Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

gamecube wrote: »
    I think it's time RTE binned Nuacht from Ray's show, he clearly doesn't want it during his 90 minute show

It was almost 4:15pm that it aired today!

I thought I had missed Nuacht today. Got in the car at 4.05 but I stuck with it because Nuacht and sport couldn't be wrapped up in 5 minutes. The newsreader was definitely not impressed. Obviously the Nuacht team are professional and wouldn't do it but it would be gas one day as a protest, for every minute Ray was late, Nuacht was extended. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭mountain

I think it's time RTE binned Nuacht from Ray's show, he clearly doesn't want it during his 90 minute show

Its time someone in RTE pulled Darcy and his producers up on the lame effort that is made with his show, if every other show can manage to hit the news slots on time, then why cant darcy and his producers?

Is there a fear that having paid so much to bring him and his "team" across to RTE that pulling them up on things, would reflect badly on the people who hired them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

mountain wrote: »
    Its time someone in RTE pulled Darcy and his producers up on the lame effort that is made with his show, if every other show can manage to hit the news slots on time, then why cant darcy and his producers?

Is there a fear that having paid so much to bring him and his "team" across to RTE that pulling them up on things, would reflect badly on the people who hired them?

Correct

Not as if the content is so riveting that the Nuacht can’t be broadcast circa 1600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

The thing that annoys me about the Nuacht thing is that Ray will give you chapter and verse on how people should treat each other, and then doesn't even have the common decency to let the Nuacht team do their job. Nuacht was there before him and Mooney always treated them with huge respect. D'arcy has already had them moved from the 3.30 slot, and is now being passive aggressive with them - "Oh I'm really 'sorry' but were late for Nuacht for the tenth day running". Is that respect, Ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

You can say what you like about Joe Duffy, and I've said plenty, but no matter how heated a debate gets he can shut it down at 3 on the dot.
    More then once he's let a band start a song at 3.59. why can't they wait till after the Nuacht. It's not asl if they're in a hurry to get away. More often than not they play another song at the end of the show.

Don't forget it's not just An Nuacht, there's also the sports reporters as well and it shortens the time allotted for the next guest/guests.

• Advertisement

Another lecture today about people not wearing seatbelts in the back of a taxi. The show is just one long preach at this stage. Maybe they should get Bono to join host with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭goochy

Tells guest not to use any jargon , guaranteed to make her feel uncomfortable and to be watching everything she says. how rude. Someone should tell Ray not to make so many mistakes and stop preaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Rayden Witty Blackboard

could we bin ray and have one long nuacht show

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

The thing that annoys me about the Nuacht thing is that Ray will give you chapter and verse on how people should treat each other, and then doesn't even have the common decency to let the Nuacht team do their job. Nuacht was there before him and Mooney always treated them with huge respect. D'arcy has already had them moved from the 3.30 slot, and is now being passive aggressive with them - "Oh I'm really 'sorry' but were late for Nuacht for the tenth day running". Is that respect, Ray?

Did he actually say something like that?

goochy wrote: »
    Tells guest not to use any jargon , guaranteed to make her feel uncomfortable and to be watching everything she says. how rude. Someone should tell Ray not to make so many mistakes and stop preaching.

What was that all about?> I only heard bits of it. I thought I heard him calling it "Jargoneese" or something. I didn't hear the rest of the interview.

• Advertisement

didnt pay that much attention , some cork girl who is now in US , think shes launching a magazine or something - seemed nice enough - didnt deserve Rays rudeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I think he was too thick to understand what she was saying but tried to put the blame on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,632 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Its coming up to 4 exactly and instead of going to nuacht he goes to the ads,why couldn't he have gone to the Nuacht first and have the ads after,he must be doing it on purpose.
    Tommy Tiernan made him look like a fool as well at times in that interview - although that wouldn't be hard

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

It’s funny. I celebrated his leaving today fm and have never listened to him on RTÉ. It’s refreshing to see he is just as “popular” as he every was. Most sanctimonious presenter ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Its coming up to 4 exactly and instead of going to nuacht he goes to the ads,why couldn't he have gone to the Nuacht first and have the ads after,he must be doing it on purpose.
    Tommy Tiernan made him look like a fool as well at times in that interview - although that wouldn't be hard

There's lads lyin in Glasnevin that could make him look like a fool,but he need help from nobody in that department. Probably the only thing he does well...apart from making porridge,and getting paid !

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yep,it seems to me that Darcy thinks the Nuacht is an irrelevance or a nuisance. If Duffy can shut down a row at 3pm sharp surely a watery interview that Darcy has going on can be closed down

Drifter50 wrote: »
    Yep,it seems to me that Darcy thinks the Nuacht is an irrelevance or a nuisance. If Duffy can shut down a row at 3pm sharp surely a watery interview that Darcy has going on can be closed down

Fair enough if he's getting some groundbreaking revelation.

One evening he kept Lorraine Keane on till after 4 telling us how she and her father love buying and selling houses. Ad break > Nuacht @ 4.06 . Sports after that . Handy run till 4.30

Ray complaining last week wanted them to stop playing the Angelus bell because it reminded him of the sexual abuse in the Church. But he's choosing to put up Christmas decorations and celebrate Christmas.

Consistency was never his strong point.

Ask him about Duffy giving him the cold shoulder.

even Des getting fed up with Ray trying to prove him wrong - how sad.

• Advertisement

The Nuacht staff should just walk out and give him the fingers as they are passing his window.

4.05 and there's still a song on.

Ray complaining last week wanted them to stop playing the Angelus bell because it reminded him of the sexual abuse in the Church. But he's choosing to put up Christmas decorations and celebrate Christmas.

But I heard him call it Exmas the other day. And of course Jenny will be the one to decide when that Exmas Tree goes up.

I wonder does he go in for an artificial or real tree. I’m sure it’s a pretty joyless affair with the weakest lights he can find, and the fewest of them he can get away with, and a paucity of decorations on it. The advent calendar would have behind the pull open windows surprises of porridge bars and whatever tasteless treats he could find. The crackers would have no crack or craic and would be purely and minimally decorative sans hats or jokes or with his own lame made-up ones, or ones written down from Sil Fox from Funny Friday.

Norway, where I’m going around festive season has as one of its traditions Christmas Porridge. Ray would be in his element there. But the Norwegian Porridge is made from rice, even blander than the Scots variety. Dried Mutton Ribs are traditional Norwegian Christmas dinner, that would also suit Ray’s idea of a suitably dull repast, along with Lutefisk, reconstituted dried fish boiled up in formaldehyde. Joyless to the World.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

He also has form for giving out about having to work on Good Friday.

sligojoek wrote: »
    4.05 and there's still a song on.

He only introduced the song at 4:01.

The Nuacht staff should just walk out and give him the fingers as they are passing his window.

If they were around he wouldn't do it. He knows he's safe because they're based in Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

If they were around he wouldn't do it. He knows he's safe because they're based in Connemara.

It's absolutely disgusting the total disregard he has for nuacht. He should be pulled up for it, told to cop on or f off.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

FGS, today at 4.01 he says " we`re going late to Nuacht today, instead we have the Hothouse Flowers in studio and we`re going to hear a track from them. Why or why not go to Nuacht and Sport and then back to Liam and his mates. Its not as if they rushing to the airport for the next stage of the ultimate world tour. Nuacht at 16.08 and sport at 16.10.

Who is the producer of this farce of a show. Is she / he afraid of Darcy. Surely the producer is not still Anguish McNally or is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I never iisten to Nuacht myself, but it is incredibly disrespectful and rude of Ray to vary the time he hands over to them.

After all, whoever is reading that news has to be in position probably from 3:55pm or so, to make sure they are ready to go. To have them hanging around up to 4:05pm at the whim of a presenter must be a pain in the ass for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I'm with D'Arcy on this one. Why should we have to listen to totally incomprehensible babble called Nuacht? No one has a clue what it means. Should be confined to whatever offshore island it comes from.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement