Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Absolutely, Joe has talent, would have noo problem doing well .

Came across as an honest genuine dude too.

Give Donna a bit of a tip too:D

wrong bus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

wrong bus

Sure, sure, I know that...still.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

Can someone tell me why both on RTE Radio 1 and 2FM each day they have the news read in Irish??? I find this really pointless and silly.

I mean, do they think someone who speaks Irish only understands the 3 minutes or so of the irish language news slot and then they dont understand the rest of the radio shows for the whole day.

Like if they wanted to hear the news in Irish why dont they bugger off to Radio na Gaeltachta or whatever its called.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Carson10 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why both on RTE Radio 1 and 2FM each day they have the news read in Irish??? I find this really pointless and silly.

I mean, do they think someone who speaks Irish only understands the 3 minutes or so of the irish language news slot and then they dont understand the rest of the radio shows for the whole day.

Like if they wanted to hear the news in Irish why dont they bugger off to Radio na Gaeltachta or whatever its called.

To fill the BAI Irish language quota and fulfill their remit as a public broadcaster to provide services that the commercial media don't, such as news in Irish.

Jesus Christ lads, what the hell is people's problem with the Nuacht? It's 3 minutes max a day. Now, I know D'Arcy could spend that 3 minutes bringing us the latest escapades of his porridge adventures and all, but seriously, I wish people would stop trotting this red herring out as if getting rid of the Nuacht or the Angelus will suddenly revitalise RTE. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Public service broadcasting, Official Languages Act etc.. Anyway, no harm to hear a bit of Irish now & then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

isn't Rick Stein one of jenny's no strings...she is very quiet

Sure she was probably at home spending time with the childer, isn't that why she left Today FM!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

BarryD wrote: »
    Public service broadcasting, Official Languages Act etc.. Anyway, no harm to hear a bit of Irish now & then.

Was thinking it must be to do with some Irish Broadcasting Licence. Ah well its still really pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Carson10 wrote: »
    Was thinking it must be to do with some Irish Broadcasting Licence. Ah well its still really pointless.

Not as pointless as the other 1hr & 27m that D'arcy is on air, at least it is actually informative to those who speak the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sneering at a marriage breakup...classy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Mary Byrne on again. For a moment I thought I'd gone back in time to The Mooney Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭robo

I know this is the radio forum but any mention of who his guests will be tomorrow night? I really really really can't wait that long to see who he will have on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

robo wrote: »
    I know this is the radio forum but any mention of who his guests will be tomorrow night? I really really really can't wait that long to see who he will have on :rolleyes:

Tommy Tiernan no doubt.

Red Fred wrote: »
    Mary Byrne on again. For a moment I thought I'd gone back in time to The Mooney Show.

Yeah, just like before! Hope Ray doesn't have too many buttons to push on the TV show :) Figure at this stage that it must be part of his new stage persona. Doesn't bother me much.
    robo wrote: »

Some DJ and some actor, I think - can't recall the names.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,677 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    To fill the BAI Irish language quota and fulfill their remit as a public broadcaster to provide services that the commercial media don't, such as news in Irish.

Jesus Christ lads, what the hell is people's problem with the Nuacht? It's 3 minutes max a day. Now, I know D'Arcy could spend that 3 minutes bringing us the latest escapades of his porridge adventures and all, but seriously, I wish people would stop trotting this red herring out as if getting rid of the Nuacht or the Angelus will suddenly revitalise RTE. :rolleyes:

I think RnaG should have the same allocation of news in English. Why would anyone who doesn't understand English listen to an English language station to get their Irish language news when there's a station dedicated to it? Perhaps it's for thick people who can't change the dial on their radio from RTE Radio 1 that they brought home from the shop in 1925.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

I think RnaG should have the same allocation of news in English. Why would anyone who doesn't understand English listen to an English language station to get their Irish language news when there's a station dedicated to it? Perhaps it's for thick people who can't change the dial on their radio from RTE Radio 1 that they brought home from the shop in 1925.

The Nuacht on R1 would be the only opportunity elderly Irish in GB who listen on longwave would have of hearing the Irish language for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,677 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Nuacht on R1 would be the only opportunity elderly Irish in GB who listen on longwave would have of hearing the Irish language for example.

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Or perhaps it's for people who predominantly speak English, but who also speak Irish and like to hear the occasional bit as they listen to R1?

Honestly, I don't get the issue here. It isn't costing anything extra as the staff are in place at RnaG anyway.

Seriously like, what bloody world do you people live in where you think the only people that listen to Nuacht are fluent mono-lingual Irish speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

wnolan1992 wrote: »

When I hear Irish on the radio I switch it off because I can't understand it. I would also turn it off if heard Spanish or Japanese on the radio.

So it can be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

This made my laugh from the Daily Edge (http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/ray-darcy-show-rate-2351000-Sep2015/):

'D’Arcy is used to this to a certain extent after his years at the helm of mod mornings on Today FM. In fact, his show had turned a little Old Man Shouting At Clouds in the months (years? Please don’t shout at us, Ray) before his departure.'

• Advertisement

When I hear Irish on the radio I switch it off because I can't understand it. I would also turn it off if heard Spanish or Japanese on the radio.

So it can be annoying.

I don't understand all of it, but i do find myself trying to comprehend and deconstruct the sentences when i hear it on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

So it can be annoying.

Best off avoiding Spanish or Japanese radio stations so.
    I've been through the Irish education system, therefore it's not double Dutch.

I don't understand all of it, but i do find myself trying to comprehend and deconstruct the sentences when i hear it on the radio.

Fair play to you, but I have no interest in trying to understand it.

Best off avoiding Spanish or Japanese radio stations so.
    I've been through the Irish education system, therefore it's not double Dutch.

Can you understand all of it? Then you must have a fluency in it which the majority, including myself, don't.

Fair play to you, but I have no interest in trying to understand it.

As long as you understand that the programming aren't designed to appeal to yourself alone.

As long as you understand that the programming aren't designed to appeal to yourself alone.

The point is that a short news bulletin in Irish makes people switch off including myself. Darcy is thinking about his ratings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The point is that a short news bulletin in Irish makes people switch off including myself. Darcy is thinking about his ratings.

He'd be better served to think about his content, his manner and his audience. That will generate better ratings than his carping, incompetent button-pushing and ignorance towards his fellow professionals.

But why should we particularly care about Ray's ratings - the Nuacht has been around a long time and before his show. I don't object to the odd bit of Gaeilge on the radio and would sometimes tune into RnaG just to hear it, even if a good amount of it passes over my school Irish.

BarryD wrote: »
    But why should we particularly care about Ray's ratings - the Nuacht has been around a long time and before his show. I don't object to the odd bit of Gaeilge on the radio and would sometimes tune into RnaG just to hear it, even if a good amount of it passes over my school Irish.

But if people want to hear the news in Irish they can listen to it on RnaG.

The majority cannot understand Irish in this country. It's so ridiculous having it played on Radio One at this stage when the majority of their listeners can't understand Irish.

• Advertisement

The majority cannot understand Irish in this country. It's so ridiculous having it played on Radio One at this stage when the majority of their listeners can't understand Irish.

Ah go on outa that - the majority in people in this country I'll wager have been through fourteen years of state education and have listened to a good deal of Irish during that time. Not enough to conduct a conversation in Irish but enough to appreciate it for what it is. Sure it's tokenism but sometimes it's important that traditions are observed.

What is a bit ridiculous is that Irish is the 'first language' of the country as regards legislation and so on when it's patently not the primary language of the citizens but sin scéal eile.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement