Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Not my job. Other people are paid collosal amounts of money to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

sligojoek wrote: »
    Not my job. Other people are paid collosal amounts of money to do that.
    This is the same old stuff again.

How can the lad say who he would have ‘put up’ to interview if he were part of the programme.

He is not part of the programme, he doesn’t know who is available,who wants to be interviewed,what the background ethos of the programme is

That’s not the way things work,my friend and you well know it, but persist with these spurious posts.

Neither of you are willing to give any good examples, of what you think should be included on the show, so instead you just moan and whinge all the time, about the programme.

It sounds to me, that neither of you, want to make suggestions for subjects and interviews for the show, because if your suggestions are not of interest to other people, you would have to accept, that not everyone listening to the show, would find your suggestions, to be of interest.

You both might not have liked the item about communication, between animals and humans, but other people might have found it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Neither of you are willing to give any good examples, of what you think should be included on the show, so instead you just moan and whinge all the time, about the programme.

It sounds to me, that neither of you, want to make suggestions for subjects and interviews for the show, because if your suggestions are not of interest to other people, you would have to accept, that not everyone listening to the show, would find your suggestions, to be of interest.

Ye might not have liked the item about communication between,animals and humans, but other people might have found it interesting.

You may be right, the cat nearly took the hand off me when I tried to switch it off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

You both might not have liked the item about communication between, animals and humans, but other people might have found it interesting.

I find interviewing some individual who potentially has some form mental illness using faux questioning which are invariably nothing more than snide remarks designed to humiliate and mock the person to be the lowest possible form of journalism, it’s Jeremy Kyle like stuff, just bullying and laughing at those less fortunate. Moncrieff does it regularly on that piss poor show of his on newstalk. D’arcy in his own desperation for entertaining listeners seems to have succumbed to this with this latest one, he even had a good chuckle at her expense the following day, at least Moncrieff pretends to take them at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Couple on Room to Improve want to spend €450k on house extension. Ray will have a heart attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Now at €650k, Ray will be crying into his porridge.

Couple on Room to Improve want to spend €450k on house extension. Ray will have a heart attack.

It's gone over 600k now.

He'll have to take the week off.

sightband wrote: »
    I find interviewing some individual who potentially has some form mental illness using faux questioning which are invariably nothing more than snide remarks designed to humiliate and mock the person to be the lowest possible form of journalism, it’s Jeremy Kyle like stuff, just bullying and laughing at those less fortunate. Moncrieff does it regularly on that piss poor show of his on newstalk. D’arcy in his own desperation for entertaining listeners seems to have succumbed to this with this latest one, he even had a good chuckle at her expense the following day, at least Moncrieff pretends to take them at face value.

A few days ago, a poster was complaining about Ray D'Arcy, for not pretending, to take what the guest was claiming - about animal and human communication - at face value.

If Ray D'Arcy did pretend, someone other poster on this forum, would complain about him, for doing exactly that - pretending to believe what the guest is saying - and then accuse him of being dishonest, in pretending to believe, what the guest claimed.

No matter what Ray D'Arcy says or does, someone will find fault with him.

A few days ago, a poster was complaining about Ray D'Arcy, for not pretending, to take what the guest was claiming - about animal and human communication - at face value.

If Ray D'Arcy did pretend, someone other poster on this forum, would complain about him, for doing exactly that - pretending to believe what the guest is saying - and then accuse him of being dishonest, in pretending to believe, what the guest claimed.

No matter what Ray D'Arcy says or does, someone will find fault with him.

Yes and it’s been explained time and again why people find fault with him !
    This is one of the busiest threads on radio and it’s like that for a reason .

Do you see similar threads complaining about Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy ? No.
    Why is this ? Because they research their topics , they act interested in the person they interview , they ask intelligent and relevant questions , they don’t push their own personal agenda (their kids , porridge, sugar, exercise) every show or even once every week.
    (Have you ever heard Pat talk or Ryan talk about their kids, partners ? )

Ray D’arcy is poor beyond belief. He is mostly unprofessional. The time he interview Pamela Anderson was puerile, immature and insulting. He was rude and out of order with Majella last week.
    He actually sounds incredibly demotivated and bored a lot of the time , continually sighing, he can’t work basic technology relevant to his job. Need I go on ?

Horse burger you are on your own in you’re campaign to support him against all odds , and no matter how many links you post (which most people don’t have time to read unless they don’t go to work ) it makes no difference .

Give people here credit where credit is due. D’arcy is so full of his own importance he doesn’t even see this and must never listen back to himself or he’d be mortified !!

We don’t all have time to pull statistics and links out when we comment here . It’s as simple as that ......certainly I don’t.
    But from the ordinary people who hear his guff on the radio at work or doctors surgery he is not liked . It’s irrelevant whether people can back up ‘why’ each and every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

To summarise that, It's 'hairdresser radio' nothing more ,nothing less.

Something to fill a background in Doctors,Dentists,Barbers,Shops,public lavatories,pubs,massage parlours, tattoo parlours,bookies shops,pawn shops, hospitals,Garda stations,veterinary clinics, etc etc

Why they had to pay a dude 500k to do it is quite beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭goochy

well said sweetmaggie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The weakest of all defenses...: "Well I'd like to see you do better!"

I find Michael Buble unlistenable, I don't need to sell out the Aviva Stadium to be entitled to that opinion.

Ray is just a poor broadcaster and always has been. He has next to no ability to charm or enlighten. Personally I think a lot of it stems from both his own personal bitterness and his general lack of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Seems like D'Arcy gets every second Monday off because he works Saturday night. Surely RTE should have said to him if you get to present The Saturday Night Show (which I'm sure there was a lot of competition for), then you only do so as long as the radio show doesn't suffer?

Ryan Tubridy does the Late Late show and also manages to show up for work on a Monday. Likewise with Gay Byrne over the years, and Pat Kenny.
    Ivan Yates has to present his Hard Shoulder show on Newstalk every day and then go on to do The Tonight Show the same evening at 10.30 pm, twice a week. Is Ray a special case?

The weakest of all defenses...: "Well I'd like to see you do better!"

I find Michael Buble unlistenable, I don't need to sell out the Aviva Stadium to be entitled to that opinion.

Ray is just a poor broadcaster and always has been. He has next to no ability to charm or enlighten. Personally I think a lot of it stems from both his own personal bitterness and his general lack of curiosity.

At least I got a €50 clothing voucher, which I spent yesterday before the coming of the snows, for enduring a night in front of himself in the studio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

At least I got a €50 clothing voucher, which I spent yesterday before the coming of the snows, for enduring a night in front of himself in the studio.

Was the show any better live? Did Kt come across better or just as bad!!!...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ray is off for the week.

Taking no chances with the bad weather forecast...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Ryan Tubridy does the Late Late show and also manages to show up for work on a Monday. Likewise with Gay Byrne over the years, and Pat Kenny.
    Ivan Yates has to present his Hard Shoulder show on Newstalk every day and then go on to do The Tonight Show the same evening at 10.30 pm, twice a week.

Is Ray a special case?

In more ways than one caller:p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Ray is off for the week.

Taking no chances with the bad weather forecast...

He's at home stock piling porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Jaysus I was wrong, he's gone for the whole week.

• Advertisement

Yes and it’s been explained time and again why people find fault with him !
    This is one of the busiest threads on radio and it’s like that for a reason .

Why is this ? Because they research their topics , they act interested in the person they interview , they ask intelligent and relevant questions , they don’t push their own personal agenda (their kids , porridge, sugar, exercise) every show or even once every week.
    (Have you ever heard Pat talk or Ryan talk about their kids, partners ? )

Ray D’arcy is poor beyond belief. He is mostly unprofessional. The time he interview Pamela Anderson was puerile, immature and insulting. He was rude and out of order with Majella last week.
    He actually sounds incredibly demotivated and bored a lot of the time , continually sighing, he can’t work basic technology relevant to his job. Need I go on ?

Horse burger you are on your own in you’re campaign to support him against all odds , and no matter how many links you post (which most people don’t have time to read unless they don’t go to work ) it makes no difference .

Give people here credit where credit is due. D’arcy is so full of his own importance he doesn’t even see this and must never listen back to himself or he’d be mortified !!

We don’t all have time to pull statistics and links out when we comment here . It’s as simple as that ......certainly I don’t.
    But from the ordinary people who hear his guff on the radio at work or doctors surgery he is not liked . It’s irrelevant whether people can back up ‘why’ each and every time.

I don't defend Ray D'Arcy "against all odds".

You have ignored the point I have made, that posters in this thread, contradict themselves in the things, about Ray D'Arcy, about which they they complain.

For example, on the item about animal and human communication, one poster complained that Ray D'Arcy didn't speak to the guest in such a way as to take the guest at face value.

A different poster suggests that he should have pretended to believe what she says. If he did pretend to believe what was stated, someone else would accuse Ray D'Arcy of dishonesty.

One person says he should do this, the other person says he should do that.

You haven't noticed that most of items I included were links to audio interviews, including links to interviews were being discussed in this thread, that don't need to be read.

By including the link to a recent interview by Ray D'Arcy with Lisa McInerney, I showed that one poster was incorrect, in stating that Ray D'Arcy was wrong, to state that Lisa McInerney was the oldest child of her mother.

In that example, a poster was more interested in making a smart assed remark, than actually listening to the interview. I say this because, when Ray D'arcy asked this question, Lisa McInerney clarified that she lived in a household with her grandparents, where her siblings were her aunts and uncles.

Ray D'Arcy was technically correct, to say to her, that she was the eldest child, of her mother. She clarified this in the interview, and went on to state, that she has a half sister.

The poster who made the comment about Ray D'Arcy, didn't let accuracy get in the way of smart-assed-ness.

I included a few items from The Journal, in previous posts, which suggested that Ray D'Arcy's salary, comes from advertising and sponsorship.

It takes about two seconds to find these items online.

I included these items, in response to people who stated, with no evidence to back up their claims, that Ray D'Arcy's fee, comes from the licence fee.

I also included a link to an item from the Drivetime with Mary Wilson show, discussing the salaries of radio presenters, from a few years ago - that was referenced in a transcript on the Broadsheet website - that can be accessed very quickly, on the RTE archive for the Drive Time show, once you know the date, that the interview was broadcast.

The date of the broadcast, is included in the item about the interview, on the Broadsheet website.

Most of the items I included were audio links, and the facebook videos of the interviews, which do not require reading.

Yes, I see similar threads, full of posters moaning about Ryan Tubridy and Pat Kenny:

The weekly boards.ie threads about each episode of The Late Late Show are examples, as is this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057709659

Type 'Ryan tubridy boards.ie' or 'Pat Kenny boards.ie' into google, and you'll see numerous threads, dating back over the years, which include comments from posters, negatively critiquing Pat Kenny's and Ryan Tubridy's presentation of shows, on radio and TV:

Here are a few examples:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055180764

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057004797

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=172469

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055966696

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057828615

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

I don't defend Ray D'Arcy "against all odds".

You have ignored the point I have made, that posters in this thread, contradict themselves in the things, about Ray D'Arcy, about which they they complain.

For example, on the item about animal and human communication, one poster complained that Ray D'Arcy didn't speak to the guest in such a way as to take the guest at face value.

A different poster suggests that he should have pretended to believe what she says. If he did pretend to believe what was stated, someone else would accuse Ray D'Arcy of dishonesty.

One person says he should do this, the other person says he should do that.

You haven't noticed that most of items I included were links to audio interviews, including links to interviews were being discussed in this thread, that don't need to be read.

By including the link to a recent interview by Ray D'Arcy with Lisa McInerney, I showed that one poster was incorrect, in stating that Ray D'Arcy was wrong, to state that Lisa McInerney was the oldest child of her mother.

In that example, a poster was more interested in making a smart assed remark, than actually listening to the interview. I say this because, when Ray D'arcy asked this question, Lisa McInerney clarified that she lived in a household with her grandparents, where her siblings were her aunts and uncles.

Ray D'Arcy was technically correct, to say to her, that she was the eldest child, of her mother. She clarified this in the interview, and went on to state, that she has a half sister.

The poster who made the comment about Ray D'Arcy, didn't let accuracy get in the way of smart-assed-ness.

I included a few items from The Journal, in previous posts, which suggested that Ray D'Arcy's salary, comes from advertising and sponsorship.

It takes about two seconds to find these items online.

I included these items, in response to people who stated, with no evidence to back up their claims, that Ray D'Arcy's fee, comes from the licence fee.

I also included a link to an item from the Drivetime with Mary Wilson show, discussing the salaries of radio presenters, from a few years ago - that was referenced in a transcript on the Broadsheet website - that can be accessed very quickly, on the RTE archive for the Drive Time show, once you know the date, that the interview was broadcast.

The date of the broadcast, is included in the item about the interview, on the Broadsheet website.

Most of the items I included were audio links, and the facebook videos of the interviews, which do not require reading.

Yes, I see similar threads, full of posters moaning about Ryan Tubridy and Pat Kenny:

The weekly boards.ie threads about each episode of The Late Late Show are examples, as is this thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057709659

Type 'Ryan tubridy boards.ie' or 'Pat Kenny boards.ie' into google, and you'll see numerous threads over the years, which include comments from posters, negatively critiquing Pat Kenny's and Ryan Tubridy's presentation of shows, on radio and TV:

Here are a few examples:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055180764

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057004797

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=172469

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055966696

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057828615

I got part of your point of view but not enough, can you please post a few more links and it may hit home? Thanks in advance horse.

sightband wrote: »
    I got part of your point of view but not enough, can you please post a few more links and it may hit home? Thanks in advance horse.

Splendid post sightband, really useful.

The links I included, are a sample of the numerous threads, on boards.ie, that include posts that negatively critique Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy, something that sweetmaggie suggested, did not exist on boards.ie.

A two second search on google, disproves the claim made by sweetmaggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I had taken a little holiday from this thread as it was becoming tiresome watching everyone who contributed , nearly having to justify themselves to one poster no matter how serious or light hearted their post intended to be.
    Can I ask a question.
    Whats your agenda Horseburger? It is quite obvious you have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Hold on a bell there now! The reason there are no similar threads on Tubridy is because nobody can be bothered to listen.

At least Ray, love or loathe him, has listeners!

I had taken a little holiday from this thread as it was becoming tiresome watching everyone who contributed , nearly having to justify themselves to one poster no matter how serious or light hearted their post intended to be.
    Can I ask a question.
    Whats your agenda Horseburger? It is quite obvious you have one.

Is it?

Can I ask you, why you would thank a post that includes an incorrect statement, regarding posts written on boards.ie, about Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy?

You thanked sweetmaggie's post that claimed there were no threads on boards.ie, that included complaints about Ryan Tubridy and Pat Kenny:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106260620&postcount=8050

What's your agenda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Is it?

Can I ask you, why you would thank a post that includes an incorrect statement, regarding posts written on boards.ie, about Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy?

You thanked sweetmaggie's post that claimed there were no threads on boards.ie, that included complaints about Ryan Tubridy and Pat Kenny:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106260620&postcount=8050

What's your agenda?

If I may interrupt here, for a moment, may I ask you, Horseburger, why you insist, on always, using so many flippin', commas?

davef1000 wrote: »
    If I may interrupt here, for a moment, may I ask you, Horseburger, why you insist, on always, using so many flippin', commas?

Often - I think - it's easier to read, if I break up a sentence with commas.

Perhaps in your sentence above, another option for your sentence construction, might have been, to use two sentences instead of one, and omit the comma after "flippin'"?

For example:

"If I may interrupt here, for a moment? May I ask you, Horseburger, why you insist, on always, using so many flippin' commas?

I employ the use of the odd hyphen as well.

This is gone beyond a joke

• Advertisement

sligojoek wrote: »
    This is gone beyond a joke

You cannot be serious!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement