Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'm off to the pub for a rake of pints. Thanks for making my mind up Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Half a million a year folks

Bet he does his "Irish" Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye thing if he gets an answer.

Half a million a year folks

And rising.

You are a w@nker Ray, wtf was the purpose of that live dialing Krispy Kreme HQ in USA, then getting the long message about call charges, then telling us the producers had already recorded it and got the answer to the question he desperately wanted answered, the pronunciation of the company which is bleedin obvious in the first place.

• Advertisement

Jim Sheridan dares tell Ray that he feels spirituality is necessary for the human spirit (got him through grief) and Ray bluntly responds “I don’t agree with you” and abruptly goes to commercial break.Ray is so infantile, like Duffy, has his way of cutting guests when he doesn’t agree with what they are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

was going to post about same comment as above poster - why did Ray go to a church for his dads funeral ?

he had the cheek to say its nice to see to go to church for the architecture - what an ass !

Jenny has to have something to do with this crusade against the church .

bring back Mooney - my hatred for Ray grows by his every word but i wont listen to Moncrieff or music in work

never listened to him before radio 1 , is it true he wasnt this bad a few years ago ? i.e Jenny is having a bad effect on him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

Ray is a reason to not give up / be sensible with alcohol - if i ever became that dull i would shoot myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭applehunter

Jim Sheridan sounded as jaded with the world as Darcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

What a boring little man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

"Going on up to the spirit in the sky"

Wait til you hear Ray's disclaimer at the end of this about there not actually being a spirit in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Jim Sheridan dares tell Ray that he feels spirituality is necessary for the human spirit (got him through grief) and Ray bluntly responds “I don’t agree with you” and abruptly goes to commercial break.Ray is so infantile, like Duffy, has his way of cutting guests when he doesn’t agree with what they are saying.

It came across as rude and not one of his finer moments, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

goochy wrote: »
    never listened to him before radio 1 , is it true he wasnt this bad a few years ago ? i.e Jenny is having a bad effect on him ?

Going back 8-10 years ago on Today Fm he was actually happy and cheerful. I used to tune into his show a lot. Not sure what the trigger was that turned him into the misery he was for the last few years on Today Fm and that he is now on RTE. The wife ?? Having children ? Mid life crisis ? Something went badly wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

2smiggy wrote: »
    Going back 8-10 years ago on Today Fm he was actually happy and cheerful. I used to tune into his show a lot. Not sure what the trigger was that turned him into the misery he was for the last few years on Today Fm and that he is now on RTE. The wife ?? Having children ? Mid life crisis ? Something went badly wrong

He’s old. He’s starting down the barrel of 60 at this stage. He should be a grandfather rather than a father to his children.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He’s old. He’s starting down the barrel of 60 at this stage. He should be a grandfather rather than a father to his children.

That's it

Certainly seems like there’s some definite grief or tragedy going on somewhere in the back of his life; maybe a relative/in-law experiencing issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Me too, used to look forward to the show every day, was the proud owner of a bobble head ray and 2 odd one out hoodies,can’t stand him now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Go back even further to the Den and he actually came across as likeable and positive. I believe it’s a severe case of MOB, (miserable old bollocks), it’s a progressive disease that strikes an awful lot of Irish males. I’m going through it at the moment myself but D’arcy seems to be degenerating at a very rapid level. It looks like when he hits fifty he’ll be at ultimate miserable old c*nt (MOC) levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

He's just a sad person. Imagine walking through life obsessing over how terrible men are, how awful alcohol is, how silly religion is, how bad for you too much sugar is etc.

I suspect he doesn't have many friends with his ignorant and boring carry on. He also feels guilty because he knows he is overpaid from the public purse so he compensates by attacking others to make himself seem interesting and worth the money. Insread of coming across as an intellect, however, he just seems like a rent a crowd goody-two-shoes bore that you would avoid in the pub (Not that you would ever find him there)

Ah you're all being very hard on Ray! I think it's more a case of some notion that to be a public broadcaster, you have to use your position to promote public agendas like health in Ray's case. To become a mouthpiece for the policy makers.

Whereas he doesn't need to go down that road. A little bit is OK, a comment here & there but not the regular daily lecture :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Ah you're all being very hard on Ray! I think it's more a case of some notion that to be a public broadcaster, you have to use your position to promote public agendas like health in Ray's case. To become a mouthpiece for the policy makers.

Whereas he doesn't need to go down that road. A little bit is OK, a comment here & there but not the regular daily lecture :)

I don't think I am being harsh. I would cut him some slack if he was decent to those with whom he disagrees. Unfortunately he is not and can be extremely dismissive, and occasionally downright hostile, to any opinion that differs from his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

If I remember correctly Ray started in October 2000 on Today FM, 10am-12pm

He is almost 20 years on the national airwaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Jim Sheridan sounded as jaded with the world as Darcy.
    Thought so too. Raging against netflix saying they are competing with RTE which is a bit simplistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Last week he said either 'I would have went' or 'I would have came'. Bad grammar is another highlight of his show. Might as well say 'I seen it last week. Very difficult to listen to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

gamecube wrote: »
    If I remember correctly Ray started in October 2000 on Today FM, 10am-12pm

He is almost 20 years on the national airwaves!

He was on RTE radio 1 and some shows on 2FM in the mid to late 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Ray says he's received many txts and emails re his discussion yesterday with three women and proceeds to read them out. Unsurprisingly each one he reads out agrees with his view and agenda!

As said before Ray can be entertaining but he really should lay off the moralising.

Entertaining in an Alan Partridgesqe way more accurately sums him up i think

I don't think I am being harsh. I would cut him some slack if he was decent to those with whom he disagrees. Unfortunately he is not and can be extremely dismissive, and occasionally downright hostile, to any opinion that differs from his own.

Well it seems that bould Ray won a Silver award for Best Magazine programme at last nights IMRO radio awards. https://radiotoday.ie/2018/10/imro-radio-awards-2018-full-winners-list/

So he must be doing something right to please the adjudicators. Just what that is currently, I can't quite figure out, as his show is patchy.

Anyway, we may expect more of the same from now on I guess, given that his preaching has been validated :)

Edit:
    Category: C4 Magazine Programme

Gold The Open Door with Ann Marie Kelly Midlands 103
    Silver The Ray D’Arcy Show RTÉ Radio 1
    Bronze Plan B Spin 1038

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Category: C4 Magazine Programme
    Gold The Open Door with Ann Marie Kelly Midlands 103
    Silver The Ray D’Arcy Show RTÉ Radio 1

So with a staff of eight/nine, a presenter being paid 400 grand, and the might of the national broadcaster behind him, he still on came second to some two bit Auntie Mary broadcasting from the shed in her back garden. Well done Ray, that surely is an achievement worthy of note.

I was pretty sure that Ray was going to win the inaugural Blathnáid Ní Chofaigh Award for his bullying of the Irish language news team.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

That Krispy Kreme segment he done on Friday made me laugh so much so I think Ray should get nominated in the Comedy segment of the IMRO Radio awards next year!

• Advertisement

Krispy KKreeme are obviously giving \RTE money. They've been talked about on every progrramme all week. If |John Creedon mentions them, that's me finished

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement