Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The Duffy to Drivetime slot was always half entertainment, half public service broadcasting.

One of the most blatant examples was the new 2013 number plate system. Early in 2012 Mooney had a few articles on the fear of the number 13.. Next thing we know there’s a phone poll/survey/competition. Guess which entry won. Yes, you guessed it. The 131/132 format.

Ray is just doing the same job as Mooney, only dealing with different topics. Like the abolition of coppers and what a great thing it is. €1.02 for soup, my arse..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

my friend wrote: »
    Are you a truck driver fond of texting?
    sligojoek wrote: »
    But not while driving

Yet another outing for what is now rivalling the chicken crossing the road as the oldest joke in the book.:rolleyes:

Excellent post by the way DK man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

DK man wrote: »
    He wants religion pushed out of the public sphere and into the private.

Personally I have no particular problem with that approach, the private sphere is the proper place for religious beliefs. You believe as you wish and so will I do likewise.

I agree that Ray D'Arcy could be seen to promote this approach just as Derek Mooney before him increasingly pushed the gay/lesbian agenda. Whereas Joe Duffy just pushes his book!

By the way, don't confuse secularism and liberalism - they're not the same. Plenty of conservative secularists.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

BarryD wrote: »
    Personally I have no particular problem with that approach, the private sphere is the proper place for religious beliefs. You believe as you wish and so will I do likewise.

I agree that Ray D'Arcy could be seen to promote this approach just as Derek Mooney before him increasingly pushed the gay/lesbian agenda. Whereas Joe Duffy just pushes his book!

By the way, don't confuse secularism and liberalism - they're not the same. Plenty of conservative secularists.

Do you think that people ought not to have the right to want a religious input in their child's education. I know not everyone wants it - but just because some don't want it - do you think that this should give them a veto on what other people want!

The tax payer argument would only be relevant if Catholics didn't pay tax - but we do....

Do you think that people ought not to have the right to want a religious input in their child's education. I know not everyone wants it - but just because some don't want it - do you think that this should give them a veto on what other people want!

Sure, of course people should have the right for religious input in their children's education.... but you exercise that right at home and/or in the local parish or other religious grouping.

The parents being the primary educators of their children (and the greatest influence) and so on as per our constitution. No need for the state run education system to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Sure, of course people should have the right for religious input in their children's education.... but you exercise that right at home and/or in the local parish or other religious grouping.

The parents being the primary educators of their children (and the greatest influence) and so on as per our constitution. No need for the state run education system to do this.

Many parents want and are very happy with religious education being part of their children's overall education experience - some are not. Need for more schools that don't offer religion to satisfy their particular needs.

In the meantime allow us parents who want choice to get on living our lives and raising our children the way we see fit and you are free to do likewise

The left agenda should be left at the door of their meeting rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This one has strayed off course quite a bit, must be winds aloft, I guess.

This one has strayed off course quite a bit, must be winds aloft, I guess.

No, schools run by/with a religious ethos and the dominance of them has been a topic that Ray has turned to on his show quite a lot. Something about it again today - does that not constitute a suitable thing to be discussed here? Whether he should be covering these topics or not.

I know some just want to bash D'Arcy endlessly but that gets repetitive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

No, schools run by/with a religious ethos and the dominance of them has been a topic that Ray has turned to on his show quite a lot. Something about it again today - does that not constitute a suitable thing to be discussed here? Whether he should be covering these topics or not.

I know some just want to bash D'Arcy endlessly but that gets repetitive :)

FFS does the man never stop, we all know little Kate goes to ED TO school, doesn't mean it's right for everybody Ray you sanctimonious git.:mad:

FFS does the man never stop, we all know little Kate goes to ED TO school, doesn't mean it's right for everybody Ray you sanctimonious git.:mad:

Good for her parents if that's what they want and are lucky enough to have an option like Educate Together near them.

That's entirely the point though - most of the country has the choice between the local primary school or the local primary school. And largely these are controlled by religious patrons or one form or other but state funded. So there's often no choice for anyone who thinks differently. What could be simpler :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Good for her parents if that's what they want and are lucky enough to have an option like Educate Together near them.

That's entirely the point though - most of the country has the choice between the local primary school or the local primary school. And largely these are controlled by religious patrons or one form or other but state funded. So there's often no choice for anyone who thinks differently. What could be simpler :)

We dont need to hear it from that person ad nauseum, a friend of mine is in a relationship with a woman who has a 9 year old girl. She has no religion didn't baptise her daughter, when it came to enrollment there was no issue.

When it came to HC she was able to opt out along with some others and the school even organised a party specially for them. It's a faith based school.

You must agree that RD has a major axe to grind with the RC faith and it is just tedious.

It can't have been all bad as he was educated by them, oh maybe in case it might have been.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Many parents want and are very happy with religious education being part of their children's overall education experience - some are not. Need for more schools that don't offer religion to satisfy their particular needs.

In the meantime allow us parents who want choice to get on living our lives and raising our children the way we see fit and you are free to do likewise

The left agenda should be left at the door of their meeting rooms

No one is stopping any parent from educating any child in any belief they deem true. You can tell your kids the world is flat, tell them vaccines are poison. No one is stopping you from educating your kids at home. Please stop expecting teachers to do all your kids life experience/education at school. Parents need to take some responsibility.

Personal politics and religion should stay out of public funded schools. Imagine if an enclave of scientologists was a majority in an area and asked for public funding for their school and official recognition of their religion and their teachings. How fecking long would that last.

Religion is the same as sex education, you cant ask teachers to do it all. Far too many parents are cribbing that the fecking government should teach our kids religion/sex. How fecking messed up is that.

Plus you called Darcy a liberal earlier. He is so far from a liberal it is not even funny, plus he is a terrible broadcaster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

You must agree that RD has a major axe to grind with the RC faith and it is just tedious.

I really couldnt believe that he had Roopesh Panicker on the show again. He told his story the last time he was on, so the interview served no purpose other than furthering one of Ray's own agendas. He's abusing the power that being a DJ on the national broadcaster gives, in the same way that Joe Duffy does i.e. shoehorning his own pet items on to the show and passing it off as being "driven by callers"

I really couldnt believe that he had Roopesh Panicker on the show again. He told his story the last time he was on, so the interview served no purpose other than furthering one of Ray's own agendas. He's abusing the power that being a DJ on the national broadcaster gives, in the same way that Joe Duffy does i.e. shoehorning his own pet items on to the show and passing it off as being "driven by callers"

But they 'all' do this! Maybe it's like being an author - write what you know about and/or are interested in. Each and every presenter of a radio/ TV/ newspaper column has a particular set of agendas/ topics that they return to regularly. If you're attuned to those agendas you tend to listen, view, read them - if not, you tend to pass over them, turn them off. The long term trick for broadcasters and newspapers I guess is to have people with agendas that appeal to their customer base.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Roopesh Panicker..... For some reason that name always reminds me of the letters page in Viz magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ray people watch "reeling in the years" cause its only 10yrs after the fact that RTE can tell ya what really happened !

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Is it possible for him to talk down any more to that fella ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

pointing out the typo on the lads cv

classy stuff:rolleyes:

pointing out the typo on the lads cv

classy stuff:rolleyes:

Maybe you should get yourself a job ?

What a bad interviewer he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Maybe you should get yourself a job ?

What a bad interviewer he is.

if it wasn't so serious it'd be funny! what was d'arcy thinking. you can tell ray cant stand him.

• Advertisement

Are RTE's researchers going around bringing in homeless people to put on radio to get jobs for them? Duffy had a similar lad on last week.

digzy wrote: »
    if it wasn't so serious it'd be funny! what was d'arcy thinking. you can tell ray cant stand him.

Do you know anyone in prison ??

Are your friends all dead ??

That idiot all but said parents supply the money and not the tooth fairy, at 3pm on national radio. Seriously does he think before he talks ???

How many kids are in the car on the way home from school at this time:rolleyes:

Ok then he redeems himself by mentioning the Today FM album in honour of Tony Fenton and Cancer Society.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

That idiot all but said parents supply the money and not the tooth fairy, at 3pm on national radio. Seriously does he think before he talks ???

Not Rays anyway - they run home from school.

Same yesterday. He had a woman talking about heavy periods and clots.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Same yesterday. He had a woman talking about heavy periods and clots.

He did give a warning about that but they started the segment giggling like kids,.

Ray & George.....................oh jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Asked Packie Bonner his height, but then it's probably an acceptable question for a goalkeeper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Asked Packie Bonner his height, but then it's probably an acceptable question for a goalkeeper

Cmon, of course it is.

Getting a tad anal here, methinks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement