Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Needs to be heard, fair play to Ray.

Nah, we were 'beaten over the head' with this repeatedly yesterday. Message given and taken. No need for repeat the following day. I just hit the off switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Needs to be heard, fair play to Ray.

100% agree, it should be covered until it is far beyond taboo behaviour. It should be highlighted again and again until these morons that behave like this get the message and their families need to get the message too. I'd have nothing to do with any dickhead who would carry on like that.

Lecture from Bob Geldof (Sir to you and I) coming up.................................! In keeping I guess with Ray's proclivities.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,681 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will Ray ask Geldof when he is taking the refugees in to his houses?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0904/725613-geldof/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Never have i heard a man with such an ability to speak through his @rse !

• Advertisement

The modesty of the man is astounding!! And the logic - all the various 'refugees' in England.... from the colonies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Anyone notice Rays fake laughing with his guests since he came across from Today FM..,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Ray directly asks Bob what do you think of us now (in modern Ireland), 3 or 4 sentences later he is saying that the Irish are often described as small minded, always wanting to know what others think of them. Easy to see an example of small mindedness there. The laughing along to everyhting Bob says is annoying too. Does he have no middle setting. He is either completely dismisive or licking a guests arse

What's Bob Geldof on about, anyone follow the logic of that speech on Scotland? Lost me completely. He says he's Irish and that he believes in Irish independence but lives in England and pays his taxes there and believes the Scots were not worthy of the same thing he aspired to for the Irish.... that the day of the nation state is past etc etc. But it's OK for Ireland to be 'independent' - twisted double think. I suppose it's suits his financial affairs..

To be fair, I like Bob Geldof on the whole but as someone says above, he talks a fair amount of self serving rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

how annoying is she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

how annoying is she?

To be fair I think he has shown her very little respect by getting her to come from Galway to get a three minute interview because he went so over on Bob (hilarious how he thought travellers are still hanging their clothes out at roundabouts)
    Hopefully Tommy Tiernan will take it up with him next time he's on, presumably that's the middle of next week at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Fair play to Ray, up another 9,000 in today's JNLRs, up 1,000 year on year too. Obviously the show is connecting with some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Was a cringeworthy interview for most. That fake laugh.. Ugggh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Fair play to Ray, up another 9,000 in today's JNLRs, up 1,000 year on year too. Obviously the show is connecting with some people.

Alot more people that's older this year more like it. He just doesn't do it or me along with his TV, boring..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    Ray directly asks Bob what do you think of us now (in modern Ireland), 3 or 4 sentences later he is saying that the Irish are often described as small minded, always wanting to know what others think of them. Easy to see an example of small mindedness there. The laughing along to everyhting Bob says is annoying too. Does he have no middle setting. He is either completely dismisive or licking a guests arse

As a lad said on another thread, I could t give a slick shiny one what Bob Geldof thinks of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

As a lad said on another thread, I could t give a slick shiny one what Bob Geldof thinks of Ireland.

I heard Bob a lot in the media and on TV recently, talking about the band and getting back together. To listen to him talking about "The Rats", you'd think there were the fupping Beatles. The snake skin suit may be fitting a bit tight these days, but there's nothing wrong with his rose tinted glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I think I heard him mention 40 years of The Rats. I can only remember about 4 of them and the Band Aid re-union.

I heard Bob a lot in the media and on TV recently, talking about the band and getting back together. To listen to him talking about "The Rats", you'd think there were the fupping Beatles. The snake skin suit may be fitting a bit tight these days, but there's nothing wrong with his rose tinted glasses.

The Rats were a hugely important band of their time, obviously this was more so in Ireland, don't underestimate them due to a dislike of the singer. Listen to the singles, they were brilliant.

The Rats were a hugely important band of their time, obviously this was more so in Ireland, don't underestimate them due to a dislike of the singer. Listen to the singles, they were brilliant.

No offence Swiper, but I think the silicon chip inside your head has got switched to over load. Aside from their one crowning moment Don't Like Mondays, which IS a great song, there really isnt anything else of note. I consider them one hit wonders, Bob (it seems) considers them groundbreaking and enormously influential. Yet, I don't think I've ever heard an interview with another band or solo performer and heard them saying "My greatest influence? I'd have to say that was Bob and the rats"

Oh and I dont dislike Bob Geldof. I feel sorry for all the bad things that have happened to him in his life. I just think that he's hard to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

No offence Swiper, but I think the silicon chip inside your head has got switched to over load. Aside from their one crowning moment Don't Like Mondays, which IS a great song, there really isnt anything else of note. I consider them one hit wonders, Bob (it seems) considers them groundbreaking and enormously influential. Yet, I don't think I've ever heard an interview with another band or solo performer and heard them saying "My greatest influence? I'd have to say that was Bob and the rats"

Oh and I dont dislike Bob Geldof. I feel sorry for all the bad things that have happened to him in his life. I just think that he's hard to listen to.

I dunno, this one is pretty good, and still quite relevant today I'd say.

• Advertisement

No offence Peter but that post doesn't even warrant a reply it is so inaccurate.
    I wonder first of all what age you are because if you are too young to realise their importance then it is not your fault but you should do a bit of research before posting.
    Secondly I wonder how much time you spend reading interviews with other musicians, it is widely known that the rats were a massive influence on all of the bands that came after them in what was a golden period for Irish music, the Rats led the way, 9 uk top 20 hits when that meant something, first Irish band to have a uk number 1 (they had two), a series of top 10 albums.

No offence Peter but that post doesn't even warrant a reply it is so inaccurate. I wonder first of all what age you are because if you are too young to realise their importance then it is not your fault but you should do a bit of research before posting.

Unfortunately your "swipes" at me dont make The Boomtown Rats' back catalog any more impressive. People can judge for themselves as to whether the band was as important as Bob thinks they were. But for me, and I would think for a lot of people, they have one good song. It's a fantastic song, but that's where it begins and ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,038 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Unfortunately your "swipes" at me dont make The Boomtown Rats' back catalog any more impressive. People can judge for themselves as to whether the band was as important as Bob thinks they were. But for me, and I would think for a lot of people, they have one good song. It's a fantastic song, but that's where it begins and ends.
    you're missing the point, cultural movements are all about context

I can't influence your personal taste in music, however it is plain wrong to suggest they were a one hit wonder, as I have said they have even had more than one number one song, that is a fact. It is also incorrect to suggest that they weren't influential or important.
    It would be akin to suggesting that the Jam were a one hit wonder because most people nowadays will only know Going underground.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This one is spinning rapidly, where is that music forum, I wonder.

I can't influence your personal taste in music, however it is plain wrong to suggest they were a one hit wonder, as I have said they have even had more than one number one song, that is a fact. It is also incorrect to suggest that they weren't influential or important.
    It would be akin to suggesting that the Jam were a one hit wonder because most people nowadays will only know Going underground.

I don't think they were influential or important and neither were the Jam, but Paul Weller has been and continues to be as he evolved.

Oh and Town called malice is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more popular;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,038 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I don't think they were influential or important and neither were the Jam, but Paul Weller has been and continues to be as he evolved.

teenagers dressed like them (the rats) so they were important enough

This one is spinning rapidly, where is that music forum, I wonder.

Sorry, I can't stop myself.

This thread has gone absolutely barmy, now The Jam weren't influential, I give up.:eek:

teenagers dressed like them (the rats) so they were important enough

Teenagers dressed like Kris Kross...............so they must have been important as well ??

Or the Bros haircut in the 80's ????

• Advertisement

He's already making derogatory remarks about Dawkins, before the interview is even played!

D'Arcy seems very reluctant to associate himself with anybody who has unpopular opinions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement