Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Brenda is far from perfect but much more easier to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was going to say the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

davef1000 wrote: »
    We are all talking to someone who is on the autistic spectrum here. Maybe we should be a bit nicer to horseburger.

That's the sort of remark you resort to, when you have nothing more constructive to say.

Well done.

I've followed this thread for a long time, sometimes as a participator, sometimes as a lurker. I've always found it enjoyable and people make good and relevant points. I respect people's point of views and enjoy the banter. Some people like Ray D'arcy and can explain why. I am not a fan of Ray D'arcy as a presenter and I can also back up why. But the way its gone lately I'm taking a break. Its no fun when every single post is shut down by one person.

I haven't seen this happen on any other threads. If you try and defend your point you're going to get called a trouble maker or get MOD warnings which is unfair. None of us have time to explain in detail every single post we write - but one person calls on almost every poster here to do just that - its repetitive and boring.

I'm off to my other threads which are far more fun and lighthearted. Something very odd and heavy and pedantic has been happening on this one lately. Its no longer enjoyable.

Well, when you make an assertion, that can be disproved, after searching for two seconds on google, perhaps you should take, the two seconds that it takes, to verify what you are thinking of saying, before you say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭goochy

x2 posts in a row - are you not supposed to be on holiday ? lol

love how Brenda shows an interest in everything and doesn't bring her own morals into it - she would probably do the show for about half Rays money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Horseburger, I admire your devotion and tenacity throughout this thread, but it's a shame you choose to dedicate yourself to the gimp that is D'Arcy, thus making you the gimp's gimp. I don't even listen to D'Arcy but I like to keep up with this thread and the major trolling going on. Priceless :pac:

Tell us about yourself Horseburger....why the name? why the devotion to D'Arcy? Do you actually enjoy listening to him? Are you a long time fan of his? Have you ever secretly taken pictures of Ray with a telephoto lens?

Horseburger, I admire your devotion and tenacity throughout this thread, but it's a shame you choose to dedicate yourself to the gimp that is D'Arcy, thus making you the gimp's gimp. I don't even listen to D'Arcy but I like to keep up with this thread and the major trolling going on. Priceless :pac:

Tell us about yourself Horseburger....why the name? why the devotion to D'Arcy? Do you actually enjoy listening to him? Are you a long time fan of his? Have you ever secretly taken pictures of Ray with a telephoto lens?

You're hilarious. Tommy Tiernan and Dave McSavage are running scared of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

You're hilarious. Tommy Tiernan and Dave McSavage are running scared of you.

Love it! :pac: But you didn't answer any of my questions, did you Ray?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Love it! :pac: But you didn't answer any of my questions, did you Ray?

Mod: One day mandatory ban for "Hi presenter" type remark.

Seriously lads will ye cop on, there will be zero tolerance of this nonsense from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Mod: One day mandatory ban for "Hi presenter" type remark.

Seriously lads will ye cop on, there will be zero tolerance of this nonsense from now on.

Zero tolerance of Arseburger, or of everyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

davef1000 wrote: »
    Zero tolerance of Arseburger, or of everyone else?
    Mod:
    Congratulations to davef1000 for winning a one week ban; who wants to take a swing for a month's ban next?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I presume it's safe to discuss things as we used to without having to scroll through pages of links now?
    It was so frustrating on a phone.

When Breda was with Mooney I could tolerate/almost like her segments and vox pops. However, when she is doing the show on her own I find her just too excitable about every X-List person she interviews.
    On a positive note, that Eloise song that she introduced by somebody?? yesterday was excellent.

I presume it's safe to discuss things as we used to without having to scroll through pages of links now?
    It was so frustrating on a phone.

When Breda was with Mooney I could tolerate/almost like her segments and vox pops. However, when she is doing the show on her own I find her just too excitable about every X-List person she interviews.
    On a positive note, that Eloise song that she introduced by somebody?? yesterday was excellent.

The Eloise song is by Brian Deady.

Here is a video posted on Today FM's youtube channel, of the song:

Here's the video of him singing Witchita Lineman, on yesterday's Ray D'Arcy show:

https://www.facebook.com/rteradio1/videos/1663621557028874/

Here is the link to the audio of his appearance on the show:

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21325056_19148_27-02-2018_

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/#102742068

The RTE page above, lists his upcoming live shows:

March 16th - Whelans, Dublin
    March 17th - St Patrick's Gateway, Waterford
    March 18th - Dolans Warehouse, Limerick
    April 6th - Set Theatre, Kilkenny
    April 14th - "It takes a village" festival, Cork

Brenda's grand as a stand in. I wouldn't listen to her all the time but she's better than Katherine Thomas. She seems to be genuinely enjoying herself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

God, I'm not sure that the show is actually deserving of all the pages of text recently, and the manifestos from horseburger. It seems like there is more thought put in to the show on this thread than there is on the actual show itself.

I think it's shameful that D'Arcy got Brendan O'Connor kicked off the Saturday Night Show so that he could have the show for himself, and now feels that he can take "time off in lieu" and bring in the "beast from the east" to replace him any time that he wants to take a week off. It seems like RTE always get the worst deal for the license payer. It should have been put to him "Ray, if you're working the Saturday Night show, there is no taking time off the radio show in lieu as this may affect the radio show"

I'd say with Dee Forbes sexist policy on hiring of presenters there is little chance of getting Brendan back now anyway. If D'Arcy should ever leave the Saturday night TV show, that spot will no doubt be given to a woman. Probably given to Miriam, to tell some two bit actress how lovely her dress is.

I'll be honest. The future for RTE TV and radio is bleaky. "RTE, supporting the mediocre".

God, I'm not sure that the show is actually deserving of all the pages of text recently, and the manifestos from horseburger. It seems like there is more thought put in to the show on this thread than there is on the actual show itself.

I think it's shameful that D'Arcy got Brendan O'Connor kicked off the Saturday Night Show so that he could have the show for himself, and now feels that he can take "time off in lieu" and bring in the "beast from the east" to replace him any time that he wants to take a week off. It seems like RTE always get the worst deal for the license payer. It should have been put to him "Ray, if you're working the Saturday Night show, there is no taking time off the radio show in lieu as this may affect the radio show"

I'd say with Dee Forbes sexist policy on hiring of presenters there is little chance of getting Brendan back now anyway. If D'Arcy should ever leave the Saturday night TV show, that spot will no doubt be given to a woman. Probably given to Miriam, to tell some two bit actress how lovely her dress is.

I'll be honest. The future for RTE TV and radio is bleaky. "RTE, supporting the mediocre".

How do you know that Ray D'Arcy is responsible for Brendan O'Connor, no longer presenting a live show on RTE on Saturday nights.

Perhaps Brendan O'Connor no longer presents a live show on Saturday nights, because of the way he handled the live interview with Rory O'Neill in January 2014, which ended up in RTE paying 80,000 euros, to settle a legal action taken against RTE?

Brendan O'Connor, during that live interview, did not clearly disassociate RTE, or himself, from the comments made by Rory O'Neill, about the Iona Institute, and Breda O'Brien.

Brendan O'Connor did try and counter what Rory O'Neill stated about John Waters, in that interview, but I think, it ended up sounding like he agreed with Rory O'Neill, regarding Rory O'Neill's comments about homophobia and the Iona Institute, and Breda O'Brien.

I think, the problem was, that Brendan O'Connor, didn't clearly disassociate RTE, or himself, from the comments made by Rory O'Neill, about the Iona Institute, and all the people mentioned by Rory O'Neill, regarding the accusation of homophobia.

I think, that might be why RTE paid compensation, rather than contest the legal action, that was taken by John Waters, and the legal action taken by members of the Iona Institute.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1b6rru

I suspect that you do not know, what the reasons are, for Ray D'Arcy, not presenting the radio show, for example this week.

How do you know that he "feels that he can take "time off in lieu"" and "bring" another presenter "to replace him any time that he wants to take a week off"?

How do you know, that Ray D'Arcy takes time off presenting the radio show, as a result of him presenting the TV show?

How do you know that Dee Forbes has a "sexist policy on hiring of presenters"?

What's wrong with TV presenters, not being men?

Perhaps, in your comment, in the way that you have written as fact, that Dee Forbes, has a "sexist policy" regading the of hiring television presenters on RTE, you are defaming Dee Forbes, by accusing Dee Forbes of sexism?

I reference this item regarding a successful action taken by Cat Stevens in 2008:

The text below, is on page 7 in this item:

http://catalogue.pearsoned.co.uk/assets/hip/gb/hip_gb_pearsonhighered/samplechapter/140825414X.pdf

"Former pop star Yusuf Islam (formerly known as Cat Stevens) accepted an out-of-court settlement from news agency WENN in 2008, over a story claiming that he was sexist and bigoted. Mr Islam is a Muslim and the story claimed that he refused to speak to any woman who was not wearing a veil. The story was said to have caused distress in painting him as sexist, and presenting a distorted picture of his religious views".

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

The only way RTE were going to get Ray out of Today fm was by offering him the Saturday night talk show

It really hurt Today FM to lose him (as seen by Anton & Dermot & Dave's JNLR figures after they took his time slot)

And it helped 2fm a hell of a lot by not having to compete against him (as shown by their improved JNLR figures after he left)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

The Eloise song is by Brian Deady.

Here is a video posted on Today FM's youtube channel, of the song:

Here's the video of him singing Witchita Lineman, on yesterday's Ray D'Arcy show:

https://www.facebook.com/rteradio1/videos/1663621557028874/

Here is the link to the audio of his appearance on the show:

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21325056_19148_27-02-2018_

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/#102742068

The RTE page above, lists his upcoming live shows:

March 16th - Whelans, Dublin
    March 17th - St Patrick's Gateway, Waterford
    March 18th - Dolans Warehouse, Limerick
    April 6th - Set Theatre, Kilkenny
    April 14th - "It takes a village" festival, Cork

On a rare listen in. I thought he'd started Wichita Lineman too high, but he carried it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Mod: Yeah... thread locked temporarily while we attempt to put the train back on the rails. Will reopen in about an hour.

Mod: Right. Following review of the thread, we now have 4 people taking a little break, and a further two who've had cards added. An impressive amount of fallout for what boiled down to blatant trolling being responded to by people who should know better.

Things that need to be reiterated:
    • Please, use the report button rather than replying to obvious wind-up posts. It might not get dealt with instantly, but it will get dealt with. Responding just further derails the discussion.
    • Posters DO NOT have to defend why they listen to a show. They DO NOT have to defend why they like a show. Attacking posters on the basis of "Oh, you're always just so negative! Listen to something else! I bet you couldn't do better!" or "Oh, you're always defending the show, you must have an agenda! You must have some connection to the team!" are equally reductive and irritating avenues for the thread to go down. People who like the show should feel free to voice that opinion and challenge what they deem to be unfair criticism. Posters who hate the show are free to post their grievances and challenge what they deem to be undue praise. But BOTH sides need to centre these arguments around the bloody content of the show. Nothing else matters.
    • And, most importantly, remember that if a poster is posting stuff you don't think adds to the discussion, the easiest and most effective way to get them to stop is just to not reply to them. The good lord invented scroll wheels for a reason people. Report it if it's trolling, ignore it if it just bores you and post something more interesting yourself.

Now, I'm off to build a snowman, can I trust y'all to play nicely?

Thread reopened, apologies for anyone who wanted to post about the first half hour of the show today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Build that bad boy Dubya, everything’s cool.

Thanks WN.

Hopefully things will get back to normal now. Pity about the collateral cards.

Tomorrow and Friday will be the first 2 days in ages I'll be able to listen to the radio and give out about Ray and the fecker decides to take the week off.

Is it true that Ray D'Arcy done a radio show on 2fm about 20 years ago?

Is it just Today FM & RTE radio that he has worked for or has he done anything else we don't know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

gamecube wrote: »
    Is it true that Ray D'Arcy done a radio show on 2fm about 20 years ago?

Is it just Today FM & RTE radio that he has worked for or has he done anything else we don't know about?

Here you go:

So Ray D'Arcy.....former 2fm, Today FM & current RTE Radio 1 broadcaster!

Is he the only guy to have broadcast on all 3 radio stations?

I cant think of anybody else to have done so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Ray D'arcy's brief time on 2FM I thought was common knowledge on this board.

As well as The Great Giveaway show, he also covered for Lorcan Murray on 2FM one or 2 weekends 2 pm to 6pm, in Summer 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

gamecube wrote: »
    So Ray D'Arcy.....former 2fm, Today FM & current RTE Radio 1 broadcaster!

Is he the only guy to have broadcast on all 3 radio stations?

I cant think of anybody else to have done so

Theres no mystery here... You know he started on the den... RTÉ 1 and RTÉ Radio are aware of each other.... The big deal was moving to today fm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I heard them announcing last night that D'Arcy's TV show is cancelled tonight. Off for another week of radio, and off another night off the TV. You'd wonder at what stage RTE start getting some value out of this guy?

I heard them announcing last night that D'Arcy's TV show is cancelled tonight. Off for another week of radio, and off another night off the TV. You'd wonder at what stage RTE start getting some value out of this guy?

Well I suppose to be fair, they can basically attribute a portion of any increased revenues at 2FM in the past 3 years to D'Arcy. It's odd, I think it was originally suggested as a joke that the only reason they got Ray back was to hurt Today FM, but the more time goes on...

Question actually, did Ray ever do a stint on the pirates? I know he used to be a club DJ, and interestingly his Wiki page says he actually began his RTE career on RnaG.

• Advertisement

I think I remember Darcy himself saying that he did pirate radio in Kildare

Will Leahy said at the time...RTE have got Today FM's star striker off the pitch, and it's true, Today FM have not recovered from losing him

2fm has been on the up since he left & have passed Today FM in the weekday ratings

I don't know if Ray started on RnaG but he is a fluent Irish speaker (I may be wrong on this)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement