Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

BarryD wrote: »
    Ah go on outa that - the majority in people in this country I'll wager have been through fourteen years of state education and have listened to a good deal of Irish during that time. Not enough to conduct a conversation in Irish but enough to appreciate it for what it is. Sure it's tokenism but sometimes it's important that traditions are observed.

What is a bit ridiculous is that Irish is the 'first language' of the country as regards legislation and so on when it's patently not the primary language of the citizens but sin scéal eile.

I think Irish has to be removed from the constitution as one of our national languages to avoid future stuff like that from happening. But I doubt many will support Irish being removed from the constitution given some people's reaction to the possibility of Nuacht being removed!

But yeah I'd say people understand the odd word here or there, but not sentences. Someone who is 50 for example hasn't learned any Irish for over 30 years. As if they can understand it. I couldn't remember a lot of the Irish I had learned within a few years after school.

I think the idea of keeping Nuacht and other tokenism diminishes the language and gives Gaeilge dislikers a chance to have a go at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

maybe you lads might like to move over to the Gaelge forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I think Irish has to be removed from the constitution as one of our national languages to avoid future stuff like that from happening. But I doubt many will support Irish being removed from the constitution given some people's reaction to the possibility of Nuacht being removed!

But yeah I'd say people understand the odd word here or there, but not sentences. Someone who is 50 for example hasn't learned any Irish for over 30 years. As if they can understand it. I couldn't remember a lot of the Irish I had learned within a few years after school.

I think the idea of keeping Nuacht and other tokenism diminishes the language and gives Gaeilge dislikers a chance to have a go at it.

Someone who will complain about a news bulletin a couple of minutes long will find something else to complain about if it wasn't there.

I'm all for having more Irish language programming on the main channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Someone who will complain about a news bulletin a couple of minutes long will find something else to complain about if it wasn't there.

I'm all for having more Irish language programming on the main channels.
    Mise freisin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

just a gentle reminder not to discuss his TV show on this thread. There is another forum for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The TV thread is anseo mà teastaionn èinne è.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Carson10 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why both on RTE Radio 1 and 2FM each day they have the news read in Irish??? I find this really pointless and silly.

I mean, do they think someone who speaks Irish only understands the 3 minutes or so of the irish language news slot and then they dont understand the rest of the radio shows for the whole day.

Like if they wanted to hear the news in Irish why dont they bugger off to Radio na Gaeltachta or whatever its called.

Absolutely, agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    To fill the BAI Irish language quota and fulfill their remit as a public broadcaster to provide services that the commercial media don't, such as news in Irish.

Jesus Christ lads, what the hell is people's problem with the Nuacht? It's 3 minutes max a day. Now, I know D'Arcy could spend that 3 minutes bringing us the latest escapades of his porridge adventures and all, but seriously, I wish people would stop trotting this red herring out as if getting rid of the Nuacht or the Angelus will suddenly revitalise RTE. :rolleyes:

No, it wont revitalise RTE but that doesnt mean its right to continue ad infinitum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

To Peter Stringer - you're old
    To Girl who lost weight - you were very fat

He has no tact at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

To Peter Stringer - you're old
    To Girl who lost weight - you were very fat

He has no tact at all.
    that's his "style"

• Advertisement

that's his "style"

And that's a rather kind way to put it, at least he hasn't blamed sugar ! ( yet )

Having met Sinead Kennedy a few times all this talk of her underwear and @rse on a friday afternoon is rather enjoyable:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Having met Sinead Kennedy a few times all this talk of her underwear and @rse on a friday afternoon is rather enjoyable:D

Far, far better looking in the flesh than on camera. Passed her one day in Limerick while she was filming something or other and she was positively radiant, stood out an absolute mile. Last woman I thought that about was Glenda Gilsen.

Far, far better looking in the flesh than on camera. Passed her one day in Limerick while she was filming something or other and she was positively radiant, stood out an absolute mile. Last woman I thought that about was Glenda Gilsen.

Ya she's a nice person as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Houston, we got a problem.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I can't believe the morons in RTE caved about Nuacht. Far, far, far better to have halted his poor excuse for a program at 3.30pm and put something decent on instead.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

€500k a year for this. Says it all to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Lady off Aldi ad up after 4 folks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Lady off Aldi ad up after 4 folks

heard rugby expert ray was out of the box there earlier when i walked into the kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

and conoe popes consumer issue this week was someone who didnt get 1 cent in change from Eason and had to wait for the guy to open the till on the next customer. this would be comedy but ray darcy is getting a hell of alot of money to coast through his radio and tv shows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

neris wrote: »
    and conoe popes consumer issue this week was someone who didnt get 1 cent in change from Eason and had to wait for the guy to open the till on the next customer. this would be comedy but ray darcy is getting a hell of alot of money to coast through his radio and tv shows

hmm, it's trivially annoying for me when I'm told about my missing euro cent coin "eh, we've no one cent coins". Well, gimme a two cent one instead, then. grrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ray certainly knows about these issues Eileen, at least last night wasn't your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

True professional stfu .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

D'Arcy laughing at somebody else having technical problems... Is he joking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

D'Arcy laughing at somebody else having technical problems... Is he joking ?

The laughable thing is Eileen had a Technical Difficulty (desk crashed). D'Arcy had no technical skills (or any other skills) and causes his own fook ups.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭goochy

the guy who couldnt get job sounded a bit of a gob****e and too sure of himself - has to be some reason he couldnt get job for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Mario did a great skit of Raymond this morning on Gift...

goochy wrote: »
    the guy who couldnt get job sounded a bit of a gob****e and too sure of himself - has to be some reason he couldnt get job for so long

You that mental picture that prospective employers would have of him holding a placard in the middle of the street certainly may have contributed to their reluctance to hire him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

ray has applied for jobs in the uk but they all said no

• Advertisement

D'Arcy is now coordinating the Operation Transformation... After about two weeks of Ray preaching diet tips and jogging tips I'd say one of them will end up taking a shotgun to him..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement