Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

You know full well that when Ray D'Arcy said Black, that he was referring to Mary Black's surname, and nothing else.

You were trying to suggest something else, when, in your post, you wrote Black, with a small b.

You wrote O'Reilly with a capital O and R, but you wrote Black, with a small b.

If I wanted to be smart assed with you, and accuse you of something, for which I have no evidence, I could just as easily suggest that you are being racist, considering the negative way you wrote that "the Blacks are right at home" in RTE.

You wrote, with a negative tone, that "the Blacks are right at home" in RTE.

You did not write "the Black's are right at home" in RTE.

It is not clear, by the way you wrote that sentence, and the way that you omitted the apostrophe, whether or not you are referring to black people, or to the Black family.

My point is that Ray assumed people knew that Roisin O's mother is Mary Black, but many people would not know this, because Roisin O is not exactly mega famous here. It sounded stupid the way Ray said it, not racist. You are the one introducing a racial aspect to his comments. I'm observing Ray's amateurism, not his racism.

You're jumping all over a lot of innocuous comments there horse...maybe you should have a lie down under a bridge? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

My point is that Ray assumed people knew that Roisin O's mother is Mary Black, but many people would not know this, because Roisin O is not exactly mega famous here. It sounded stupid the way Ray said it, not racist. You are the one introducing a racial aspect to his comments. I'm observing Ray's amateurism, not his racism.

You're jumping all over a lot of innocuous comments there horse...maybe you should have a lie down under a bridge? :p

I am pointing out that I could accuse you of a negative insinuation, by what you wrote, in the same way as you are criticizing Ray D'Arcy, even though you knew what he was saying.

You know that he wasn't saying anything other than Róisin O is Mary Black's daughter, and that all he was doing was encouraging her to speak on the show, about the strong involvement in music, of her family.

I am pointing out that I could accuse you of a negative insinuation, by what you wrote, in the same way as you are criticizing Ray D'Arcy, even though you knew what he was saying.

You know that he wasn't saying anything other than Róisin O is Mary Black's daughter, and that all he was doing was encouraging her to speak on the show, about the strong involvement in music, of her family.

And Ray's introduction of her was very amateur and borderline offensive if you didn't know that Roisin O's mother is (Mary) Black...as many people would not know. Once again, going around in circles about nothing. I'm right, you're wrong. Suck it!

And Ray's introduction of her was very amateur and borderline offensive if you didn't know that Roisin O's mother is (Mary) Black...as many people would not know. Once again, going around in circles about nothing. I'm right, you're wrong. Suck it!

All he was doing was encouraging her to talk about the musical heritage in her family. That's all.

You are the one who brought up this "nothing" issue, by making a smart assed comment about it, and calling him a "tool".

Ray D'Arcy mentioning the surname of Rósin O's mother, is not "borderline offensive".

Stating, negatively, that "The Blacks are right at home" in RTE, could be interpreted offensive and racist, if one wanted to assume that you deliberately wrote "The Blacks" instead of "The Black's".

By mentioning that Róisin O's mother's surname is Black, indicates that Ray D'Arcy was not assuming, that people listening to the show, knew Mary Black is her mother. It indicates that he was encouraging Róisin O, to detail to the listeners, that she is a daughter of Mary Black, and niece of Frances Black, and that there is a strong involvement in music, of her family.

I brought up the fact that I turned on the radio for 5 mins yesterday and in that time Ray's amateurism was on full show. And yes I do believe he is a complete tool. Lazy, ill-informed and amateur. But it's RTE, that's the standard. Clearly you have a devotion to Ray that borders on a dog-like faithfulness, and you cannot see anything wrong with him in any way. If he floats your boat, enjoy. But you do have a very persistent way of trying to shut down any comments or discussion that doesn't sit with your view of D'Arcy and RTE, and that I don't like. You jump all over peoples comments without contributing much in the way of original input. If anyone says anything even mildly critical about D'Arcy, you are like an attack dog springing into action to protect its master. How about contributing something yourself, rather than always just reacting to the comments of others?

Why do you like D'Arcy? Do you think he is a good interviewer? Do you think he is well informed? Do you think he is worth whatever inflated salary he earns? I don't expect any response to the above because that is not your style.

• Advertisement

I brought up the fact that I turned on the radio for 5 mins yesterday and in that time Ray's amateurism was on full show. And yes I do believe he is a complete tool. Lazy, ill-informed and amateur. But it's RTE, that's the standard. Clearly you have a devotion to Ray that borders on a dog-like faithfulness, and you cannot see anything wrong with him in any way. If he floats your boat, enjoy. But you do have a very persistent way of trying to shut down any comments or discussion that doesn't sit with your view of D'Arcy and RTE, and that I don't like. You jump all over peoples comments without contributing much in the way of original input. If anyone says anything even mildly critical about D'Arcy, you are like an attack dog springing into action to protect its master. How about contributing something yourself, rather than always just reacting to the comments of others?

Why do you like D'Arcy? Do you think he is a good interviewer? Do you think he is well informed? Do you think he is worth whatever inflated salary he earns? I don't expect any response to the above because that is not your style.

Hilarious that you would consider the insults and comments, in this forum - about Ray D'Arcy - to be discussion.

Is calling him a "tool" discussion?

Mutual anti Ray D'Arcy appreciation society, more like.

Hilarious that you would consider the insults and comments, in this forum - about Ray D'Arcy - to be discussion.

Is calling him a "tool" discussion?

Mutual anti Ray D'Arcy appreciation society, more like.

And as predicted you don't answer any questions you are asked. Keep trolling down the road, horse!

All he was doing was encouraging her to talk about the musical heritage in her family. That's all.

You are the one who brought up this "nothing" issue, by making a smart assed comment about it, and calling him a "tool".

Ray D'Arcy mentioning the surname of Rósin O's mother, is not "borderline offensive".

Stating, negatively, that "The Blacks are right at home" in RTE, could be interpreted offensive and racist, if one wanted to assume that you deliberately wrote "The Blacks" instead of "The Black's".

By mentioning that Róisin O's mother's surname is Black, indicates that Ray D'Arcy was not assuming, that people listening to the show, knew Mary Black is her mother. It indicates that he was encouraging Róisin O, to detail to the listeners, that she is a daughter of Mary Black, and niece of Frances Black, and that there is a strong involvement in music, of her family.

Your use of commas in the last paragraph above is a bit all over the place there horse :)

Why would I say "the Black's" instead of "the Blacks"?:confused: There are a few Blacks right, so the plural of Black is Blacks, not Black's. What the hell are you on about? :pac:

Your use of commas in the last paragraph above is a bit all over the place there horse :)

What you are suggesting is that comments by posters - comments which are very often nothing more than insults - whinging about Ray D'Arcy, aren't to be questioned.

Great discussion indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Great discussion indeed.

Bow out so....

I’ll even try and organise a whiparound if you promise to do so, do you take PayPal?

No, you are saying that. I'm just saying you are using too many unnecessary commas. Keep on point man, for God's sake!:p

Why would I say "the Black's" instead of "the Blacks"?:confused: There are a few Blacks right, so the plural of Black is Blacks, not Black's. What the hell are you on about? :pac:

You would state Black's if you were referring to the family, as in the Black Family singular.

The term "Blacks" is plural.

You wrote "Blacks", even though you were referring to one family with a surname Black. If you were referencing one family with the surname Black, you should have written "Black's".

The term "Blacks" is often used as a racist comment.

For example:

"No Blacks, No Dogs, No Irish"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/28/no-reason-to-doubt-no-irish-no-blacks-signs

I referred to the Blacks, meaning Mary, and her offspring/siblings. So one Black plus another Black plus another = many Blacks. I didn't refer to the family itself, but to a collection of it's individual members. It's not complicated horse.

Now I must be off as I have a bit of a life. Mind the house while I'm gone. Good dog!

Also have a read of this, seeing as you are so into inserting links into your nonsensical posts :pac:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/apr/05/online-trolls-comments

I referred to the Blacks, meaning Mary, and her offspring/siblings. So one Black plus another Black plus another = many Blacks. I didn't refer to the family itself, but to a collection of it's individual members. It's not complicated horse.

Now I must be off as I have a bit of a life. Mind the house while I'm gone. Good dog!

Splendid reply, not at all "borderline offensive" or indeed hypocritical, with regard to your insinuation that Ray D'Arcy was "borderline offensive"

You're wrong. Again! Sigh :rolleyes:

https://writeshop.com/pet-peeves-apostrophes-plural-family-names/

If you are going to be a pedant, at least be a well-informed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

artvanderlay, Don't waste your time. You'll end up getting a card.

Ah, I was in the mood for him tonight :D

I looked it up and see that I was incorrect in the apostrophe placement, in the word.

But what did you mean by saying "The Blacks are right at home in RTE"?

What was "horsesh-it" about the interview.

Is your use of the term "horsesh-it" an example of your "original input" discussion?

Why did you write Black with a small b, when you knew that Ray D'Arcy was referencing the Black family?

You insinuated that Ray D'Arcy was referring to black people, by your suggestion that he said Róisin O's mother "is black", even though you knew what he meant.

You deliberately used a small b when you typed "black", event though you knew that he was referring to Mary and Frances Black.

Which is the point. I could make insinuations against you, the same way people are criticizing Ray D'Arcy.

• Advertisement

You stated "The Blacks are right at home in RTE".

You could also be referring to black people. [but I'm clearly not, given that I had already mentioned the Black family before that quoted line, and indeed the capitalisation of their surname would suggest to anybody with a brain that I was referring to the Black family again. Ray was speaking, not writing when he said that Roisin O's mother is Black, so there is ambiguity there if you do not know who the hell Roisin O and her mother are]

You insinuated that Ray D'Arcy was referring to black people, by your suggestion that he said Róisin O's mother "is black", event though you knew what he meant.

Which is the point. I could make insinuations against you, the same way people are criticizing Ray D'Arcy.

The only insinuation I am making against Ray is that he is an amateur and a bit thick. Now you are going around in circles, not making any sense, so I'm done with you now horse. The ignoring shall begin :)

Event though? Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Event though? Wtf?

Sure even a bit of cold weather is an "event" these days.

The only insinuation I am making against Ray is that he is an amateur and a bit thick. Now you are going around in circles, not making any sense, so I'm done with you now horse. The ignoring shall begin :)

Just as you posted this, I edited my last post to indicate I was wrong about the placement of the apostrophe in the word Black, but I also asked why you felt the need to write Black with a small b, when you knew that Ray D'Arcy was referring to the family of Mary and Frances Black.

You knew that he wasn't suggesting that Mary Black was black. Despite knowing that he meant that her mother is a member of the Black family who are involved in music, you described what he said as "borderline offensive".

When he said it, he paused and them emphasized the word Black, clearly indicating that he was referencing the surname Black, and not that her mother is black.

Ray D'Arcy said "So your name is Róisin"

Róisin O said "Yes"

He said "And the O comes from...",

Róisin O said "O'Reilly"

and Ray D'Arcy said "Right. And you mum is... Black."

Róisin O said "Yes."

Ray D'Arcy then said "Right. And Danny O'Reilly is your brother."

Róisin O confirmed this and then mentioned that she has written songs for Danny O'Reilly.

It was clear that he was referring to the surnames, and nothing else. Nothing was "borderline offensive".

https://rte.ie/r.html?rii=b9_21337290_19148_22-03-2018_

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/ray/programmes/2018/0322/949362-ray-darcy-thursday-22-march-2018/?clipid=102764252#102764252

https://www.facebook.com/rteradio1/videos/vb.109225552468490/1690484227675940/?type=3&theater

Calling someone a "tool" and "a bit thick" isn't really inviting discussion about a radio show.

Is calling him these things, what you would describe as "original input"?

You are declaring what you think of him, but you are not entertaining any suggestions that he might not be as bad a presenter as you are implying. That is not discussion.

Event though? Wtf?

just a simple typo, easily corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Hmm... How very Ray D'Arcy of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

sligojoek wrote: »
    artvanderlay, Don't waste your time. You'll end up getting a card.

Do the cards work though? I'm fair sure hb has had many cards.

Irish Wolf wrote: »
    Do the cards work though? I'm fair sure hb has had many cards.

Is that any of your business?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Trolling trolling trolling.

I'll take a card, go away you ****ing tool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Well it is considering everytime you are back from your cards you wreck this thread on purpose.
    Now off you pop to report on and analyse every comment I have contributed or analyse and report on every thank I have commited on this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement