Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Well said! I never thought of that but it seems so obvious!

Shall i eat porridge, run and pontificate and be miserable or be myself and be grand!

Bring back Mooney and Bren.

Only kiddin':D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭goochy

Ru sure ur only kidding ? Do u really think darcy is better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I think Ray Darcy's show is much better than Derek Mooney's. Derek's show used to drive me mad when it would say that it was going to feature a particular segment but run out of time to do so-don't get me started on the MONDAY quiz!!!
    One thing I don't like is knowing all the happenings in the Darcy household-this is a more common feature with other news stations presenters (e.g. Ivan Yates, George Hook).
    Think the amount of posts on boards suggests an increased listenership.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

goochy wrote: »
    Ru sure ur only kidding ? Do u really think darcy is better ?

I thought Marty Morrissey was gas myself. Easy listening

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I see Boards still haven't explained to members why they have banned discussion after the trial on this subject.
    //MOD

See here for the official response & answer so no more discussion on the topic or why it can't be discussed in this thread.

//MOD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,344 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Good man Ray. Ask yer man about the one product he doesn't have in front of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

Nody wrote: »
    //MOD

See here for the official response & answer so no more discussion on the topic or why it can't be discussed in this thread.

//MOD

Nody, we knew all this information before. And we explained that we didn't agree that it would be an issue as the trial is now over. But we were promised by mods over the weekend that administrators would be back Monday and explain why they are taking a much more conservative attitude to discussing elements of the trial still. I won't comment of course but as you can see by my posts, the link you directed me to has already been seen and even commented on by myself so I am still none the wiser.

Comment from one of your fellow mods...

"It's a safe bet that Boards has been in contact with their legal reps on this, so they'll clarify probably on Monday when they're back in the office. Until then, there's not a whole heap any of us can do, and the mods will have to continue using the current site's policy on the matter.

Anyway, thanks for replying nonetheless. I don't expect Moderators to be legal experts but I feel the Management of the site should explain clearly why any given discussion is forbidden. it prevents moderators being questioned on something they can't give an answer to.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The biggest April Fool joke of all is that Ray is being paid €500,000 a year for this shit.

Thought it had been cleared up that hes on about 350k ? He took pay cut from today fm still too much for someone with little talent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

PIORUN wrote: »
    Can't just go to Ikea without judging everyone else that's shopping there, as they have no where else to be, says he who went to buy a bed and came home with a pile of crap and then goggling the founder of Ikea to see what he's worth!

IIRC didn't Mairead & Jenny go to Manchester IKEA to buy stuff & he rang them from there, as it was before it arrived in IRL afaik, she said it was a lot cheaper than here inc. shipping, that show was more funnier!

I couldn't help thinking when Ray said 'hear this drop',
    (i thought it was another quiz :rolleyes:) it was the sound of the RTE Guide, i think it excited him more to hear it was FREE :p

As i was wondering what perks he got when in RTE, although when he interviewed BJ Novak (US Office) last Fri on his kid's book & almost screamed at the price 'it's pretty expensive @ €15.99' & then got shafted with breaking news on the trial of
    He Who Shall Not Be Named:D

• Advertisement

This interview with Stephen Rea is a bit hit & miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭PIORUN

he has a great talent for turning a possible interesting interview into a complete awkward mess....when he says "yeah" after a guest answers a question if just comes across like he has no interest whatsoever .

Feel sorry for Ray (Darcy). Stephen Rea is a difficult interviewee

honeybear wrote: »
    Feel sorry for Ray (Darcy). Stephen Rea is a difficult interviewee

Not helped by the fact that D'Arcy's interviewing "technique" lurches from bumbling to confrontational, with not much subtlety in between.

Thought it had been cleared up that hes on about 350k ? He took pay cut from today fm still too much for someone with little talent

Another cringe interview felt sorry for stephen rea and why was darcy asking him if his kids were earning ? I feel so embarrassed listening to his interviews must be because its natiinal broadcaster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

goochy wrote: »
    Another cringe interview felt sorry for stephen rea and why was darcy asking him if his kids were earning ? I feel so embarrassed listening to his interviews must be because its natiinal broadcaster

He dissed Rea at the very end, blamed the very chatty Rea for causing Ray to run out of time with his closing guests

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

bit late in the day to link to this, but it's worth a sensible chuckle maybe : Today FM to bring back Ray D’Arcy as mornings are too cheery without him

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

parasite wrote: »
    bit late in the day to link to this, but it's worth a sensible chuckle maybe : Today FM to bring back Ray D’Arcy as mornings are too cheery without him

Brilliant skit
    ‘I know I shouldn’t say it, but I don’t think Anton even likes running and there’s a nasty rumour going round that he enjoys the odd can of fizzy pop.’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"You're a Protestant. I always thought you were a Catholic"... Like something one of the kids on School Around The Corner would ask...

Another terrible interview by D'Arcy... It was like he was helping Stephen Rea to fill out an application form..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

"You're a Protestant. I always thought you were a Catholic"...

Like something one of the kids on School Around The Corner would ask...

He is dreadful, has to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

He is dreadful, has to be replaced.
    No.

No no no no no......

He's doing fine where i can't hear him:)

Genuine question, why do people listen to Ray D'arcy if you hate it so much. Moncrieff is such a more likeable, prepared and witty broadcaster.

Think he thought rea was catholic as his ex wife was ira bomber . Yes we are making his figures luk good its sad when we are listening to be annoyed rather than entertained might give moncrieff a go

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Genuine question, why do people listen to Ray D'arcy if you hate it so much. Moncrieff is such a more likeable, prepared and witty broadcaster.

Incorrect, one trick pony, says Brendan on Boards.

Well that hit you hard...eeh says Pudge, Eh Nice one Pudge,keep taking the meds there,good man yourself.

If you could listen to that for more than 10 minutes, I applaud you.

Well that hit you hard...eeh says Pudge, Eh Nice one Pudge,keep taking the meds there,good man yourself.

say-what.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

maybe stay off the meds and perhaps the booze aswell

Moncrieff is so politically correct, he makes Dil look like Rasputin; and if you want to listen to copious amounts of stupid Americans every day, Moncrieff is your man (but isn't it ironic, dontcha think?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Moncrieff is such a more likeable, prepared and witty broadcaster.

Even that stupid "It's being reported today that a man in China has killed his wife for smoking a cigarette" daily introduction is enough to turn me off the show completely... And the current ad for the show.. "Life is what happens while we are making hams" followed by Sean Moncrieff talking absolute b*ll*x which we are all meant to find hilarious... typical of the nonsense he goes on with...

Unfortunately as bad as D'Arcy is, and he is terrible for what we are paying him, he still doesnt put me off as much as that smart ar$e on Newstalk...

• Advertisement

Moncrieff is so politically correct, he makes Dil look like Rasputin; and if you want to listen to copious amounts of stupid Americans every day, Moncrieff is your man (but isn't it ironic, dontcha think?).

I like Moncrieff, thats why I would choose him over Ray D'arcy. Just because the guests happen to be sometimes American, doesn't mean the content isn't interesting! Re being politically correct, I wouldnt agree with you there. Although he doesn't try to push his values and opinions on guests/listeners like D'arcy does, he is very intelligent and has shown he is passionate about a lot of issues and views. But he tenders carefully as he realises he is a broadcaster not an interviewee.

I actually don't mind D'arcy as much as many but I know when to turn off. A lot of interviewers age greatly in their profession but he just seems to be bitter and angry on a lot of subjects (religion, politics, parenting, health system) and it stands out a lot. We all are frustrated with the majority of these issues but he would be wiser to temper his views somewhat and let a guest share their views.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement