Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aiidee

Ray has completely lost the plot!! Bosses in RTE should be down on him like a ton of bricks! He seems to forget he is getting all angry and pissy and swearing on live radio... Wonder what uncle gaybo thinks of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

You have summed it up in one post....well done!

my friend wrote: »
    Rays quite the angry man

His whining about 'this country' is wearing thin, he must have some depressive disorder as he's incapable of appreciating how good he's got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I have to say for all the money thrown at the show it has to be one of the worst if not the worst produced, presented and generally put together show on national daytime radio.

It honestly is car cash radio at times with a hose who can't run the desk, producers ( yes more than 1 ) who should insist that

1. He doesn't run the desk
    2. That interviews are timed so they don't have to break for nuacht
    3. That those helping the show sports/nuacht etc are respected by the host.

Overall its seems that the team in total are in retirement mode and have moved to Radio 1 to make it happen. They seem to just want to serve up a below par product while watching the ticking clock towards 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Any word yet on what the Will guy said/did today?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Will someone tell me where that Will fella sprung from?

What is his "claim to fame" as it were?

You know what it reminds me of?

Gaybo's interface with Duffy back in the day?

Anyone ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

The little girl with scoliosis was speaking, so I presume that Will did something ... either a gesture or some sort of interruption.... that caused D'Arcy to give out... But I'm pretty sure it was something to do with the fact that Will wasnt prepared to let the girl finish what she was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Anyone ?

Ray used to ****e on that in a previous life he was an ex rte employee who was a researcher on the late late, now i guess he,s just like ray, an ex rte prodigal somthing or other

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I said it in an earlier post, but I don't think D'Arcy is comfortable in this afternoon "graveyard" slot at all.

It's probably beneath what he thinks his talents are worth!

Anyway, he would need to up his game now that the JNLR is out, and let the listener enjoy this afternoon slot. A bit of gardening stuff, cookery, travel, that kind of thing. Dreaming and escapism for the listener, instead of having to endure a moany groany "entitled" person.

I have switched the dial now. I refuse to be depressed by someone who is earning €500k supposedly to make me a happy listener!

This is just mad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Bring back Mooney. At least there was a bit of life about him!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Bring back Mooney. At least there was a bit of life about him!

Now I have to be careful here.

But there were too many Ghey squeals from his mates about Eurovision and carp like that on his show for my liking :D

If he had stuck to nature and nurture, it would have been brilliant. But he didn't do what he is best at.

So no, I do not want Mooney back. He is as big an egotist as Mr. Darcy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Okay I've had another go at designing The Ray D'Arcy Show mug

82YZ4J.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

82YZ4J.jpg

But it's not cracked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

evilivor wrote: »
    But it's not cracked?

Ray and craic don't really go together anymore;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

82YZ4J.jpg

Should it not be half empty also?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,345 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

And should the mug part not be flying off the handle?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

How tall is the mug?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

BaZmO* wrote: »
    How tall is the mug?

You can't see in the picture but it's seated on a very high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

You should include a copy of the Leaving Cert results and Psychology degree just in case any professors or doctors fancy a cuppa, let them know they are dealing with someone of at least equal intelligence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

But how will we know Ray used to play a bit of rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

I have to say for all the money thrown at the show it has to be one of the worst if not the worst produced, presented and generally put together show on national daytime radio.

It honestly is car cash radio at times with a hose who can't run the desk, producers ( yes more than 1 ) who should insist that

1. He doesn't run the desk
    2. That interviews are timed so they don't have to break for nuacht
    3. That those helping the show sports/nuacht etc are respected by the host.

Overall its seems that the team in total are in retirement mode and have moved to Radio 1 to make it happen. They seem to just want to serve up a below par product while watching the ticking clock towards 65.

This is very well phrased.

If you exclude the couple of songs he plays, time taken out for the 2 news breaks, reading texts from the public and the 'guess the mystery voice competition', they're just responsible for producing an hour or a little more of decent radio in the afternoon.

However...the first 15 minutes tends to be a complete waste, usually taken up with some trivial whinge about something of very little consequence followed by a song before the first item appears between 3.15pm and 3.20pm.

Under those circumstances, it's completely unprofessional to express annoyance over having to go to Nuacht for a scheduled news item and then compounding it by apologising to the guest and expressing further disdain for the 'offending' news obligation - this is public service broadcasting, after all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Anyone ?

I think he does a bit of research/Googling on Ray's behalf behind the scenes, no need whatsoever for him to be heard on the live side of things.

Duffy's role was slightly different with Gaybo, his brief was to act as more of a buffer between Gay and the proletariat :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I dislike Darcy more than the average person but does anyone else feel this thread has gotten a little bit mean of late, we've got people suggesting he's depressed etc. was it this bad on today fm? Is it the licence fee that changes things?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Look it's easy listening after Joe Duffy, passes time in the afternoon, better than Derek 'eurovision' mooney any day of the week,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Horse84

chris1970 wrote: »
    Look it's easy listening after Joe Duffy, passes time in the afternoon, better than Derek 'eurovision' mooney any day of the week,

Your definition of "easy listening" is interesting to say the least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

chris1970 wrote: »

No. Its not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Field east

I find the presenter obsessed with sex on his show and it is quiet often out of context. Is it because he is aiming the programme at a young age cohort or is it for other reasons? He exploits every opportunity towards that end. All he wants is one word or a situation, etc, and away he goes. He can be quiet crude at times. Sexual connotations are floated at every opportunity. He would Brendan o Connor a good run for his money on the same subject.
    Also , The show is not helped by a sucking noise. I wonder if it is the quality of the equipment used to present the show. It happens at times when Ray is speaking and does not sound right. It should not be there. It sounds like as if someone is sucking air in under pressure to clear food caught between ones teeth.
    Wonder if I'm the only one exercised on the above two points. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Field east wrote: »
    I find the presenter obsessed with sex on his show and it is quiet often out of context. Is it because he is aiming the programme at a young age cohort or is it for other reasons? He exploits every opportunity towards that end. All he wants is one word or a situation, etc, and away he goes. He can be quiet crude at times.

He's immature.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aiidee

I wonder if any of the "team" read these message boards. They could really do with taking on board issues raised!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

aiidee wrote: »
    I wonder if any of the "team" read these message boards. They could really do with taking on board issues raised!

Mooney started out well but by the end he was shoving a personal agenda down our throats. I can understand why he was exercised about it but it became his overriding concern. Replacing him by another force-feeder of dogma didn't help anyone.

Darcy's show has such a negative vibe that he's depressing half the nation. The nuacht whinge would've been a disgrace on high school radio but for the national broadcaster it beggars belief.

I turn off now after Ronan Collins. I sometimes left RTE1 on to roll my eyes at Duffy and entertain the dog, but now I switch to Sunshine or put on a cd in case I end up listening to gRay by accident. Even the dog is happier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

He's just started an interview at 3.27!! Who decided that was a good idea? Surely he could have read a couple of texts or done a bit of waffle and start the interview after the nuacht......as they'll only be getting into it when it has to be interrupted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement