Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Extraordinary interview with Richard Dawkins, who often comes across as irascible.

Darcy seems ill-prepared and clumsy, and Dawkins is indulging him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Ray sounded like media student on work experience

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Extraordinary interview with Richard Dawkins, who often comes across as irascible.

Moncrieff did an interview with him at 3, BIG difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The sound that Ann makes with her electric blanket sounds like Ray doing his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Was wondering whether Sean's interview was live-Ray kept harping on about Dawkins insistence on a pre-recorded interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

honeybear wrote: »
    Was wondering whether Sean's interview was live-Ray kept harping on about Dawkins insistence on a pre-recorded interview.

Might have been, i believe Sean has interviewed him before and maybe he enjoyed being with Sean more:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Amazing the amount of times he misquoted him, or attributed things to him that he never actually said.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

He's already making derogatory remarks about Dawkins, before the interview is even played!

D'Arcy seems very reluctant to associate himself with anybody who has unpopular opinions.

Dawkins is a twat though in fairness. :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Dawkins was on the last word with Matt Cooper and no wonder I thought he sounded a bit tired!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I dunno, this one is pretty good, and still quite relevant today I'd say.

Back in '76-'77, my father was in college in UCG and after a random night out in Dublin hitched (remember that) back to Galway and the Rats tour bus picked them up along with another guy who is now TnaG presenter/personality who my father hated- they had a scrap. My father (a Sinn Fein activist for 35 years) who would generally find the likes of Sir Bob akin to Satan incarnate said he was sound.

Just throwing that out that...:D

ps before fame it should be noted!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Amazing the amount of times he misquoted him, or attributed things to him that he never actually said.

It really was quite extraordinary how ill-prepared he was.

On top of what you correctly identified above, citing George Bush's Catholicism (sic) took the interview into surreal territory...

Dawkins at least had the good grace to indulge him, a trait Darcy himself could gainfully assimilate when he interviews someone whose views he finds inconvenient or distasteful.

Dealing with Dustin, 'sparring' with his mono-syllabic producer/wife, or compering The Rose of Tralee seem to be the limit of his intellectual horizons...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Dawkins was on the last word with Matt Cooper and no wonder I thought he sounded a bit tired!

Job done for Dawkins in one fell swoop today. Covering all bases on RTE, Newstalk and Today FM in a blanket bombing approach should probably ensure that his latest book sells by the bucketload. He'll probably be doing the same thing on Belgian radio tomorrow......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

CatFromHue wrote: »

Dawkins was also on IrelandAM this morning, promoting his new book.
    Sinéad and Mark were asking him general questions about his beliefs, when
    he kept reminding them that 'this is not what the book is about'! It was all
    rather amusing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Dawkins was also on IrelandAM this morning, promoting his new book.
    Sinéad and Mark were asking him general questions about his beliefs, when
    he kept reminding them that 'this is not what the book is about'! It was all
    rather amusing!!

Same on The Last Word, very reluctant to answer questions that didn't relate to the book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I tried tuning in a few times. Just can't do it. Couldn't listen to him.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

jprboy wrote: »
    Same on The Last Word, very reluctant to answer questions that didn't relate to the book
    OT i know, but what is the book about? from a quick google its the second half of his memoirs, and i would presume that it would deal a lot with his being a 'spokesperson' for atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

jprboy wrote: »
    i can see his point though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

He really uses any opportunity to vent his anti Catholic rants.

So much could have been discussed with the minister, but no, the usual, Catholic Church rabble rabble rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

He really uses any opportunity to vent his anti Catholic rants.

So much could have been discussed with the minister, but no, the usual, Catholic Church rabble rabble rabble.

heard the start of the show and him babling about the minister coming in and my thought was "that,ll be Ray on his moral high horse talking down the minister and butting in to her answers". I always thought rte radio hosts were meant to be impartial and not be driving their own agendas and opinions. If you want a radio show to air your own opinions see if you get a job in rte from 145-430pm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ray didn't ask Jan O'Sullivan about the more important issues such as oversized classrooms etc. because he's too fixated on his own personal gripes and grievances.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

What's with the oral smacking noises from Ray Darcy?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

my friend wrote: »
    What's with the oral smacking noises from Ray Darcy?

He's trying out a new technique of hitting the buttons with his mouth, seeing as he can't seem to master doing so with his hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I caught that. How can Ray D'arcy honestly interview this man? D'arcy is not a broadcaster. He was well out of his depth. Came across like a child. He's a mickey mouse DJ at best!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Who is Ray speaking to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭goochy

jenny and will dont appear on show anymore . wonder what happened ? not complaining mind you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

For any listeners to the Ray Darcy show who find themselves in Moneygall on their way to Cork:

YOU MISSED THE TURN OFF ABOUT 20 MINUTES BACK THE ROAD!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

BPKS wrote: »
    For any listeners to the Ray Darcy show who find themselves in Moneygall on their way to Cork:

YOU MISSED THE TURN OFF ABOUT 20 MINUTES BACK THE ROAD!
    Surely that depends on where your journey started.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Holy fchook

First he calls it As-BERGERS when everyone else calls it ASbergers

Now he calls it eodene, when everyone calls it Iodine.

WTF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

goochy wrote: »
    jenny and will dont appear on show anymore . wonder what happened ? not complaining mind you

The embarrassed RTE management team that shelled out big bucks for the 'team' are retracting into their shell and don't want to remind us of the scale of their mistake , when they eventually pay Ray off to leave or task him elsewhere they hope we have forgotten that the other two have to be paid off too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Holy fchook

First he calls it As-BERGERS when everyone else calls it ASbergers

Now he calls it eodene, when everyone calls it Iodine.

WTF.

:eek: He pronounces words different than I do? BURN HIM!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement