Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Anyone but the female who is on for him on 7th Aug...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Kathryn Shouty Thomas ???? Expect an awful lot of baby talk then

I'm sure Paraic will get many mentions too

liam7831 wrote: »

he doesn't like that don't you know!

liam7831 wrote: »

I thought her other half was called “himself” !

Here's an idea...
    Why can't Radio 1 just relay Rick O'Shea on RTE Gold for the 3 weeks from 3 to 4:30 pm??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

I thought her other half was called “himself†!

Oh yes you're right Maggie, apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Radio5

Shocked at Ray yesterday. Really failed in his role as the champion of parents by not knowing of the existence of swimming and water safety classes run by Irish Water Safety. They've been going on for many years. Amazing he did not seem to know when he was interviewing that man about saving the 2 young boys. Only heard part of it so don't know the guest's name.

Kathryn Thomas is filming Ireland's Fittest Family at the moment, filling in as host for Mairead Farrell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Ray asking guest “You breastfed her?”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Today D’arcy had John Creedon on.

The question of the Miller game in PUC came up.

Creedon was great, saw the big picture, understood the GAA stance even though he is a LOI fan.

D’ Arcy comes in with the stance that Ireland is such a small country that facilities should be shared...better for everyone!!!!

Good man D’Arcy, ok let TodayFM , Newstalk and all of RTE’s competitors descend on Montrose and demand to use their facilities....what would happen there!!

You know and I know…………………total gimp.

What a plonker.

Creedon has such a natural radio presence

• Advertisement

honeybear wrote: »
    Creedon has such a natural radio presence

Went up in my estimation after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I love J C . I'll have a listen later.

Was it at the start, middle or end?

sligojoek wrote: »
    I love J C . I'll have a listen later.

Was it at the start, middle or end?

At the end

Today D’arcy had John Creedon on.

The question of the Miller game in PUC came up.

Creedon was great, saw the big picture, understood the GAA stance even though he is a LOI fan.

D’ Arcy comes in with the stance that Ireland is such a small country that facilities should be shared...better for everyone!!!!

Good man D’Arcy, ok let TodayFM , Newstalk and all of RTE’s competitors descend on Montrose and demand to use their facilities....what would happen there!!

You know and I know…………………total gimp.

What a plonker.

Today FM etc already use some of RTE's facilities...
    Also RTE offer their facilities to anyone who wishes to use them, for a fee.

Today FM etc already use some of RTE's facilities...
    Also RTE offer their facilities to anyone who wishes to use them, for a fee.

And do Newstalk use R T E facilities?

And do Newstalk use R T E facilities?

Transmission facilities

Transmission facilities

Would that be a Government requirement or facilitated by the govt.?

That's the last question -sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Ray wouldn't understand that the RTE Newstalk thing is similar and that he is a shameless hypocrite.

He had the cheek to ask Majella O'Donnell a few weeks ago if she felt guilty for spending lots of money on her house in the midst of the housing crisis. I wish she had retorted 'Do you feel guilty as a mediocre broadcaster taking half a million of state funds during a homeless crisis even though most people think you are a sanctimonious idiot who isn't worth a tenth of that?'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I heard one of Ray's guests yesterday saying "Hope you have a great time on your holidays". To which he responded "Well I haven't told the listener that I'm going away on holidays." He has to be f**king joking. He can't be gone on holidays again? Is this the same Ray D'Arcy:

The Today FM presenter said last month that in order for Tubridy to build his audience and "make a go" of his 2fm show, he needed "to stop taking so many holidays". "He's taken 12 weeks off this year," D'Arcy said.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ryan-tubridy-hits-back-over-ray-darcy-jibe-about-holidays-28896245.html

So when you hear D'Arcy moralising every day on the station and trying to ram his virtuous opinions down your throat. Just remember, the man must be the greatest hypocrite the country has ever seen and he really shouldn't be given the position of influencing anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Ray wouldn't understand that the RTE Newstalk thing is similar and that he is a shameless hypocrite.

He had the cheek to ask Majella O'Donnell a few weeks ago if she felt guilty for spending lots of money on her house in the midst of the housing crisis. I wish she had retorted 'Do you feel guilty as a mediocre broadcaster taking half a million of state funds during a homeless crisis even though most people think you are a sanctimonious idiot who isn't worth a tenth of that?'

Wow, I missed that but such a holier than thou question is ridiculous in his circumstances. Can the management at RTE not see the endless preaching and pontificating is just damaging their brand not to mention the ruination of their policy on trying to collect the licence fee with this sort of 500k salary, endless holidays etc etc

Crazy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Wow, I missed that but such a holier than thou question is ridiculous in his circumstances. Can the management at RTE not see the endless preaching and pontificating is just damaging their brand not to mention the ruination of their policy on trying to collect the licence fee with this sort of 500k salary, endless holidays etc etc

Crazy stuff

Someone may have given you wrong information on the "ruination" of TV licence fee collection.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/tv-licence-subscriptions-rise-despite-popularity-of-digital-streaming-1.3534077

Latest figures show that 1,027,596 householders bought a licence last year – up almost 8,500 on the previous year – and marking the third year in a row of increasing sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Someone may have given you wrong information on the "ruination" of TV licence fee collection.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/tv-licence-subscriptions-rise-despite-popularity-of-digital-streaming-1.3534077

Latest figures show that 1,027,596 householders bought a licence last year – up almost 8,500 on the previous year – and marking the third year in a row of increasing sales.

Dxhound is straight out of the traps as usual to defend the overpaid 'talent' at RTE. Usually he/she resorts to pointing out typos in other people's comments but this time he/she has linked to a news story with little to do with D'Arcy and how smug he is, as was being discussed. So what if some extra people have been scared into paying the TV licence due to a threat of prosecution hanging over their head if they didn't - they didn't decide to do it because they suddenly love RTE's rubbish programming. Why don't you make a positive case as to why Ray D'arcy, Joe Duffy and Marian Finucane et al. are worth hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money instead of posting inane links? I presume it will be easy for you considering the amount of time you spend leaping to their defence.

Dxhound is straight out of the traps as usual to defend the overpaid 'talent' at RTE. Usually he/she resorts to pointing out typos in other people's comments but this time he/she has linked to a news story with little to do with D'Arcy and how smug he is, as was being discussed. So what if some extra people have been scared into paying the TV licence due to a threat of prosecution hanging over their head if they didn't - they didn't decide to do it because they suddenly love RTE's rubbish programming. Why don't you make a positive case as to why Ray D'arcy, Joe Duffy and Marian Finucane et al. are worth hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money instead of posting inane links? I presume it will be easy for you considering the amount of time you spend leaping to their defence.

Well said !
    Just because people paid their TV licence fee doesn’t mean they like RTÉ and the fat bloated salaries paid to the likes of Ray Darcy!!

I work in a community agency dealing with debt. We have a couple who both lost their jobs through serious illness/business collapse and have a very low weekly income in the last 6 months , being supplemented by community welfare officer.

They are being pursued through the courts for non payment of their TV licence. They’ll be fined even though they clearly don’t have money in their budget to pay the licence ...... or the fine.

So DXHound maybe it’s that type of coercion that’s paying the overinflated salaries of Ray Darcy , Tubridy and Marian Finucane .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

I work in a community agency dealing with debt. We have a couple who both lost their jobs through serious illness/business collapse and have a very low weekly income in the last 6 months , being supplemented by community welfare officer

They are being pursued through the courts for non payment of their TV licence. They’ll be fined even though they clearly don’t have money in their budget to pay the licence ...... or the fine.

Maybe they should get rid of their TV then...

davef1000 wrote: »
    Maybe they should get rid of their TV then...

Maybe they should . It’s not my job to judge .
    Maybe the death of a child and ensuing depressing, then a job loss means a TV would not be a bad thing for them to have ...... but it’s not for me to argue.

Bottom line is this only happened recently , in the last 6 -8 months , it’s not going on for years. They haven’t had time to deal with their grief and their changed circumstances. I’m sure in time they will get rid of their TV ! In the meantime they face prosecution, a fine, and a licence to pay . I’m sure Ray Darcy doesn’t lose much sleep over issues like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Maybe they should . It’s not my job to judge .
    Maybe the death of a child and ensuing depressing, then a job loss means a TV would not be a bad thing for them to have ...... but it’s not for me to argue.

Bottom line is this only happened recently , in the last 6 -8 months , it’s not going on for years. They haven’t had time to deal with their grief and their changed circumstances. I’m sure in time they will get rid of their TV ! In the meantime they face prosecution, a fine, and a licence to pay . I’m sure Ray Darcy doesn’t lose much sleep over issues like this.

Dont feed the troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Dont feed the troll

'Scuse me? How is my idea trolling? Seems to me if someone can't afford a TV licence then a sensible thing to do is not have a TV...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

You are missing the point here. The issue is that Darcy is damaging the RTE brand, giving people a reason to say why as I paying a licence fee for such tosh as is displayed from 3 to 4.30 pm weekdays on our national broadcaster main radio channel.

The fact that it is a legal requirement to have a TV licence is a separate issue and anyway last time I checked you did`nt need a TV licence to listen to the radio. The problem is Darcy, pure and simple,his pay and conditions are an absolute disgrace and it is we the licence payer and taxpayer who picks up the bill for his package.

Does he care, clearly not. Some of his broadcasting lately has been appalling. The week he spent on the Shannon, he spoke down to people, he embarassed shy people, he preached, he told people they should be politicians for goodness sake.

Dreadful, is he accountable to anyone I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Straight in with the baby talk. 2 weeks of this. Maaawms.

• Advertisement

Less than one minute into opening and Kathryn Thomas says its a great day
    tp come back to work as a new 'MOM' .....first of many many sprog related comments to bore us all im
    sure

thats me out for whatever length of time shes on for

Mind you I dont listen to D'Arcy either so really need to find alternative station for this
    time slot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement