Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

goochy wrote: »
    Horseburger how many times do you have to be told - Ray is not some random bloke giving opinions on boards like the rest of us - s - he is paid big bucks on a primetime national radio show - he is supposed to be professional - you cant compare people on boards to him

By your logic, people on boards can contradict each other, on the things, about which they complain, when speaking about Ray D'Arcy, but simultaneously, the same people on boards making contradictory complaints about Ray D'Arcy, can try to suggest that they are in agreement with each other, in their criticisms of Ray D'Arcy, on the basis that the show is broadcast on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

You haven't mentioned the Magella O'Donnell segment @Horseburger. What's your opinion on that interview?

You haven't mentioned the Magella O'Donnell segment @Horseburger. What's your opinion on that interview?

That interview doesn't take away, from the contradictory complaints made in this forum, that I referenced, regarding the interview, in yesterday's programme, about the communication between animals and humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

That interview doesn't take away, from the contradictory complaints made in this forum, that I referenced, regarding the interview, in yesterday's programme, about the communication between animals and humans.

The interview with Majella was really poor, to link spending money on a home renovation to the homeless crisis was really dumb

Majella deserved an apology for that statement

Is that your way of accepting that the views of the other posters re the Magella interview were correct?
    It's one of the only items that D'Arcy has done that you haven't strenuously defended.

• Advertisement

Is that your way of accepting that the views of the other posters re the Magella interview were correct?
    It's one of the only items that D'Arcy has done that you haven't strenuously defended.

Do you accept, that the poster who incorrectly suggested, that Ray D'arcy was wrong, to state that Lisa McInerney is the oldest child in her family, was incorrect?

Recently a poster, named citykat tried to suggest that Ray D'Arcy was wrong in suggesting, in an interview with Lisa McInerney, that she was the eldest child, of her mother.

During the interview, citykat posted on the forum, inaccurately suggesting, that Ray D'Arcy was incorrect in the question that he had asked.

citykat posted the following:

"Ray: you're the oldest in your family.
    Guest: no I'm the youngest... "

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105818072&postcount=7680

Ray D'Arcy was technically correct, in saying that Lisa McInerney was the eldest child, of her mother. When Lisa McInerney said that she was the youngest child, she was referring to the household, where she was brought up by her grandparents, where her siblings were her aunts and uncles.

Posters, very often, don't let accuracy, get in the way of smart-assed-ness, in their efforts, to find fault with Ray D'Arcy.

Here are the links to the audio of the interview and the facebook video, of the interview.

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21300217_19148_12-01-2018_

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/programmes/2018/0112/932880-ray-darcy-friday-12-january-2018/

https://www.facebook.com/rteradio1/videos/1615981775126186/

gamecube wrote: »
    The interview with Majella was really poor, to link spending money on a home renovation to the homeless crisis was really dumb

Majella deserved an apology for that statement

I didn't say otherwise.

Horseburger the only interview I've asked you about is the one with Magella O'Donnell. I haven't challenged you on whatever you're linking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭goochy

horseburger has definitely ate too much of those burgers -

Horseburger the only interview I've asked you about is the one with Magella O'Donnell. I haven't challenged you on whatever you're linking to.

I didn't contest what anyone has said regarding the Majella O'Donnell interview.

My point is about the way Ray D'Arcy gets criticized in this forum.

No matter what he says, someone here, will find fault with him.

I gave as an example, someone suggesting, that the interview with the woman who says she can interpret the communication between animals and humans, was not worth including on the show, presumably because this poster doesn't believe what she claims to be able to do.

This comment contrasts with someone else complaining, that Ray D'Arcy was indicating, in his comments to her, that he didn't believe what she was saying.

The poster, who appears to not believe what the guest claims to be capable of doing, would be in agreement with Ray D'Arcy, if it is the case, that he didn't believe, what she was saying she can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I imagine D'Arcy is not a big fan of burgers. If he was though he'd surely be partial to a bit of horse burger.

citykat wrote: »
    I imagine D'Arcy is not a big fan of burgers. If he was though he'd surely be partial to a bit of horse burger.

You are incorrect.

Ray D'Arcy spoke positively about a recipe for spicy lamb burgers, on Tuesday 17th May 2016, at the five minute 50 second mark on the show, and on the page for the show, a link to the particular recipe is included:

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_20989407_19148_17-05-2016_

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/programmes/2016/0517/789046-ray-darcy-tuesday-17-may-2016/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spicedlambburgerswit_86435

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I'm pointing out that in the criticism Ray D'Arcy receives, in this thread, he can't win, no matter what he does.

An example is the item from yesterday, where someone criticized the fact that the particular topic - of interpreting communication between animals and humans - was discussed on the show, presumably because the person who made the criticism, feels that the ability, to interpret the communication between animals and humans, is not possible.

Then someone else criticizes him, for not believing, what the interviewee, claims to be able to do.

Yes you're quite correct, Ray can't win here.

But he still shouldn't have such idiotic guests on his programme as that lady who has 'discovered' her inner ability to read the minds of animals... and will charge the gullible appropriately for the pleasure. Garbage radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

You are incorrect.

Ray D'Arcy spoke positively about a recipe for spicy lamb burgers, on Tuesday 17th May 2016, at the five minute 50 second mark on the show, and on the page for the show, a link to the particular recipe is included:

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_20989407_19148_17-05-2016_

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/programmes/2016/0517/789046-ray-darcy-tuesday-17-may-2016/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spicedlambburgerswit_86435

You're FAR more entertaining than Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The time of the whole Horseburger thing, Ray's producer Will dressed as a horse and tried to get into the hotel where the Minister for Agriculture was having a meeting.

Maybe the poster Horsebuger is Will? Would explain a few things.

BarryD2 wrote: »

But he still shouldn't have such idiotic guests on his programme as that lady who has 'discovered' her inner ability to read the minds of animals... and will charge the gullible appropriately for the pleasure. Garbage radio.

It's no worse an item for discussion, than items on other radio or TV shows, where guests are promoting new books, or tv shows, in which they are participating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Well i wouldn't say that,

after all this is the man who spent 30 minutes making half baked puns about Pamela Andersons tits to her face. This is the man who had a Jack Nicholson impersonator in a totally amateurish bait and switch let down, this is the host who had Dean Strang, the star of the biggest show on Netflix at the time, on his show and didn't know the first thing about him or the show.

Ray isn't some victim, along with making a ton of money he has also earned a reputation, for better or worse. Viewers, especially licence payers, should be allowed to criticise him, i just wish people would just not watch or listen to him instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

There is a very simple explanation around all this:

Lad is out of his depth in this slot.

Hey,it happens!

The licence payer has every right to promulgate opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭goochy

that's not saying much !
    I am getting tired of all his defending , he must know him as will defend him no matter what . he seems to have Rays sense of logic !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

BPKS wrote: »
    The time of the whole Horseburger thing, Ray's producer Will dressed as a horse and tried to get into the hotel where the Minister for Agriculture was having a meeting.

Vay ri intrestin'

• Advertisement

BPKS wrote: »

I doubt if any sensible poster gives a flying fork who he is.

Let’s not ...don’t know quite how to say this, maybe let’s not throw food off bridges might be appropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ray got an hnurable mentin in Callan's Kicks tnight. "Not my fault. It was Will's idea".

I doubt if any sensible poster gives a flying fork who he is.

Let’s not ...don’t know quite how to say this, maybe let’s not throw food off bridges might be appropriate?

Perhaps you might give a bit more thought into whatever it is, you are trying to say, before you post it?

By your comment that "any sensible poster" wouldn't enagage in speculation, you have insulted BPKS, Mena Mitty, and goochy, who have posted speculative comments. You have also insulted Max Prophet - who amusingly enough has endorsed your comment - and sligojoek, who have both thanked speculative comments.

Max Prophet endorsed a comment, made by goochy, that suggested that I "must know" Ray D'Arcy:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106235186&postcount=8030

Going by your comment, that "any sensible poster" wouldn't engage in speculation, you are therefore suggesting, that all these posters, are nonsensical, for engaging in speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It's no worse an item for discussion, than items on other radio or TV shows, where guests are promoting new books, or tv shows, in which they are participating.

What sort of shows do you listen to? In terms of the general run of such advertorial, this was utterly cringeworthy.

I'm not criticising Ray here, just his show content.

What sort of shows do you listen to? In terms of the general run of such advertorial, this was utterly cringeworthy.

I'm not criticising Ray here, just his show content.

I'd listen to different stuff, for example Morning Ireland, Drivetime, Sean O'Rourke, Pat Kenny, The Last Word, Talkback with William Crawley and The Stand with Eamon Dunphy.

I like that Eamon Dunphy's interviews are longer, than many of the interviews on programmes like The Last Word, or Drivetime. As a result of the longer interview, a more detailed discussion develops.

As an example, I think that the interview that Eamon Dunphy did with Maria Steen of the Iona Institute, discussing abortion, was a much better, more detailed discussion, than a recent interview that Sarah McInerney did with Maria Steen, on Newstalk, about the issue of schools not having enough places, to accommodate all enrolment applications.

https://soundcloud.com/thestandwitheamondunphy/ep-77-abortion-a-pro-life-view-with-maria-steen

https://ionainstitute.ie/maria-steen-discusses-minister-brutons-plans-to-focribly-amend-the-admissions-policies-of-faith-based-schools/

https://clyp.it/mvjiyysd

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Newstalk_Breakfast/Highlights_from_Newstalk_Breakfast/211753/Baptism_Barrier

I find the listen back options, on the various radio station websites, very useful, as many of the shows, are on air, at the same time. For example, Pat Kenny on Newstalk, and Sean O'Rourke on RTE, each have a panel discussion on Fridays, around 11.30am.

The item on The Ray D'Arcy show, about interpreting the communication between animals and humans, was no worse than turning on Newstalk, to hear, on Sean Moncrieff's show, a discussion about farting, and the consequences of holding in farts, or listening to Ciara Kelly discussing foreplay, erections and premature ejaculation:

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Moncrieff/Highlights_from_Moncrieff/214103/Tell_Me_Why.._We_Fart_Burp_and_Hiccup_

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Lunchtime_Live/Relationship_Advice_on_Lunchtime_Live/215993/How_to_deal_with_performance_issues_in_the_bedroom

I'd listen to different stuff, for example Morning Ireland, Drivetime, Sean O'Rourke, Pat Kenny, The Last Word, Talkback with William Crawley and The Stand with Eamon Dunphy.

I like that Eamon Dunphy's interviews are longer, than many of the interviews on programmes like The Last Word, or Drivetime. As a result of the longer interview, a more detailed discussion develops.

I find the listen back options very useful, as many of the shows are on air at the same time.

The item on The Ray D'Arcy show, about interpreting the communication between animals and humans, was no worse than turning on Newstalk, to hear, on Sean Moncrieff's show, a discussion about farting, and the consequences of holding in farts, or listening to Ciara Kelly discussing foreplay, erections and premature ejaculation:

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Moncrieff/Highlights_from_Moncrieff/214103/Tell_Me_Why.._We_Fart_Burp_and_Hiccup_

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/Lunchtime_Live/Relationship_Advice_on_Lunchtime_Live/215993/How_to_deal_with_performance_issues_in_the_bedroom

It beats listening to a clown who believes she can communicate wirelessly with animals and a clown who thinks she deserves airtime to promote her business.

sligojoek wrote: »
    It beats listening to a clown who believes she can communicate wirelessly with animals and a clown who thinks she deserves airtime to promote her business.

Whatever. Who should have been interviewed, instead of that item?

Who would you choose to interview, if you were one of the programme makers - someone, or something, that hasn't already been discussed numerous times, on different radio shows?

Whatever. Who should have been interviewed, instead of that item?

Who would you choose to interview, if you were part of the programme makers - someone, of something that hasn't already been discussed numerous times already, on different radio shows?

Someone of interest. Not some charlatan.
    Someone who's not coming up on RTE TV that night. Or who was on RTE TV the night before.
    Someone who isn't making government public service announcements.
    Someone who hasn't lost a loved one and happens to be selling a book, CD or whatever.
    Someone who has'nt been "Kicked off" the latest public voting show to tell us about the disappointment , the sorrow and the tears.

That kinda thing.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Someone of interest. Not some charlatan.
    Someone who's not coming up on RTE TV that night. Or who was on RTE TV the night before.
    Someone who isn't making government public service announcements.
    Someone who hasn't lost a loved one and happens to be selling a book, CD or whatever.
    Someone who has'nt been "Kicked off" the latest public voting show to tell us about the disappointment , the sorrow and the tears.

That kinda thing.

If you were part of the team that makes the programme, who would you have interviewed, instead of that item?

You haven't given one specific example, of a particular item - or a particular interviewee - that you think could have been included on the show, instead of the item about interpreting animal and human communication.

Who would you interview, or what topic, would you have discussed on the show, that hasn't already been covered, on other radio or TV shows?

What you might consider as "someone of interest", might not be of interest, to someone else. The item about animal and human communication, might have been of interest, to people who are interested in how pet animals, like dogs and cats, interpret the tone of the human voice, in terms of when the pet owners are praising, or reprimanding, their cats or dogs.

Who do you consider, to be "someone of interest"?

You might find a particular topic, to be interesting, but someone else might not find that topic interesting.

• Advertisement

If you were part of the team that makes the programme, who would you have interviewed, instead of that item?

You haven't given one specific example, of a particular item - or a particular interviewee - that you think could have been included on the show, instead of the item about interpreting animal and human communication.

Who would you interview, or what topic, would you have discussed on the show, that hasn't already been covered, on other radio or TV shows?

What you might consider as "someone of interest", might not be of interest, to someone else. The item about animal and human communication, might have been of interest, to people who are interested in how pet animals, like dogs and cats, interpret the tone of the human voice, in terms of when the pet owners are praising, or reprimanding, their cats or dogs.

Who do you consider, to be "someone of interest"?

You might find a particular topic, to be interesting, but someone else might not find that topic interesting.

This is the same old stuff again.

How can the lad say who he would have ‘put up’ to interview if he were part of the programme.

He is not part of the programme, he doesn’t know who is available,who wants to be interviewed,what the background ethos of the programme is

That’s not the way things work,my friend and you well know it, but persist with these spurious posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement