Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

In reality, a very small minority of people will get wound up by the mistakes he makes on the desk. A majority of people couldn't care less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Synode wrote: »
    In reality, a very small minority of people will get wound up by the mistakes he makes on the desk. A majority of people couldn't care less

True that.

Was just thinking, since the show is only 90 mins, he only has to find half the amount of content each week. So could be a good thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

xMallx wrote: »
    No 1k a day cash give away like on the Mooney show
    D'arcy's Dosh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Skid X wrote: »
    That coming from a man who got elected to the European Parliament, but has hardly left this country since

I'm as far from a Ming groupie as you could get but in fairness his child has been very, very sick since birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

xMallx wrote: »
    No 1k a day cash give away like on the Mooney show

Wouldn't be surprised if text revenue had fallen enough to make it unviable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Management in RTE really must have been wondering what they've done, as Ray proceeded to describe how he deftly tried to AVOID all his old RTE colleagues on the way in to work his first day... What an attitude to bring with you to your new job!.. You'd think from the way he was speaking that he had been kidnapped by ISIS and was being forced to host the show..

He then goes on to tell us some interminable story about pennies and brown coins that would have put Father Stone asleep.. And how much exactly do you have to pay someone to be able to press the right button to start the ads.... Absolutely pathetic, it sounded like he spent the previous 15 years away from RTE working as a ticket inspector..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Bazatron

What is a "Hi presenter" post?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Bazatron wrote: »
    What is a "Hi presenter" post?
    Leave Gerry out of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭knickerbocker

Management in RTE really must have been wondering what they've done, as Ray proceeded to describe how he deftly tried to AVOID all his old RTE colleagues on the way in to work his first day... What an attitude to bring with you to your new job!.. You'd think from the way he was speaking that he had been kidnapped by ISIS and was being forced to host the show..

He then goes on to tell us some interminable story about pennies and brown coins that would have put Father Stone asleep.. And how much exactly do you have to pay someone to be able to press the right button to start the ads.... Absolutely pathetic, it sounded like he spent the previous 15 years away from RTE working as a ticket inspector..

Ad breaks are controlled by the transmission suite, not by the presenter.

Marty Morrissey is not a recognised or experienced radio presenter, and D'Arcy (or his team if you want to blame them) has already made more technical mistakes today than Marty made in his first month.... It's a few buttons and faders, and you'd swear it was a nuclear submarine he was trying to run ...

• Advertisement

Generally not on a self-driven desk although I've no personal experience of RTEs setup on a station with ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Surely after whatever number of years doing the "other" show, he would have got the hang of the controls and he would have at least a better handle on another stations equipment, but to be unable to still not do it is unprofessional at the very least.

Yeah its hardly the crime of the century, but it makes you out to be a bit of a tit.

I bet most of us would have it worked out in a week surely:) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I'm looking forward to some more " ummm tap tap no.. Tap tap , sorry wrong . Tap .

lol, and the first thing he did when he came on air was this ... ha ha ha

L1011 wrote: »
    Generally not on a self-driven desk although I've no personal experience of RTEs setup on a station with ads.

And this is where I declare that I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

SPY!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

wrong buttons straight away
    tomglsn wrote: »
    Jesus he begins with a sigh. What a way to start.
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    he sighed! First thing he did was sigh.good god
    First words "ah it works" great start
    We don't give a crap Ray,sorry you found your way though
    sudzs wrote: »
    Bored already..... :rolleyes:
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz oh Jesus its hospital radio!
    snubbleste wrote: »
    Was Ray always like this or he been touched?
    Foggy Jew wrote: »
    Good grief. Is this for real?
    This is nearly as bad as Duffy
    prodsc wrote: »
    Turned it off already!
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    This is satire yeah? Please tell me it's satire.
    baldbear wrote: »
    Jesus Jenny for the love of god stop him!!!
    So after 105 meetings this is the best you can come up with.......
    Yakuza wrote: »
    He's on the air 5 minutes and he's already giving out...
    Fookin thicko
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Ah c'mon, really, is this for real and not a spoof ?
    Good lord. He's had a whole month to prepare and his opening monologue is about soup and cents?? Two equipment use failures in the first 5 minutes too. As Ray himself would say 'sigh'
    Oh my god it doesn't Matter what station hes on! He cannot work the effin equipment
    Frog Song wrote: »
    Wtf?!! My 2 cents is this is the worst start imaginable! I tuned in for a nose....I'll be on my way back over to Moncrief again!
    snubbleste wrote: »
    How much are we the licence payers forking out for him again?
    case885 wrote: »
    Absolutely terrible, what were RTE thinking getting him on?
    eviltwin wrote: »
    Wtf was that boring opening monologue? Step it up Ray.
    troched wrote: »
    10 minutes in and talking about... 1 cent and 2 cent coins. How riveting.

Miscuing the first song too, he's beyond parody at this stage.
    Foggy Jew wrote: »
    This isn't Ray Darcy. It's Oliver Callan, doing a big p*ss-take. It must be.
    And once again he pressed the button but didn't have the fader up:rolleyes:

My 5 year old could run a desk better ( sorry for mentioning the word run )
    Annnnd the multiple mistakes per show has already started. I'm out.
    chuckles30 wrote: »
    How many times has he mentioned 'my wife Jenny' or 'Jenny my wife' today? I used to like Ray, but the last couple of years have gone downhill. Thought it might be new station, new show, but it's the same show on a different station. Maybe if he let Jenny & Will speak properly on air it might help...
    Synode wrote: »
    I missed dipping in to this thread and laughing. Welcome back Ray

Christ.

I thought there'd be no d'arcy haters now seeing as they were all "forced to listen at work". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Was just going to ask what happened to the last hour, i had to go to the doctor's, not cos of Ray, but had an appointment anyway :D

But GitsBone has succinctly highlighted it for me! :eek:

Its ironic that Ray started on Transfer Day as he was the biggest move afaik since Pat moved/defected to Newstalk, which happens to be upstairs from Todayfm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Christ.

I thought there'd be no d'arcy haters now seeing as they were all "forced to listen at work". :rolleyes:

You actually went to the effort of creating that post ?

It's great though that you're apparently a hater when you point out mistakes, teachers must be awful people altogether.
    But GitsBone has succinctly highlighted it for me! :eek:

I don't think succinctly means what you think it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

nc6000 wrote: »

I've also noticed that Mairead is no longer following Jenny on Twitter and vice versa.

You're wrong there, they are both still following each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You actually went to the effort of creating that post ?

It's great though that you're apparently a hater when you point out mistakes, teachers must be awful people altogether.

I don't think succinctly means what you think it does.

I meant to say succeeded, succs to be me now :o:)

• Advertisement

Just adds to the illogicality of RTEs operations then.

L1011 wrote: »
    Just adds to the illogicality of RTEs operations then.

Can you clarify/expand on your comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I missed the first ep

It doesn't appear on the playback feature

Anyone know where you can listen to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Funny thing is an RTE Sound Operator is probably rostered and available, but the arrogant D'Arcy won't use one, even though one is still sitting around, and probably being paid for his/her shift.
    He probably should've used one, even for a few weeks.

The opening minutes of the D'Arcy show yesterday were like a send up of himself, it was so bad and he had the cheek to tell us he was working on it since January 5th!!!

After that though, the content was definitely much better than any Mooney show of the last number of years and for that reason it'll do just fine in that slot.

He's not the greatest talent available to RTE, in my view, certainly not 500,000 Euro worth.
    There are probably much better and cheaper presenters sitting inside and outside Montrose who'd do a better job in that slot.

Not true in radio, sure didn't even old Gaybo tell him which button to press on Radioman to go to a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

No matter how bad is he he has to be better than Derek Mooney,where did he end up,did they just make up a job for him.

Could they not just have terminated his contract.

The really worrying thing is where is shouty Brenda going to end up and the loud woman from Louth with the ghastly accent,Eanna.

I hope they arent coming to a radio show near me ever again.

ads20101 wrote: »
    I missed the first ep. It doesn't appear on the playback feature

I was interested to see if they would put it up to be honest...

Expunge wrote: »
    Funny thing is an RTE Sound Operator is probably rostered and available, but the arrogant D'Arcy won't use one, even though one is still sitting around, and probably being paid for his/her shift.
    He probably should've used one, even for a few weeks.

The opening minutes of the D'Arcy show yesterday were like a send up of himself, it was so bad and he had the cheek to tell us he was working on it since January 5th!!!

After that though, the content was definitely much better than any Mooney show of the last number of years and for that reason it'll do just fine in that slot.

He's not the greatest talent available to RTE, in my view, certainly not 500,000 Euro worth.
    There are probably much better and cheaper presenters sitting inside and outside Montrose who'd do a better job in that slot.

His costs are more than covered in sponsorship and advertising.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    His costs are more than covered in sponsorship and advertising.

That's what we will be told by the executives responsible for doing the deal.
    It may well be correct over the number of years of his contract, we will never know for sure, however, because that information is never broken down and made available to the public. It is 'commercially sensitive'.

It's the same with many of the 'Star' contractors. We actually don't know if they pull their weight or not.

I didn't say D'arcy wasn't popular, just that he probably isn't the best presenter available, but that's only my view.

• Advertisement

Expunge wrote: »
    That's what we will be told by the executives responsible for doing the deal.
    It may well be correct over the number of years of his contract, we will never know for sure, however, because that information is never broken down and made available to the public. It is 'commercially sensitive'.

It's the same with many of the 'Star' contractors. We actually don't know if they pull their weight or not.

I didn't say D'arcy wasn't popular, just that he probably isn't the best presenter available, but that's only my view.

If he's the most popular presenter and gets them big figures than he trumps a better presenter that doesn't get the same figures.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement