Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1, 1263, 1610**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Plus, I think those of you complaining about the holidays are just jealous. I mean, I think they're abhorrent too, but if I got a job in RTE tomorrow morning, you better believe I'd be taking full advantage of them. Blame the system that's exploitable, not the person who exploits it IMO.

Is it not ok to call him out on being a hypocrite though? Down through the years D'arcy has been more vocal than most about the fatcats in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Expunge

He probably deserves about four books worth of JNLRs before we truly see where he is. He was up for a start and he may very well continue to build the audience in that slot.
    Unfortunately, many people are idiots and think that shoite he does on the radio is worth listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Is it not ok to call him out on being a hypocrite though? Down through the years D'arcy has been more vocal than most about the fatcats in RTE.

Oh I know, but it doesn't change the fact that anyone in D'Arcy's position would do the exact same. I don't get why we'd expect him to do anything different.

If it's written into someone's contract that they're entitled to X days holidays, does anyone here legitimately think ANYONE would not take them just to make some sort of point?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No I'd say it was more like:

Jenny: "Ray, it's time to get up out of bed, your porridge is going cold".
    Ray: "*sigh* Haaaaaaaaaa. No not getting up, Mario was right. Buzzkill D'Arcy, that's me. No good, never will be".
    Jenny: "Oh come on Ray, not this sh1te again.".
    Ray: "Ah but you seeee, I'm right though. I'm staying in bed. Now where's that light switch til I turn it off. Why's that not working".
    I can't read that without hearing marios impression of ray.

neris wrote: »
    Dont forget Ray also his lecturing to fat people show on how they should eat porridge and run operation transformation gig to get through aswell. doubt he,ll be under a bus anytime soon. unfortunately.

Hang on ray is hosting operation transformation ? 😳 Isn't that show supposed to encourage people to lose weight in a positive way ? Jesus that will be horrendous if ray is himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Plus, I think those of you complaining about the holidays are just jealous.

This tired old nonsense, really?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ThisRegard wrote: »
    This tired old nonsense, really?

Come on, can anyone here honestly say that, if they could, they wouldn't take the amount of holidays D'Arcy/all RTE "names" do?

I know I certainly would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭roshje

Come on, can anyone here honestly say that, if they could, they wouldn't take the amount of holidays D'Arcy/all RTE "names" do?

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Of course I would take the holidays and it would still make me a hypocrite if I had previously made a point of criticising those same entitlements. That's the point.
    Of course your main point is correct, it's the organisation that allows this and people will exploit it,naturally.
    He will be in RTE until he feels like leaving. People are habitual and there is little real debate about the merits of sustaining RTE.
    In my view it should be pay per view. If you want to watch The Late Late or Nationwide or D'arcy then pay for it yourself, don't force me to pay for it if I don't watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Some of the posters that day in day out bitch and moan about RTE radio and tv but listen and watch it every day, are hypocritical and also part of the problem.

All the RTE presenters laughing away at this no doubt - "even our haters listen to us" they must be saying to themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Some of the posters that day in day out bitch and moan about RTE radio and tv but listen and watch it every day, are hypocritical and also part of the problem.

All the RTE presenters laughing away at this no doubt - "even our haters listen to us" they must be saying to themselves.

I pay €320 pa in TV License fees

Fees which also fund Radio 1

I expect to be able to use that which I pay for

We are free to comment on RTE wasting our funds in overpaying talentless gimps such as Darcy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Of course I would take the holidays and it would still make me a hypocrite if I had previously made a point of criticising those same entitlements. That's the point.
    Of course you're main point is correct, it's the organisation that allows this and people will exploit it,naturally.
    He will be in RTE until he feels like leaving. People are habitual and there is little real debate about the merits of sustaining RTE.
    In my view it should be pay per view. If you want to watch The Late Late or Nationwide or D'arcy then pay for it yourself, don't force me to pay for it if I don't watch it.

I arrived home tonight to find the TV licence inspector had left a notice saying they had visited and would call again. My wife and i only just got married and moved so money is tight especially coming up to Xmas. I guess I'll pay- I can scarcely afford the fee so I definitely can't afford the penalty. This is the first time however that I really feel, to borrow a phrase, "mad as hell " and resentful of RTE. I actually don't have a problem with the water charges - that's a utility I use. But the tv licence... instead of going out for a meal with my wife or putting the money into our honeymoon fund a not-insignificant portion of my weely wage will be put towards the two salaries going into the D'Arcy household, or Vogue Williams' next vanity project or something equally pointless.

I don't know how practical it would be, but I 100% agree with Yosser: why should I be paying for a product which frankly disgusts me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

jooksavage wrote: »
    I arrived home tonight to find the TV licence inspector had left a notice saying they had visited and would call again. My wife and i only just got married and moved so money is tight especially coming up to Xmas. I guess I'll pay- I can scarcely afford the fee so I definitely can't afford the penalty. This is the first time however that I really feel, to borrow a phrase, "mad as hell " and resentful of RTE. I actually don't have a problem with the water charges - that's a utility I use. But the tv licence... instead of going out for a meal with my wife or putting the money into our honeymoon fund a not-insignificant portion of my weely wage will be put towards the two salaries going into the D'Arcy household, or Vogue Williams' next vanity project or something equally pointless.

I don't know how practical it would be, but I 100% agree with Yosser: why should I be paying for a product which frankly disgusts me?

Our society is largely comprised of sheep so the wolves will have the upper hand until we realise that we have a democracy, a majority of decency and sharp hooves. First we try the ballot box, then we take to the streets and after that, sure 2016 is just around the corner. Wouldn't that be a turnip for the books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

First off there should be a license fee payers independent representative body to run a rule over RTEs wastrel spending

Also, when you pay your licence there should be a RTE kill vote on the back of it

Whoever gets the most votes gets axed as its apparent that people's habitual tuning behaviour creates false ratings for crap presenters.

The opportunity to vote out the buzzkill might increase licence fee paying compliance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

my friend wrote:
    I pay €320 pa in TV License fees

my friend wrote:
    I expect to be able to use that which I pay for

my friend wrote:
    We are free to comment on RTE wasting our funds in overpaying talentless gimps such as Darcy

The haters are also well able to dish it out but unable to take it.

You are compelled by law to pay the licence fee. You are not compelled to listen to it. The less ratings RTE gets, the less money RTE makes in advertising and so the less they'll pay the presenters. Listening to it day in day out and then moaning about it on boards or wherever is odd to say the least. Sad even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I wouldn't imagine Ray would be too happy with Daves first song selection today. We three kings of orient are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

the less money RTE makes in advertising and so the less they'll pay the presenters.

have you heard the amount of non RTE ads on rte 1 lately? theres hardly any yet they still pay the big bucks. Most ads on rte are for rte shows, rte sponsored events or the rte orchestra

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

//MOD

Radio show people not license fee is what this thread is about...

//MOD

Dave: there are a few things in front of me. It's a radio desk Dave you've more then likely seen one before.

I would too, I probably get as much as him anyway. But I don't think people aren't complaining because of jealously.

• Advertisement

I found it very coincidental that Ray took two Mondays in a row off though as on the 1st one he,d been slatted for the Pamela Anderson interview two days before on tv and then the week after there was a skit on Mario Rosenstock about him which was spot on Darcy and we know ray doesnt have a sense of humor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Just listening to that advertisement with the "good news headlines". I've been calling Joe Duffy my good news headlines all week.

Duffy:"And today Dave Fanning standing in for Ray". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Teresa (Mannion - who else? ;)) on with Ray in a few minutes. Wonder if he will be blown away? ................. Will get my coat!!!

Buzz kills back..... From d holidays no less. Im sure he didnt take the kids out of school during term. Though it only took him ten minutes to name drop one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Teresa (Mannion - who else? ;)) on with Ray in a few minutes. Wonder if he will be blown away? ................. Will get my coat!!!

Jazus.. That's all I can say!

Reporter reports from a bit of a storm and they are bigging it up like the fifth secret of Fatima or something.

She stood out in the rain for a while- what's the big deal here?

And got well paid for it.

Jesus, he's awful today. Stilted delivery of reading messages and telling storied, and the compulsory **** up with the buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

brooke 2 wrote: »

Wonder will he make ant snide,or crude remarks about getting blown,like Pam my being "stacked".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Jesus, he's awful today. Stilted delivery of reading messages and telling storied, and the compulsory **** up with the buttons.

Had that guy on for the millionth time talking about saving that woman.

"And you knew her from years back, but hadnt seen here in a while"
    "And you had run with her for a while and then ran on"
    "And you then stopped to stretch and she passed you."

Dreadful stuff. Everybody is well aware of the story, there was no need to repeat it yet again.

Is not being able to use the equipment a joke he is having with listeners or does he actually not know how to use the equipment even after all this time ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

Yaaay as Ray would say:

In my opinion this guy is a complete Pillock !

How the national Broadcaster paid him the mega shillings from our fees is a mystery.

No! wait ...no mystery...not their brass...so what did they care...took D'arcy AND the wife ..must be close to 450K salaries there.

Don't blame him ...blame the fool that hired him ....who?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement