Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Doesn't RTE staff have the cushy numbers.Starts a new job in January, then is allowed to swan off to paris with his wife for a race.

If I did that, I don't think I could take time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's just a day off, any normal company would have no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

musicmammy wrote: »
    Oh Great!!
    Don't you just love Katherine.
    I think she should be on the radio more often.
    (And the TV)

She would give Aine Lawlor a close run in a fake laughing competition.

I'll give her that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Is Ray deliberately making this tourist thing sh1t
    He does sound like he like it

Sure it's named now?

I think now, he just got up out of bed, he sounds sleepy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

jimmyw wrote: »
    Doesn't RTE staff have the cushy numbers.Starts a new job in January, then is allowed to swan off to paris with his wife for a race.

I'm pretty sure if somebody has a cushy number or not they are entitled to holidays.

We all "swan off" when we go on holidays. Or at least that's what's the middle aged begrudgers say.

Don't most people take their partner/husband/wife to Paris? Not much point in taking your sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

no issue here. Would be worse if they organised an OB from a hotel in Paris with the licence fee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ha ha ha .

zig n zag slaggin him off right from the get go.

:D

That's not really Zig

Did someone make a mistake with the number of fingers?

• Site Banned Posts: 1 Ivog

Really? If you started a job in Jan when do you think you could take holidays ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Ivog wrote: »

You're legally entitled to 1.6 days every month, so Ray would have accrued that at this stage.

These dogs and people are amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

These dogs and people are amazing

Some might call them Superstar Dogs...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,584 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ivog wrote: »

Unless I worked for a tyrant, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

reg114 wrote: »
    You're legally entitled to 1.6 days every month, so Ray would have accrued that at this stage.

How many hours a day is he putting in? Because I think a lot has to do with that as well when it comes to some of us being entitled to swan off for a day here and there. If he was putting in more than 4 hours per day I'd be surprised, especially with that army we're paying he has behind him and his show. With the way he comes across on his show one could be forgiven he tips on his Raleigh racing bike in at a few minutes to three every day and heads off again the second the off air light turns red.

reg114 wrote: »

How many hours a day is he putting in? Because I think a lot has to do with that as well when it comes to some of us being entitled to swan off for a day here and there. If he was putting in more than 4 hours per day I'd be surprised, especially with that army we're paying he has behind him and his show. With the way he comes across on his show one could be forgiven he tips in to Donnybrook on his Raleigh racing bike at a few minutes to three every day and heads off again the second the off air light turns red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

"Okay.. eh, press that button there.... eh... that's it .. "

Three months later and he still cant press button to start a soundbyte.. You could train a monkey quicker than D'Arcy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

How many hours a day is he putting in? Because I think a lot has to do with that as well when it comes to some of us being entitled to swan off for a day here and there. If he was putting in more than 4 hours per day I'd be surprised, especially with that army we're paying he has behind him and his show. With the way he comes across on his show one could be forgiven he tips on his Raleigh racing bike in at a few minutes to three every day and heads off again the second the off air light turns red.

He still would have accrued enough time to take a day off. And when you go on a day's break do you describe yourself as swanning off? If his employer is happy for him to have a day off, what difference does it make to you? Sheesh, the things that some people find to be bitter about is amazing…

He still would have accrued enough time to take a day off. And when you go on a day's break do you describe yourself as swanning off? If his employer is happy for him to have a day off, what difference does it make to you? Sheesh, the things that some people find to be bitter about is amazing…

Suppose alright, as he said or alluded to himself what's it got to do with anybody how much he earns as well.

I don't mind about the holiday but I would regard all license payers as employers of those who work for RTE. Same way civil servants are employed by the tax payer.

When he was on todayfm we had no say, now we have a right to have an opinion

• Advertisement

Suppose alright, as he said or alluded to himself what's it got to do with anybody how much he earns as well.

He probably got the best deal for himself, fair play to him for that - it's generally how I approach wage negotiations in my own life, and seeing as RTÉ say the sponsorship they receive for the show more than covers his salary then it makes no odds to me.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/ray-d-arcy-s-salary-covered-by-sponsorship-rté-chair-says-1.2082698

He probably got the best deal for himself, fair play to him for that - it's generally how I approach wage negotiations in my own life, and seeing as RTÉ say the sponsorship they receive for the show more than covers his salary then it makes no odds to me.

You'll probably beg to differ but in my opinion RTE which is funded by my tax money could have done better, i.e got a better presenter for a salary that wouldn't have cost the guts of half a million and still have pulled in the same sponsorship money.

You'll probably beg to differ but in my opinion RTE which is funded by my tax money could have done better, i.e got a better presenter for a salary that wouldn't have cost the guts of half a million and still have pulled in the same sponsorship money.

If you know a better presenter that will attract the same sponsorship money, you should write into RTÉ and tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

"Okay.. eh, press that button there.... eh... that's it .. "

Three months later and he still cant press button to start a soundbyte.. You could train a monkey quicker than D'Arcy...

And you'd get an awful lot of bananas for a half a million €

If you know a better presenter that will attract the same sponsorship money, you should write into RTÉ and tell them.

I do (but that wouldn't be hard for me considering I think he's one of the worst in the business at the moment) and I'd be pretty sure that on top of their salary that their spouse and a small army of background staff wouldn't be part of the set up as well. However I feel it would be a pure waste of time writing to an organization like RTE with my suggestion. No matter how good one is at their job 'keeping it country' has always being their way.

If you think there isn't another presenter in the land that would do a better job than Raymond when it comes to one pressing buttons, two presenting and three drawing in enough sponsorship money to cover their salary well then would you not think it's a sad sate of affairs? Do you actually rate him that highly?

I do (but that wouldn't be hard for me considering I think he's one of the worst in the business at the moment) and I'd be pretty sure that on top of their salary that their spouse and a small army of background staff wouldn't be part of the set up as well. However I feel it would be a pure waste of time writing to an organization like RTE with my suggestion. No matter how good one is at their job 'keeping it country' has always being their way.

If you think there isn't another presenter in the land that would do a better job than Raymond when it comes to one pressing buttons, two presenting and three drawing in enough sponsorship money to cover their salary well then would you not think it's a sad sate of affairs? Do you actually rate him that highly?

Honestly, I think he's pretty crummy at his job but he's a big enough draw that the likes of Volkswagen are willing to plough a lot of sponsorship money into his show. Volkswagen don't care about keeping it country - they only care about the potential to generate revenue through their association with the show. If you know other presenters that have that pull, irrespective of how good they actually are at their job, you should let RTÉ and Volkswagen know.

Pity the lot of sponsorship is largely only covering his salary though. The only winner here is Raymond. It's well time RTE started thinking outside the box now.

Give someone knew a crack at it, give someone else a chance to build up a reputation for themselves. It wouldn't cost a fortune, probably the same as what Raymond and his crew when it's all broken down (sponsorship money in for the show minus salaries paid out) and I'm sure the Irish public/tax payers would appreciate that far more than what's going on at the the moment.

Pity the lot of sponsorship is largely only covering his salary though. The only winner here is Raymond. It's well time RTE started thinking outside the box now.

Give someone knew a crack at it, give someone else a chance to build up a reputation for themselves. It wouldn't cost a fortune, probably the same as what Raymond and his crew when it's all broken down (sponsorship money in for the show minus salaries paid out) and I'm sure the Irish public/tax payers would appreciate that far more than what's going on at the the moment.

Which would be grand if RTÉ wasn't dependent on the advertising revenue, as opposed to the sponsorship money it also gets, the show generates. Putting in unknown quantities that could potentially bomb is not a good gamble for the broadcaster. Unfortunately, RTÉ play it safe because it ensures the best return for them financially. If you don't like Ray, don't tune into him. He's dependent on listenership figures to keep him in the position that he's in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Joe went over, expect Ray to complain ...

• Advertisement

darcys on the death trip topic aswell

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement