Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

jimmyw wrote: »
    Ryan T loves this phrase too

Yeah but with Tubridy it's contrived, so that he sounds like a normal person. What he really wants to say is "Tally ho".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Yeah but with Tubridy it's contrived, so that he sounds like a normal person. What he really wants to say is "Tally ho".

I think most of RTE preseners think they are getting down and dirty with the "ordinary " folk when in reality they are far from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I think most of RTE preseners think they are getting down and dirty with the "ordinary " folk when in reality they are far from it.

Incredibly wealthy people have this weird knack of convincing people they're "a person of the people". Look at it on the positive side, at least here all they do is present radio and TV shows, rather than [POLITICAL STATEMENT REDACTED]. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

He did show them to Ray on the show apparently , but obviously the listener didn't see this.

This is the video of the interview:

https://www.facebook.com/rteradio1/videos/1651184238272606/

https://www.facebook.com/rteradio1/videos/1651184238272606/?permPage=1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Is this fookin idiot for real,trying to make Magella O Donnell guilty for doing up her home during a homeless crisis...whilst he's earning 400k for pressing the wrong buttons and shoving porridge and running up our holes

Embarrassing as usual..

• Advertisement

The neck of Ray to ask Majella why she should be doing her house up when there’s a homelessness crisis. I liked her answer “what??? What did you ask?......what kind of question is that.....what difference would myself and Daniel not doing up our place have on the crisis, for gawwwd’s sake?”

Welp, ye want him to ask the hard questions. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

What a pleb Ray D'arcy is. Such a stupid remark about homelessness. Fair play to Majella for pulling him up on it. And the ridiculous money Ray is on himself for garbage. He's some neck and cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I dont listen to D'Arcy but that sounds like a real D'Arcy thing to say.

Pity the interviewee didnt ask him how much he paid for his house in Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭goochy

so we know where Farcy lives now , Farcy was always told not to say ' calm down woman ' - just shows you our Daniel isn't under the thumb like Ray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

The neck of Ray to ask Majella why she should be doing her house up when there’s a homelessness crisis.

It was such a populist f**king question. Majella REALLY did not appreciate him trying to show off his social conscience at her expense. She really should have questioned how a man who take 400 thousand euros out of the public purse has the right to question a citizen about what they do with their privately earned money.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

The question to Majella today about doing up her home during a homelessness crisis was without doubt the dumbest thing I have ever heard Ray D'Arcy to say!!

It's like Ray meeting a friend of his & saying.....so you bought a new car.....dont you feel guilty about buying it during a homelessness crisis!!

I like the guy & have listened to his show since it started but i got really angry about that today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

No doubt he'll come up with some bullsh1t spin tomorrow to try and justify it. No way he'd admit to being wrong anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

gamecube wrote: »
    The question to Majella today about doing up her home during a homelessness crisis was without doubt the dumbest thing I have ever heard Ray D'Arcy to say!!

It's like Ray meeting a friend of his & saying.....so you bought a new car.....dont you feel guilty about buying it during a homelessness crisis!!

I like the guy & have listened to his show since it started but i got really angry about that today!!

Don’t blame you, there is a coterie of folk who think everyone should go round in sackcloth and ashes while this homeless issue is live.

Now, I sympathize greatly with some of those in trouble but as the lad said there is gaming the system big time.

On today’s RTE one there was word from a contributor that a percentage of those threatened were making no effort to help themselves.

Majella should have suggested that if he was that concerned he donate half his salary to the ‘cause’

Time these people were called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Don’t blame you, there is a coterie of folk who think everyone should go round in sackcloth and ashes while this homeless issue is live.

Now, I sympathize greatly with some of those in trouble but as the lad said there is gaming the system big time.

On today’s RTE one there was word from a contributor that a percentage of those threatened were making no effort to help themselves.

Majella should have suggested that if he was that concerned he donate 95% of his salary to the ‘cause’

Time these people were called out.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

gamecube wrote: »

I agree. I thought I was hearing things. How is this man so highly thought of in RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

One of the things I liked about Ray in his early run on the Den in RTE and earlier in his run with Today FM is he seemed down to earth and quite empathetic in a genuine way. Like what was mentioned earlier I think he is just going with a populist agenda in a bad way. I feel like he is going through the motions on RTE does anyone else think so? He sounds bored or disinterested whenever I listen to him....

Can I ask a genuine question here, because I didn't see it:

Did Daniel and Majella go like, extravagantly gauche with the renovations? Like, are we talking gold everywhere and silk curtains and stuff, or was it a fairly standard renovation for a couple who are fairly well off?

Like, was it a talking point around the show that they were being lavish, or did Ray just go "You're rich! You spent money on your house! B-b-but why not give it to the homeless? *sigh*"

(In real terms it doesn't make a difference, it's their money, I'm just trying to give Ray the benefit of the doubt here)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

(In real terms it doesn't make a difference, it's their money, I'm just trying to give Ray the benefit of the doubt here)[/quote]

Exactly..it's their own money,none of his business how they spent it. Was a despicable question and a definite low ball from someone who can't afford to throw one.
    I wonder would he have asked the same question of G Aryan when he spent a small fortune renovating his gaff in clontarf.. .i think not. He was being a smart arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

It was a daft question, right up there with his leaving Ireland if Enda became Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

lambayire wrote: »
    It was a daft question, right up there with his leaving Ireland if Enda became Taoiseach.

I heard it. If my memory serves me right, I think that he half hesitated in the middle of the sentence - which indicated to me that he felt that it was an inappropriate q to ask at that time. He basically tried to ambush her without thinking who he was talking to, the context, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
    She should have asked him as to what he was doing about the homeless, what does he do annually to help the less well off that cost him money, where does he live, what is the sq footage of his pad, what accommodation investments has he, how much is he now saving per year, what renovations has he carried out on his pad since he purchased it, how many cars does his family own, what services are within reach of his doorstep, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

If we all followed his logic and instead of living in houses in expensive areas; did not do any renovations; have a one car family (or even use bicycles only or walk); have entry levels of health insurance, size of TV (or do without it). Mobile phones, stop drinking alcohol , including wine; etc etc etc etc, THEN where is the government going to find the finance to , FOR EXAMPLE, PAY RAYS SALARY.

And where is the country going to find the opportunities to create jobs. Imagine what the scenario would be if building material , TV , car, service suppliers had to reduce staff or maybe close down . Just because RAy thinks that the finance saved should all go to wards the homeless crisis.

I can see his listenership figures taking a serious dip because of this one episode.
    It was a serious slip of his MASK

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

What was worse then was the cloying way he agreed with her as she answered, and the laughing along with her as he realised he'd called it very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Can I ask a genuine question here, because I didn't see it:

Did Daniel and Majella go like, extravagantly gauche with the renovations? Like, are we talking gold everywhere and silk curtains and stuff, or was it a fairly standard renovation for a couple who are fairly well off?

Like, was it a talking point around the show that they were being lavish, or did Ray just go "You're rich! You spent money on your house! B-b-but why not give it to the homeless? *sigh*"

(In real terms it doesn't make a difference, it's their money, I'm just trying to give Ray the benefit of the doubt here)

I don't think they went over the top at all when doing up the house and it turned out very nice. Daniel insisted at one stage on reusing old wardrobes and Dermot had to talk him into at least changing the old wardrobe doors and just keeping the frames.

Daniel also said at the end that they were blessed to be in a position to have the money to spend on it.

D'arcy mustn't have even watched it.

don't forget whenever Ray acts down to earth , Jenny reminds him that hes been middle class now longer than hes been working class.
    this is no joke - Ray has mentioned this

Exactly..it's their own money,none of his business how they spent it. Was a despicable question and a definite low ball from someone who can't afford to throw one.

Oh absolutely. I was just trying to ascertain whether it might have been a question fed to him by a producer who was keyed into the talking points around the show. Like, if they'd gone OTT, you could make the argument that they were flaunting their wealth at a time when so many are struggling to pay rent, etc.

But tbh, even if you wanted to go down that route, it'd be more RTE you'd criticise, because they commissioned the programme...

And yeah, Ray's in a very brightly lit glass house, so he'd probably be well advised not to take up javelin in his spare time.
    nc6000 wrote: »
    I don't think they went over the top at all when doing up the house and it turned out very nice. Daniel insisted at one stage on reusing old wardrobes and Dermot had to talk him into at least changing the old wardrobe doors and just keeping the frames.

Daniel also said at the end that they were blessed to be in a position to have the money to spend on it.

D'arcy mustn't have even watched it.

Cheers. Honestly, that's sort of what I assumed was the case. Daniel O'Donnell has always seemed like a relatively decent sort to me, so I had a hard time believing that they might have been tasteless in doing it, but just wanted to explore that possibility.
    goochy wrote: »
    don't forget whenever Ray acts down to earth , Jenny reminds him that hes been middle class now longer than hes been working class.
    this is no joke - Ray has mentioned this

Is Ray even middle class anymore? Like, I'd consider €400,000+ a year (plus whatever Jenny's bringing in, plus any nixers he's doing on the side like VO work, MCing, etc) as pretty upper class and well-to-do...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

i can't believe Ray did 15 min yesterday about prisons and never mentioned...............porridge !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Oh absolutely. I was just trying to ascertain whether it might have been a question fed to him by a producer who was keyed into the talking points around the show. Like, if they'd gone OTT, you could make the argument that they were flaunting their wealth at a time when so many are struggling to pay rent, etc.

But tbh, even if you wanted to go down that route, it'd be more RTE you'd criticise, because they commissioned the programme...

And yeah, Ray's in a very brightly lit glass house, so he'd probably be well advised not to take up javelin in his spare time.

Cheers. Honestly, that's sort of what I assumed was the case. Daniel O'Donnell has always seemed like a relatively decent sort to me, so I had a hard time believing that they might have been tasteless in doing it, but just wanted to explore that possibility.

Is Ray even middle class anymore? Like, I'd consider €400,000+ a year (plus whatever Jenny's bringing in, plus any nixers he's doing on the side like VO work, MCing, etc) as pretty upper class and well-to-do...

There aren't too many middle class living in Mount Merrion, they are well above that.

So is it blackrock or mount merrion ? just incase I buy a house there and hes my next door neighbour !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Dubya, I’m surprised !

Equating class with money!

Thought you were better than that?

Is McGregor upper class......... very taken aback here.

• Advertisement

Dubya, I’m surprised !

Equating class with money!

Thought you were better than that?

Is McGregor upper class......... very taken aback here.

“Socio-Economic Class” as it’s termed. But with individuals it can be different parts Socio and Economic. As my mother’s lot used to say “you can’t buy class” 😆

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement