Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

Even that stupid "It's being reported today that a man in China has killed his wife for smoking a cigarette" daily introduction is enough to turn me off the show completely... And the current ad for the show.. "Life is what happens while we are making hams" followed by Sean Moncrieff talking absolute b*ll*x which we are all meant to find hilarious... typical of the nonsense he goes on with...

Unfortunately as bad as D'Arcy is, and he is terrible for what we are paying him, he still doesnt put me off as much as that smart ar$e on Newstalk...

In fairness, she was smoking. I mean the smoker was smoking. I mean the smoker that was smoking was smoking..... Never mind. Why he shot her I can't believe! I love the way she blows................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDIq9LmTqWk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

That is absolutely hilarious!!!
    Thanks so much for posting it.
    parasite wrote: »
    bit late in the day to link to this, but it's worth a sensible chuckle maybe : Today FM to bring back Ray D’Arcy as mornings are too cheery without him

johnire wrote: »
    That is absolutely hilarious!!!
    Thanks so much for posting it.

ha, it's very good!!

‘But to give him credit, it was fearless radio, he was brave enough to complain about a cheap cup of soup, despite his massive salary and the fact that his RTÉ colleagues have all suffered pay cuts.’

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Not helped by the fact that D'Arcy's interviewing "technique" lurches from bumbling to confrontational, with not much subtlety in between.
    From the Ryan Tubridy school of interrogation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Even that stupid "It's being reported today that a man in China has killed his wife for smoking a cigarette" daily introduction is enough to turn me off the show completely... And the current ad for the show.. "Life is what happens while we are making hams" followed by Sean Moncrieff talking absolute b*ll*x which we are all meant to find hilarious... typical of the nonsense he goes on with...

Unfortunately as bad as D'Arcy is, and he is terrible for what we are paying him, he still doesnt put me off as much as that smart ar$e on Newstalk...

I wish I could thank this more than once. I don't mind the American authors but that inane 'news' bit at the beginning is pointless. If he followed it up with a cheesy pun, at least it would be 'a thing', but he just leaves it hanging there. Grrr. And those ads. It's funny how they always feature Moncrieff himself, never something illuminating or funny that a guest has said. Yaknow - on a show where the presenter is just a humble guy who lets his guests have the floor. I can't shake the feeling that he's the kind of guy who pauses after his own jokes so that the inevitable gales of laughter don't drown out his next bon mot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Genuine question, why do people listen to Ray D'arcy if you hate it so much. Moncrieff is such a more likeable, prepared and witty broadcaster.

Similar to the LLS thread to see if it gets any worse!
    parasite wrote: »
    bit late in the day to link to this, but it's worth a sensible chuckle maybe : Today FM to bring back Ray D’Arcy as mornings are too cheery without him

Thanks, that's hilarious!

The Today FM source said it was painful to see Ray leave but even they were shocked when Ray immediately brought his winning formula of grumpy radio to RTÉ.

Well done to TodayFM, tongue in cheek, as they complained earlier that Ray brought almost everything over including Emailbag & Pixie :p:D

I know it's radio, but you can almost hear Anton's smile when he talks, very refreshing in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm with United Chester Men, when Moncrieff is on at the same time, I don't understand why anyone would choose D'arcy over him. As an interviewer, he's second to none. Asking questions that actually display a knowledge of the topic being covered and that follow on organically from what the interviewee just said. Also, the rapport he has with his regular guests is obvious to hear and those spots, like the child psychologist or the foodie parts, never sound tired.

Cribbing about Americans being interviewed seem completely inane considering the topics that might be covered, from politics to science to history and everything in between. Give me that over the likes of Des Bishop and PJ Gallagher being wheeled out on a monthly basis or yet another bout of whinging about sugar.

Tbh, I only look in on this thread occasionally to confirm I'm not missing anything.

My original point wasn't really "such and such is better" as it is all a matter of opinion but rather that perhaps listening to someone you hate isn't the best idea! But I completely agree with the wage issue. Something must be done to make better use of licence payers money rather than ridiculous 350,000 contracts. I see, for example, RTE may be losing the 6 nations in a year or two due to money. They already don't host World Cup nor Heineken Cup. I'm not even a huge rugby fan but that is pretty depressing.

At the moment RTE's homegrown "flagship" shows are the likes of.... "The LLS", Fair City, The Voice and Republic of Telly and all are very low quality. The latter had great potential to be a satirical look at the unintentional humour Irish tv gives us 9and lets just say there is plenty!) but anytime I watch it is just full of unfunny silly sketches with deadwood like blathnaid ni Coughdrop, that Salpa one and Jennifer Maguire.

If you are going to charge a mandatory fee for a licence there should be some accountability, shouldn't there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

f*ck off Ray !! non essential staff me hole!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Ray starts today's show whining that he has to work tomorrow
    'Last in worst treated' his words.

Rays narcissism knows no bounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Nuacht on RTÉ1 is a waste of time, if you can only speak Irish stick to RNaG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ray, you're crap at politics. Would you have the same clamber if things worked out differently, the ECB rate hit the roof and those on fixed rates were laughing? It's the gamble people made when deciding what mortgage they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Funny how Ray wants the day off tomorrow for a church holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Gosh it must be his time of the month, giving out about the nuacht at 3.30, having a go at Enda, Michael noonan over variable rate mortgages, mentioning an event that was predominantly hosted and advertised by today fm, and being "last in worst treated".

Nice one ray, need to change the station quicker after liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭goochy

Tried moncrieff wasnt impressed where do i go now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

goochy wrote: »

Maybe to a computer that doesn't keep double posting…

goochy wrote: »

This station has had great reviews, I say great reviews!

1326938723_logo-shading-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Nuacht on RTÉ1 is a waste of time, if you can only speak Irish stick to RNaG.

I'd love to know how many people this actually USEFULLY informs ... I´m not talking about who can understand it - I can even understand bits and pieces - but who does this news actually useful to ? My guess is between 0 and 3 ...and closer to the zero end of the scale ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

the_monkey wrote: »
    I'd love to know how many people this actually USEFULLY informs ... I´m not talking about who can understand it - I can even understand bits and pieces - but who does this news actually useful to ? My guess is between 0 and 3 ...and closer to the zero end of the scale ..

It's useful to the execs in RTE because they can write it off as the station's Irish language content without having to put much thought into it.

Probably useful to the newsreader because they're getting paid to read it.

Maybe Ray can pop out for a quick slash or cup of coffee while it's on?

Seriously though, it's just a way to pay lip-service to the Irish language that doesn't require effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

my friend wrote: »
    Ray starts today's show whining that he has to work tomorrow
    'Last in worst treated' his words.

Rays narcissism knows no bounds.

Maybe he wants to spend more time with the kids.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

A thought for Ray & the producers...

Ray complains that An Nuacht @ 3:30 breaks his stride mid interview, there's a very simple way to deal with this..

Keep rolling with the interview, let the producer slide to the news and when it's wrapped they can slide the interview back in, all it requires is a distinct tone with a quick audible explanation, a break to a sound track or ad break would then allow a return to 'live' live broadcast

No need to whine, use technology as your pal Ray ;)

(That is, Ray doesn't need to break the interview, he should roll on, let the desk guy dial it in, when Nuacht ends the desk slides it back in with perhaps a quick overnote) seriously , it's so simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

A thought for Ray & the producers...

Ray complains that An Nuacht @ 3:30 breaks his stride mid interview, there's a very simple way to deal with this..

Keep rolling with the interview, let the producer slide to the news and when it's wrapped they can slide the interview back in, all it requires is a distinct tone with a quick audible explanation, a break to a sound track or ad break would then allow a return to 'live' live broadcast

(That is, Ray doesn't need to break the interview, he should roll on, let the desk guy dial it in, when Nuacht ends the desk slides it back in with perhaps a quick overnote) seriously , it's so simple.

I cant understand why stations are so obsessed with news having to be on the hour and ending good interviews or debates for news bulletins which can be done 5, 10 or 15 minutes later if an interview is going well or going somewhere especially when its a topical issue

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

neris wrote: »
    I cant understand why stations are so obsessed with news having to be on the hour and ending good interviews or debates for news bulletins which can be done 5, 10 or 15 minutes later if an interview is going well or going somewhere especially when its a topical issue

I think it's more to do with advertisements more than anything else. The ads normally follow the bulletins.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    It's useful to the execs in RTE because they can write it off as the station's Irish language content without having to put much thought into it.

Probably useful to the newsreader because they're getting paid to read it.

Maybe Ray can pop out for a quick slash or cup of coffee while it's on?

Seriously though, it's just a way to pay lip-service to the Irish language that doesn't require effort.

It's a complete waste of time as RTÉ funds RNaG, it's the same as if Today FM cut over to 98FM for a what's on slot. This and the RTÉ supporting the XYZ adverts need to be looked in to as to what allows them to advertise commercial enterprise seemingly for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭goochy

Its not like in rays case they are cutting into a good interview anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ray complains that An Nuacht @ 3:30 breaks his stride mid interview

it's so simple.

^^^
    lol!

I've been in pubs in Gaeltacht areas where RnaG is constantly on. When the locals speak English so I can keep up they genuinely do find it difficult. The language isn't dead this side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

^^^
    lol!

I've been in pubs in Gaeltacht areas where RnaG is constantly on. When the locals speak English so I can keep up they genuinely do find it difficult. The language isn't dead this side of the country.

Agree 100%, my cousin is married to a guy from carraroe in connemara and at their wedding all his crew spoke Irish. They found it difficult to speak to us. The language is very much alive.

do the 6ft crying truckers and mammys dancing around the kitchen still listen to Ray?

neris wrote: »
    do the 6ft crying truckers and mammys dancing around the kitchen still listen to Ray?

Sorry, did you mean "6ft frying truckers", or is that just a Spoonerism?

• Advertisement

no there used to be hoardes of 6ft truck drivers pulled in at the side of the road crying their eyes out when ray read a "sad/emotional" story on todayfm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement