Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭goochy

this is a new low for ray so unprofessional . if he hadnt got a big salary he would probably need to use their services!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Shiity thing to do if it was agreed upon beforehand not to go into her marital status.

The comments on that story are all pretty much damming of him. Then again they tend to hate everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Why did he bring her on - to belittle her.
    Theres only room for Ray on the high horse.

I heard an interview he did the other day with colm o gorman - you could easily confuse who was spokesperson for amnesty international in ireland and who was the interviewer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Only see updates on here to see what Darcy is doing, havent heard him thankfully since he moved to RTE. But he did a similar interview not long ago on Todayfm with another sex worker, and he was totally out of line then too. He said to the woman twice that he just wanted to give her a hug, as if to say your poor thing you, and she was obviously very upset that he would be like that. He also made up lots of "facts", one of which I cant exactly remember, but it was something like 90% of prostitutes have been raped. I thought at the time it sounded high, I googled it, and none of the surveys or reports, even the most blatantly biased ones came anywhere near Rays "facts". His reasearch consists of his thoughts, not actual representation of the facts. Glad I dont have to listen to his smugness and forced opinions and absolute dour personality anymore. Sounds like nothing has changed at all for him anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Brewdog wrote: »
    I listen Jeremy Vine on BBC Radio 2 every lunchtime and he interviews people from all walks of life in a non judgmental way, this makes for great radio and he really gets people to open up sometimes. He is a brilliant host with empathy and can handle heavyweight or lighter material.
    I never usually listen or watch anything on RTE but I happened to catch the Ray D'arcy interview with the sex worker while in the car and was flabbergasted at his lack of professionalism. His attitude to this guest was condescending and he didn't have the skill to conduct a non-judgemental interview as he could not hold back his personal feelings which were obviously negative to his guest. As a result she became defensive making for a poor interview.
    It sounded like the puritanical attitudes of 20 years ago . I won't bother listening again.

A very good summary of this appalling interview.

I know he's been struggling in this spot but I thought today he reached a new low.

The absolute nadir was having continually interrupted her with assertions from various reports, she had the nerve to quote back from one of her own...to which he again interrupted her with something like - "you just made that up, off the top of your head"!

When she clarified which report she was quoting, he just grunted and moved on without trying to establish any objectivity on the points that were being raised.

Not for the first time, he was just totally unprofessional, mired in the navel of his own prejudices and way out of his depth...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

I thought he was pretty good, tbh. I mean, he wasn't impartial but I'd say he represents the views of most of the people listening. And when it came down to her producing evidence that prostitution is all right, like, she wasn't exactly convincing - for a woman with a law degree.

She came on spoiling for a fight. Sounded very arrogant and unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Callan57 wrote: »
    Ray had facts & challenged her supposed "statistics" which IMO she did not appreciate. It seemed to me that she came on expecting to lash out her "statistics" and did not expect to be called on them.

At the end of the day, if it's such a great "job" how come she wouldn't want her daughter in it? Her daughter has had a sheltered upbringing and she didn't see the irony in that!
    Her comment about soldiers going to war was just downright pathetic & just went to prove how shallow her argument was.

Her comments about rape statistics in Sweden were very misleading also. She tried to make out there were more incidents
    of rape occurring as a result of new anti-prostitution laws.
    Ray had to point out to her that the fact that there were more people reporting rape contributed to the statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

I have been a long time defender of Ray especially when he was on Today FM however he really outdid himself yesterday. Regardless of what your views may be on the sex worker it was quite obvious from the minute she came on that he was disgusted with what she did.
    The worst part of the interview was that he would not accept her research but took the oireacthas report as gospel. She may have done more effective research than the government, how does he know? It has been a running theme for probably the last 2 years that he has a certain view of the world and if you don't conform to that viewpoint well, you are not relevant and should be dismissed out of hand. There are never two sides to a story with Ray, he is right full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ray: "here's a load of stats that are written down so must be true"
    Woman: "Here's some stats that counter your stats"
    Ray: "yeah but they're just stats"

and his main trait asking questions while making a noise that shows he's disgusted with the person ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Puddle Q

Ray: "here's a load of stats that are written down so must be true"
    Woman: "Here's some stats that counter your stats"
    Ray: "yeah but they're just stats"

and his main trait asking questions while making a noise that shows he's disgusted with the person ....

Half his problem is that he is used to being pandered to and agreed with by his tame and greedy chimps in the studio. They have been doing it for years now. It's a "you're always right Ray" echo chamber. He can't see why or how anyone could possibly have a different opinion to him.

• Advertisement

To contrast to yesterday he's having someone on today that he can suck up to. In fairness the man is a legendary mountain runner from Kerry but I can hear the groans already when he returns to the subject of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

brooke 2 wrote: »
    She came on spoiling for a fight. Sounded very arrogant and unpleasant.
    It didn't sound like that to me. In fact, Ray was being so unpleasant that I was surprised that she didn't haul him over the coals.

surprised that she didn't haul him over the coals.

He's certainly being hauled over them in the twittersphere.

so who have RTE replaced Brendan with??? some kind of saturday night ant and dec style show, with a zany fun presenter???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I wonder if the bosses in RTE are lapping up this controversy?

They're probably of the opinion that it doesn't matter if Ray is any good at his job just so long as he's getting people talking about the show.

You'd probably forgive him if you thought he was so pugnacious just to get listeners, but I doubt that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Haha. MNL. Maximum Negativity Level.

Gift grubs latest on Ray.

great start from ray ....

"so .....ehhhhhhhhh you are a prostitute"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

He has a habit of bringing on easy targets. The time him or his show on TodayFM rang up Healy-Rae only to hang up on him a minute later was another embarrassment of an interview on his part.

I'd love if it backfired and he brought on someone someday that was smart enough to turn the tables and made absolute bits of him before proceeding to hang up on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Just had a listen, started fine but as it went on I don't know how she kept her cool. His attitude was appalling. His mmm's after each of her answers were so condescending that it beggared belief. If she had been standing in front of him and punched him in the face it would have been well deserved. He dismisses her stats but harps on about his own that he read 'last night and this morning'.
    As somebody else said, it reminded me of Michael Healy Rae, that was the last time I was this annoyed with him.

Just finished listening to it in full. What a condescending pr1ck! How can he be happy with that interview. He read one report and he suddenly becomes an expert. :rolleyes:

Ironically for a guy that says he hates the Catholic church he goes on like a pious parish priest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ah tom jones.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Oh such a condescending piece of ..........

Haven't listened to RD for a long long time now.
    With all the talk of this recent interview I had to listen back to it.
    He still has the attitude of 'listen to me - I'm right'. It's a wonder he didn't tell her to get out and start jogging.

I have to admire the sex worker for keeping her cool and not wanting just to walk out of the interview (which of course Ray would have lapped up because it would probably had made him feel like his attitude was right all along).

Oh such a condescending piece of ..........

Haven't listened to RD for a long long time now.
    With all the talk of this recent interview I had to listen back to it.
    He still has the attitude of 'listen to me - I'm right'. It's a wonder he didn't tell her to get out and start jogging.

I have to admire the sex worker for keeping her cool and not wanting just to walk out of the interview (which of course Ray would have lapped up because it would probably had made him feel like his attitude was right all along).

I especially liked the bit where she said that no matter what her daughter did in life, she would always love her.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Had a listen to the podcast, its the first time I've listened to the little man with the big opinions since he got the door at today fm . Absolutely nothing has changed he doesn't listen to answers and just waits to ask his next question , totally under researched , judgmental and sanctimonious. That woman is vastly more experienced on this topic than Raymond and yet he speaks down to her as if he is the expert. The man is a complete prat . How can RTE be seriously considering this guy for a prime TV slot, unless its a circus type programme and he's the clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Horse84

I hate to say it but a previous poster is correct in my view when they say Darcy, production team and indeed RTE in general don't give a fiddler's about the man's undoubted incompetence. They are all rubbing their hands with glee at the controversy this stirred up yday. Just think of the amount of podcast downloads generated by people like myself who are not regular listeners.
    It galls me that this guy is getting licence payers money to act like this but I fear we might only be encouraging it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Horse84 wrote: »
    I hate to say it but a previous poster is correct in my view when they say Darcy, production team and indeed RTE in general don't give a fiddler's about the man's undoubted incompetence. They are all rubbing their hands with glee at the controversy this stirred up yday. Just think of the amount of podcast downloads generated by people like myself who are not regular listeners.
    It galls me that this guy is getting licence payers money to act like this but I fear we might only be encouraging it.

They might not be rubbing their hands for to long though and the majority of those non regular or previously lost listeners of his in recent times won't be breaking their necks trying to download many more of his podcasts again.

D'arcy has been on the long slippery road for a while now. People are seeing through him, getting fed up of him, his presenting style or personality and opinions. He's like a dyeing wasp and his new venture on TV will be the death of him. The sooner that TV show starts up the better.

D'arcy has been on the long slippery road for a while now. People are seeing through him, getting fed up of him, his presenting style or personality and opinions.
    He'll have a long career ahead of him on RTE so.

The last text before the 4pm news yesterday by an absolute *********....."my daughter climbed carrauntohill when she was 9 i suppose she can write a book and be rich and famous too"

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's a very durty song. Never heard it before.
    Come here, come there, come with friends, come wherever you want

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Mammy on Darcy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement