Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

goochy wrote: »
    Rays tells us child shrink gives advice F.0.C , nots its not Ray theres a thing called the licence fee

What does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

He says to the blind woman today, "so where do you see yourself in the future"
    Couldn't actually make it up. He is so unprofessional, with absolutely zero research into any interviewees.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    He says to the blind woman today, "so where do you see yourself in the future"
    Couldn't actually make it up. He is so unprofessional .

Not one to defend Ray but that's quite funny (although I'm sure he didn't mean it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

he most definitely didnt and its not funny. think he has asbergers or something - he also cries on radio which is unprofessional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

‘Hairdresser radio’♿️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Why do a large amount of gay men have to be so crude. Just listening to Norris there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Why do a large amount of gay men have to be so crude. Just listening to Norris there.

I turned show off after a few mins

honeybear wrote: »
    I turned show off after a few mins

Norris seems to delight in publicizing the details of the activities gotten up to.

Turned my stomach, so he did.

The luvvies were in overdrive for the Coppers show.

Aided and abetted by Raymond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Who in their right mind would want to put Alison spittle on radio,car crash radio

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Am not very sure where he is today but I keep hearing "Dueling Banjoes' in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Bernie Flynn. Great dancer. I know her since she was a child.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Am not very sure where he is today but I keep hearing "Dueling Banjoes' in my head.

Dromineer. Co. Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

several **** ups with pronunciation today - so much for Trinity !

goochy wrote: »
    several **** ups with pronunciation today - so much for Trinity !

Nothing new there mr g

Just listening to the start of the programme today. Was Ray on something? He seemed to be wired. Asking about what the biggest lakes in Ireland were he gave the impression that the answers were of earth shattering importance. Maybe because he's outside of the studio he might be losing the run if himself?

But on a more general note what struck me about listening to a short segment today was how inarticulate he is. He doesn't seem to modulate his voice in phrasing statements and questions. He doesn't seem to come across as an intelligent person as Turbridy does for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

He was doing a lot of raising the voice whenever Kildare were mentioned.

Loads of yelping, whohoing and yahooing.

Mena Mitty wrote:
    Loads of yelping, whohoing and yahooing.

Mena Mitty wrote:
    He was doing a lot of raising the voice whenever Kildare were mentioned.

Yes that's it. Like someone our of kilter. Very unprofessional. You wouldn't hear Pat Kenny behave like that. Very odd.

Yes that's it. Like someone our of kilter. Very unprofessional. You wouldn't hear Pat Kenny behave like that. Very odd.

Bit like his over the top ‘welcome’ for the Westlife guy which attracted a lot of somewhat hostile bandwidth onto me when I had the temerity to suggest it was a bit “over the top”.

This is just another example.

• Advertisement

"Dromineer across to Portumna"

It's actually North to Portumna.

Mention coming up about the Galway player who died last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Had to laugh at Ray today. He does his best and is good in some ways but off tune in many others. Seems to be doing some sort of promo for Failte Ireland's 'Hidden Heartlands' - grand, except he has a local man Eddie Corrigan, a trad musician steeped in the idea of the 'Hidden Heartlands'. The real deal. But Ray is quite rude to him, telling him only to play for 30 seconds. Eddie plays a few tunes on his box and wisely ignores him, carries on a bit longer and D'Arcy then interrupts and tells him that's longer than 30 secs etc!! Ray proceeds to give us marketing bumph about the same Hidden Heartlands. Followed by some generic mid Atlantic singer songwriter who warbles away uninterrupted for a few minutes.

I just had to laugh at the incongruity of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,436 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Keepie Uppie on the radio. He's the boy who never grew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Had to laugh at Ray today. He does his best and is good in some ways but off tune in many others. Seems to be doing some sort of promo for Failte Ireland's 'Hidden Heartlands' - grand, except he has a local man Eddie Corrigan, a trad musician steeped in the idea of the 'Hidden Heartlands'. The real deal. But Ray is quite rude to him, telling him only to play for 30 seconds. Eddie plays a few tunes on his box and wisely ignores him, carries on a bit longer and D'Arcy then interrupts and tells him that's longer than 30 secs etc!! Ray proceeds to give us marketing bumph about the same Hidden Heartlands. Followed by some generic mid Atlantic singer songwriter who warbles away uninterrupted for a few minutes.

Don't be using wurds Ray can neither ,pronounce, understand not spell :):)

BarryD2 wrote: »

Yes I kind of heard that. Radio was on in the background and wasn't paying full attention. Couldn't quite make out what he said or why.

There seems to be lots and lots of little things wrong with Ray. All saying the same thing.

And you know what yer man Aristotle said: 'It's all the little things ...'

Yes I kind of heard that. Radio was on in the background and wasn't paying full attention. Couldn't quite make out what he said or why.

There seems to be lots and lots of little things wrong with Ray. All saying the same thing.

And you know what yer man Aristotle said: 'It's all the little things ...'

Correct, all saying the same thing.

Like he called his guest Mike Denver, “Declan Nerney”shortly after introducing him.

For forks sake if that doesn’t say what his ‘talent’ is , nothing does.

Hairdresser radio!

Guy. Just. Doesn’t Have. It.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Like he called his guest Mike Denver, “Declan Nerney”shortly after introducing him.

Hairdresser radio!

Dunno whats going on with Ray this week, he seems off the ball altogether. Did you hear this " what is the front of a boat called, what is the back of a boat called"

Just strange, the show is even more weaker than usual

Hairdresser radio!

So why is he being paid so much?

He said anudder (another) twice in quick succession today. Drives me round the ......g bend. It really does. Like broadcasters (broadcasters! Yeah right) who say tree meaning three. Maybe Ray does that too? I must listen out for that.

I don't think Ray says 'look' or 'listen' when talking to guests but this is something that drives me crazy too. Usually said by GAA types (Davy Fitzgerald -'lookit...', and every GAA player interviewed and Roy Keane -'listen...' and more recently Jaqui Hurley.

Interviewing the proud father of young Sarah Healey who won gold in U18 European Championship Hurley started her interview (on RTE main nine o'clock news) by saying to him:'Look .... you must be proud ...'

I maybe paranoid but I find this phrase patronising and condescending. To me it comes across as meaning: 'Now you listen to me.'

• Advertisement

So why is he being paid so much?

He said anudder (another) twice in quick succession today. Drives me round the ......g bend. It really does. Like broadcasters (broadcasters! Yeah right) who say tree meaning three. Maybe Ray does that too? I must listen out for that.

I don't think Ray says 'look' or 'listen' when talking to guests but this is something that drives me crazy too. Usually said by GAA types (Davy Fitzgerald -'lookit...', and every GAA player interviewed and Roy Keane -'listen...' and more recently Jaqui Hurley.

Interviewing the proud father of young Sarah Healey who won gold in U18 European Championship Hurley started her interview (on RTE main nine o'clock news) by saying to him:'Look .... you must be proud ...'

I maybe paranoid but I find this phrase patronising and condescending. To me it comes across as meaning: 'Now you listen to me.'

Bobby, to use a rather crude e press ion you are ‘pissing against the wind.’

Like the I done it, I seen it crowd, the people who start every sentence with ‘so’ I’m afraid we have lost this battle Bobby.

It’s endemic,even well paid commentators are speaking like that.

The ‘look’ ‘lookit’ crowd are in the ascendency Bobby, we may as well suck it up and stop fretting, because it’s taken over in every aspect of life.

They have us beaten ,I’m afraid

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement