Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,204 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Gawd, what a waste of radio space this interview is.

That woman sounds FAR too much like Twink for comfort :eek:

Off to Lyric for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

'Who do you think you are' for radio , I'm out

They're bereft of ideas and originality

I'm getting the feeling Ray is looking for a buy out on his contract

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I really like this story

Cecilia's hubby comes across very well

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

my friend wrote: »
    'Who do you think you are' for radio , I'm out

They're bereft of ideas and originality

I'm getting the feeling Ray is looking for a buy out on his contract

He's definitely 'treading water'.

For the size of wedge he's pulling, he needs to freshen up his act pretty sharpish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

He's delighted his soup has been reduced by 2 cent , more subsidises the licence fee payer has to pay for , the rest of us pay in full for our lunch .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Is this the film show ?

Braveheart since the start here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

There must be nothing else to drag onto the show except this ****e.

Sean McGinley at one time made Ray sound silly, something about the film getting an oscar.

Ray did well in the ratings-I think he deserves some credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

honeybear wrote: »

Certainly puts the constant trolling and abuse in this thread into perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Yep, he's up 7,000 book on book. Fair play.

As always in these situations though, early books are nothing to shout about. Pat Kenny would probably tell you that right about now...

The next 3 books will be the test. He has 190k listeners, which is 22k less than he had on Today FM. So if he can build on this arguably inevitable increase this book, then fair play. I won't understand it, but then I don't understand Liveline's appeal, and that's one of the most popular shows in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭goochy

figures only good as us fools keep listening to see how bad it gets and also because theres nothing else on at that time ! no other reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Careful now. Only negative Darcy comments are permitted here along with general personal bullying against him;)

I'm actually not a fan of his show just amused at how all the 'haters' are gone so quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Oops69 wrote: »
    He's delighted his soup has been reduced by 2 cent , more subsidises the licence fee payer has to pay for , the rest of us pay in full for our lunch .

He is also a licence fee payer, so is subsidising his own lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

goochy wrote: »
    figures only good as us fools keep listening to see how bad it gets and also because theres nothing else on at that time ! no other reason

Moncrief is on at that time, streets ahead of Darcy imo

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Yeah that's right, there is absolutely nothing else on at that time or an OFF button.

If figures were down it would be "the people have spoken", "bad move by RTE" and so on.

It really pains some to see people getting on or having even just a bit of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rosie Gardens

Moncrief is on at that time, streets ahead of Darcy imo

Couldn't agree more. Love listening to Moncrief in the PMs, I know he has a far longer show, but with one or two subject exceptions, Moncrief is far more neutral, has relevant questions and far more variety on his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

To Simon Delaney:

"How much do you you earn for 2 weeks in theatre?"

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Yep, he's up 7,000 book on book. Fair play.

As always in these situations though, early books are nothing to shout about. Pat Kenny would probably tell you that right about now...

The next 3 books will be the test. He has 190k listeners, which is 22k less than he had on Today FM. So if he can build on this arguably inevitable increase this book, then fair play. I won't understand it, but then I don't understand Liveline's appeal, and that's one of the most popular shows in the country.

the best thing about liveline and the reason I started listening is the craic on the boards thread during it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Is it possible that many of us enjoy the show but dislike the presenter and his personality? Either way there isn't an awful lot of choice at that time of the day except music. Moncrieff doesn't appeal to the masses (lowest common denominator;)) like D'arcy will and Mooney fúcked it up for himself by going overbard on the LGBT issues and wildlife, nobody is gonna put up with that for long. The format of the Ray D'arcy show is fine, now if only Anton Savage would double job;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Is it possible that many of us enjoy the show but dislike the presenter and his personality? Either way there isn't an awful lot of choice at that time of the day except music. Moncrieff doesn't appeal to the masses (lowest common denominator;)) like D'arcy will and Mooney fúcked it up for himself by going overbard on the LGBT issues and wildlife, nobody is gonna put up with that for long. The format of the Ray D'arcy show is fine, now if only Anton Savage would double job;)

Completely agree re Anton Savage! A revelation in the morning slot- Todayfm are struggling big time in the afternoons. Louise Duffy is awful and Dermot and Dave are brilliant, but I don't hear them too often

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

lambayire wrote: »
    To Simon Delaney:

"How much do you you earn for 2 weeks in theatre?"

Jesus wept.

What was wrong with that?

Delaney was going on about the impecuniary aspects of acting, so I though it was an obvious question to ask, and of interest to the listener?

And he prefaced the question with a "if you don't mind me asking".

Cmon man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

More Music wrote: »
    He is also a licence fee payer, so is subsidising his own lunch.

Yes, but he gets some of it back and I cannot avail of the same opportunity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Apart from the capital cost of the telly , annual licence fee and the electricity used it is pure unadulterated FREE drama /comedy -both the Duffy and D'Arcy shows.just consider the errors made, the slurping, the tones, the dialect, the frivolous nature of the topics discussed and trying to make them serious, the country continues to fall to pieces yet the economy is top of its class in Europe, etc, etc, etc. both program's - when I need a bit of a laugh- provide me with endless hours of entertainment even though both presenters try their best to come across as being very concerned and very serious and dealing with very serious matters in the main
    All the posters to this thread have contributed to the above so keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Certainly puts the constant trolling and abuse in this thread into perspective.

No it doesn't.....Ray got a bounce when he moved to RTE. These JNLR's mean nothing to himself and anton...the next ones are important. His increase has little to do with quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

digzy wrote: »
    Careful now. Only negative Darcy comments are permitted here along with general personal bullying against him;)

I'm actually not a fan of his show just amused at how all the 'haters' are gone so quiet.

Once again there's no bullying against him going on here.

Don't be talking ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Cecilia's hubby comes across very well

Saw that programme 'The Long Shot'.
    He did not have much success with his horses. Apparently Bertie introduced him to the world of horse racing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Aw, come on! What about Seán Moncrieff??? He can be brilliant at times.
    However, I find myself increasingly turning the dial back to RTE when Ray D'Arcy comes on. Guess there are a few thousand more like me, going from the figures!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Once again there's no bullying against him going on here.

Don't be talking ****e.

Look in the mirror!

• Advertisement

David Brophy sounds very similar to Simon Delaney

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement