Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

Mike Murphy seems to have completely forgotten that he tried a broadcasting comeback about 3 or 4 years ago but the program got cancelled after 6 episode's. http://www.rte.ie/tv/thebiginterview/programmes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

goochy wrote: »
    murphy had an affair with his younger producer on rte and ended up marrying her. he does sound quite smug.

I found myself at the next table to Mike and his date in a restaurant in Westport many years ago.

She didn't seem to be much younger than him, but that didn't stop Mike slobbering all over her.

Someone should tell him that PDA's get increasingly more uncomfortable for those around you the older you get...

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

goochy wrote: »
    he has done loads of things but got bored with everything after a while. pity the rest of us with our humble jobs

ray is from same town as jedward . enough said !
    Jedward are from Lucan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

People while I know these threads tend to wander more than a lost sheep in the New Zealand mountains can we please return to the topic at hand of Ray Darcy's radio show? You know the reason for the thread to exist etc.

Cheers.

//MOD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Maybe I'm naive but could that letter guy be innocent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Anyone else notice that Nuacht has been moved to 4pm?

I thought this post was taking the pish because Ray goes to Nuacht so late, but I happened to be listening at three and it's true. "Next news in this language at five".
    I couldn't believe he threw a strop to get it moved. Or couldn't cope with accommodating it. Pfft.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

tampopo wrote: »
    I thought this post was taking the pish because Ray goes to Nuacht so late, but I happened to be listening at three and it's true. "Next news in this language at four".
    I couldn't believe he threw a strop to get it moved. Or couldn't cope with accommodating it. Pfft.

What kind of hold does D'Arcy have over RTE?? For a third-rate broadcaster, he seems to be able to get his bosses to bend over backwards to accommodate his tantrums. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What kind of hold does D'Arcy have over RTE?? For a third-rate broadcaster, he seems to be able to get his bosses to bend over backwards to accommodate his tantrums. The mind boggles.

Dont know Harry, the interview with Randy Newman today was painful.

Now Newman didnt help but Darcy struggled big time.

Staccato deliveries from both.....not entertaining radio... not worth .5 mil a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

It's not an abuse by RTÉ if Murphy is a good enough broadcaster to fill a slot well. It seems that there is a small pool of real talent available.

I was never a fan of Murphy, but I do recognise that he has a good voice for radio and is very able in a studio. He's a good deal better than D'arcy.

Today's piece was okay.
    It's an abuse. They are making up stuff to give people a dig-out. Small pool of talent? Well we wouldn't know because RTE doesn't seem to search too far beyond former employees or the offspring of current/past employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭goochy

Jedward are from rathangan and their dad still lives there . They moved to lucan when parents split up. Now bow to the superior knowledge of goochy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It's an abuse. They are making up stuff to give people a dig-out.
    If a successful broadcaster who is not currently on air comes to a station and says that he is available for work if a suitable programme idea can be found, then it can be worthwhile looking into possibilities.
    Small pool of talent? Well we wouldn't know because RTE doesn't seem to search too far beyond former employees or the offspring of current/past employees.
    I have to admit that I am surprised at how scarce radio talent seems to be on all Irish stations that I have heard. There are many in RTÉ whose abilities I might describe as limited (Ray D'arcy being one of them) - but the other stations seem to do no better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

ow shut the f*ck up Ray, do you think the same of a Taxi driver or a train/bus driver when you take one of those.

idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Still late, despite the move to four o'clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

That Russian dancer (Daniel's strictly partner) made mincemeat out of Ray, he was like a fella trying to buy a packet of condoms and coming out with half the chemist shop and no rubbers.

It was a rotten pretence to get her on the show anyway, if she wasn't so nice he would have tried to stitch her up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Only reason ray wanted to speak to that lady from Strictly was to get in his childish quip about her possibly having an affair with Daniel. Zero interest in her background, her mams fight with cancer, her opinion of Majella, just rushing through her answers so he could get to the "killer" question...sad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Nody wrote: »
    //MOD

People while I know these threads tend to wander more than a lost sheep in the New Zealand mountains can we please return to the topic at hand of Ray Darcy's radio show? You know the reason for the thread to exist etc.

Cheers.

//MOD

yep, best to keep on topic like giving out about ray and his ineptitude when it comes to the buttons.....

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rosie Gardens

Only reason ray wanted to speak to that lady from Strictly was to get in his childish quip about her possibly having an affair with Daniel. Zero interest in her background, her mams fight with cancer, her opinion of Majella, just rushing through her answers so he could get to the "killer" question...sad

She knew it was coming though, and was well prepared for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

I have to admit that I am surprised at how scarce radio talent seems to be on all Irish stations that I have heard. There are many in RTÉ whose abilities I might describe as limited (Ray D'arcy being one of them) - but the other stations seem to do no better.

Not wishing to derail this thread, this is a very good point and probably deserves a thread of it's own.
    Ray D'arcy is a very good example of a poor broadcaster/communicator, but with a good following. There are others in almost all the national/regional stations.

Is it a fault of those running the stations or a reflection of what audiences respond to?

Expunge wrote: »
    Not wishing to derail this thread, this is a very good point and probably deserves a thread of it's own.
    Ray D'arcy is a very good example of a poor broadcaster/communicator, but with a good following. There are others in almost all the national/regional stations.

Is it a fault of those running the stations or a reflection of what audiences respond to?

tbf to darcy he'd a good listnership. It's the reason rte brought him in. They're trying to get a younger audience, maybe it'll work? It's a bit like politics. We constantly moan about politicians, yet we the voters put them in and expect different results. The voters are always right as are the listeners..

I enjoyed his show over the years. However, he became quite stale over the last while. He's natural skill as a broadcaster isn't great. His interviewing is quite poor, can be childish and brings his personal opinions too. I haven't heard much of his new show but his cathal penderd interview on today fm was typical of him and was an absolute shocker. By all accounts here he's had plenty others. The oliver callan parody of him is very accurate depiction. Personally, his button issues don't irritate, nor his wife 'retiring' and then coming back to rte with him, nor his wages. Unfortunately, these issues appear to have upset quite a few here.

digzy wrote: »
    It's a bit like politics. We constantly moan about politicians, yet we the voters put them in and expect different results. The voters are always right as are the listeners..

Yes, you're dead right.
    We elect some shocking clowns election after election and the people will continue to return them. Those TD's are a reflection of the electorate and in a way the likes of D'Arcy, Joe Duffy, Tubridy etc. judging by the size of the audiences they pull in are the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Expunge wrote: »
    Yes, you're dead right.
    We elect some shocking clowns election after election and the people will continue to return them. Those TD's are a reflection of the electorate and in a way the likes of D'Arcy, Joe Duffy, Tubridy etc. judging by the size of the audiences they pull in are the same thing.

have to question why Duffy has very little non RTE related advertising if hes such large audiences. He told an interviewer years back that he was worth his exorbitant fees cause he pulled in audiences but audiences dont pay unless the advertisers advertise. Dont really listen to Darcy or Tubridy but you get the impression that RTE are really struggling to pull in advertising rvenue even though the shows have sponsors

Well, that's the thing. Those three presenters have sponsors for their radio shows at the moment.
    We're not privy to the the income vs. outgoing equation in all of this.

eg. Sponsorship + advertising income minus
    D'Arcy/Duffy/Tubridy's huge wages + production staff + promotion/pr hours and money spent.

Is there a profit to RTE after all of that, despite the audiences being large?

If only John O'Mahoney TD and his colleagues on the Oireachtas Committee on Communications would nose around and get a few answers.

I always feel that when it comes to the giant salaries of some Radio 1 presenters, the licence fee is propping up some of it, despite the audiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

is capitalism the problem?? A station would rather hire someone with high JNLRs and poor skills, then investing time in someone new?? The broadcaster doesn't really matter at all, he doesn't even require an interview, his hiring is done on numbers only??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

is capitalism the problem?? A station would rather hire someone with high JNLRs and poor skills, then investing time in someone new?? The broadcaster doesn't really matter at all, he doesn't even require an interview, his hiring is done on numbers only??

And if they invested time in a new talent with low JNLRs and it wasn't making a profit, people would piss and moan about RTE making a loss until it turned around.

There really is no win when it comes to this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    And if they invested time in a new talent with low JNLRs and it wasn't making a profit, people would piss and moan about RTE making a loss until it turned around.

There really is no win when it comes to this stuff.
    and that is the problem!!

another thing is you cannot teach awesomeness in college...and nowadays broadcasters have relevant qualifications but may not have the personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Stamp licking feature on the show today...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Ray reliving his own experience of cursing on the playground-don't think it made him sound great.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

David Attenborough is the mystery voice

EDIT Wrong

Stamp licking feature on the show today...

jesus i heard that. ffs he's scraping the barrel now:rolleyes:

next up will be 'what's in rays head' quiz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,649 ✭✭✭✭L1011

digzy wrote: »
    next up will be 'what's in rays head' quiz

That'd be won quite quickly, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement