Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Good man Brolly. Ask for permission first.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

did guest just say a bad word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I've switched to Moncrieff...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Why is he moaning about being sick? I know he still has to be in the office doing prep work before the show (although you'd never guess!) but he only has to be "on" for 90mins!! Surely it's not that difficult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

But that's what Sean Rocks is doing at 7pm now Heidi, would you not think? I feel that 3pm is just not a good fit for an arts show...You need something a bit more upbeat.

Yeah.. and another opening lecture today :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

sudzs wrote: »
    I think he might be feeling a little under the weather. :rolleyes:

This guest should make us all feel a little more chipper! :rolleyes:

I normally like Brolly, and it's a very good cause, but the misery baton has well and truly been passed to Darcy from Duffy.

Off to some music.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

So there's two blow holes on the RD show now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

What's with RTE and its fixation with illness and misfortune?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Have a lot of time for Joe Brolly, speaks a lot of sense. If the GAA want to compete with "professional sports", and judging by the Sky deal they do, they must start to pay players at inter county level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 clairebear1984

Ok, so I was a long time listener of Today FM Ray D'Arcy show and have switched to RTE this week - i think i've had just about enough of this incredibly dull, lifeless show. No spark and no substance and no joy to bring you through the afternoon.
    dull dull dull!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Heard a bit of the brolly interview. I was thinking jeeze Ray is letting him talk not interrupting...then he says you know you are a barrister not allowing me get a word in edge ways....pot kettle black

• Registered Users Posts: 29,196 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

But that's what Sean Rocks is doing at 7pm now Heidi, would you not think? I feel that 3pm is just not a good fit for an arts show...You need something a bit more upbeat.
    Well if they'd managed to find something up beat to put in the 3pm slot, I might agree.

I used to have a LOT of time for Derek Mooney when he first appeared on radio, but that show had descended into complete farce by the time it was pulled Derek moved on to better things.

The couple of times I've tuned in to Ray D'Arcy, the kindest thing I can think of to say about him is that HE sounds bored. Never mind the audience. He just has no personality at all (that' I've heard anyway).

After Da Lahvline, you'd need a can of Red Bull and a few uppers. Ray D'Arcy is most certainly not the equivalent!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

It just dawned on me, Ray must have thought he was being hired for 2FM, he wasn't diligent enough to contract to this then RTE management decided to throw him into Radio 1 and he's sulking since, ergo the increasingly depressed monotone

He'll continue this sulk till RTE management wilt and put him on either 2FM or TV

Then again maybe RTE management are going to torture him in broadcasting perdition for leaving in the first instance...

He'd eventually have to quit .... And possibly emigrate

Wouldn't that be hilarious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The couple of times I've tuned in to Ray D'Arcy, the kindest thing I can think of to say about him is that HE sounds bored. Never mind the audience. He just has no personality at all (that' I've heard anyway).

Ah, it's not quite as bad as that - better than the Mooney show most of the time. D'Arcy can be sharp at times if he's on the ball. He could give up the lecture though and learn how to use the equipment - there's a pregnant (and audible sometimes) pause before each ad break, news etc., ........... is it this button? Oh Yeah..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭goochy

Never been a fan of darcy was he this bad on today fm ? cant see how he every got on radio ! i loved to hate mooney but it was never dull bring back marty morrissey!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Why is he moaning about being sick? I know he still has to be in the office doing prep work before the show (although you'd never guess!) but he only has to be "on" for 90mins!! Surely it's not that difficult?

Exactly, what is with the whinging? I was all prepared to listen in, but the constant sighing, moaning, and mess-ups are too much. For someone with his years of experience in radio, it's hard to understand. Is he deliberately trying to lose listeners? :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

madmaggie wrote: »
    For someone with his years of experience in radio, it's hard to understand. Is he deliberately trying to lose listeners? :mad:

A Trojan horse sent by Today FM into the bowels of Montrose!

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

I had been viewing this thread but felt I couldn't comment as I hadn't listened to the show however I did yesterday. Much of what has been previously posted is accurate.
    It seems they have just transferred the show from Today FM as was in the hope it would work, it hasn't.
    Ray seems to have no interest at all and they are recycling people they have had on the TFM show. He also had to mention his "working class" council estate origins...
    It hit me that perhaps Mairead, who was a producer on the TFM show, might actually be the difference, she is now producing the Ian Dempsey show and I doubt he would allow an ineffective producer take over..It pains me to say this as I am no fan of hers...
    I can see a "revamp" of the production team within the year, Will shafted, Jennny retained. Won't work though.
    Ray belongs on KFM, although technical messups before the death notices would not be tolerated!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

People complaining that it can't be that hard to be on air for 90 mins with the flu :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Gits_bone wrote: »
    People complaining that it can't be that hard to be on air for 90 mins with the flu :rolleyes:

Ah welcome back, you were missed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Welcome back GB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Has he been drinking? It's milling rain here for a start...

wow he hasn't complained yet !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

the_monkey wrote: »
    wow he hasn't complained yet !!

Very upbeat compared to usual. Wonder can he maintain it beyond the song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

evilivor wrote: »

I cant get over the delivery though, it's like the conversation you would have with somebody at the dentist's office or something... As much as I hate Tubridy, he at least understands that you have to be upbeat and enthusiastic when you speak on the radio..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

evilivor wrote: »

A few hot whiskies before the show seem to have done the trick.

wait wait ... they can't get to the texts cos the PRINTER is broken ???
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

syklops wrote: »
    A few hot whiskies before the show seem to have done the trick.

Ray could have done with a few as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

the_monkey wrote: »
    wait wait ... they can't get to the texts cos the PRINTER is broken ???
    :confused:

Amazing how few people who havnt embraced the paperless office.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

People complaining that ray always complains. The irony. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement