Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

gamecube wrote: »

but he is a fluent Irish speaker (I may be wrong on this)

He is in his Shyte!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I think I remember Darcy himself saying that he did pirate radio in Kildare

Will Leahy said at the time...RTE have got Today FM's star striker off the pitch, and it's true, Today FM have not recovered from losing him

2fm has been on the up since he left & have passed Today FM in the weekday ratings

I don't know if Ray started on RnaG but he is a fluent Irish speaker (I may be wrong on this)

Not wrong.....very very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ray's sadly worth every penny. It was perfect timing from today fm getting rid of him as he was on the down slide and Anton was decent but since then today fm is in free fall and that's worth something to RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

It looks like I was wrong! Sorry guys!

Ray's sadly worth every penny. It was perfect timing from today fm getting rid of him as he was on the down slide and Anton was decent but since then today fm is in free fall and that's worth something to RTÉ.

Today FM never wanted rid of him, they tried their best to keep him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Will Leahy said at the time...RTE have got Today FM's star striker off the pitch, and it's true, Today FM have not recovered from losing him

2fm has been on the up since he left & have passed Today FM in the weekday ratings

I don't know if Ray started on RnaG but he is a fluent Irish speaker (I may be wrong on this)

Lol! He can’t even spell “Taoiseach”.:pac:;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

“anash preev scaylta an nookt”...5 minutes late and usually through gritted teeth and a sigh. he’s as fluent in irish as del trotter was in french.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Lol! He can’t even spell “Taoiseach”.:pac:;)

Can he even say it ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Today FM never wanted rid of him, they tried their best to keep him

Pity they failed.!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ray doing something illegal. Ah come on now, Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I heard them announcing last night that D'Arcy's TV show is cancelled tonight. Off for another week of radio, and off another night off the TV. You'd wonder at what stage RTE start getting some value out of this guy?

I'd seen the ad for Grainne Seoige last wk for this Sat & knew Ray wouldn't be on,
    as you're never gonna see Person of the Year & Ray D'arcy in the same slot, less of the upstanding, more like upped & left & no wonder Brenda Donohue let it slip that he was lounging in Lanzarote, ;) or as i call him the scrote in Lanzarote :D

Although would he have gone ahead with no-snow/show guests :confused:
    sightband wrote: »
    “anash preev scaylta an nookt”...5 minutes late and usually through gritted teeth and a sigh. he’s as fluent in irish as del trotter was in french.

Nuacht no more,
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Pot Pourri! [/FONT]Chateauneuf du Pape!:p[/FONT]
    Can he even say it ? :)

He always had trouble with his TH's :D
    Pity they failed.!

I think RTE bought him as a loss-leader, like keep your friends close, but your enemies closer/nearer

Btw: anyone got a count on #raysdaysoff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭goochy

Lanzorote ? couldn't have imagined Jenny there - far too common.

Ray cant even get Brendas surname right - o Donaghue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Are we supposed to feel sympathy for this An Post manager who stole from the company? Has he written a book? Why the publicity?

People like this in An Post who make good money for doing little, while small rural post offices and the public are screwed.

Incompetent and overpaid.

Edited to add: And no, don't believe a word when he says he wanted to repay what he'd taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

goochy wrote: »
    Ray cant even get Brendas surname right - o Donaghue

He mentioned ‘skewered thinking’ today..twice when it should be ‘skewed thinking’.:(

You see,this is the stuff which hangs him out to dry week after week.

This is the kind of stuff which allows kernts like me to attribute’hairdresser radio’ to the show.

Ray just doesn’t have the depth to handle this slot on the principal radio band.

Ray was not expecting a load of Irish people in Lanzorote in February....

Everywhere he went....Howya Ray, how's it going Ray!

I don't think ha wanted to meet any Irish people!

(Is there any place with sun this time of year were there are no Irish people?)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Lanzorote ? couldn't have imagined Jenny there - far too common.

And probably had to bring their 2 little dorlings on Ryanair flight with the common northside folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He doesn't like Martin McDonagh anyway.

'Three Billboards outside blah dee blah somewhere'. Or words to that effect.

For a man who can be pedantic as fcuk when it suits him, he should have had the decency to address the film by it's proper title, <mod>.

I'd say they were all on Plan B in RTE today after Saoirse didn't win.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

sligojoek wrote: »

For a man who can be pedantic as fcuk when it suits him, he should have had the decency to address the film by it's proper title, <mod>.

444895.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I was sickened by the comment he made in relation to how people give out about having to pay the licence fee and then in times of need we become the public service broadcaster and "we" are all there for you.

RTE are our national broadcaster and this is the reason they get so much from taxpayers.

You were not there, incredibly you were on leave again and while I dont begrudge anyone holidays, I do take issue with how many days you are missing every year considering the unreasonable salary you are paid for doing quite frankly a sloppy , unprofessional and poor journalistic job.

So I listened to Brenda all week. She is a much better prospect in that slot. Hopefully she was paid the same amount of salary that Ray receives for his weekly radio shambles.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    And probably had to bring their 2 little dorlings on Ryanair flight with the common northside folk.

I forget they're names again, i think ray has mentioned them once or twice ;)
    BarryD2 wrote: »
    Are we supposed to feel sympathy for this An Post manager who stole from the company? Has he written a book? Why the publicity?

People like this in An Post who make good money for doing little, while small rural post offices and the public are screwed.

Incompetent and overpaid.

Edited to add: And no, don't believe a word when he says he wanted to repay what he'd taken.

I heard that he's on the last word later today, No doubt ray said afterwards, why he done it "answers on a postcard" D'oh :P

Thankfully i only heard the start of the show, before someone saving me !

Heard the weather wasn't that great over there - couldn't have happened to a nicer fella lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

sligojoek wrote: »

I wouldn't be a fan of Mcdonagh either to be honest.
    A little fond of playing the Irish card only when it suits.

Having said that, it's not too much to expect a professional broadcaster to be able to name an Oscar nominated film correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

The mini marathon is not a charity event. The fee going to a for profit company, not to charity.

A chairty event is where ALL profits go to a chairty, not where others raise the funds.

Oh and its nothing to do with a marathon, its a fcuking 10k:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

The mini marathon is not a charity event. The fee going to a for profit company, not to charity.

A chairty event is where ALL profits go to a chairty, not where others raise the funds.

its a 10k where a lot of fat aul wans daisy chain their arms together and walk the entire ‘mini marathon’, which is what a lot of people walk in their normal working day. the aul wans then get absolutely destroyed on pints after as a reward for their endeavours. if anyone doubts this go in and witness the mess in the boozers in town after. it’s a money making farcical event.

Heard the weather wasn't that great over there - couldn't have happened to a nicer fella lol

They don't call him rayofsunshine for nothing as RTE thinks the sun shines outta his arse;)
    sightband wrote: »
    its a 10k where a lot of fat aul wans daisy chain their arms together and walk the entire ‘mini marathon’, which is what a lot of people walk in their normal working day. the aul wans then get absolutely destroyed on pints after as a reward for their endeavours. if anyone doubts this go in and witness the mess in the boozers in town after. it’s a money making farcical event.

Sounds like a job for Buzzkill Darcy aka BKD v people drinking WKD:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

On that point, it may be organised by a "for profit" company, but as far as I know, the event is owned by an athletics club in South Dublin. So, whatever profits come out of it, funds their activities afaik, rather than it going into someone's back pocket. What is and isn't a "charity" event, is whole other ball of wax. There's been plenty of discussion around that over the years on the athletics forum. As for the event itself, I think it's great. With 40,000 entrants you're going to get plenty of jokers who don't take it seriously, but the vast majority do. Each to their own.

womens marathon makes me sick - imagine if we had a mens marathon - some feminazis actually have a problem with men dressed as women running for charity . All double standards - we want equality but only when it suits us and we can discriminate against men not other way round down. Not surprised Jenny does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

womens marathon makes me sick - imagine if we had a mens marathon - some feminazis actually have a problem with men dressed as women running for charity . All double standards - we want equality but only when it suits us and we can discriminate against men not other way round down. Not surprised Jenny does it.

was there not an issue a year or 2 back with a group of both women and men who wanted to enter it for a charity and a bit of fun but the organisers wouldnt let the men enter even they were going to dress up in drag. i thought years ago men were always able to do it for charity and as competitive runners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

neris wrote: »
    was there not an issue a year or 2 back with a group of both women and men who wanted to enter it for a charity and a bit of fun but the organisers wouldnt let the men enter even they were going to dress up in drag. i thought years ago men were always able to do it for charity and as competitive runners

No they wouldn't let a blind runner have a male running with her. They had to change their mind after a big back lash.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement