Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    :eek: He pronounces words different than I do? BURN HIM!

He pronounces words differently to the other 4 million people on the island .

That's the point Willie.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Surely that depends on where your journey started.

Not really. Unless your journey started in Moneygall that is.

And Darcy said If your on your way down to Limerick, Cork or Kerry (because everybody lives in Dublin y'know).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

BPKS wrote: »
    Not really. Unless your journey started in Moneygall that is.

And Darcy said If your on your way down to Limerick, Cork or Kerry (because everybody lives in Dublin y'know).

And Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

He pronounces words differently to the other 4 million people on the island .

That's the point Willie.

There are 6.5 million people on the island and regionally we all have very different accents and pronunciations. I have a lot of issues with D'Arcy but having a go at his accent is a bit petty. If he was to try change it he'd be attacked for that too.

Deedsie wrote: »
    There are 6.5 million people on the island and regionally we all have very different accents and pronunciations. I have a lot of issues with D'Arcy but having a go at his accent is a bit petty. If he was to try change it he'd be attacked for that too.

I'll put it to you this way Deedsie, I've been around for a bit and never,never ever, never ever ever, heard anyone, anyone, refer to 'iodine' as 'eodene' until this pillock came up with it.

I'm not having a go at his accent, just his pronunciation of iodine and the way it should be pronounced.

That's what I am doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Accents and dialects has fook all to do with plain wrong pronounciation. Iodine is prounounced eyeodine, no matter where you are from.

Similar to people mispronouncing tremendous. Throwing J into it. Ridiculous.

Another I hear of late is comparable pronounced as comprable. Ridiculous. I know waht they're trying to do, but they seem to miss it most time.

Loads of examples out there.

While we are on the subject of Ray,can I throw in a few comments.

I'll start by stating I have nowt personal against the lad , seems a good guy.

However my synopsis on his first few months in this 1500 slot is:

He is a bit out of his depth for this kind of show- more suited to fluffy 'morning stuff' one can listen to on the move,not requiring great attention.

He is neither fish nor fowl,not enough gravitas for the grey listener but too old for the younger person.

He hasn't got , it seems to me ,the all round knowledge required to handle a show like this hence the frequent gaffs regarding stuff you would expect him to have heard of or know about, in other words a rather limited general knowledge.

Classic case of a lad promoted above his level of competency, I would opine.

That said he has good points too, but to my mind anyway more suited to more less serious slots and shows.

I wish him well, but that my take.

While we are on the subject of Ray,can I throw in a few comments.

I'll start by stating I have nowt personal against the lad , seems a good guy.

However my synopsis on his first few months in this 1500 slot is:

He is a bit out of his depth for this kind of show- more suited to fluffy 'morning stuff' one can listen to on the move,not requiring great attention.

He is neither fish nor fowl,not enough gravitas for the grey listener but too old for the younger person.

He hasn't got , it seems to me ,the all round knowledge required to handle a show like this hence the frequent gaffs regarding stuff you would expect him to have heard of or know about, in other words a rather limited general knowledge.

Classic case of a lad promoted above his level of competency, I would opine.

That said he has good points too, but to my mind anyway more suited to more less serious slots and shows.

I wish him well, but that my take.

Spot on. I just cannot take him seriously as a journalist/broadcaster type. He just does not have the talent-style for it. Not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Not sure if that's quite fair - it's an improvement on the Mooney show anyway, which had gone a bit naff.

It's a tricky time of day, is it not. Like the 0900-1000 show in the morning schedule. I'd prefer something completely different in those times, either documentaries or around the country local news items. But RTE seem to want light fluffy middle of road, nothing too serious chat and a few tunes.

Ray does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... He hasn't got , it seems to me ,the all round knowledge required to handle a show like this ...
    That's his greatest weakness. I suspect that it is compounded by his not bothering to prepare sufficiently for interviews.

• Advertisement

BarryD wrote: »
    Not sure if that's quite fair - it's an improvement on the Mooney show anyway, which had gone a bit naff.

I disagree. The Mooney show was far better.

It's a tricky time of day, is it not. Like the 0900-1000 show in the morning schedule. I'd prefer something completely different in those times, either documentaries or around the country local news items. But RTE seem to want light fluffy middle of road, nothing too serious chat and a few tunes.

Ray does that.

It is tricky, very tricky and I'd agree with you there.

However I would have for an example draw a comparison between Ryan Tubridy and John Murray on the 09-10 am slot.

Tubridy whatever some may think is aeons ahead of the stuff poor John had to put out,enthusiastic, effortless,able to switch between serious and trivia with an air of authority and gravitas.

Ray on the other hand seems to be reading from a prepared script in interviews and to me anyway, evolves into a staccato delivery with none or very little continuity or expansion of points that someone like Tubridy does so well.

Seems at his happiest dealing with 'teenage stuff' and showbizzy type subjects.

Not the person to anchor a TV show either, in my opinion.

My opinion is that Ray is a passable DJ,fine for a morning slot of songs and little filler bits from the tabloids which can be listened to in the background,basically
    Background noise.

A tad out of his depth in his current slot, but may improve.

Tubridy whatever some may think is aeons ahead of the stuff poor John had to put out,enthusiastic, effortless,able to switch between serious and trivia with an air of authority and gravitas.

My opinion is that Ray is a passable DJ,fine for a morning slot of songs and little filler bits from the tabloids which can be listened to in the background,basically
    Background noise.

A tad out of his depth in his current slot, but may improve.

Hmm, I heard Ryan briefly this morning talking with gravitas about people at the web summit not talking to each other.. before I hit the switch!

Ray - mostly I listen, sometimes I hit the switch. Mooney I'd given up on apart from the Friday - the 'frilly knickers' and smutty type topics just get tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I'll put it to you this way Deedsie, I've been around for a bit and never,never ever, never ever ever, heard anyone, anyone, refer to 'iodine' as 'eodene' until this pillock came up with it.

I'm not having a go at his accent, just his pronunciation of iodine and the way it should be pronounced.

That's what I am doing.

I really don't think people who use terms like "nowt" and "pillock" can really insult a man for mispronouncing a word. Ever in the law library? intellectuals who change the pronunciation of almost every word from how the common man or woman would pronounce a word.

I really don't think people who use terms like "nowt" and "pillock" can really insult a man for mispronouncing a word. Ever in the law library? intellectuals who change the pronunciation of almost every word from how the common man or woman would pronounce a word.

I really think you are over-egging this one.

But apologies if I insulted anyone, not intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Love the Hairy Bikers !

Proper good food !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Love the Hairy Bikers !

Proper good food !!!

Trust Ray to pick the recipe which included a fried egg on top...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

I think ray darcy is a good radio presenter. He is relaxed and usually gets a lot from his guests.

My main issue s that he is pushing the liberal and secularist agenda very strongly. I have no problem with him having the view he has but as a presenter on the national broadcaster he should be more balanced. There hasn't been a week that he hasn't been plugging hard this agenda. His brings on people such as ruairi Quinn / Dawkins / educate together people / people promoting abortion etc.

Again I have no problem as such with having their voices heard - but you also need to invite in,people to discuss or critique the above. But ray doesn't do this - he simply presents one - aggressive secularist position. He started his show 2 days ago by saying that - 'that David Quinn person made his blood boil'!

He can be very self righteous and dismissing of others. As a presenter on a national radio show which is meant to provide balance I can't understand how he hasn't been pulled in my the powers in rte or the bai.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

DK man wrote: »
    I think ray darcy is a good radio presenter. He is relaxed and usually gets a lot from his guests.

My main issue s that he is pushing the liberal and secularist agenda very strongly. I have no problem with him having the view he has but as a presenter on the national broadcaster he should be more balanced. There hasn't been a week that he hasn't been plugging hard this agenda. His brings on people such as ruairi Quinn / Dawkins / educate together people / people promoting abortion etc.

Again I have no problem as such with having their voices heard - but you also need to invite in,people to discuss or critique the above. But ray doesn't do this - he simply presents one - aggressive secularist position. He started his show 2 days ago by saying that - 'that David Quinn person made his blood boil'!

He can be very self righteous and dismissing of others. As a presenter on a national radio show which is meant to provide balance I can't understand how he hasn't been pulled in my the powers in rte or the bai.
    i don't think darcy likes dawkins and i don't think anybody likes david quinn

i don't think darcy likes dawkins and i don't think anybody likes david quinn

One says it's is immoral not to abort a child with Down syndrome and the other says that all children's lives are intrinsically valuable and equal. I hope Ray and Jenny don't have a child with Down syndrome if this is one of his idols!

However, your response is not really dealing with the points that I have raised - a bit of a smart attempt at fudging / derailment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,982 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

One says it's is immoral not to abort a child with Down syndrome and the other says that all children's lives are intrinsically valuable and equal. I hope Ray and Jenny don't have a child with Down syndrome if this is one of his idols!

However, your response is not really dealing with the points that I have raised - a bit of a smart attempt at fudging / derailment
    I'm not being smart at all....do you not think the marriage referendum proved that forcing balance for the sake of it is stupid?? shall we put dawkins on the stop watch and then ring quinn for the same duration even if he has nothing to say?

I'm not being smart at all....do you not think the marriage referendum proved that forcing balance for the sake of it is stupid?? shall we put dawkins on the stop watch and then ring quinn for the same duration even if he has nothing to say?

Over 700,000 voted against the redefinition of marriage despite all the political forces and media outlets pushing strongly - former and current presidents got involved even though this is a breech of their duties - we had an illegal home to vote movement - both of which were not challenged by anyone. So I think having some checks and balances is important

No need to put a stop watch on anyone - but if we had a national broadcaster who spent as much time promoting the opposite of what Ray darcy is promoting and inviting in guests every week to support this agenda I don't think you would be so blaise.

Moving towards the head of the pin!!

I think ray darcy is a good radio presenter. He is relaxed and usually gets a lot from his guests....

Hmm.. well in between those people that you list I've heard other more conservative voices interviewed - sure wasn't Sr.Stan on just a few days ago and she'd hardly be on the secular liberal side??

That said, I know what you mean - it's fairly clear that he views that religion should be left to people's personal choice and lifestyle i.e. that they should be free to practice themselves but not foist their views on others.

Insofar as that goes, I'd broadly agree with him, wouldn't you? Seems like a Christian and fair way to organise society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Hmm.. well in between those people that you list I've heard other more conservative voices interviewed - sure wasn't Sr.Stan on just a few days ago and she'd hardly be on the secular liberal side??

That said, I know what you mean - it's fairly clear that he views that religion should be left to people's personal choice and lifestyle i.e. that they should be free to practice themselves but not foist their views on others.

Insofar as that goes, I'd broadly agree with him, wouldn't you? Seems like a Christian and fair way to organise society.

Sr. Stan backed the referendum, so Darcy would love her, he has been pushing the anti catholic agenda since he started on rte along with his other favourites. Horrible little man.

Ray is foisting his aggressive secularism on all his listeners. He wants religion pushed out of the public sphere and into the private. Is this not some sort of totalitarian pronouncement? In totalitarian states people usually have restrictions on what they can say / do in public.

I have no problem with Ray's views and no doubt many people share those views. My issue is that he is using his position during an afternoon slot to - a slot that has always been radio lite / easy lite entertainment as a vehicle to attack groups and institutions in the state. He is working for the national broadcaster which has balance and fairness as a core principle and Ray darcy is clearly not following this core broadcasting principle.

If Ray was an ultra conservative Catholic and had women on telling about how they had abortions and now live with terrible regrets and trauma - and people on taking about their faith and how wonderful their life is because of finding God - and young people talking about their trips to Lourdes and how it has changed their lives- and children of gays couples on telling of the terrible loss they felt by not having access to their biological father every week there would be a riot out in Montrose - and rightly so because this is a national station which should offer balance

I will say it again that I think that ray is very good as a radio presenter. In particular I have to commend him for the way he handled the very sad tragic death of young Ciaran treacy - he showed sensitivity and dealt with this topic with respect but getting across the very import message of just how devastating drinking and driving is - i had tears rolling down my face and Im a big burly 6 ft male

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ray is foisting his aggressive secularism on all his listeners. He wants religion pushed out of the public sphere and into the private. Is this not some sort of totalitarian pronouncement? In totalitarian states people usually have restrictions on what they can say / do in public.

I have no problem with Ray's views and no doubt many people share those views. My issue is that he is using his position during an afternoon slot to - a slot that has always been radio lite / easy lite entertainment as a vehicle to attack groups and institutions in the state. He is working for the national broadcaster which has balance and fairness as a core principle and Ray darcy is clearly not following this core broadcasting principle.

+1000000%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

i had tears rolling down my face and Im a big burly 6 ft male

Are you a truck driver fond of texting?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

my friend wrote: »
    Are you a truck driver fond of texting?
    But not while driving

• Advertisement

my friend wrote: »