuracy, get in the way of smart-assed-ness, in their efforts, to find fault with Ray D'Arcy.

Here are the links, to the audio, and the facebook video, of the Lisa McInerney interview. It is clear that Ray D'Arcy was correct in what he asked her.

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21300217_19148_12-01-2018_

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/programmes/2018/0112/932880-ray-darcy-friday-12-january-2018/

https://www.facebook.com/rteradio1/videos/1615981775126186/[/QUOTE]

Another example of silly comments, is where, a poster who frequents this thread, in what could only be, an attempt at smart assery, declared, in the discussion about the Ray D'Arcy tv show, that Ray D'Arcy had a "creepy head".
    sligojoek wrote: »
    The creepy head on Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The poster named horseburger must be very bothered by that statement of mine. It must be his third time bringing it up now.

The poster named horseburger must be very bothered by that statement of mine. It must be his third time bringing it up now.

Well, it was a stupid statement, and a good example, of what you try to suggest, is your contribution, to constructive criticism of Ray D'Arcy's presentation of programmes, on TV and radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

citykat posted the following:

"Ray: you're the oldest in your family.
    Guest: no I'm the youngest... "

Are you familiar with the Streisand effect?

• Advertisement

citykat wrote: »
    Are you familiar with the Streisand effect?

I'm not trying to hide or censor anything.

I was highlighting that you made a comment, incorrectly suggesting, that Ray D'Arcy was wrong, in the question he had asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

She was correct in saying that Varadkar was exaggerating the numbers of cases of fraud.

http://www.newstalk.com/Former-social-welfare-inspector-hits-out-at-antifraud-campaign

Bernadette Gorman, is quoted in this Newstalk item:

"The former inspector argued that staff have been extremely effective at stamping out fraud.
    She said: "You would imagine - by listening to Leo Varadkar and Regina Doherty - that Leo Varadkar magicked the notion into the social welfare code of anti-fraud activities. The reality is there has always been very, very highly efficient anti-fraud activities within the department structure and statutes.
    "Are you saying to me, or is Regina Doherty saying to me, that the methods whereby the fraud was policed for all those years was inefficient? I can tell you it wasn't".

http://www.newstalk.com/Former-social-welfare-inspector-hits-out-at-antifraud-campaign

You haven't answered my question as to whether you would be inclined to tune in, if you knew the particular topics, that you mentioned, were going to be discussed.

The point is, that no matter what is discussed on the show, there is a risk that someone, somewhere will not find it interesting.

For example, someone, somewhere will think that someone isn't a big enough celebrity, to be interviewed.

Someone, somewhere, might even think that the presenter shouldn't interview a guest in a particular way, depending on whatever celebrity media profile that guest has, at the time of the interview.

Someone, somewhere might even suggest that the presenter shouldn't interview a guest in a certain a way, because that guest might not have "full limelight" status.

Someone else will consider that a guest is "a complete nobody" just because they haven't heard of the guest before. One person posting in this forum who thinks someone they haven't heard of before is "a complete nobody", doesn't mean, that the person referred to, is "a complete nobody".

You are still chewing on that bone ,my friend.

Mr D’Arcy didn’t ‘interview’ the guest in a certAin way, he introduced a ‘has been’ like a minor deity hooping and hollering like a child.

I heard of the guest before, and the lad is well past his sell-by, well gone from the limelight.

Stop beating yourself up over obvious stuff like this.

You are still chewing on that bone ,my friend.

Mr D’Arcy didn’t ‘interview’ the guest in a certAin way, he introduced a ‘has been’ like a minor deity hooping and hollering like a child.

I heard of the guest before, and the lad is well past his sell-by, well gone from the limelight.

Stop beating yourself up over obvious stuff like this.

Shane Filan doesn't need to be in the "limelight", to have a successful career as a musician.

He was on the Ray D'Arcy show, in connection with publicising his October 2017 tour.

He can't be doing that badly, considering he played a series of UK dates, last October, as well as shows in The Olympia and Waterfront Hall.

There are many solo musicians, who were originally members of a band, that have been playing Dublin for years, coinciding with UK and European tours, who regularly play venues like Vicar Street, The Olympia, or The National Concert Hall.

There are numerous bands that play venues like The Olympia and Waterfront Hall, when they tour. Many of those bands, and solo musicians, when they play Dublin and Belfast, have not played bigger venues like the Bord Gais Energy Theatre, The 3 Arena or SSE Arena Belfast.

They continue to have successful careers and tours.

Aiken Promotions would not have promoted a Shane Filan show in the Waterfront Hall, if they didn't think it would sell well. MCD wouldn't have booked him to play The Olympia, if they thought it wouldn't sell.

Concert promoters don't book a band, if they think that band won't sell enough tickets. There are many bands who tour in the UK and Europe, that Irish music promoters, won't risk bringing to Dublin or Belfast.

So what, if Shane Filan isn't on your radar. Just because you don't like him, doesn't mean that no one else does.

https://www.aikenpromotions.com/shows/show/1088-shane-filan-love-always-tour-2017.html

https://mcd.ie/shane-filan-announces-love-always-tour-2017/

http://www.hotpress.com/Shane-Filan/news/Westlifes-Shane-Filan-Announces-Love-Always-Tour-2017/20021114.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭goochy

definitely starting to think horseburger has connections to Farcy

goochy wrote: »
    definitely starting to think horseburger has connections to Farcy

"Farcy"?

Hilarious. How long did it take you to think of that?

• Advertisement

I know where you are coming from , I don't go to mass regularly and go to funerals but I don't go on national radio to vilify the church.

we are all hypocrites I agree , I was just pointing his hypocrisy - will he go back to knocking the church when time settles after the funeral ?

What you are saying is, that you think that Ray D'Arcy is a hypocrite, for attending his father's funeral, despite not going to Mass regularly, but you also think that you are a hypocrite.

You think it's ok, for you to be a hypocrite, but not Ray D'Arcy.

Great argument.

I don't go on national radio and lambast the church when I am supposed to be neutral - I don't ever lambast the church and don't get paid €400k to be a hypocrite

you must be connected to him - you will back him no matter what.

I don't go on national radio and lambast the church when I am supposed to be neutral - I don't ever lambast the church and don't get paid €400k to be a hypocrite

you must be connected to him - you will back him no matter what.

Your issue is that he attended his father's funeral, and month's mind, in a church. You said you wished that the priest told him to "f off".
    Ray goes to his fathers months mind , what a hypocrite - wish priest told to him to f off .

You stated that you are also a hypocrite, for attending funerals, but not having a religious faith, and not attending Mass regularly.

By your logic, the priests who officiate at the funerals, that you attend, should also tell you to "f off".

you fool of a man , I don't go on national radio to lambast the church like he does so why would the priest tell me to f off ?!!

Brenda Donohue today.

I suppose it's better than listening to Katherine Thomas going on about "Himself" and "their" pregnancy

you fool of a man , I don't go on national radio to lambast the church like he does so why would the priest tell me to f off ?!!

Your issue was about Ray D'Arcy attending a religious funeral, a funeral that is based on a religious faith, that he does not follow. Your gripe with Ray D'Arcy is about him attending a religious funeral and month's mind, in memory of his father.

You issue is about Ray D'Arcy attending a Mass that is based on a religious faith, in which he does not believe.

On that basis, you stated that you would have liked the priest at that month's mind Mass, to have requested that Ray D'Arcy "f off".

You stated that you attend religious funerals. You stated, that you are a hypocrite, for doing so, because you do not have a belief in that religious faith.

You said "we are all hypocrites".

You suggested, that the priest would be entitled to request, that Ray D'Arcy "f off" for attending a religious funeral, in a church.

You stated this, on the basis, that the ceremony is related to having a belief in a religious faith, a faith which Ray D'Arcy has stated, that he does not have.

You have stated, that you are a hypocrite, on the basis that you have attended funerals in a church, but don't attend Mass regularly.

By your logic - of accusing Ray D'Arcy of being a hypocrite, for attending a religious ceremony, based on a religious faith, in which neither you, or Ray D'Arcy, believe - a priest could also tell you to "f off", for attending religious funerals in a church - funerals that are centred around having a religious faith.

I notice, that once again, you assume, that you can speak on behalf of other forum users, by stating "we are all hypocrites":
    I know where you are coming from , I don't go to mass regularly and go to funerals but I don't go on national radio to vilify the church.

we are all hypocrites I agree , I was just pointing his hypocrisy - will he go back to knocking the church when time settles after the funeral ?

Brenda Donohue today.

I suppose it's better than listening to Katherine Thomas going on about "Himself" and "their" pregnancy

You gave himself a capital h.

Do you think she is married to God?

i never said I don't believe - please read these words clearly - I DO NOT USE A NATIONAL RADIO SHOW AS A PLATFORM TO CONDEMN THE CHURCH -

i never said I don't believe - please read these words clearly - I DO NOT USE A NATIONAL RADIO SHOW AS A PLATFORM TO CONDEMN THE CHURCH -

If you do believe in religion, and have a religious faith, you had no reason to declare that you are a hypocrite, for attending a religious funeral.

I find your responses to me, quite amusing, because initially, when sweetmaggie replied to you, defending Ray D'Arcy's right to attend a Mass in his father's memory, I was going to suggest, that your insulting and disrespectful remark, about Ray D'Arcy, was no worse than comments that have been made, by others on boards.ie, for example, where he has been called things like;

"tosser":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76304948&postcount=2589

"a bit of a prick":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99539355&postcount=33

"Because he's just pure painful/up his own asre to listen to":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99539041&postcount=3

"a poxy interviewer":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99539138&postcount=12

"an idiot":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97845241&postcount=2857

"sh1t":

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99539149&postcount=13

Some of the above posts are included in this thread titled:

"Why does everybody hate Ray D'Arcy all of a sudden"

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057590980

You gave himself a capital h.

Do you think she is married to God?
    What??

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Mod: People, stop acting like children. The last number of posts have contained virtually nothing except name-calling, wind-up-merchanting and petulant bickering. Move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

I still love you, horseburger.

EDIT: I assumed the /s would be unnecessary.

davef1000 wrote: »

Thank you kindly.

me too - I think its annoying but good to be challenged

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

So the question is who's donating the pancake recipe tomorrow!
    considering the show is always flat:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I wonder does "himself" have a name?

davef1000 wrote: »

EDIT: I assumed the /s would be unnecessary.

That's no problem, you assumed correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭applehunter

VAR?

red card rescinded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I wonder does "himself" have a name?

Pat is himself's name

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement