Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

goochy wrote: »
    yes like that Connors fella from love/ hate - living in cloud cuckoo land

I said this before but my blood was boiling when he was on the Late Late one night and specifically blamed the state for the fire in Carrick Mines. That being the same state that pays for everything for them, dole, medical needs, site to stay etc etc He, of course, was not challenged by Ryan Tubridy (in the same cowardly way that he didn't challenge him when he said the guards were "scum") when he said this.

And as it turns out it was not the State's fault, it was one of his own community who left a chip pan on. Where is the apology?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

You're 100% right there id say, but you gotta love how the Healy Rae stuck it to PBH. Brilliant stuff, never lost the head, just talked commonsense. PBH, like most of the rest of the media, just accepted this Lancet piece as gospel. There were a few heads discussing it on Yates, who seemed to think that in recent years the Lancet has given up objectivity, and completely embraced the vegan, anti meat outlook.
    Typical RTE/modern media approach, never letthe facts get in the way of your preconceived notions

Nah, that's way off the mark.
    MHealyRae very tetchy. Didn't actually have much to say of any relevance. Mostly it involved:
    - complaining two or three time he was insulted by PBH when PBH simply contradicted his assertion with some climate change facts.
    - saying "if you're the presenter of a show you'd need to calm down a small bit"
    - you're the presenter , you can do what you want and cut me off.

That's losing the cool - and so losing his grip on the argument. I thought PBH was unfazed by it all and didn't back-pedal.

As for MHR's commonsense - maybe that was the little homily at the end about "everything in moderation" according to his 100yo friend. It wasn't any more meaningful on a second hearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

Farcys show has been without a sponsor for 1 year now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I said this before but my blood was boiling when he was on the Late Late one night and specifically blamed the state for the fire in Carrick Mines. That being the same state that pays for everything for them, dole, medical needs, site to stay etc etc He, of course, was not challenged by Ryan Tubridy (in the same cowardly way that he didn't challenge him when he said the guards were "scum") when he said this.

And as it turns out it was not the State's fault, it was one of his own community who left a chip pan on. Where is the apology?

Unfortunately J, that kind of mindset is becoming more and more prevalent.

Am I right in also understanding that the inquest found that there was ‘drinking involved ‘.

It’s an attitude that needs to be called out, and Tubridy didn’t challenge it as you said.

Am I right in also understanding that the inquest found that there was ‘drinking involved ‘.

Yeah I'd pretty sure that that was the issue. Sounds like it, but I'm not sure if drink was actually mentioned during the hearing? I still remember the ads on TV that used to warn against coming back from the pub and leaving the chip pan on. I heard Yates yesterday asking Frank Greaney did the verdict "assign blame" in this case. Greaney of course says "Oh that would be a very harsh reading of it".

The truth is that if the chip pan was not left on, there would not have been a fire and all those people would still be alive. But the truth is not allowed anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Was drink not mentioned?

Where did I hear that he had 6 pints then?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Cans and some were smoking weed. That was in the testimony of one of the survivors. The pathologist said they all had high levels of alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

One of the two-o who made up tears-for-fears ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

1983 is 25/26 years ago.
    When he was corrected he ignored it.
    Bet he can count to 500k though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

"1983, that was 25 or 26 years ago"
    "I think it was more than that"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

1983 is 25/26 years ago.

Even with that, he's Einstein compared to Joe Duffy at de auld Matty Matticks.

Let's not be coy here. The Guard was the greatest load of cliché Paddywhackery I've ever seen. If Brendan Gleeson had not been in it, it would have got the reviews it deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Let's not be coy here. The Guard was the greatest load of cliché Paddywhackery I've ever seen. If Brendan Gleeson had not been in it, it would have got the reviews it deserved.

Correct J, about the most implausible piece of movie crap I have ever watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

my new thing is listening for about 2 minutes ray fks up badly i get a good laugh and i dont actually have to listen

today
    some actor (pompous arshle imo)
    a lad broke his neck the paramedics did it...
    ray: ah humm no actually
    actor: alleged ray
    ray: good
    ray: so did you get it in the neck after that performance
    actor: an intestring use of words there ray

radio silence

ray: back after dese..

(pompous arshle imo)

Ah yes Liam Cunningham, never liked him much either.

1983 is 25/26 years ago.

He'd be fairly quick to jump on a guest if they made that mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

(pompous arshle imo)

Ah yes Liam Cunningham, never liked him much either.

ah liam refugees welcome but not in my gaff cumningham

Correct J, about the most implausible piece of movie crap I have ever watched.

If the sacred cow wasn't in it, it would have bombed.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

1983 is 25/26 years ago.

Just listened back to the interview with Roland. it is utterly appalling stuff from Ray.

Not this "Great stretch in the evening" sh1te again

• Advertisement

"What's wrong with that poor woman?"

If a white man said that about a black woman, would he be so sympathetic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Did I hear Ray just say that his school nickname used to be 'Rainy D'Arcy'!

Well, at least he told it against himself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Brainy Darcy surely!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

The topics of concersation seem to be motivated by the newspapers. By 3pm this mornings news paper is ready for chips. All the topics have been done to death throughout the day. So often I noticed before Christmas that his topics were the same as what Ian Dempsey had covered or Dermot and dave. Is there no researching being done for different content?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Yer one there on now, who rudely went on Newstalk to rant about George Hook and then flounced off.

Every time he mentions the name of a song he mentions Spotify. He gives them more promotion than Kathryn Thomas gives the insurance company.

Absolute contempt for the Nuacht team again. As if they were interrupting his monumental interviewing. He never seems to have any problem breaking for the ads seeing as how they shovel 400K in to his bank account.

True but for once I'll go against the grain here and say I was enjoying the interview with FF. Beats Lorraine Keane telling us how much her and her father enjoy buying and doing up houses. That one went on till 4.06.

Just heard him there telling the band to get a move on because "Mary Wilson is on the way". Funny how that never bothers him when Nuacht is on the way. Mary would tear strips off him. I wouldn't care to get on the wrong side of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A couple of weeks ago on either the Saturday or Sunday sports programme they went over for the Nuacht a few minutes after four. As it turned out Máire de Bhailís was not there so it was broadcast a good bit later. I made a mental note to check the time of the Nuacht at the weekends in connection with the discussion here, but I never got round to it since.

It could be that the Nuacht is not set to appear at the top of the hour, maybe because it is also late at noon because of the Angelus. So D'arcy may just be following the set schedule. It would be unforgivable if he deliberately delayed it every single day, and I cannot see how he could get away with it.

In general RTE radio is a bit loose with News times. I am usually listening at 11 am and it can be up to a couple of minutes late. BBC Radio 2 is sometimes a bit off as well, but Radio 4 is always precise to the second.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement