Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Looks like we're not the only ones who thought his first show was truly awful http :// www .irishexaminer. com/ireland/ray-darcy-in-the-soup-as-first-day-at-rteacute-proves-testing-310386.htmll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Mary63 wrote: »
    No matter how bad is he he has to be better than Derek Mooney,where did he end up,did they just make up a job for him.

Could they not just have terminated his contract.

The really worrying thing is where is shouty Brenda going to end up and the loud woman from Louth with the ghastly accent,Eanna.

I hope they arent coming to a radio show near me ever again.

Not the easiest thing to do, ask Rory McIlroy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

Gits_bone wrote: »
    If he's the most popular presenter and gets them big figures than he trumps a better presenter that doesn't get the same figures.

Well, alas, that's true and when he starts to get in excess of 240,000 listeners in that slot, which was around the high water mark for Mooney, then it will be a success and if they keep the content in and around what they had on day one, I'd say that'll happen soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mary63 wrote: »
    Could they not just have terminated his contract.

I believe he's staff, which means that he's there till retirement or paid off redundancy. Most of the presenters are contractors, and contracts can be non-renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Don't know about all you lot but I'd be only too delighted to pay €1.02 for a bowl of soup,and I wouldn't quiz poor Margaret about the €0.02. No wonder he's loaded,I wonder how much a dinner would cost,and is the RTE canteen open to all. If so anyone want to go for lunch with me,at those prices I'll pay :)

• Advertisement

Yes, I though that jarred a bit for an opening monologue as well, Odyssey.

Here's a guy poached in a well publicised half a million Euro deal, has his wife and another fella parachuted in at expense to the public broadcaster, much to the fury of the existing production staffers in the Radio Centre.

A great deal of expense and possible industrial relations trouble has been risked on this guy and then he goes on about RTE's subsidized soup???

Expunge wrote: »
    Yes, I though that jarred a bit for an opening monologue as well, Odyssey.

Here's a guy poached in a well publicised half a million Euro deal, has his wife and another fella parachuted in at expense to the public broadcaster, much to the fury of the existing production staffers in the Radio Centre.

A great deal of expense and possible industrial relations trouble has been risked on this guy and then he goes on about RTE's subsidized soup???

Is this really the case? I never heard anything about it, any links?

I read about it in the Daily Mail (where else!), but here's a link I found just now....

"RTE radio staff ‘very angry’ over Ray D’Arcy bringing his own backroom team to new show"

http://www.evoke.ie/showbiz/ray-darcy-rte/

It seems like the existing staffers have effectively been told that you're fine for working on ****e like Mooney or Arena, but when we need something to succeed, we will get proper production to do it.

Mabey if they hadn't made such a pigs ear of an effort on Mooney, these same staff could be trusted on D'Arcy's new show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There was a picture of all the background staff on the show that I saw yesterday and my God there was an awful lot of them.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    There was a picture of all the background staff on the show that I saw yesterday and my God there was an awful lot of them.

Did you notice anyone who could work a radio mixing desk among them?

• Advertisement

Found it.

ray-darcy-rte-radio-1-c-630x426.jpg

That's a lot of people for a show that's on air for 90mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can you clarify/expand on your comment?

Illogicality of the process, not of you having done it

Having a self-drive studio where the jock doesn't control the ads is both creating extra, unneeded work and just asking for failures.

Is that unfunny former BBC Northern Ireland TV host John Daly I see in that photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Found it.

ray-darcy-rte-radio-1-c-630x426.jpg

That's a lot of people for a show that's on air for 90mins.

I don't think that many people work on Xfactor

can anyone familiar with radio show set ups suggest a breakdown of what the roles might be, presenter, producer, researcher(s).....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A lot of them seem to have back trouble.

I don't think that many people work on Xfactor

2 more and they could have their own Ray D'Arcy Show football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

ThisRegard wrote: »

well look at 1 person in the pic who isnt crouching or sitting against a desk. doesnt want anyone looking taller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

How could he have that many people around him and still make a balls of it?

neris wrote: »
    well look at 1 person in the pic who isnt crouching or sitting against a desk. doesnt want anyone looking taller

LOL, that thought struck me afterwards. It's like North Korea where the great leader is made to look, well great, in everything. Here all the staff crouch down so as not to make him self conscious about his height.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

This is a documented phenomenon http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/05/08/the-female-group-photo-dip/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's 3 more people than were on Today FM.

I'd imagine the breakdown has 4 researchers, producer, presenter, sound engineer and probably people answering phone calls.

But who knows, it's possible some of those aren't full time or are general RTE staff who just happen to be rostered on during the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Beef wrote: »
    How could he have that many people around him and still make a balls of it?

It's a natural phenomenon for him

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    It's 3 more people than were on Today FM.

I'd imagine the breakdown has 4 researchers, producer, presenter, sound engineer and probably people answering phone calls.

I'd say the sound engineer must be scarlet being associated with that, even if he didn't have any control over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,939 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

His costs are more than covered in sponsorship and advertising.

Hmmmm, sounds like typical public service soundbite.

I am assuming there was advertising revenue generated by the Derek Mooney show? And Derek Mooney remains on the RTE payroll (as does Brenda Donoghue).

So what you have to try figure out is the difference in advertising revenue RTE used to received for the Mooney Show (Y) and for what they receive now for the new D'Arcy show (X) greater than the salaries of Ray, Janny and Will (Z)?

Or is X-Y greater than Z:D

I doubt it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

I don't ever hear people complain about John Giles not knowing anything about modern day football or not even researching the team he is analysing.

Yet D'arcy talks through what buttons he's pressing and he's lambasted.

I don't ever hear people complain about John Giles not knowing anything about modern day football or not even researching the team he is analysing.

Wut?

This is a Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 thread, not a Ray Darcy fan club get together. He's a public figure, has made comments about the public service broadcaster in the past, and now works for them again.

He's open to criticism (within reason). Who cares what other people do or do not know.

Does Giles admit to not knowing anything about modern day football and does he admit to not researching the teams.

Does he ask the people around him in the studio what he should say next about the football?
    I don't watch him much so I don't know.

Expunge wrote: »
    Does Giles admit to not knowing anything about modern day football and does he admit to not researching the teams.

Does he ask the people around him in the studio what he should say next about the football?
    I don't watch him much so I don't know.

Just because someone admits something doesn't mean they should be constantly bombarded with insults.

And also Giles does. He'll say "Well Liam would know more about it than me".

• Advertisement

This is a Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 thread, not a Ray Darcy fan club get together. He's a public figure, has made comments about the public service broadcaster in the past, and now works for them again.

He's open to criticism (within reason). Who cares what other people do or do not know.

It's not about Ray D'arcy. It's about Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1. Why not set up a thread discussing your personal hatred for him? The levels of comments in here are borderline Youtube.

Can't even come in here and see what other people think of his segments, it's just full of "bloody thicko - buttons - sigh - runners". Get over it ffs. It stinks of jealousy of people that a man who isn't perfect at his job is getting 500k a year.

Listening figures, when they come out, will be well and truly waved in ye'r faces.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement