Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

honeybear wrote: »
    Thought the same thing

And she is shamelessly flirting back.

Ah jesus, get a room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

The cackle

This actress is so fraudulent with her humility

Not knowing what she acted in or when it's out etc

I googled her picture, she ain't pretty enough to have that despicable laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,352 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Jedward alert!!!

• Advertisement

Googled her there. I would.

I bet she is filthy.

Ray off to a bad start with this interview

Ray in retreat , he hasn't researched this properly plus the fact he's poorly informed, Can't see him saving it.

The guest is exasperated, a transition year student would ask better questions

Guest hands Ray a head on a platter re Anglo angle but Ray fails to venture and plods to the next prepared question

Talentless Ray, talentless

No need to break yet Ray cuts him off in a dismissive manner (15:40)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Really disrespectful with the big sigh across what your man was saying at the end there. Then played the jingle as your man said goodbye. The only time Ray perked up was when the guy mentioned his first bonus.

Ray sounds bored, back to moncrieff with me

Jedward - and Ray is alive

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

So, I haven't listened to the show since its first week on R1. I decided to dip back in by listening to the podcast of yesterday's show.

Ray sounds... sad. The opening segment of the show was so utterly lifeless, no energy. He sounded miserable and honestly, if I were in an office and that was coming on the radio at 3pm, just as I was beginning to tire from a day's work, I can't imagine I'd be listening long.

The Eddie Hobbs interview was toothless. It came across as if Ray was reading questions off of a sheet, having done no research himself and not knowing any of the facts or having any insight. To be honest it reminded me of my early days in student radio when I was doing a CA show and my co-host would bring up a topic I knew very little about so I'd just spout the first bit of glorified comment-section-on-the-Journal-top-comment line to give the impression I knew at least something.

And that "Have you ever tried camel's milk?" at the end. *facepalm* Seriously, how is he STILL this bad at judging the tone of an interview? ANYONE could have told you that Hobbs was going to shoot that down. Throughout the interview Hobbs was being very matter-of-fact. And anyway, YOU'RE INTERVIEWING THE PRESIDENT OF A POLITICAL PARTY FFS! Try and treat it with a modicum of respect.

Mrs. Brown's Boys interview was decent. But started off with typical D'Arcy sh*te-ery with his "Are you related to Brian Cowen?" question. I mean, my lord, who asks that question in an interview on a radio show with hundreds of thousands of listeners? I mean, fair enough if your researcher had found out that he was, and Ray was asking to try and get a topic going, but Jesus Christ.

Stopped after that.

Obviously this is just a vertical slice of the show, and possibly this was an off day. But to me, he seems to be on a downward spiral. Any hope I'd had of a bit of life returning to him because of the move is pretty much gone. The show sounds so stilted and I cannot understand what the point of having Will and Jenny there is if they're not contributing on air. IMO, that was a large draw to the Today FM show, the banter between the four of them in studio. Christ, Mairead would have had a field day with his camel milk nonsense yesterday.

TL;DR, I won't be tuning in again until I randomly get curious in a month or two. JNLRs are going to be interesting. This is either a stop-gap until Ray moves to another slot, or this was horrific recruitment by RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I agree with you wnolan that Ray sounds like he's not enjoying this gig at all but he's been like that for 5 or 6 years now since he's decided to be the populist conscience of the nation, I was interested in the part of the interview with Hobbs where Eddie claimed some sort of vendetta against him by RTE and seemed to have decent anecdotal evidence to back it up. The Today FM Ray would have loved it but he was forced onto the defensive on the part of his employer.
    His bad manners and ennui seems to be extending to the lighter interviews now as well, I listened to his interview with the guy who was explaining that cheaters website hack the other day and Ray actually seemed to be annoyed with him half the time, it's just how he is now and probably can't even help him, those sighed yeahs when he wants to interrupt he speaker drive me mad.

I only heard a little of the Ruth Bradley interview today which has been mentioned, I thought she sounded like a great girl, very attractive as well:o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    So, I haven't listened to the show since its first week on R1. I decided to dip back in by listening to the podcast of yesterday's show.

Ray sounds... sad. The opening segment of the show was so utterly lifeless, no energy. He sounded miserable and honestly, if I were in an office and that was coming on the radio at 3pm, just as I was beginning to tire from a day's work, I can't imagine I'd be listening long.

The Eddie Hobbs interview was toothless. It came across as if Ray was reading questions off of a sheet, having done no research himself and not knowing any of the facts or having any insight. To be honest it reminded me of my early days in student radio when I was doing a CA show and my co-host would bring up a topic I knew very little about so I'd just spout the first bit of glorified comment-section-on-the-Journal-top-comment line to give the impression I knew at least something.

And that "Have you ever tried camel's milk?" at the end. *facepalm* Seriously, how is he STILL this bad at judging the tone of an interview? ANYONE could have told you that Hobbs was going to shoot that down. Throughout the interview Hobbs was being very matter-of-fact. And anyway, YOU'RE INTERVIEWING THE PRESIDENT OF A POLITICAL PARTY FFS! Try and treat it with a modicum of respect.

Mrs. Brown's Boys interview was decent. But started off with typical D'Arcy sh*te-ery with his "Are you related to Brian Cowen?" question. I mean, my lord, who asks that question in an interview on a radio show with hundreds of thousands of listeners? I mean, fair enough if your researcher had found out that he was, and Ray was asking to try and get a topic going, but Jesus Christ.

Stopped after that.

Obviously this is just a vertical slice of the show, and possibly this was an off day. But to me, he seems to be on a downward spiral. Any hope I'd had of a bit of life returning to him because of the move is pretty much gone. The show sounds so stilted and I cannot understand what the point of having Will and Jenny there is if they're not contributing on air. IMO, that was a large draw to the Today FM show, the banter between the four of them in studio. Christ, Mairead would have had a field day with his camel milk nonsense yesterday.

TL;DR, I won't be tuning in again until I randomly get curious in a month or two. JNLRs are going to be interesting. This is either a stop-gap until Ray moves to another slot, or this was horrific recruitment by RTE.

Both.

The leap card is contactless, which means you dont have to take the card out of your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Lost & Found FM again, has he checked Dunnes Stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Lost & Found FM again, has he checked Dunnes Stores?

Just turned on the radio and was about to switch on Movies and Booze and caught the end of that segment.

I'd love if somebody text in to tell the guy to say a prayer to St Anthony. Poor Ray would have exploded.

BPKS wrote: »

I'd love if somebody text in to tell the guy to say a prayer to St Anthony. Poor Ray would have exploded.

Someone did.

This laughing yoga segment is totally suitable for radio. Not.

Ray: Theres one minute left....

I think thats what they call the nick of time Ray, my finger was hovering over the 'X' to close the window.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

I haven't listened for ages, but was in a place with the show on a few days this week.
    Its got worse (if that was possible)

1. Ray still cannot figure out the buttons (after the news, now which one is it??? I mean, how hard is it to learn a few buttons and which one to press?

2. Stiil trying to pretend he is in his thirties as he has small kids
    3. Still thinks we might be vaguely interested in either what he does at the weekend or what his kids do or say
    4. I HATE the way he hums to the end of some of the ads when he comes back off break
    5. That mailbag thing is just so 70's and just plain stupid.
    6. Will has the most more boring voice I have ever heard on radio

At least I didn't hear wifey chipping in (or maybe I thankfully missed those bits)

Anyway, I honestly don't know anyone who listens to the show anymore , even my parents in their 80's cannot stand him and stick to lyric.

That laughter thing today was beyond embarrassing.....it was just plain stupid radio.

Surely, surely the national broadcaster can offer us something better than this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

D'arcy kids update...yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

D'arcy kids update...yawn

Phew...I'm not the only one fed up with the name checking

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tom and kate go mad on the celery again?

Kildare FM

... Christ Moore yah yah yah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I've downed this show many many many times BUT really enjoying the Feile chat.

I was side stage for Chirsy's set. People go on about Ed Sheeran and wow how did one fella with a guitar entertain a whole stadium.............well Christy did it in 1991 !!

Some of my happiest memories grouping up were at Feile !

The 45 min que for a Supermacs
    The 2 litre bottles of linden village cider
    The crazy camp sites

And because of a few contact i had, the fun backstage meeting the likes of Blur, House of Pain, Cypress Hill etc

Great times !!!

my friend wrote: »
    Kildare FM

... Christ Moore yah yah yah

2 callers for mystery voice, both from Kildare

Must be the only active listeners

honeybear wrote: »
    Phew...I'm not the only one fed up with the name checking

Wont be tuning in again after last week, but yes, the droning on about his kids is just plain weird. Who else on radio does it? No one I can think of. Ray needs to learn the golden rule ' no one is in the slightest bit interested in your kids except yourself and possibly (but to a lesser degree) their grandparents. '

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Wont be tuning in again after last week, but yes, the droning on about his kids is just plain weird. Who else on radio does it? No one I can think of. Ray needs to learn the golden rule ' no one is in the slightest bit interested in your kids except yourself and possibly (but to a lesser degree) their grandparents. '

Alison Curtis also it....A LOT!!! But I think that's kind of her thing. Doesn't make it any less annoying but she's not a moral crusader though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Alison Curtis also it....A LOT!!! But I think that's kind of her thing. Doesn't make it any less annoying but she's not a moral crusader though.
    Organic food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Organic food.

Dunno. I don't listen to her that much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement