Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

More Music wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, Jenny spending "more time" with the kids really bothers people.

She's not the first mother to go back to work after "spending more time with the kids".

See the problem is Jenny now works for RTE and is making a few euro. She's not going back to a "normal" job in Burger King or Lidl which wouldn't bother people.

Nobody on here gives a flying fcuk about the kids and the mothers working hours. It's jealousy over the job and money she's going back to.

She's also not the first wife/partner to work with her husband. Happens all over the country in factories, supermarkets, offices, family business and even commercial radio like Today FM.

ah, but pertinent questions are,

- was jenny in contract to Today FM, a contract that she was allowed to depart 'to mind the kids'

- was jenny about to have to sign a new contract at time of departure 'to mind the kids' that would have locked her out of joining ray as she did only less than a year later?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

my friend wrote: »

- was jenny in contract to Today FM, a contract that she was allowed to depart 'to mind the kids'

- was jenny about to have to sign a new contract at time of departure 'to mind the kids' that would have locked her out of joining ray as she did only less than a year later?
    Who cares :confused:

Not directed at you particularly, but have to say the fascination with Jenny's work life has me slightly puzzled as well.

What about all the other producers/researchers? Or is it just because she's Ray's wife?

I genuinely don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"Would you prefer willie walsh and IAG would just go away"... I think she's actually get worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

my friend wrote: »

I really don't understand people's obsession with the woman. What does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I really don't understand people's obsession with the woman. What does it matter?

I think it stuck like a bad penny, the impassioned story of leaving work to 'have more time with the kids.'
    The long enduring stories being talked about by Jenny reacting to when texters sent in their stories leaving work/not being able to leave work.
    And it's not the money that was mentioned here, as 'quality time with the kids while they were growing up was more important',
    as wasn't that the reason why Mairead left to work with Ian Dempsey to be there when Dara comes home.

So if you can imagine the reaction of Todayfm CEO of not letting Ray finish his time off, as people knew something had to give with Ray as he was losing listeners, but with Jenny was harder to take.

Good luck to them in their new job anyway, it's just left tainted memories now IMHO :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

And I suppose it doesn't help that Ray then goes on to moan about having to put his kid in a crèche.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Who cares :confused:

Not directed at you particularly, but have to say the fascination with Jenny's work life has me slightly puzzled as well.

What about all the other producers/researchers? Or is it just because she's Ray's wife?

I genuinely don't get it.

Oh no, I'd also like to see Will the under achieving over achievers contract too...

More Music wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, Jenny spending "more time" with the kids really bothers people. She's not the first mother to go back to work after "spending more time with the kids".

She probably the first mother who told everybody that she was leaving work "to spend more time with her kids" only to use to time to help orchestrate a sneaky move to another radio station... It's the sneakiness of the whole thing that annoys me... As well as the fact that RTE made this huge financial decision to take D'Arcy (and his three friends) to their station with absolutely no idea what to do with him... Unless somebody in RTE management had a great idea to get rid of that upbeat Derek Mooney Show and replace it with The Afternoon, Self Pitying Whinge With Ray ... eh, hit that button there, SIGH.. D'Arcy Show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

I never thought I'd say this but I miss Mooney and his tits :(
    The D'arcy show is just an extension of liveline at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

As CH said above, the Mooney Show was more upbeat. Ray seems to have dropped a few gears and slowed the whole thing down. I don't get to listen to much radio after 3pm but the few bits I've heard seem very dreary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If it's any consolation, come Ray Darcy time, RTE are still pushing the Mooney picture with their stream so Mooney's smiley face still appears on my internet radio during that slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

He may have a substantial following but, God almighty, anything I've heard of him with the exception of one interview has been poor.

As a presenter/communicator he is really substandard. (By no means the only one on RTE Radio 1)

The show really doesn't belong on the nation's most subsidized radio station (18 million euros of licence fee allocated to Radio 1 in 2013).

RTE should have a better committment to standards and he really doesn't measure up to what the standard should be for the country's flagship station.

Management at RTE Radio continues to chase ratings at the expense of decent, coherent programming and production.
    That said, the show it replaced was also substandard, just in a different way.

To think, there used to be a long running arts show in that slot five or six years ago.

Expunge wrote: »
    He may have a substantial following but, God almighty, anything I've heard of him with the exception of one interview has been poor.

As a presenter/communicator he is really substandard. (By no means the only one on RTE Radio 1)

The show really doesn't belong on the nation's most subsidized radio station (18 million euros of licence fee allocated to Radio 1 in 2013).

RTE should have a better committment to standards and he really doesn't measure up to what the standard should be for the country's flagship station.

Management at RTE Radio continues to chase ratings at the expense of decent, coherent programming and production.
    That said, the show it replaced was also substandard, just in a different way.

To think, there used to be a long running arts show in that slot five or six years ago.

Rattlebag, and Myles Dungan, should never have been taken off the air :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Granted, The D'Arcy Show will probably get many more listeners than Rattlebag, or any Arts and Culture Show would get in that timeslot.
    Maybe, just maybe there should be more to Radio 1 than chasing listeners with a self obsessed, semi coherent Kildare man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I like Myles Dungan as a broadcaster, not least because he has a very good voice. But I didn't like Rattlebag greatly. It did, however, have one big advantage over Mooney's and D'arcy's shows, in that it had some sort of theme. The current and recent offerings have been pretty well unrelenting and random trivia.

I like Myles Dungan as a broadcaster, not least because he has a very good voice. But I didn't like Rattlebag greatly. It did, however, have one big advantage over Mooney's and D'arcy's shows, in that it had some sort of theme. The current and recent offerings have been pretty well unrelenting and random trivia navel-gazing.

FYP

bjork wrote: »
    I never thought I'd say this but I miss Mooney and his tits :( The D'arcy show is just an extension of liveline at this stage.

I even miss Richard Collins at this stage !!!! :pac:

But that's what Sean Rocks is doing at 7pm now Heidi, would you not think? I feel that 3pm is just not a good fit for an arts show...You need something a bit more upbeat.

Happy Mooney just flashed up on my radio, it must be time.

edit: ha, I genuinely didn't mean it's time for the technical gremlins !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

hahaha!! another good start for Ray :)

btw, has Mooney another show now ?

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, come Ray Darcy time, RTE are still pushing the Mooney picture with their stream so Mooney's smiley face still appears on my internet radio during that slot.

Actually, I don't think that's any consolation at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

He sounds so uncomfortable doing this. It is so cringey. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. How has this guy managed a career on radio for the last 25 years? He doesn't project past the mic at all.

sudzs wrote: »
    He sounds so uncomfortable doing this. It is so cringey. :o

I've realised that he ALWAYS seems uncomfortable broadcasting..

Ray has had something for the last few days? He should have mentioned.

Very depressing listening, a monotone with no lift or life in the voice. Enough to make you re-tune.

He's very snarky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

take an hour and a half off- we don't mind. what's Anton doing, he seems to be able to manage to broadcast for 3 hours with flu

jesus ! between Ray and this guest :O !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

ThisRegard wrote: »
    He's very snarky.

I think he might be feeling a little under the weather. :rolleyes:

This guest should make us all feel a little more chipper! :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement